Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 09-26-2014, 02:51 PM   #1
lod
Eskimo Regular

Question so...who has met Damien??

I've been reading over some old posts and reviews of gigs and I'm struck by all these stories of meeting him after gigs... Curious how some have managed that?? So..wanted to talk about who has met him,and what did u say?? And what did he say?? I met him after a new years frames gig when he had guested and played a few tunes.. Managed to say happy new year and ask about the new album he was planning at the time,the roadtrip one that never happened in the end... That's my story.. I'm sure some of you have much better stories and would love to hear them..
lod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
CoffeeJunkie
Eskimo Baby

I only talked to him at a Christmas busk, I just sort of followed him like a lot of people did. Before I realised, everyone got away and I was standing there alone with him. But I'm introvert, can't do small talk easily, blacked out while talking to him and it was really really awkward.. It was in 2011, he seemed to be a bit awkward too, what made the whole conversation worse lol..

So... that's my short story
Old 09-26-2014, 10:26 PM   #3
madhat181
Uber Fan

I met him twice at the two 2006 Beacon Theater shows in NYC. First show waited back stage he came out and I told him I was disappointed he didn't play my favorite song Delicate. I said I would get a ticket for tomorrow's show if he would play it. He said he definitely would. So a frantic search on eBay and I was able to score 1 front row ticket for a bargain(desperate scalper).

He kept his word and played Delicate. So I waited backstage to thank him. He came out I told him thanks and asked him for an autograph. He said I don't give autographs I give hugs. He proceeded and gave me a quick hug. And then went to greet other fans waiting. There wasn't many of us. He took off in a cab.

Oh Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova were there too. The opened for him and this was way before the movie. They were cool too, I think they just walked to their hotel.
madhat181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:15 AM   #4
lod
Eskimo Regular

Loving the stories..anyone else????? .mad isn't it all the things you think you will say and you end up stumbling over a silly conversation.. Saying I love ur music.. Or great gig.. And feeling awkward..
Old 09-27-2014, 01:45 AM   #5
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular

he played in Buenos Aires in 2009. A bunch of us -including verenita and other members of this forum who travelled over here- waited for him and got to meet him after the show. He was great, the nicest guy. He hugged and said hello to each one of us. I was a total idiot and could barely talk. You might find a really long post in one of the old threads in the gigs section.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:04 AM   #6
verenita
... trusty and true ...

as eva mentioned, we met him. it was one of my best nights ever. i remember we spotted (richard did actually) the van used to take him back to the hotel and we were waiting just right beside there... he had no scape oh my! what a night!

i aslo had the chance to talk to him at the end of the after show in grado. he was at his best there too! and i saw him busking on grafton street and ramdomly in the flea market in dublin, but didn´t talk to him. of course.

Last edited by verenita; 09-27-2014 at 02:12 AM.
verenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:33 AM   #7
madhat181
Uber Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lod View Post
Loving the stories..anyone else????? .mad isn't it all the things you think you will say and you end up stumbling over a silly conversation.. Saying I love ur music.. Or great gig.. And feeling awkward..
I tend just say whatever comes into my head. Sometimes it gets me in trouble. LOL. But the best thing to do is just be confident and treat him like a normal person.
madhat181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:56 PM   #8
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

I did in Switzerland a few weeks after the lisa incident. He wasn't the warmest person I've met but it was still nice that he came over and talked to me. Considering everything that went down I give him a pass. Hope to meet him again next month.
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:26 PM   #9
damien lisa
am i breaking u

anyone have Damo or Lisa, Vyv's sign? pic pls
Old 09-28-2014, 06:25 AM   #10
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

I have one. I'll take a pic when I get back in town.
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #11
demonhuntress
Eskimo Stalker

I had a chance to talk to him at the Charles Bridge after his Prague gig back in 2012. There isn't much of a great story behind it but the night was magical. He played for a few hours in the club and then he played for a few more on the bridge. I was siting right next to him. He kept hitting me with his guitar the whole time. I heard he even took a few people to a pub with him after he got rid of the rest.

And I met Lisa twice (July 2011 in Glebe Gardens, West Cork and November 2013 in Ostrava) and have pics with her (Damien doesn't do that, nor he signs stuff, he says he 'loathes it'). My Passenger CD was faulty so I told her and she took it and gave me a new one and signed it for me. What a lovely person she is.

