Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 09-27-2003, 08:14 PM   #1
megan
Eskimo Regular

okay, so i was a bad eskimo friend and did not write down a setlist! i was much too blown away to be writing anything down. this was my frist time seeing damien live, and my jaw was simply on the floor. wow wow wow.

let's see what i can remember. among the covers he played were 'halleluiah', 'creep', a prince song and a portishead song. it was a GREAT crowd in boulder. damien ended up being encored TWICE, and all told, he played for three hours straight. FANTASTIC.he did bring out pedestrian for a jam after the second encore. he said "okay, i am going to play ONE MORE song, and then just pretend the gig is over okay? just in case anyone is reviewing it. then i will bring out pedestrian and we will have a jam. and you can feel free to leave. " hahah. after the pedestrian jam encore, damien went on to play for about 30 MORE minutes.

he told some goofy little story that segwayed into 'childish' (which, by the way, is my new favorite damien song!!). not sure what this was, but it was hysterical. like at the other gigs, he played 'cold water' with the house and stage lights completely off, which ROCKED.

i cannot say enough for this concert. some funny tidbits... before the concert, we were waiting to get into the club, and damien was inside by the merch table eating a banana. a second later, he came thru the front doors (no one recognized him!!) with his bicycle and took off! haha. later, while pedestrian was playing, he was in and out of the crowd. at one point, the lead singer of pedestrian leaned down to talk to a security guard near the stage. apparently, the security was denying DAMIEN access to backstage! haha. the pedestrian guy goes "yeah, he's okay. " then to the crowd "man, security is so tight here they won't even let f*cking damien thru!" hahah. later, i saw damien back stage eating chips and taking photos of pedestrian.

didn't get to meet damo afterward, since it was already nearly 2:30 am and we had 20 min. drive back to our hotel. but the good news is that he is playing IN MY TOWN in november, so i will be there ALL night if it means i get to shake his hand. haha. he seems so nice, down to earth, funny, etc.

great show! well worth the insanely low price of $12 and the 14 hour round trip drive. [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

when you kiss me
on that midnight street
sweep me off my feet
singin ain't this life
so sweet...
megan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 08:18 PM   #2
megan
Eskimo Regular

forgot to mention...

during the 30 minutes of extra performance he did after the jam/second encore, he played blowers daughter II. i LOVED IT!

when you kiss me
on that midnight street
sweep me off my feet
singin ain't this life
so sweet...
megan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 09:17 PM   #3
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Three hours! [img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img] Good for you, but I'd be lying if I wouldn't admit I'm jealous. A great night was had! Came in with his bicycle....[img]smileys/smiley8.gif[/img]
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 08:13 AM   #4
murphy
Eskimo Friend

HAHA! wow... i echo angela's jealousy, but i am glad you got to experience it, meg.

how crazy of an idea would it be for me to fly out to see damien in santa fe, then ride with you to dallas to see him there and stay with josh?
murphy is offline   Reply With Quote