Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 10-30-2012, 01:03 AM   #1
Tennisandcello5
Eskimo Friend

Default Best Damien Rice Concerts

hey guys, I was wondering how many eskimos have actually been to a damien concert? If you have been id like to know what it was like. If you have gone more than once (JEALOUSY) then id love to know which one was your favorite!
i have never been so i thought maybe you guys could fill me in until i actually get the chance!
Tennisandcello5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:04 AM   #2
Tennisandcello5
Eskimo Friend

if you have gone to a damien AND lisa concert then i will worship you......
Old 10-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i was like you a few years ago... i´m from argentina and it was actually a sort of impossible dream to dream of to see damien live when i joined the igloo (he was barely known in my country and i was a "poor" student with a hippy spirit, therefore no money to save to travel and see him live anywhere), so what i did was read the gigs threads, definitely they will do until you find yourself waiting for damien to come up on stage... just keep believing

unfortunately, i´ve never had the chance to see the full band live and i know it´s not going to happen, but it´s ok, there´s a banch of reviews, photos, videos that i can still enjoy... and they are timeless
Old 10-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
Tennisandcello5
Eskimo Friend

thats encouraging i feel like the time will never come!! ive been saving up my money but its hardly anything.... i watch his youtube videos religiously, to the point where he doesnt seem real anymore. im just glad theres even a chance i could see him! i mean its a good thing i wasnt born 50 from now, that would have just been depressing... hes a big musical inspiration, and my even more impossible dream is to one day play with him. but hey, dare to dream right
he should play a special eskimo friends concert
Old 10-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^but where do you live? I take it you're not in Europe, cos he's played all over the place this summer...

I've been pretty lucky with Damien's gigs, cos when 9 came out I was living in California and Damo played there cazillions of times, even the album launch was there... and then this summer, I was living at that time in Italy and then Damo does an Italian tour of 4 dates

Some of my fav Damo gigs...

- The 9 album launch at El Rey in LA. My 1st time seeing Damo & Lisa together. Amazing show, tiniest place, almost every other song was a duet...
- The 2 shows at the Orpheum in LA in Dec'06. Two great nights in a row, with the Swellies opening for Damo, and last time I saw Damo/Lisa together
- The last show of the 9 Tour in La at the Greek. Great show, great setlist, first time hearing Insane.
- The show in Reykjavyk in 2008. Incredible solo show, kinda surreal, I remember me and my friend were the only non-Icelandish people at the show Amazing setlist, starting with Fool, played a bit of one of the songs to Barcelona... we all ended up onstage singing Cheers Darlin and drinking Heineken.
- the show in Paris this year. The return of Damo. Great show, loved to hear The Box for the first time. and then that aftershow, we waited like 2 hours but was worth it. We were like 20 people max and he did Insane, Back to Her Man and The Greatest Bastard.
- the whole Italian Tour this summer. Just travelling around Italy with a bunch of great people following Damien, who was so happy and relaxed, it was unbelievable. More aftershows, more new songs... and everything ended with the gig in Firenze, the best thing ever, with another incredible aftershow when he did again The Bastard. The whole evening was like a catarctic experience. And at the end we were all on cloud 9. Never been to a gig when at the end everybody was hugging each other out of pure happiness and cos we've shared such an incredible experience...
Old 10-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
Tennisandcello5
Eskimo Friend

i live in the USA! arghhh i have really wanted to move to LA and i was literally crying when i heard damien was playing a last minute gig there recently....

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!! I WORSHIP YOU!!!!! YOU HAVE SEEN IT ALL!!!!!
the videos from Paris and Reykjavyk are my favorites and you were there!!! you should have seen me, everytime a new gig date would come up i would pretend to buy tickets and then i would search youtube the day after for videos. it was torture because the shows looked amazing.. can we switch lives?? and you saw him with LISA!!!!!! AHHH!!! you are so lucky to have seen that, such a rare and beautiful pairing of amazing musicians..

it must have been so amazing following him around italy... im gonna go die of jealousy now.... and im not even a melodramatic person.. haha
Old 10-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #7
Tennisandcello5
Eskimo Friend

but seriously....you are my hero....beside damien of course ;P
Old 10-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
Beauseant
Little green

I'm still dreaming of a gig in Israel someday...
I would have gone to Istanbul just for him, but I couldn't
Beauseant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #9
Tennisandcello5
Eskimo Friend

i wish he would go to Poland! Im half polish and my father actually lives there still. and apparently the irish and polish get along well together hehe
Old 10-31-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

I've seen him live 12 times and only the last one (Radio City May, 07) was without Lisa.

