Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 05-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Default Delicate vs. new Mraz

a couple people have mentioned to me that the new Jason Mraz single, called I Won't Give Up, sounds pretty similar to Damo's Delicate!!

What do you reckon????? I don't see much similarity myself, more than the tempo...
Old 05-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
glo32
Eskimo Regular

It's not the first time I hear this comparison, but I heard the whole new Mraz album sounds like "early Damien Rice". Not sure what it means... I gave a listen to it and doesn't sound like Damien at all to me...
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I downloaded the last Mraz album and found it unlistenable, but i've never been a fan of Mraz...

don't see much similarity between this and Delicate either
Old 05-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
Rai
Eskimontologist

The chorus does sound a bit like Delicate, but the verses are much closer to an old David Kitt song, Sweet Summer Morning.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
Undocorkscrew
Eskimo Friend

Yeah, don't see a whole lot in common. His new album especially sounds nothing like 'O' aside from it being at a slower tempo than his previous stuff.
Undocorkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Yup, I see three main elements of similarity just on first listen: 1) a few chords from delicate ARE the same right before he starts singing (38-42 seconds in and repeated later throughout). 2) The chorus IS pretty similar (try singing Delicate's over it). 3) The unexpected way both go from quiet and gentle to very passionate, achy shouting half-way through and then back down.

Not anywhere near as bald-faced as Gaga was about simply renaming "What's Up?" to "You and I" or "Express Yourself" to "Born This Way" but still pretty hard to deny he borrowed more than a little.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

I can hear it but that's how music goes. Only so many options. I liked this review though.

Atmospherics: It's like if someone took Damien Rice's "Delicate" and said, "Hey, you know what might be cool? If I took this and kind of tried to turn this into a country song." Gross. Combining two things tangentially similar like that never works. Oh, except for Dinocroc. Dinocroc worked like gangbusters. I mean, he feeds on fear, bro. FEAR. He's like Freddy Kreuger, except he can get you when you're awake too. That's terrifying.

...****, my fear just fed him again. He's getting stronger. That's terrifying too.

...OH****IDIDITAGAIN!!! DINOCROC WILL NEVER DIE!!!
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:18 AM   #8
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet View Post
Yup, I see three main elements of similarity just on first listen: 1) a few chords from delicate ARE the same right before he starts singing (38-42 seconds in and repeated later throughout). 2) The chorus IS pretty similar (try singing Delicate's over it). 3) The unexpected way both go from quiet and gentle to very passionate, achy shouting half-way through and then back down.

Not anywhere near as bald-faced as Gaga was about simply renaming "What's Up?" to "You and I" or "Express Yourself" to "Born This Way" but still pretty hard to deny he borrowed more than a little.
similar to 'grey room', the chords are basically C and F (with capo) with hammer ons, which are pretty common and part of many song compositions....I believe their is a song out their Identical to Grey room (relased later) which is not a surprise, but i dont believe Damien 'invented' this pattern
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #9
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

It's not because those 2 common chords are shared (here and in countless other songs) it's because of where they're placed, the ringing out resolve, identical soft strum pattern and context tempo which combine to make it so prominent.

In both this and "Delicate" they come right at the end of the instrumental introduction and sustain in an otherwise silence immediately before the first line is sung which makes for something of a hook (and I'd argue it's the pulloff rather than the hammer-ons since those aren't what's shared). Had he buried them under the melody it probably wouldn't have made anyone even notice.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #10
Lin@
Eskimo Regular

It never would have occurred to me, but now that you guys mention it, the chorus does sound a tiny little bit similar. But there are much more blatant "rip-offs" out there. Plants and Animals have a song called "Good Friend", which reminds me of "Me, My Yoke, and I" every single time I listen to it.