Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Trading

Old 10-01-2003, 12:42 PM   #61
neil_eats
Eskimo Regular

i expected this kind ofmelodramatic responce to my question. i want to burn them to cd and i want them on my hard drive aswell, mp3 is the smaller size with not noticeable quality changes not on my pc speakers anyways.
neil_eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 12:54 PM   #62
spiff
Eskimo Regular

I do the exact same. Have all my concerts burned onto cd in lossless format and then have a few of my favourite songs from the concerts converted to mp3 on my pc so I can listen to them whenever I'm using my computer. They take up less room that way (it's amazing how quickly you can fill a 40gig hard drive!).

If you're not trading them with anyone who really gives a crap?
Old 10-01-2003, 01:00 PM   #63
neil_eats
Eskimo Regular

exactly spiff
Old 10-01-2003, 01:05 PM   #64
Mario
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff

I do the exact same. Have all my concerts burned onto cd in lossless format and then have a few of my favourite songs from the concerts converted to mp3 on my pc so I can listen to them whenever I'm using my computer. They take up less room that way (it's amazing how quickly you can fill a 40gig hard drive!).

If you're not trading them with anyone who really gives a crap?

If you have a CD burner, then you have a CD reader, just put the CD back in.
Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 01:06 PM   #65
Mario
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannadanna
OK so I think what most of us are agreeing on is that there definitely should be some sort of standard in taping Damien Rice show's. I mean, it definitely isn't too late to start, as 1-3 years isnt that long in bootlegging terms+it's usually not that hard to get the sources for most rec nowadays since most tapers/owners of the masters are well known... so basically i think a site should be set up, (like www.livenirvana.com) well comprising atleast of a tour date timeline+all known surfaced/unsurfaced gigs and their sources.

Am I correct in saying that this would be the best (and probably easiest) way to regulate all damien rice recordings?

You're very correct. And as soon as I get caught up on Crim law and Torts I have emailing you on the list of things to do. Congratulations!! You just got yourself sucked into helping me create a site.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:13 PM   #66
spiff
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario

Well when you have about five or so Damien concerts (each on 2cds) plus a whole load of concerts from other artists I listen to it can be quite annoying rooting through a pile of cds and taking them in and out of the cd drive (especially when my d:\ drive is a bastard to get at). Plus, as I said, I usually just listen to certain songs from a concert depending on my mood so it would be even more tedious putting in a concert cd just to listen to two or three songs before putting in another cd to listen to other songs.

Don't worry, whenever I trade cds I always use lossless (where possible). I'm in full agreement with the whole trading in lossless formats etc that has been discussed extensively here. But that doesn't mean I don't think .shn or .wav files should ever be converted to mp3 for personal use or if someone (i.e. a lot of Irish people) are stuck with a 56k modem connection and just want to download one specific song from a concert (e.g. BD2) to hear what it sounds like.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:27 PM   #67
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

Right, i've just spent ages reading this forum right from the start!

Mario, yourplan for trading Damo's stuff is a great idea, and i'd be glad to get my hands on good quality recordings. Scon has been fighting that corner for a while now. I've got broadband connection and havent used it to its full potential (interms of downloading music, although i've used up all 60GB's using Kazaa and iMesh over the last two years!). Although i'm not exactly computer illiterate I'm not sure how to go about any of the above.

I've downloaded and installed "WS_FTP Pro Window" to connect to the ftp site you gave us, and downloaded a fewfiles, but they're mp3 files that opened as text files. I'm not sure what i doing here.Maybe you could take us newcomers to all this, through it???

ps: Angela. Thanx for sticking up for us backward stoneage farmers here in Eire! [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
just to prove to me that you can
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
daol20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 02:44 PM   #68
Mario
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by daol20

I've downloaded and installed "WS_FTP Pro Window" to connect to the ftp site you gave us, and downloaded a few*files, but they're mp3 files that opened as text files. I'm not sure what i doing here.*Maybe you could take us newcomers to all this, through it???

Wow, honestly, Im not sure what you are doing. I assume you're not talking about having actually downloaded the txt files, right? Im unfamiliar with ws_FTP
Old 10-01-2003, 02:54 PM   #69
spiff
Eskimo Regular

I downloaded some mp3's fromMario's ftp server using WS_FTP and didn't have any problems with opening them. Never heard of mp3's opening as text files before! Maybe try and use another ftp program like smartftp (http://www.smartftp.com/download/) and see if the problem persists
Old 10-01-2003, 03:22 PM   #70
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

I think it could be a default setting in options, i'll have a mess around with it.

Im downloading the .shn files now? How do they work? do they play in media player?

To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
Old 10-01-2003, 03:50 PM   #71
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Now that is silly! Why should I risk scratching my CD's to hear music on the PC!

*shakes head* [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 03:54 PM   #72
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:

ps: Angela. Thanx for sticking up for us backward stoneage farmers here in Eire! [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]</font>
Europeans have to stick together [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2003, 03:56 PM   #73
Mario
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela
Quote:
Now that is silly! Why should I risk scratching my CD's to hear music on the PC!

Sarcasm, right? Slightly confused.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:58 PM   #74
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:

I think it could be a default setting in options, i'll have a mess around with it.</font>

Im downloading the .shn files now? How do they work? do they play in media player?</font>
I think you might have to switch from ASCII to binary downloads. See if there's a setting like that.

See a few posts above where I put a link to a SHN decompression utility (Windows XP & 2000 only). SHN are almost like ZIP files. The utility decompresses them to WAV format. Easy to use, too. You then play the WAV file or burn the WAV files to CD.