My top 5 favorites that I attended would have to be:

Hiro, NYC (Nov 16, 06)
Odeon, Cleveland (April 24, 04)
Byham, Pittsburgh (Easter Sunday: April 11, 04)
Tower, Philadelphia (Dec 15, 06)
Beacon, NYC (Dec 12, 06)

No opener for first one but Frames opened next two and Swell Season the last two. Hung out after with Damo and/or full band for all but these two PA gigs because I was with other people who were driving back...
Old 11-01-2012, 04:05 AM   #11
Tennisandcello5
Eskimo Friend

Wow, I had no idea you guys had all seen damien so many times!! You are the real fans, or should I say eskimos I think that is so cool... So you actually hung out with him?? REALLY??
what was it like? I mean besides being obviously incredible it must have been so crazy... The last time without lisa how did he sound? was it a lot different, or did he just play like it wasnt obvious something was really wrong?
I am so glad I found this site
Old 11-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #12
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Here are a couple of the threads about my meetings with Damo and co (apologies for the word spacing issues that the archive's compressing of old posts causes):

http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/a...hp/t-3611.html

http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/a...p/t-12018.html

http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/a...p/t-12541.html

and I forgot the last time I saw them live wasn't actually Radio City but at MSG about 6 months later when Vyv invited us to party with them backstage:

http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/s...1&postcount=43
Old 11-02-2012, 06:14 AM   #13
A Girl That Does Yoga
Eskimo Friend

Keep your hopes up - I've always thought two of my favourites I'll never ever see are Kate Bush and Damien Rice. Sure, there were chances Lisa would come here, to Serbia some day, but I did not have any thoughts about seeing Damien.
And then, this year, friends and I planned the trip for Prague for completely different reasons when suddenly - Damien announced concert in Prague. We just rearranged the time of the trip and I skipped two exams, but it was worth it! He made great show, played at Charles bridge and we met him, it was one of the best moments in my life!
So there is always the chance! As verenita said, you can save up for it and there might come a chance that seemed completely unlikely at first ^^
A Girl That Does Yoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #14
Tennisandcello5
Eskimo Friend

SPAMLET!!!! THANKYOUSOMUCH!!! he sounds so cool!! i dont mean to sound like a nerd, but its so epic and journalistic that you documented everything so thoroughly!!! It really feels like having a convo with damien....sigh.... thank.you.so.much...... <3 they all sound so nice!! thats why I love damien and what he did with his band, it was always about letting the music connect people, being a shared experience rather than just a "show"... i have promised myself thats what im going to do when i perform, i never want to put up barriers. unless of course some creepy guy dressed all in black shows up on the stairway lolol i laughed at that part
Old 11-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #15
Tennisandcello5
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Girl That Does Yoga View Post
Keep your hopes up - I've always thought two of my favourites I'll never ever see are Kate Bush and Damien Rice. Sure, there were chances Lisa would come here, to Serbia some day, but I did not have any thoughts about seeing Damien.
And then, this year, friends and I planned the trip for Prague for completely different reasons when suddenly - Damien announced concert in Prague. We just rearranged the time of the trip and I skipped two exams, but it was worth it! He made great show, played at Charles bridge and we met him, it was one of the best moments in my life!
So there is always the chance! As verenita said, you can save up for it and there might come a chance that seemed completely unlikely at first ^^
wow, that was quite a lucky streak! i really do hope that that will happen to me too.... i am also planning a trip to ireland next year (after i turn 18 haha) and im hoping there will be a chance to see him there! i know some people who have a flat i might be able to stay in. Wouldn't it be funny though if he wouldnt be there then because of touring or something... i feel like you havent quite lived if you havent seen damien rice live haha
Old 11-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #16
eagle88
Eskimo Friend

I saw Damien perform four times. The first in Santa Barbara in the "Sings Like Hell" series. he was solo and very good. Great venue. I don't actually remember much about the concert at The Orpheum in Downtown LA, other than I had a not-great seat. The Swell Season opened that show and I loved that.

I also saw him at The Troubadour. House was PACKED and the show was great. In the encore, Herbie Hancock same out and played with the full band for one or two numbers, including "Don't Explain" which they had just recorded for Hancock's "Possibilites" album.

But the best, most mind-blowing show...maybe of all the concerts I've seen by anyone...was at the Henry Fonda Theater, when the sound system blew out at the beginning of the show. Damien improvised, performing without electricity for a few numbers. He then went into a kind of dark funk with a few songs for awhile...which was actually really moving to watch. Then he came out of it, rocked the rest of the night, did two encores I think including a cover of "Glory Box". Amazing show.
eagle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #17
Tommy
Chilly Eskimo

I've been to two. The second night at Vicar Street in Dublin was absolutely incredibly mindblowing.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #18
dawno
just mildly free

I've been to nine. I had tickets for three additional gigs in Dec. 06, but was unable to attend the shows due to a death in the family.