Those were the greatest nights of my life. And I swear I tried hard but still was star-struck as hell.

Last edited by demonhuntress; 09-28-2014 at 07:00 PM.
demonhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:28 PM   #12
signalfire
Eskimo Regular

I haven't had a chance to meet Damien. It would be nice next month, but I won't bank on it.

Lisa I've met and had photos with a couple of times. The first was at a Barnes and Noble in 2009, and the second time was after her gig in 2011 in Brooklyn. She'd appointed my friend and me to watch and make sure her dress didn't come unbuttoned since her instrument switches were popping buttons. If you want to see her autograph, here's my setlist. Not embedding it since it's huge. http://oi62.tinypic.com/dg3yhj.jpg (Ignore Gavin calling me "Marjorie"; she was someone next to me.)
signalfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:32 PM   #13
happy2bhere
Eskimo Regular

Not had the pleasure of meeting Damien. Just know I'd be a wreck, say something really stupid and make the experience awkward. Like the idea of a doodle and hug though Met Lisa after a tiny gig she did in church a few years ago (amazing btw). My god the woman's even more gorgeous in the flesh. Instant girl crush! She was really lovely and chatty. Told her that my then ten year old was obsessed with her music, but that she was able to come with us. She wrote her a nice message, which was very sweet.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:44 PM   #14
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Chatted to a few times over the years, but my favourite one was standing behind him in a shop (Centre on Camden St.), whilst he bought a lighter, then he specifically asked the person behind the counter for a yellow one. So i made a comment about yellow lighters and the myth of them being unlucky. He laughed and said thats exactly the reason he wanted it. I presumed he was going to see a gig i was going to so asked him (Shane was playing in Whelans with a Tom waits tribute band). Ended up standing inbetween him and Lisa (unknowingly), as he came in hooded up and stood beside me, me beside Lisa. So i stood back and waved them together and they both smiled.

Didn't bother to talk to them after that, but it was a really nice moment in the sense that they had no idea i was a big fan of their music. I didn't need to tell them, just enjoyed the moments of not being a "fan".

Not sure that could ever happen again though haha.

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:31 AM   #15
Joyful
Eskimama

^ great story. Thanks for sharing it.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:17 PM   #16
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular

that was very nice, Gatsby
Old 09-29-2014, 05:52 PM   #17
lod
Eskimo Regular

Loved that story Gatsby...
Old 09-29-2014, 06:09 PM   #18
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
I didn't need to tell them, just enjoyed the moments of not being a "fan".
nice! what a great memory!
*haha* to damien´s comment on the lighter
Old 09-29-2014, 07:34 PM   #19
Pouline
Eskimo Baby

Your stories are great! It's so cool to read all of these memories

I haven't had the chance to meet Damien unfortunately, but I met Lisa twice in Paris. In 2012, when she was promoting Passenger, she made a few showcases here and there. I went to see her in the Shakespeare & Co bookshop (wonderful place btw!) but I arrived very late and was the last person to be allowed in the bookshop. I had to stand on my tiptoes and I only saw her hair, but it was awesome anyway. After the show, I went and made her sign my copy of her album, I told her my name and we chatted a little.

4 or 5 days later, she had another showcase in a little shop and I made sure to go extra early, but I was so early that she wasn't even there yet! When she arrived, we were at most 5 or 6 people. I didn't want to jump on her so I continued to tour the shop, and after having put down her guitar she did the same and ended checking t-shirts right next to me. I mustered up all my courage and turn to her saying "Hi Lisa!" and she answered right away "Hey Pauline, how are you?" with a big smile on her face. I know we talked a bit about music and stuff but I couldn't believe she actually remembered my name and I was so star-strucked that I don't remember much after that...
Pouline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #20
Stephen Grigsby
Eskimo Baby

Default When I performed With DR

With the soon to be released album. My Favourite Faded Fantasy. I thought I'd post a pic from when i was fortunate enough to perform with DR and his band in Reading during the 9 tour. Happy days

This is how i met Damien ( but a fan since 2003), since then he has inspired me to grow in writing and performing. This year i was lucky to support Eleanor McEvoy with my band Chasing Ghosts. She had some tales to tell regarding a flight that Damien and herself took whilst they were playing some festivals in Europe.

