Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 06-01-2004, 08:38 AM   #31
The Kitten
Eskimo Regular

Bumpman, what about those fools to your left, the girl who actually talked on her mobile during it . . and they couldn't sing for sh*te either. My mate said something to her and then she tried to follow us out at the end!!

The bars were closed during the performance weren't they . . probably at DR's request, and fair play to them for doing it, at least people weren't up and down like yo-yo's half the night and weren't getting p*ssed and shouting stupid stuff.

Very respectful crowd all in all, lots of true fans, and after the December Vicar Street gig probably the best onei've been too. Woman Like a Man and Prague were amazing . . in fact WLAM almost left me speechless, my mates and I all just looked at each other at the end and nodded our heads in mutual respect for the great performance.

I was really hoping he'd do Wooden Horse, Insane and Sand - Sand and Insane are my two favourite songs and I've never been to a gig where he has done them. Fantastic night though
Old 06-01-2004, 08:39 AM   #32
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

so what is this lonely soldier song i have never heard of it?!?!?!? I know he did lonely of the WLAM EP ?!
Glad you all enjoyed the gig sounded as always good f**ken Damo styley!

I always love any bootleg with Damo doing the spaceship sound, thats so awesome! I will never forget him doing it at the gig i went to and not being able to hear myself speak or hear anyone talk to me, really cool and weired!
mestonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 09:01 AM   #33
cille
creepycute

wow, sounds like a lovely, fantastic, amazing gig; wish i could've been there with yer! but as melissa said, your describtions were the next best thing to being there; i really enjoyed your comments, especially yours, daol, thanks![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2004, 09:16 AM   #34
DaveG
Eskimo Regular

great review darragh....hope everyone enjoyed it....oh and jeff buckley sang "be your husband, if you'll be my wife....", the song was written by a guy called Andy Stroud with the title "Be My Husband", I'm sure many decided to change it to suit themselves for example Jeff.....although Damo probably forgot to do it last night [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 09:29 AM   #35
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kitten
Bumpman, what about those fools to your left, the girl who actually talked on her mobile during it . . and they couldn't sing for sh*te either. My mate said something to her and then she tried to follow us out at the end!!

The girl on the phone, my God. She had some cheek! The whole corner turned. She was letting her friend hear the song, which was ok, but talking to her about it!

Did the Toffee Pop girls follow you out or the phone one? You must have been sitting near me, as i was at the table infront of them. Sitting at table 13! I knew that'd be unlucky....The only place in the whole venue were there was people making noise, and singing terribly!

Who the hell goes to a gig like that, and sings, out of tune, time and key with the performer. I didnt pay to hear them, and they wouldnt shut up.

The only slight downside to an otherwise fantastic gig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kitten
Woman Like a Man and Prague were amazing . . in fact WLAM almost left me speechless, my mates and I all just looked at each other at the end and nodded our heads in mutual respect for the great performance.

I totally agree![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]Edited by: daol20
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
just to prove to me that you can
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
daol20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 09:38 AM   #36
Banjaxed
Eskimo Regular

The other song during The Professor was "Child, Man, Silly Dog".

Gig was fantastic. Crowd was really respectful and I was glad Damien got the two standing ovations that he deserved.

"The Long Knives" (Sinead Martin's band) opened. They were pretty good, altho i got the feeling Sinead was holding back a bit. i think Sinead is the mother of Paddy Casey's little girl. She also sang at the Olympia gig on Damien's birthday.

I could always remember Terry Sutton, Declan O'Rourke and some girl singing at that gig, but i couldn't remember her name. Unfortunately she's not on the recording of the gig, then last night as soon as I saw her I knew it was her (eh, I hope).
Old 06-01-2004, 09:47 AM   #37
cheeurs
Eskimo Baby

What a gig! Well impressed!

Had no tickets and got 2 off the manager in the ticket office outside. Couldn't believe my luck! So happy... was a great gig! Pity I'll be away for the next one!

Got 1 video on my camera last night and it was of the bit in Older Chests when Damo forgot the words (twice). I compressed it and uploaded it if you want to have a look. Sorry for the text across the video but hadn't got any full video editing software.

Enjoy... http://www.cheeurs.com/damienrice.avi [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]

You may want to right click and click save target as!