My top 5:

Hiro Ballroom, Nov. 06 - the last time I saw him with Lisa
Beacon Theatre, Apr. 16, 04 - amazing gig and we had front row center seats
Tower Theatre, Apr. 15, 04 - my first ever Damien gig, also had front row seats that night
Beacon Theatre, May 3, 04 - great gig and we met the entire band afterwards. They were all so gracious, standing out in the rain with us while my husband held an umbrella over Lisa. He also carried Vyv's cello onto the tour bus for her that night. Such a fun experience.
WaMu theatre @ MSG, Sept. 7, 07 - the last time I saw him
dawno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #19
A Girl That Does Yoga
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisandcello5 View Post
wow, that was quite a lucky streak! i really do hope that that will happen to me too.... i am also planning a trip to ireland next year (after i turn 18 haha) and im hoping there will be a chance to see him there! i know some people who have a flat i might be able to stay in. Wouldn't it be funny though if he wouldnt be there then because of touring or something... i feel like you havent quite lived if you havent seen damien rice live haha
I hope you'll have luck And if nothing, at least you'll see Ireland - that's my next biggest wish, now that I saw and "met" Damien.
By the way, I really like your avatar ^^

And I must say how jealous I am of all you people who saw Damien preform with Lisa :P I guess I'm too young for it as I only got into his music (and music in general) around the time of their split, plus he never came around here as far as I know, so the chances for me too see them both on the stage were non-existent.
A Girl That Does Yoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #20
Tennisandcello5
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle88 View Post
I saw Damien perform four times. The first in Santa Barbara in the "Sings Like Hell" series. he was solo and very good. Great venue. I don't actually remember much about the concert at The Orpheum in Downtown LA, other than I had a not-great seat. The Swell Season opened that show and I loved that.

I also saw him at The Troubadour. House was PACKED and the show was great. In the encore, Herbie Hancock same out and played with the full band for one or two numbers, including "Don't Explain" which they had just recorded for Hancock's "Possibilites" album.

But the best, most mind-blowing show...maybe of all the concerts I've seen by anyone...was at the Henry Fonda Theater, when the sound system blew out at the beginning of the show. Damien improvised, performing without electricity for a few numbers. He then went into a kind of dark funk with a few songs for awhile...which was actually really moving to watch. Then he came out of it, rocked the rest of the night, did two encores I think including a cover of "Glory Box". Amazing show.
Duuuudddeee thats like a recipe for the best damien concert ever!!! he gets on stage and the power fails!!! Maybe someone did it on purpose lolol
But seriously you are so lucky, thats such a unique experience, on top of the fact that all damien concerts are already unique experiences.. O-O
Old 11-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #21
Tennisandcello5
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Girl That Does Yoga View Post
I hope you'll have luck And if nothing, at least you'll see Ireland - that's my next biggest wish, now that I saw and "met" Damien.
By the way, I really like your avatar ^^

And I must say how jealous I am of all you people who saw Damien preform with Lisa :P I guess I'm too young for it as I only got into his music (and music in general) around the time of their split, plus he never came around here as far as I know, so the chances for me too see them both on the stage were non-existent.
Thank you! Sigh..... both my dreams are yet to be achieved, but I will not give up!! haha i think ireland is such a beautiful place, and damien only adds to that beauty.....dont i sound like such a hopeless romantic

thanks, im glad you like it! My dad took it of me when i was in, of all romantic places, paris! I was exhausted and didnt know he was taking a pic of me, so even though i look "thoughful" theres really nothing going on in there haha
Old 11-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #22
cmigliaccio
Eskimo Regular

Tennis, if Damien toured like your average performer, you'd have gotten to see him. Those of us who've seen him many times did so when he was touring really regularly.

I count 7 times I've seen Damo. The 9 tour shows were all terrific, but I'm not sure any really stood above the others.

The show in Firenze this summer, though - that's a wonderful memory. One of the greatest shows I've ever seen by any artist (and I've seen a lot). How on he was during the show... singing backing vocals on stage during Volcano... Cold Water -> Hallelujah in the dark with us all on stage... the after show... we all wrote pretty extensively about that Italian tour this summer but man, that was an experience.
cmigliaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #23
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

I believe I've seen 14 shows?

The first two were just Damien and Tomo at the Tin Angel and The Fire in Philadelphia in May 2003, before O was released to the US.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #24
Tennisandcello5
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmigliaccio View Post
Tennis, if Damien toured like your average performer, you'd have gotten to see him. Those of us who've seen him many times did so when he was touring really regularly.

I count 7 times I've seen Damo. The 9 tour shows were all terrific, but I'm not sure any really stood above the others.

The show in Firenze this summer, though - that's a wonderful memory. One of the greatest shows I've ever seen by any artist (and I've seen a lot). How on he was during the show... singing backing vocals on stage during Volcano... Cold Water -> Hallelujah in the dark with us all on stage... the after show... we all wrote pretty extensively about that Italian tour this summer but man, that was an experience.
That's true.. He needs to tour more!! Well not "needs", I shouldn't mix his needs with mine.... I suppose the fact that I was only about seven when O came out also didn't help my chances of seeing him play live.

I saw some of the footage from that show, it really did seem beautiful. These days I prefer listening to his newer performances rather than his old ones on YouTube. Even though his old ones were magical, there is something about his music now that just rings differently, and I'm loving it