Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 10-21-2014, 12:40 PM   #121
RenataAQP
Eskimo Regular

thanks for the videos!!! i was only able to see lots of heads and shoulders for half of the show
Old 10-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #122
dawno
just mildly free

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerennie View Post
I originally wanted to break up my recording song by song but work was crazy today and I didn't have time. Don't want make the Eskimos wait

Enjoy!!!
Thank you Mike!
dawno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:33 PM   #123
verenita
... trusty and true ...

thanks very much, Mike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerennie View Post
I originally wanted to break up my recording song by song but work was crazy today and I didn't have time. Don't want make the Eskimos wait
  1. Colour Me In
  2. Trusty and True

Enjoy!!!
this break up suits me perfectly as i rather not listen to these songs

it´s only to listen online, isn´t it? sorry if it´s an obvious question, he.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #124
dawno
just mildly free

Quote:
Originally Posted by verenita View Post
thanks very much, Mike!

this break up suits me perfectly as i rather not listen to these songs

it´s only to listen online, isn´t it? sorry if it´s an obvious question, he.
Vere, if you right click on the files, and choose save as (or save video as etc) you can download them.

Edited to add: I've downloaded them and split the files into tracks. You can grab the zip file here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ebjvcv4f3u...%2018.zip?dl=0

Vere - this download DOES include the new songs, so avoid tracks 15 & 16.

Last edited by dawno; 10-21-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #125
carrroline
person

Thanks everyone for the amazing pictures, videos, stories and recordings!

(you can download the recordings if you right click on the file, Vere - edit: oops too slow )

Last edited by carrroline; 10-21-2014 at 01:50 PM.
carrroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #126
verenita
... trusty and true ...

oh my! 2014 and i´m still so ignorante about this stuff, lol (literally).

thanks a mill, dawn and car
Old 10-21-2014, 02:11 PM   #127
mikerennie
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawno View Post
Vere, if you right click on the files, and choose save as (or save video as etc) you can download them.

Edited to add: I've downloaded them and split the files into tracks. You can grab the zip file here:

Dawno, thanks for breaking them up!!!
mikerennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:01 PM   #128
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawno View Post

thank you very much! i'll skip them, it's only two weeks until the record release
Old 10-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #129
carrroline
person

Quote:
Originally Posted by verenita View Post
thank you very much! i'll skip them, it's only two weeks until the record release
You have more willpower than I…
I tried not to listen (for about 10 minutes), but utterly failed
Old 10-21-2014, 03:10 PM   #130
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrroline View Post
You have more willpower than I…

i'll take the credit as i actually do. i'm very pacient (not anxious whatsoever + i love surprises, so i couldn't think of any easier thing to do
Old 10-21-2014, 03:16 PM   #131
carrroline
person

^ Good on you!
Old 10-21-2014, 07:53 PM   #132
dawno
just mildly free

Finally had a chance to listen to the recording and realise that I did not split track 9 properly. Here is a link to the corrected edit of The Professor, which you can simply drop in to the folder:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fs27gwu1i2...essor.mp3?dl=0

Or, if you'd prefer, I've reupped a new zip file of the entire gig with the corrected file here:

Sorry for any inconvenience!
Old 10-21-2014, 08:09 PM   #133
Sweetpea1301
Eskimo Baby

Default Thanks, Borneoman

My ultimate favorite secret request was Eskimo, but never thought he would play it because of the operatic Finnish lines, so when he did, I was crying too hard to record for myself. I'm so glad you got this for us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
I think he kinda forgot some lyrics but great version of MFFF

and this is Trusty & True with talk intro to the song

Bastard

and Eskimo
Sweetpea1301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:28 PM   #134
cuuliem
Eskimo Regular

Thanks to everyone. It was a pleasure to meet so much Eskimo friends after the show. Hope to see you soon
cuuliem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #135
madhat181
Uber Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuuliem View Post
Thanks to everyone. It was a pleasure to meet so much Eskimo friends after the show. Hope to see you soon
Yes there was so much Eskimo love from around the world, France, Spain, Italy and many parts of the US were represented in Freeman Alley behind The Box Saturday night. It was fitting that he played Eskimo that night. Hopefully we can all meet again.
madhat181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:10 PM   #136
DesoleInBoston
Eskimo Regular

Yes, it was so great to meet a handful of you. I am still laughing about some of the jokes from the alley, especially Cuuliem demonstrating a French accent .