DaveEdited by: cheeurs
cheeurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 09:54 AM   #38
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

Great!! Cheers for that cheeurs![img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
Old 06-01-2004, 09:56 AM   #39
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjaxed
The other song during The Professor was "Child, Man, Silly Dog".

Gig was fantastic. Crowd was really respectful and I was glad Damien got the two standing ovations that he deserved.

Ahh yes...That was it!! It was too late last night to be thinking of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjaxed
"The Long Knives" (Sinead Martin's band) opened. They were pretty good, altho i got the feeling Sinead was holding back a bit. i think Sinead is the mother of Paddy Casey's little girl. She also sang at the Olympia gig on Damien's birthday.

I could always remember Terry Sutton, Declan O'Rourke and some girl singing at that gig, but i couldn't remember her name. Unfortunately she's not on the recording of the gig, then last night as soon as I saw her I knew it was her (eh, I hope).

Your absolutely right. Sinead Martin. She also sings backing vocals for Paddy.Edited by: daol20
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
Old 06-01-2004, 10:16 AM   #40
The Kitten
Eskimo Regular

Was sitting at 22 - Toffee Pop girls didn't follow us out, girl on phone did. Her muppet mate beside her couldn't even clap in sync with the rest of the audience during the songs where they clapped. Two standing ovations were very much deserved aswell
Old 06-01-2004, 12:38 PM   #41
MaryL
Eskimo Baby

you guys are so lucky to be there, thanks for the reviews[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]. can't wait to hear Damien singing "be my husband"[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img].
MaryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 12:43 PM   #42
aerial
Eskimo Baby

I was stuck beside them. And although that was funny during Toffee Pop, they and their boyfriends sang BADLY through the whole show. Everyone infront of them seemed to be pissed off. The two girls were bearable, and at times funny. But their bf's couldnt sing to save their lives. And one o them wouldnt shut up shouting "Loneliy!", repeatidly.

They didnt ruin it thought, as i was near enough to the speakers not to hear them too much.

[/quote]

i was near those girls too..and although it was funny for toffeepop they wreaked everyones head for the rest of it..

lisa wannabes..well i know theres lots of them including me..but i wouldnt selfishly ruin the rest of the gig for the everyone else with my cringeful bigheaded antics...

its ok when its loud but they did it when it was real quiet and people just wanted to listen to damo..

they were prbably hoping damo would grab up onstage to be his new lisas
aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 12:45 PM   #43
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight

[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]And how did you enjoy your very first Damien show Miss Pink? (so happy for you-- finally got to see him live! Yay!!

AAAAAAWWWWWWWWW!!!! I cant believe u thought of me!![img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]It was fantastic!!!! I loved every moment i was left speachless......and so wat if i had 2 exams (business and japanese) the next day!!!! Oh i had such a great time!! Im still smiling...all through my exams i kept remembering all the little bits......

Me and my best friend were pooping it slighlty bout bettin id'd at the door (we had trapsed half way accross the city to get there...i live near howth) and we thought we better f**kin get in!!!!

Oh it was so fantastic..........
Old 06-01-2004, 12:51 PM   #44
WeeAngel
Eskimo Angel

The girl on the phone, my God. She had some cheek! The whole corner turned. She was letting her friend hear the song, which was ok, but talking to her about it!

i ended up gettin to the gig! i was up on the balcony i hope that it wsant me who pissed people off some fella gave out to me for talking quietly on the fone i'm sorry if it was i was just trying to let my friend hear his fave song (older chests) so i'm sorry if it was me[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

excellent gig! i was the one who shouted out toffee pop (my fave song at the moment) and i was sooooo happy he played it!!!

i wonder did i meet any eskimos i was afraid to go up and sy "so are you an eskimofriend"

Guy on Airplane: Oh great, I always end up sitting next to a damn baby.
Stewie: What did you just say?
Lois: Stewie, stop fussing.
Stewie: Pipe down Lois. (Slaps guy on head.) Hey big man, turn around. Oh you can't hear me now. I was going to watch the movie, but forget it. For the next 5 hours, you're my bitch.
WeeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 01:36 PM   #45
marloes
Eskimo Regular

It sounds like it's been a great gig. Lucky people all of you! and Miss Pink how cool that you finally had a chance to see him play live [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img] and WeeAngel, great that you managed to go after all, I felt so sorry for you after reading your earlier posts, but it all turned out fine.
I just listened to the audio of Damo forgetting the words to Older Chests, the same thing happened in Amsterdam in february. Lisa and Vyvienne had to tell him the words to his song! funny that it happened again, only this time the girls couldn't help him out [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
marloes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 01:39 PM   #46
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

my first damo gig.....well worth failing exams.....ah hu need education anyway!!!
Old 06-01-2004, 01:42 PM   #47
marloes
Eskimo Regular

you're already smart, right [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2004, 01:45 PM   #48
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

hell yeah...sure i was smart enuf to go to the gig in the 1st place....i well deserve an award.....
Old 06-01-2004, 01:51 PM   #49
marloes
Eskimo Regular

well if we start handing out awards for that... then I want one too [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2004, 01:56 PM   #50
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

one for me...........

and one for you..........
Old 06-01-2004, 01:59 PM   #51
marloes
Eskimo Regular

I can't believe it, I've never gotten an award for anything [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img] I don't know what to say, I'm moved to tears. I'd like to thank everyone who helped make this possible. [img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2004, 02:01 PM   #52
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

dnt forget to thank god.........over and over and over......
Old 06-01-2004, 03:15 PM   #53
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeAngel
...excellent gig! i was the one who shouted out toffee pop (my fave song at the moment) and i was sooooo happy he played it!!!

It wasnt you that everyone is talking about. They were sitting at table 25 (third from the front, on the left). They sang and shouted throughout the whole gig.

I didnt hear anyone in the balcony. The girl with the phone, was sitting to the left of the stage on the seats along the side wall, across from the Toffee Pop girls.Edited by: daol20
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
Old 06-01-2004, 03:46 PM   #54
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Who are these 'Toffee Pop Girls'?? [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 05:09 PM   #55
eamo_rice
meh

well, that was my third Damo gig, and i have to say that it was definitely the best!! WLAM was the amazing. i really felt a lot of anger from him last night.he's got those pedals really well sussed. I felt like weeping during Volcano cos its my absolutely fave, and it was annoying having those girls sing during it. did they not realise he was going to do all the parts himself? it kinda ruined his new twist on it with them singing along. and stupid people behind me singing [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]. it wasnt so bad during the louder songs, but someone was actually singing along to Delicate. DELICATE!! can you believe it?

and Cold Water just gets better. the only problem was people taking pictures during it. they had the whole show to take pics of him, why did they have to ruin the atmosphere by causing all those flashes?

ok, rant over.

did anyone else find Babylon hilarious? i dont think Damo sounds anything like David Gray, i dont know why people say that!so it was pretty funny that he played some.

glad he played the rarer stuff like Toffee Pop. [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
eamo_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 05:15 PM   #56
eamo_rice
meh

PS!

what was the "child man and a silly dog" song during the Professor? is it new or have i just not heard it before?
eamo_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 05:16 PM   #57
Sionna
Eskimo Regular

I'd crucify them if they started singing delicate.I remember in february turning around to someone who was singing and going "yes i would like to hear damien sing and not you".In fairness though he stopped.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:46 PM   #58
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamo_rice

PS!

what was the "child man and a silly dog" song during the Professor? is it new or have i just not heard it before?

He told me in Boston that it was an old song of his...
GlttrGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 10:09 PM   #59
sonofelvis
Eskimo Regular

an absolutely, positively,truly, amazing top quality monumentally epic show, one of the seminal gigs of my lifetime.

i wish everybody could've shared in the spectacle and good feelings that were eminating from vicar st last night.

i loved every second, even the singing girls andthe toffee pop dude.

oh yeah and did anybody else spot Mr.Rice hanging out in a camo jacket with the hood up during the long knives set?? (cunning disguise damo ,really!!!)

sonofelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 10:14 PM   #60
marina
Eskimo Regular

i had my eyes closed for most of the gig....thought i was in heaven!!

only thing that got to me was that i was sitting near the door at the back, in row A (the front) so there were constantly people walking out past us, it got really annoying! me and my friend had to sit apart, but i didn't really mind, i was on cloud 9!

the crowd were better behaved than the Feb gig, but when some of the crowd started to clap near the end of the professor (before la fille danse)....i was like c'mon people do ye even know the song!

i was blown away by Prague, and cheers darlin' was just brilliant, the bottle of wine was classic

i cant remember who asked but wasn't it Sinead Martin who supported him? (well her band did)