damien lisa
am i breaking u

Old 04-09-2015, 11:20 AM   #32
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
Two words: WOODEN HORSE!!
whaa--aa? I'm surprised he remembers the lyrics, what has it been? 7-8 years without playing it?
Old 04-09-2015, 12:02 PM   #33
Beat Surrender
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawno View Post
Here's one from tonight... too tired to look through them all

Fabulous show! Wooden Horse!!!!

Attachment 677
That's an EXTRA fantastic pic! What kind of camera or phone did you use?
Old 04-09-2015, 12:04 PM   #34
Beat Surrender
Eskimo Friend

Looking at pics of the venue, what was it called again and anyone know how many seats it has? It looks beautiful and it looks quite large!
Old 04-09-2015, 12:26 PM   #35
verenita
... trusty and true ...

wow! interesting how he keeps making changes on the setlist and adding amazing surprises! the venue looks beautiful, it reminded me an old theatre of buenos aires, nowadays turned into a book store, only with two balconies!

thanks for the pics. they are great!
Old 04-09-2015, 12:30 PM   #36
totalsellout
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat Surrender View Post
Looking at pics of the venue, what was it called again and anyone know how many seats it has? It looks beautiful and it looks quite large!
according to Wikipedia, capacity is 2509: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academ...hiladelphia%29
totalsellout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:41 PM   #37
conanemily
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien lisa View Post
saw this yesterday too, haha
conanemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:55 PM   #38
glo32
Eskimo Regular

wait, Wooden Horse was a request? Or he played it out of nowhere?
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #39
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by glo32 View Post
wait, Wooden Horse was a request? Or he played it out of nowhere?
Request, and then said that no one but that person would know it. He also said it's funny how he can remember lyrics to that song but not the new ones. People yelled other stuff, but he said he wasn't taking anymore requests.
InspirationDestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:16 PM   #40
dawno
just mildly free

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalsellout View Post
according to Wikipedia, capacity is 2509: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academ...hiladelphia%29
This was only the second time I've been to this venue, it is absolutely stunning. I saw The National here back in 2011, and curiously, also sat in the second row that night.
dawno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:24 PM   #41
dawno
just mildly free

Here are a few more from last night... I shot these with my Canon G16... his shows are always difficult as I'm shooting without a flash and he uses minimal lighting

IMG_4158.jpg

IMG_4176.jpg

IMG_4178.jpg

IMG_4198.jpg
Old 04-09-2015, 01:55 PM   #42
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Here are a few more from last night... I shot these with my Canon G16... his shows are always difficult as I'm shooting without a flash and he uses minimal lighting

Attachment 680
he looks as if he was the best friend of everyone!
Attachment 681
resemblance to glen in this one
lovely pic, daw! thank you very much for sharing
Old 04-09-2015, 02:34 PM   #43
Circa1992
Eskimo Regular

Dawn, your pictures a terrific! Thank you!
Circa1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:57 PM   #44
RenataAQP
Eskimo Regular

Quote:

Attachment 680

Attachment 681

Attachment 682

Attachment 683
beautiful pics!!!!! thanks for sharing!!!!
Old 04-09-2015, 04:01 PM   #45
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular

amazing pics!! thanks dawno
Old 04-09-2015, 04:53 PM   #46
madhat181
Uber Fan

Quote:

Attachment 680

Attachment 681

Attachment 682

Attachment 683
Great shots dawno

Last edited by madhat181; 04-10-2015 at 12:38 AM.
madhat181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:02 PM   #47
deltufjp
Eskimo Baby

A double exposure from last night's amazing show.

deltufjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:31 PM   #48
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

talked for ages with Damien at like 2am still in shock, I did a great detective job and asked a million question, a sorta gestapo interview

he first came to talked to fans a little after the show and then went back inside again, but we didnīt know that cos we were at the bar so we missed it... but luckily we caught him when he was leaving at like 2 am, but was even better cos it was just me and Stef so we could asked a million things without being interrupted... in short...

- he has been recording in January
- we asked for Camarillas and he said wow I had totally forgotten bout this song, so people, request it at concerts! I think heīs gonna play it soon, maybe in Canada, cos we told him like 10 times about it
- he was himself amazed that he remembered the lyrics to Wooden Horse, I told him he handīt played it in 10 years at least
- What If Iīm Wrong, he said he isnīt happy with the studio version and should be re-done and maybe released somehow, told him itīs a pity itīs never been released
- asked about Insane and said heīs never recorded it in studio and talked putting out a live album with all those rarities
- Back to her Man has been recorded, he said itīs "about Cohen" but he didnīt put it on MFFF cos people would say itīs a ripoff but in fact itīs a homage
- Then I asked about I Donīt Know How to Comfort You and he said ehhh ohhhh you mean Stoic?? hahaha almost laughed at how bad we are at titles but he said itīs an abandoned song cos itīs one of those songs with which he does not connect with the lyrics anymore but itīs called Stoic
- we also talked about Sufjan. He hasnīt heard the new album but likes his music, think he even said heīs seen him live. I told him the new album is very folk
he was also very nice and asked us where we were from, how many gigs weīve done, which ones, if we liked the shows so far, if we liked the NY show (he didnīt)... I was kinda surprised he found it kinda normal that we flew and weīre doing 5 shows in a row

Last edited by borneoman; 04-09-2015 at 05:39 PM.
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:38 PM   #49
blindmelonade
Eskimo Friend

Wow! That's cool you and stef got that moment with him! But it's probably good that I left when I did because I was pretty much asleep on the road.
blindmelonade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:42 PM   #50
glo32
Eskimo Regular

ahah great detective work, Marti!
I'm sad that we won't listen to Stoic in the future but I kind of suspected that he gave it up. As well, next time you should ask about What Have You Done To Her Face! Another abandoned song from Grado?

and did he say why he didn't like the NYC show?
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:51 PM   #51
mikerennie
Eskimo Regular

Amazing! I could ask him questions all night long.