Currently working on our own Ep album and will post to the site. Would really appreciate feedback from like minded Damien Fans

Was anyone of you guys present at the Hexagon Reading 2007 who happened to record our duet ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20995.jpg (5.6 KB, 229 views)
Stephen Grigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #21
verenita
... trusty and true ...

wow! lucky you i love eleanor by the way. thanks for sharing... and very welcome to the igloo
Old 10-09-2014, 11:50 AM   #22
Stephen Grigsby
Eskimo Baby

She is a pretty amazing lady, very down to earth and a fantastic song writer and very open to giving advice and guidance. Im hoping to be able to catch up with her soon as to possibly supporting again
Stephen Grigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:51 PM   #23
seanbryantkbq
Eskimo Baby

I met Damien Rice behind the Tabernacle in Atlanta when he was doing the 9 tour. Him and Lisa had just split, so it was only like one or two gigs after I think. He came out by the tour bus and talked with the four of five of us that were there for a bit, then some girls asked him if he wanted to see an interpretive dance they made for him, so he obliged, and pulled out his guitar and played Volcano completely acoustic while they danced around him, and me... only me... watching. It was strangely magical. One of my favorite memories.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:55 PM   #24
Canadianfan
Eskimo Baby

What a great story - you are so fortunate sean
Canadianfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:22 PM   #25
Lys
Eskimo Regular

I shared a beer with him (literally haha) in a pub in Oslo, along with two other Eskimofriends It was a great moment, he was very relaxed and nice, we talked for quite some time about music, his outfit (the famous threaded blouse and other regular stuff. It was so natural, that I forgot about a photo...and I am not sure if I regret it actually One thing I remember clearly, is how weird (or maybe even annoyed) he still felt about people in the business and in general, telling him 'he is great'. ..
Lys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:19 PM   #26
tessalasset
Eskimo Regular

I got to meet him at the El Rey in Los Angeles back in 2006. I was standing on the side of the stage waiting for the show to start. He comes down from the dressing room and stands next to me waiting for the lights to go on and the stage curtains to open up. I introduced myself and told him how grateful I was he came to play. He was very sweet, asked me my name. I told him I was a big fan and look! I even had a pin on my jacket that was made for 9. He leans in and looks at it and goes "What? I don't even have one of those!" I asked him if he wanted it and he said yes. I took it off and handed it to him and he put it in his corduroy jacket and then the curtains opened and the lights hit the stage and he walked out to a thunderous audience.
tessalasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #27
damien lisa
am i breaking u

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien lisa View Post
anyone have Damo or Lisa, Vyv's sign? pic pls
okay, i found one

Last edited by damien lisa; 03-15-2016 at 10:07 PM.
damien lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:28 AM   #28
Mahesh
Eskimo Friend

More stories! Please...

Makes me so happy to see and listen to you all meeting him in person.
Mahesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:14 PM   #29
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

first time I met Damien was walking down the streets in San Francisco, completely random, her passed me by, and I thought, mmm this guy looks Irish, and I thought it might be Ronan Keating and then I realised it was him, but it was in '06 when he just had shaved and he didn´t look like himself then I called him and we chatted a bit, think it was the first time I requested Insane

I´ve also met Lisa many times. I got some really great pics that I can try and find. Actually, Lisa, Damien, also Glen, they´re very easy to approach and talk to
Old 12-23-2014, 07:16 AM   #30
Mahesh
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
first time I met Damien was walking down the streets in San Francisco, completely random, her passed me by, and I thought, mmm this guy looks Irish, and I thought it might be Ronan Keating and then I realised it was him, but it was in '06 when he just had shaved and he didn´t look like himself then I called him and we chatted a bit, think it was the first time I requested Insane

I´ve also met Lisa many times. I got some really great pics that I can try and find. Actually, Lisa, Damien, also Glen, they´re very easy to approach and talk to

Ah well, screw ya guys! I'm so damn jealous.

Thanks again for the stories!
Mahesh is offline   Reply With Quote