Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 12-25-2006, 07:05 AM   #1
mickey13086
Eskimo with a name..Chris

Default Juniper thoughts... pining for a reunion of one song..

Its that time of the year again... and again... that I get back into all my juniper tracks... its so much fun to listen to the songs that have made it into damien's solo career, as well as bellx1's...

one thing i found out (that i think i found out a while ago, but forgot lol) was that in the song, 'down' he borrowed the last 4 lines and uses them in 'then go' of his solo career.... and juniper's 'then go' doesn't have those lines... i wonder why he did this... my best guess is he liked those lines so much but didn't see 'down' as being one of the better songs...AND we all know Damien likes to pick and choose from other songs and nothing is ever a final copy it seems ... any other thoughts about this or the song 'down' in general... i like it, but im not too sure about the lyrics as I haven't gone into great detail of analyzing or even bothering with them. just like the song i guess.

edit: the four lines I'm talking about from 'down':

I would have ____ for you (? no way of telling but I don't think its "lied")
I would have ____ for you (? no way of telling)
I always tried for you.
I would have died for you...

The 'Then Go' lines are:

I would've lied for you
I would've cried for you
I crossed the line for you
I would've died for you...

Also, I wonder if one day, Damien just found the voice we have come to love? His voice in some songs sound just so much different, not worse, just raspier, and nasaly... and I must admit I really like junipers music sometimes as much as Damien's now... I like the full band and the guitars...and it's not even usually the kind of music I would like...

And since this is already long... I will say, there are some songs that I'm sure Damien is embarassed of... some are just bad in my opinion... but who doesn't have a bad song or two? I know we'll never see it, but a tour with Bell X1 or a reunion for at least one show, or one song, would make me happy for a very long time... why couldn't Bell X1 just open for them, then after their set, Damien comes on and they do 3 songs together, and then Damien does his own thing... is that too much to ask?

MySpace

Last edited by mickey13086; 12-25-2006 at 07:14 AM.
mickey13086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 09:08 AM   #2
tywy
Eskimo Regular

well at those couple of charity gigs in vicar st a few years ago both bell x1 and damo were on the line up. everyone on the line up came together at the end to cover some song. I remember one of the songs was Down by the River and I think the other one was kiss. Good fun those gigs were.
tywy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 06:22 PM   #3
Mr Benn.
Eskimo Regular

I'm not too sold on the Juniper stuff. All the recordings seem to be slightly uncomfortable to listen to. Even the My yoke version which is incredibly similar to damien's own version just has something about it that doesn't quite sound like music. I think it's possibly because as a band they maybe didn't get on that well and it is reflected in the music. Any one else feel this?
Should I wipe up the stain?
And if I'm low
Can I drown in this rain?
I guess I'm no good
I guess I'm insane
Mr Benn. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:28 PM   #4
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Benn.
I think it's possibly because as a band they maybe didn't get on that well and it is reflected in the music. Any one else feel this?
If they were at all uncomfortable (and undoubtedly they were during the later recording sessions) it was with the record company and not with themselves. From what I gather they all remain close to this day.

Certainly judging from the recordings they seemed a little more relaxed in the earlier ones... or at least I think so.

As for them getting back together, I'd love if they just did a gig for charity or something since it seems highly unlikely they'll actually get back together!
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:19 PM   #5
mickey13086
Eskimo with a name..Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closing_Doors
As for them getting back together, I'd love if they just did a gig for charity or something since it seems highly unlikely they'll actually get back together!

I second that.

MySpace
mickey13086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:22 PM   #6
netheredgeman
Eskimo Regular

Bell X1 were the support for the Damien Rice gig at the Beacon Theater NYC NY on 2004 - 05 -03 - setlists are as follows:

Bell X1
2004-05-03
Beacon Theater,

New York City

1. Snakes & Snakes
2. Next to You
3. Alphabet Soup
4. Eve, The Apple of My Eye
5. Offshore
6. Tongue
7. White Water Song
8. I'll See Your Heart & I'll Raise You Mine

Damien Rice
The Beacon TheatreNYC, NY

Insane->prague
delicate
baby sister
amie
woman like a man
cannonball
seven nation army
the professor
me, my yoke and i
older chests
i remember
play dead
cold water/ hallelujah

blower's daughter
eskimo volcano-> be my husband
love hurts
in the highways

The other gig mentioned in the thread above was On Wednesday January 28th 2004, Vicar St = a concert to mark the Dublin music community’s response to the earthquake which devastated the Iranian city of Bam on St. Stephen’s Day, killing over 40,000 people.

The night included solo performances from Lisa Hannigan, Paul Noonan (Bell X1), Steve and Joe Wall, cellist Vyvienne Long, the Tycho Brahe, Shakram Music and Dance Company and other special guests one of whom was Damien Rice.

Tomo was one half of the organising team for this benefit gig.
netheredgeman is offline   Reply With Quote