I bet he didn't like the NYC gig cause he dropped his guitar during the Long Long Way transition.

I bet he is super hard on himself about little picky things like that haha.
mikerennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:51 PM   #52
Circa1992
Eskimo Regular

Very interesting Marti- what an amazing experience for you and Stefan! I am intrigued about his NY comments since I felt like something was off. Especially since it sounds like the 3 shows before, and the 2 since, he was in a much better mood.

My son is away this weekend, and there are cheap flights to Toronto...I'm very tempted!

Last edited by Circa1992; 04-09-2015 at 05:54 PM.
Circa1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:18 PM   #53
carrroline
person

Amazing, Marti!
Very sad that he abandoned 'Stoic' though. (Although it isn't very surprising)
It's those kind of dark/sad/confessional songs that drew me to Damien at first.
carrroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:30 PM   #54
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
talked for ages with Damien at like 2am still in shock, I did a great detective job and asked a million question, a sorta gestapo interview
Did you tell him about the weirdo across the street hiding in the bushes who freaked out at the thought of having a normal conversation and missed this amazing opportunity?!!

I hope you get camarillas in Toronto. I might want to fly out now!!

So interesting about the homage to Cohen thing bc I thought that about the Chelsea Hotel and I Remember when he and Glen sang it in NY. I hear so many others with traces of Cohen. In Lisa's music too.

The philly venue was magnificent and the crowd was so appreciative (reverential, even), but I thought he was more "on" in NY. This one seemed more mechanical, less soulful, even though he sounded great!!

Marti, did you see My Bubba (I'm saying it your way) get on their bus too? Why didn't you ask for a ride to Montreal? :P
InspirationDestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:51 PM   #55
conanemily
Eskimo Regular

wow thank you so much for the report!!
so is he coming back later this year? i regret so much now i gave up my Philly ticket because of work...
conanemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #56
dawno
just mildly free

Excellent detective work, Marti! Sorry I didn't see you last night. We hit terrible traffic on the drive down and quickly grabbed a drink and some food at The Perch Pub across the street. Got into our seats at about 8:45 ish. I think I may have spotted blindmelonade leaning against the stage (were you wearing a knit cap, Dave?) but wasn't 100% sure.

We went back to the pub after the show for another drink before getting our car... left the area by 11:30 or so.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:02 PM   #57
IndigoRose
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltufjp View Post
A double exposure from last night's amazing show.

Fantastic capture(s)! Very, very nice, del
IndigoRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:33 PM   #58
DesoleInBoston
Eskimo Regular

Talking

Quote:

he first came to talked to fans a little after the show and then went back inside again, but we didnīt know that cos we were at the bar so we missed it... but luckily we caught him when he was leaving at like 2 am, but was even better cos it was just me and Stef so we could asked a million things without being interrupted... in short...

- he has been recording in January
- we asked for Camarillas and he said wow I had totally forgotten bout this song, so people, request it at concerts! I think heīs gonna play it soon, maybe in Canada, cos we told him like 10 times about it
- he was himself amazed that he remembered the lyrics to Wooden Horse, I told him he handīt played it in 10 years at least
- What If Iīm Wrong, he said he isnīt happy with the studio version and should be re-done and maybe released somehow, told him itīs a pity itīs never been released
- asked about Insane and said heīs never recorded it in studio and talked putting out a live album with all those rarities
- Back to her Man has been recorded, he said itīs "about Cohen" but he didnīt put it on MFFF cos people would say itīs a ripoff but in fact itīs a homage
- Then I asked about I Donīt Know How to Comfort You and he said ehhh ohhhh you mean Stoic?? hahaha almost laughed at how bad we are at titles but he said itīs an abandoned song cos itīs one of those songs with which he does not connect with the lyrics anymore but itīs called Stoic
- we also talked about Sufjan. He hasnīt heard the new album but likes his music, think he even said heīs seen him live. I told him the new album is very folk
he was also very nice and asked us where we were from, how many gigs weīve done, which ones, if we liked the shows so far, if we liked the NY show (he didnīt)... I was kinda surprised he found it kinda normal that we flew and weīre doing 5 shows in a row
This is AMAZING!!!! Great job Marti and Stefan!

And that double exposure is gorgeous! I'm beaming at both of these things!
DesoleInBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:42 PM   #59
verenita
... trusty and true ...

marti posted whatīs below in the wrong thread i copy-past it where it belongs.

Quote:
got lots of videos to upload from the last 2 days but no time/connection to do so... I did record Wooden Horse, not my fav song ever, but sure unexpected

he said he didn't enjoy NY but even himself he didn't know why,he said the manager liked it and I said i liked it too when he asked

I'm sure Camarillas is coming now he was reminded of it, you should all come to the Canadian shows haha
Old 04-09-2015, 10:26 PM   #60
blindmelonade
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Excellent detective work, Marti! Sorry I didn't see you last night. We hit terrible traffic on the drive down and quickly grabbed a drink and some food at The Perch Pub across the street. Got into our seats at about 8:45 ish. I think I may have spotted blindmelonade leaning against the stage (were you wearing a knit cap, Dave?) but wasn't 100% sure.

We went back to the pub after the show for another drink before getting our car... left the area by 11:30 or so.
I thought I saw you as well but I'm pretty sure someone said you weren't going? But yes, that's my knit cap!

Anyways, I upped a video of My Bubba covering Dylan (her mother's sister in law's brother's son's first ex-wife's ex-lover)

https://youtu.be/1tc8eehKejY
blindmelonade is offline   Reply With Quote