Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Lisa Hannigan > Lisa Hannigan

Old 05-02-2011, 12:13 AM   #1
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Default favourite lisa´s line

i was listening "teeth" (one of my fav songs) on my way back home and i thought of sharing my favourite line ever:
"i had a swing when my salt was my own". it´s a beautiful metaphor and it means a lot to me, for several reason.

this is not a "game" (but it could be, if you want it to), but if you feel in the mood of sharing yours, i´d be glad to read them

Last edited by verenita; 05-02-2011 at 12:15 AM.
verenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:58 AM   #2
ko210
Eskimo Regular

I love every part of "Pistachio".

I do - like sugar - tend toward the brittle and sticky when spun...

youtube
ko210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
saskia
Eskimo Regular

I love "the bristles of my brushes spin you into my curls today" from Ocean and a Rock because I have curly hair, too!

Footfalls echo in the memory
Down the passage which we did not take
Towards the door we never opened
Into the rose-garden.

T.S. Eliot
saskia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

my fav is 'I went to war every morning' in Lille, the idea that your relationship with someone is so messed up that it's like a war...

but Vere, I never understood that line in Teeth of the swing and the salt, do u mind explaining it???
Old 05-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
Joyful
Eskimama

Teeth is my favorite Lisa song, for sure. Lots of great lyrics, a little biting, but still soft. Love it. My favorite lines are:
"The bends in your brain and your elaborate pain
Makes me tired"

Makes me think of almost every relationship that I have had previous to my husband. Lots of deep but depressive ****ers, and it's exhausting. So glad to not have to deal with that anymore. It also makes me think that it's about Damien and their relationship.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:21 PM   #6
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
my fav is 'I went to war every morning' in Lille, the idea that your relationship with someone is so messed up that it's like a war...

but Vere, I never understood that line in Teeth of the swing and the salt, do u mind explaining it???
oh, marti... i´m surprised, i must to say
well... for me it´s pretty clear (well, that´s what i feel about the line)... when you feel that you sort of *need* dependent on someone else to unfold yourself or if you want or look for someone´s approval (this makes me think of alanis´ song, "your congratulations", what a song! btw), but then you realize that if would be nice, of course, but it´s not a need for sure to make you know that you are capable of doing whatever you want to do and to get to wherever you want to get to... so, the *swing* depends on yourself.
the *salt* part comes from this property of the sea... a salty sea. so, if the salt is your own, then the swing is your own too... if it makes any sense.

sorry, but "lo terrible de la belleza es que es intransmisible, salvo cuando aquel que intentamos que la absorba la lleva en sí sin conocerla."

Last edited by verenita; 05-02-2011 at 11:44 PM.
verenita is offline   Reply With Quote