Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > www.EskimoFriends.com > www.EskimoFriends.com

Old 10-27-2006, 12:19 AM   #1
Fool
Eskimo Fool

Default Just a late night idea...

...how about a 'Covers' forum?

With the release of the new album, I imagine there's going to be a spew of covers done (there will be by me anyway).

Just the release of 9 Crimes resulted in the musicians forum being taken over with covers, maybe it'll clean it up a bit.

And also, then, if people wanna hear Damo songs that maybe they can't find, they could listen to a cover to get an idea of the song, or if they just fancy listening to some other musicians.

Maybe an 'Mp3' forum? For people to share all their songs, be it covers or original...I dunno, it's late and I'm just using my last little bits of energy with my brain.

Goodnight all
Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:17 AM   #2
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool
...how about a 'Covers' forum?

With the release of the new album, I imagine there's going to be a spew of covers done (there will be by me anyway).

Just the release of 9 Crimes resulted in the musicians forum being taken over with covers, maybe it'll clean it up a bit.

And also, then, if people wanna hear Damo songs that maybe they can't find, they could listen to a cover to get an idea of the song, or if they just fancy listening to some other musicians.

Maybe an 'Mp3' forum? For people to share all their songs, be it covers or original...I dunno, it's late and I'm just using my last little bits of energy with my brain.

Goodnight all
Surely covers could be put into a thread, if you were to start one? and there's a covers page on the site already

IF u wanna check out any o' my songs have a looky on my music myspace
|
\ /
v
Old 10-27-2006, 01:09 PM   #3
Bumpman

There was a covers project a long time ago, it took up a massive amount of bandwidth so Admin had to shut it down. Covers aren't exactly the most exciting thing in the world though, maybe other people feel a bit differently about it. It just seems that it's always the same thing being posted.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:44 PM   #4
Niko
Eskimo Regular

But if the theoretical "Covers" forum just had links to outside hosts, it wouldn't take up anywhere near as much bandwidth, would it?

I've got to admit though, I'm not overly excited by all the covers that get posted on here. It kinda gets a bit samey after a while. And no-one's gonna do the songs better than Damien and co anyway, are they?
Old 10-28-2006, 12:15 AM   #5
Bumpman

Well it depends on who's hosting, you'll see here that this site was hosting the covers when they were up, I would assume that if it was to go up properly, then people would want it to be stable, which means local hosting, and that's down the the nice chap who's giving over his bandwidth for the good of the mp3/video pages.

If you ask me there's definitely the possibility that people could bring something new to the songs if they covered them, there's always different interpretations that can bring something new to the fold. I'd agree with you though, any past experience that I've had with hearing people cover the songs has been people trying to sound like Damien. Which for the most part is unlistenable, because it ends up being a race to see who's the best at sounding like someone else. For me it completely sucks the pleasure out of the music... I think we'd end up with a semi-patronising 'tell me I'm good' section of the site.

(Feel free to tear me a new A-hole for the above.)
Old 10-28-2006, 01:09 AM   #6
Niko
Eskimo Regular

Oh yeah, I totally agree that there's nothing wrong with the idea of cover versions. It's just that old maxim that a cover either has to be better than the original or to bring something new to the song. Otherwise, as you say, it's just a case of doing an impression of the original artist.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:00 AM   #7
corkboyinexile
Irish Eskimo by birth

Maybe it could consist of the strangest covers to date, ie a free jazz version of Cheers Darlin'.............I for one would like to hear that!
Old 10-28-2006, 10:52 AM   #8
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Why not start a thread in the musicians forum for people to post links to their own covers?

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 11:02 AM   #9
Bumpman

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkboyinexile
Maybe it could consist of the strangest covers to date, ie a free jazz version of Cheers Darlin'.............I for one would like to hear that!
I would too, that would be worth a night out to hear. Maybe an electropop Volcano Does anyone remember Damo talking about their 'country version' of Delicate? I never did get to hear that. The issue I have with most people who cover Damien's songs (here and in real life) is that it's always 'here's a version I can do on my guitar, I think it sounds like Damien' rather then 'here's a version that I've done X and Y to'.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:17 PM   #10
gbs3769
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
I would assume that if it was to go up properly, then people would want it to be stable, which means local hosting, and that's down the the nice chap who's giving over his bandwidth for the good of the mp3/video pages.
It could be done. I actually just got a new hosting plan with the company that I am using for the mp3/video pages and now I have some extra storage space. I used to only have around 3GB of storage but now I am up to 25GB so it is a little easier to provide space for things like this.

If it is something you guys want to bring back, I have the space and bandwidth to do it.

- Matt
Old 10-30-2006, 09:59 PM   #11
Fool
Eskimo Fool

I wasn't just referring to covers of Damien songs. There's an awful lot of musicians/songwriters on this forum, I just think it'd be nice if there's a place (that doesn't clog up the forum) for people to put anything they've done, be it original, Damien covers or covers of Michael Jackson. Basically somewhere to vent all our creativity without obstructing other users use of the forum.

I'd completely forgotten about the covers that used to be on the site, I remember now I used to really enjoy scrolling through those. I remember finding a great version of 'Insane' once.

Anyway, just a thought, maybe just a thread would be good enough?
Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:00 AM   #12
gbs3769
Eskimo Regular

Regardless, if people have files that they want hosted for a project like that, let me know.

- Matt
Old 10-31-2006, 04:28 AM   #13
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

thank you matt! what a sweetheart

i always liked the covers project.. i liked hearing how fans put their own voice and music to the songs. there were some cringeworthy moments but there were some real gems in there too
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote