Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 08-26-2007, 09:47 PM   #31
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

hes still doing the cheers darling drinking gimic i see.

whats that 5 and a half years and hes still using the same old routine.
nothing new or out of the ordinary so im not bummed about missing it..

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:52 PM   #32
soda
dutchkimo

he looks like he needs a haircut, was wearing 70's shades and a chain around his neck made of buttons...................
soda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:25 PM   #33
Nine
Inuit

it was incredible
Old 08-26-2007, 10:59 PM   #34
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Siward
I did make a recording, but sadly since I was singing for just about all the gig (apologies...I just can't help it), the recording is more me than Damo. For the good of humanity it won't ever hit the light of day

Ooooh Young Siward ......you have a recording!!! Haha are you sure it's that bad?? If no one else has a recording....would you reconsider?
Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:03 PM   #35
glo32
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay
Ooooh Young Siward ......you have a recording!!! Haha are you sure it's that bad?? If no one else has a recording....would you reconsider?
at least we can hear the elephant story and the tomo/lisa calls
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:16 PM   #36
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by glo32
at least we can hear the elephant story and the tomo/lisa calls
Yaaay.....there is a video on the news page of the Lisa call!

Last edited by Lindsay; 08-26-2007 at 11:45 PM.
Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:59 PM   #37
Moves-My-World
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate
hes still doing the cheers darling drinking gimic i see.

whats that 5 and a half years and hes still using the same old routine.
nothing new or out of the ordinary so im not bummed about missing it..
Very silly of you to presume a whole gig just because he does one story the same. The emotion was so much more intense in this one than the previous one I had seen and I know I may not be as expertise in you as the subject of Damien Rice but every hardcore fan of him last night will tell you Marlay Park was something special.

I was the guy in the yellow/grey striped hoody with blode spiked hair just in case anyone spotted me
Moves-My-World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:08 AM   #38
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

There are lots of clips already on youtube... seems like a pretty noisy audience, everyone singing andd screaming!!!!
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:44 AM   #39
SoCal
Eskimo Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
There are lots of clips already on youtube... seems like a pretty noisy audience, everyone singing andd screaming!!!!

My lord how many people were there!
Old 08-27-2007, 04:45 AM   #40
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

haha i completely agree... I'm watching the videos on youtube and they're a very loud and "sing along" audience!!

haha check out the coconut skins video... These people weren't even listening to Damien! hehe kinda funny!

... by the way... has anyone found a video or has one of Woman like a man... completely intrigued by SimonWales review of the performance!!??

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:51 AM   #41
gomezxico
2day is 1day away from...

thanks for the photos, soda. i see he was wearing that famous blue raincoat and totally chanelling the power of orange knickers, or something like them at least. seems like a great show.

"Argh! Why isn't this working?! Come on, Eskimo Friends, what's wrong with you?!...........Oh, I'm not logged in. "
gomezxico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:01 PM   #42
Agonofinis
Eskimo Baby

That is the third time we had seen him, and in my opinion the best yet. When you think of his minimalist, easy listening beginnings, and now, in six years, rising to a 25,000 strong crowds... not bad for a little boy from County Kildaire eh? Wonderful gig, and getting on all the other musicians for Cheers Darlin'...
Myself and Nine got there with a few friends twenty minutes before Fionn, and then held the space at the barrier directly in front of the stage for seven hours! So worth it though....
Agonofinis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #43
Ewwa
Eskimo Regular

I know SilentNight asked this question already, but there were no answers, so does anyone happen to know who was the little boy next to Shane on the Cheers Darlin pictures?
Ewwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:44 PM   #44
Moves-My-World
Eskimo Regular

This is the easiest way I can think of reviewing the gig:

Positives:
Merchandising - there was alot more t-shirts than the previous UK tour, I think a total of 9 compared to the 2 at Manchester. There was even a special one made for the Marlay Park gig (shall post a pic up if anyone wants to see it)
Venue - The sound at Marlay was terrific and even with everyone around me in the crowd belting their lungs out singing along I could still hear Damo.
Weather - O yess, belter of a day, lovely to just have a nice cold beer to and lounge about listening to live music.
Support - I would class everyone one of his supports as excellent bar Willy Mason (who was very average). The Guillemots really suprised me and I loved all their music mashes.
Value - Very reasonabley priced arena, the T-Shirts maybe not so but a pint was €5 and the burgers which were very good were the same price.
Damien - I have never seen one artist put so much emotion into a performance in my short life. He looked overwhelmed a few songs in as if he was near to tears, whether this was because of the 25,000 turning out to see him or not I don't know. About 80% of the songs had shivers on my back and even during Delicate I was close to tears. It was just a phenomenal feeling.
Camera Work: The feed of video through to the big screen was awesome. There was some poetic views of the sun setting through the trees at the side with Damien singing in the sky. There was also a brilliant brilliant brilliant camera attatched to his microphone. I really hope someone ahs a picture of this.

Negatives:
"First 500": The crowd was serperated into two sections, the pit at the front and then the rest. Only the first 500 people into the venue were allowed into this pit and no one else was even if there was about 20 people in. I pleased with the bouncers on 4 serperate occasions but to no avail.
Crowd: There was a bunch of kiddies beside me that I had to keep telling to shut up during the performance and they just found it funny. Also a red-haired volcano t-shirt wearing lady also lost their temper with them but they were just being ratbags. They finally got the message and shut up.