If you burn a CD, don't forget to remove the 2 sec pauses between tracks!
Old 10-01-2003, 04:01 PM   #75
spiff
Eskimo Regular

Quote:

I think it could be a default setting in options, i'll have a mess around with it.

Im downloading the .shn files now? How do they work? do they play in media player?

You need to decode them to .wav to be able to play them. Think this was covered in replies by both Angela and I above. You can use either MKW (http://www.etree.org/mkw.html) or Softsound (http://www.softsound.com/Shorten.html) to convert .shn files to .wav

edit: man, Angela beat me to it again, I'll keep quiet in future!Edited by: spiff
Old 10-01-2003, 04:02 PM   #76
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
No, I meant it. I also have most of the stuff I regularly listen to as MP3's on my PC. Though I have Klipsch speakers I don't hear the difference to WAV files. I have too many albums on my hard disk to devote 600 MB to each CD.

I play CD's only in my (much better) discman or stereo system.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:04 PM   #77
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:

edit: man, Angela beat me to it again, I'll keep quiet in future!
We are in synch, spiff [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] I better go get a cup of coffee [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img] I don't mean to "beat" you!
Old 10-01-2003, 04:09 PM   #78
spiff
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
We are in synch, spiff [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] I better go get a cup of coffee [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img] I don't mean to "beat" you!

"beat" is the wrong word to use I suppose. Quicker typer might be more apt! Dunno 'bout a coffee but it's 21:11 here so it's high time I got myself to the pub. Only two hours drinking time left!

Old 10-01-2003, 04:19 PM   #79
Scon
Eskimo Regular

You can aslo play SHN's straight in Winamp with SHNamp,

http://www.etree.org/shnamp.html
Scon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 05:12 PM   #80
hannadanna
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
You're very correct. And as soon as I get caught up on Crim law and Torts I have emailing you on the list of things to do. Congratulations!! You just got yourself sucked into helping me create a site.
*rolls eyes to sky..* what have i done? ok mario, you you have a deal. Try and get geoff, scon+anyone else who has a decent sized collection/knowledge when it comes to damo boots.

il wait with baited breath on your email!
hannadanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 05:38 PM   #81
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
"beat" is the wrong word to use I suppose. Quicker typer might be more apt! Dunno 'bout a coffee but it's 21:11 here so it's high time I got myself to the pub. Only two hours drinking time left!
I knew what you meant, though [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] It was 16:11 here, perfect coffee time [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2003, 01:33 AM   #82
neil_eats
Eskimo Regular

80 replies, well done pal thats one hell of a topic
Old 10-02-2003, 11:16 AM   #83
Mario
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Quote:
No, I meant it.

But you think your CDs get scratched by playing them in a computer drive?
Old 10-02-2003, 11:46 AM   #84
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
But you think your CDs get scratched by playing them in a computer drive?
In the sense that I don't pay much attention when I slide them into the drawer and they are constantly in and out of the jewel cases. [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]

My stereo, on the other hand, has a 50 CD carousel. [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2003, 11:50 AM   #85
Mario
Eskimo Regular

I sent off three emails to get working on a site. Anyone not get an email and want to help?

By help I mean significant contribution to creating a site to accompany the FTP.

Once we get that running, I'll be looking for people to just run servers, trees, and spread info.

If you want to donate significant time, post with your email and I'll get in touch with you.
Old 10-03-2003, 05:36 AM   #86
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

I dont know how much help i'll be, (what with not knowing much about using 'ftp') but i'm happy to give any help i can.
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
Old 10-04-2003, 02:56 AM   #87
skysosmrt
Eskimo Baby

I'm a newbie to all this FTP stuff. How does it exactly work? If I access the FTP, will I be able to download songs? The only way I've downloaded songs was as .wav or MP3 files. Other than that I get cds. So how can I download some of Damien's shows? Can any give me a step-by-step summary? Like what programs to download, and what to do with the programs?

I recently went to his show earlier this week when he played in Vancouver but alas, I had no recording equipment, and so nothing to trade.

thanks,

Emily.
skysosmrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 10:22 AM   #88
spiff
Eskimo Regular

Hopefully this will make it easier for people who are having trouble downloading the shows:
Step 1:
You need to download an ftp program if you don't have one already.
An easy one to use is WS FTP (Limited edition is free, you have to pay for the full version). You can download it from http://download.com.com/3000-2160-1572132.html
Another good one is smartftp (http://www.smartftp.com/download/)
Step 2:
The host address for Mario's ftp server is: 24.193.247.136
User name is: Damien ... Password: Rice
Once you log in, you'll see three folders on the ftp server. The "Lossy Format Tracks" are shows in mp3. The "Shn Complete Shows" are obviously enough shows in .shn format and the "Upload" folder is where people can upload new shows.
If you download any show in .shn you need to decode it to .wav to be able to play it or record it to cd. You can use either MKW (http://www.etree.org/mkw.html) or Softsound (http://www.softsound.com/Shorten.html) to convert .shn files to .wav
Old 10-04-2003, 11:03 AM   #89
Corkey
Eskimo Baby

I downloaded the ftp programme but whenever i go to the ftp site and type in the user name and password it still doesn't work. Anyone know how to help me out
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 11:19 AM   #90
spiff
Eskimo Regular

Might be firewall settings or something. If you were using WS FTP did it look like this before you hit 'ok' to connect?

Edited by: spiff