I should have stayed with you all longer, but I knew my train back to Brooklyn stopped running at 11:45pm because of some construction (I learned that the hard way the night before!!!).
DesoleInBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:20 PM   #137
mattministrator
Eskimo Regular

Wish I could have been there, but it's a Long, long way from Germany. :-) Thanks for the excellent recording, Mike, and for cutting it up into songs, Dawno! Soundtrack of my current life.
mattministrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:38 PM   #138
melodie
mmm bop.

been listening to the recording all day (thanks again!) and i love how face came about - and that someone in the audience requested front door!
melodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:08 AM   #139
amyyhc
Eskimo Friend

Wow this live version of Eskimo was absolutely incredible. Cant even begin to imagine how amazing it would be to hear it in person! Hope he plays it at the Apollo next month.
amyyhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:58 PM   #140
mikerennie
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyyhc View Post
Wow this live version of Eskimo was absolutely incredible. Cant even begin to imagine how amazing it would be to hear it in person! Hope he plays it at the Apollo next month.
I think Eskimo was my favorite song of the show. Its a close call between Eskimo and The Professor but I was lucky enough to see Damien and Lisa sing the Professor together in 2006, cant top that version.

mikerennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #141
damien lisa
am i breaking u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea1301 View Post
My ultimate favorite secret request was Eskimo, but never thought he would play it because of the operatic Finnish lines, so when he did, I was crying too hard to record for myself. I'm so glad you got this for us!
he did the opera part several times
Old 10-30-2014, 01:36 PM   #142
signalfire
Eskimo Regular

I wrote up a review for the music site I contribute to, and it's finally been posted. (Stupid CMJ last week.) Text is below, but if you want to give me a click, it'd be nice. My editor got lazy and didn't use any of my photos though. Boo. http://www.shortandsweetnyc.com/2014...he-box-101814/

The Box is a venue best known for its club nights and racy burlesque, but a couple hundred audience members gathered on October 18 for a different spectacle: the final show in Damien Rice’s North American tour. Rice has been long absent from these shores, but with his awaited third LP My Favourite Faded Fantasy hitting the shelves next month, the Irish troubadour embarked on a short run of intimate solo shows. Trouble with an ear infection had caused him to reschedule a couple of shows earlier in the week, but as soon as Rice began his show, it was clear nothing was subduing the intensity of his voice.

The safe choice would have been to stay with familiar album tracks like opener “Delicate,” but Rice opted to move through the show with no setlist whatsoever. After performing “Eskimo,” complete with a segment sung in Finnish, Rice stated that he was thinking about faster songs. The call went up for “Coconut Skins,” followed by an optimistic fan requesting “Face,” a song Rice hadn’t performed in ten years by his own estimate. After a few seconds of tinkering with his guitar, Rice stormed through the rambunctious track and murmured his way through the lyrics that he no longer remembered. The cheers that greeted this performance were some of the loudest of the night, and Rice seemed to grow even more confident as he played off this energy.

For most of the show, Rice filled the room with his emotive delivery, shifting from plaintive and resigned to aggressive desperation in the span of a moment. When he reached “I Don’t Want to Change You,” the lead single of his new record, he was joined on percussion by Shahzad Ismaily, who was booked to perform his own show in the city later. Ismaily’s accompaniment seemed largely improvised but meshed well with Rice’s busker sensibility. When Ismaily had to leave during “My Favourite Faded Fantasy,” he slipped through a door at the back of the stage. A lesser artist would have been thrown off by the stark reminder of Freeman Alley being mere steps away, but Rice remained in the song and kept the spell unbroken.

Many encores can feel like a lazy obligation, but on this night, it seemed to be a gift to the audience. New track “Colour Me In” dazzled in its simplicity, and then Rice upped the stakes with another new song, “Trusty and True.” This time, he explained that he felt for audience members since he was not the tallest man, and he asked for a chair to stand on to perform. From this vantage point, he was able to teach the audience some lyrics and become a choir leader of sorts, breaking down the barrier between witnessing the show and participating in it. This moment would have been an idyllic end to a beautiful evening, but the applause continued after Rice made his exit. With a bashful stance, he returned to the darkened stage and stood on his chair once again. His guitar was unplugged, microphone pointed to the ground. Shunning all amplification and spectacle, he performed “The Blower’s Daughter.” Though the song is probably his most well known, there was no sense of going through the motions. It was a powerful moment for open hearts and open ears. When the curtain drew closed at last, Rice had given us nearly two hours of entertainment, most of the tracks from his new record, and a sense of awe that followed us out into the cool October night.
signalfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:41 PM   #143
DesoleInBoston
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalfire View Post
I wrote up a review for the music site I contribute to, and it's finally been posted. (Stupid CMJ last week.) Text is below, but if you want to give me a click, it'd be nice. My editor got lazy and didn't use any of my photos though. Boo. http://www.shortandsweetnyc.com/2014...he-box-101814/
Gorgeous review, Casey! Great job and thank you for sharing!
DesoleInBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:15 PM   #144
madhat181
Uber Fan

Brilliant article Casey. Thanks for sharing.
madhat181 is offline   Reply With Quote