The End.

Well worth the 9am start and the 4am finish.

Anyone know of a possible DVD of the concert?
Old 08-27-2007, 05:51 PM   #45
Moves-My-World
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewwa
I know SilentNight asked this question already, but there were no answers, so does anyone happen to know who was the little boy next to Shane on the Cheers Darlin pictures?
Would his son be a good place to start guessing?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:50 PM   #46
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moves-My-World
Very silly of you to presume a whole gig just because he does one story the same. The emotion was so much more intense in this one than the previous one I had seen and I know I may not be as expertise in you as the subject of Damien Rice but every hardcore fan of him last night will tell you Marlay Park was something special.

I was the guy in the yellow/grey striped hoody with blode spiked hair just in case anyone spotted me
Well, to be fair, on his American tour this "story" just turned into dinner theater - the band didn't even play the song - Damien sang it over a track and pretended to be drunk the whole time. It was really rehearsed, staged, and felt empty and false. At least it looks like there were people actually playing instruments at Marley Park.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:56 PM   #47
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlttrGrrl
Well, to be fair, on his American tour this "story" just turned into dinner theater - the band didn't even play the song - Damien sang it over a track and pretended to be drunk the whole time. It was really rehearsed, staged, and felt empty and false. At least it looks like there were people actually playing instruments at Marley Park.
Totally agree.
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:24 PM   #48
Lin@
Eskimo Regular

I've been to five of his gigs this year and he didn't do the "Cheers Darling"-drinking/acting thing once.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:24 PM   #49
SimonWales
Eskimo Regular

It is nothing but theatre, but that's entertainment folks!

If you haven't seen it before, it's great. If you have, well...I've seen it 3 times now and each one has been a bit different.
It's a novel, fun way to end a show. Sure it's getting tired for the handful of people who have been to 4+ gigs with the same story, but for the other 24,900 people at Marlay Park, it was great entertainment.
If you don't want to watch the acting again, then you're more than welcome to leave and beat the crowds.

I'm sure most people would realise that he wasn't drunk, and couldn't get that drunk in the space of 3 or 4 minutes.

Like I said, I have seen him go through this performance before, but I was transfixed through it yet again. It was different, it was fun, well executed, and a great way to end the evening.
SimonWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:25 PM   #50
Lady
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentNight
thanks for pics. so many people on the stage for Cheers Darling, i only recognize Glen, was it a boy by Shane?

indeeed it was, a lovely little thing, quite the most serious one up there.
Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:29 PM   #51
Lady
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Would his son be a good place to start guessing?

ha ha ha ah aha ha hah ha ha ahh a. just figuring out that i hadn't finished the thread. S has not bred, as far as i know.

Damien can't drink to save his life by the way, so he may have been on the way. i've been at gigs before when, by the end of Cheers Darlin, he would be hard pressed to remember his name. hee hee.

staged. pah, how dare you.
Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:06 AM   #52
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
There was a bunch of kiddies beside me that I had to keep telling to shut up during the performance and they just found it funny. Also a red-haired volcano t-shirt wearing lady also lost their temper with them but they were just being ratbags.
Hahaha that was me!! Awesome!
Old 08-28-2007, 05:28 AM
Gatsby
This message has been deleted by Gatsby.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:28 AM   #53
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
okay what?
i didnt presume the whole gig. i meant that there was nothing new or different regards setlists so I'm not bothered about missing it

and for the record 25,000 is not the attendance of this gig. ye joking!

Old 08-28-2007, 07:45 AM   #54
olive31
French Eskimo

Here are a few pics...

olive31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:34 AM   #55
Damien Ricicle
Eskimo Friend

Here are a few vids includin cheers darlin

http://ie.youtube.com/my_playlists?p=41FEB17E4EB31590

great night..apart from the skangers.
Damien Ricicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:39 AM   #56
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate

and for the record 25,000 is not the attendance of this gig. ye joking!
oh really? what was it then?

i'm no good at judging numbers. but it does say 25000 on the newspage
Old 08-28-2007, 10:14 AM   #57
Livo
Eskimo Frames Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agonofinis
Myself and Nine got there with a few friends twenty minutes before Fionn, and then held the space at the barrier directly in front of the stage for seven hours! So worth it though....
agonofinis, i must have been right next to you and nine! myself and four of my friends were front and centre at the barrier, i was wearing a brown heffa t-shirt if you happened to see me.....

fantastic concert altogether. i had seen him in cork a few nights previous so there weren't that many surprises in the show, but still it was amazing nonetheless. eskimo was fabulous to hear live, as was vyv, top-notch as always setlist was great, and cheers darlin' was just incredible! lots of photos so i'll let ye know when i'm putting them up.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:27 PM   #58
olive31
French Eskimo

Here are 2 videos:
http://www.dailymotion.com/TheOlive31/marlay
olive31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:24 PM   #59
administrator
forum administrator

well, they had sold close about 23,000 tickets on wednesday, so i think it's fair to assume that 25,000 was about right. it looked even more to me.

administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:42 PM   #60
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

maybe im mistaken and they have raised the capacity. but i was sure it was between 12 - 15,000 last year or year before.

plus i didnt think damien was close to selling it out this year due to the amount of tickets going for sale at knock down prices

appologies for presuming tho