Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Other Music > Other Music

Old 01-27-2015, 01:49 AM   #1
LisaHanniganChile
Eskimo Friend

Default John Smith: Biography

John is a guitarist, singer and composer of Folk. He was born on January 26, 1982 in Devon, UK. Over the years, it has become one of the most important voices in this musical area in the country, despite always keep a low profile.

Smith grew up listening to the record collections of his parents: Paul Simon, Led Zeppelin, Jimmy Page and Bob Dylan. Artists that eventually inspired him to choose the path that would mark the rest of his life: music. Although initially, his artistic approach was more about drawing and comics. Ideas that "tossed out the window" once discovered in music his main lodge.

Since childhood he began playing the piano and drums. With the first it did well, unlike the second, which caused a deep frustration in John. Anyway, thanks to his father, at age 11, he first picked up an old worn acoustic guitar. With this "everything made sense".

Obsessed with Jimi Hendrix, Cream and Nirvana, wanted to dabble a bit in that musical area, but eventually was the Folk of Paul Simon and Ry Cooder which marked infinitely the way of John.

The first song he wrote was at age 20, but had no success. Working at a comic shop for the day, and playing his guitar in bars at night. Gradually the songs began to get to his head and after two years was enough for a first album.

John is considered neither a great singer and neither a great composer, but he think he have some capacity for guitar. All this, of course, as part of humility that characterizes it.

"The composition is something that I still struggle, every day", he says.

The songs of John Smith, has always had the particularity of storytelling. What does this mean? You will never hear talking about an "I" self-referential, quite the opposite. Smith, goes into different people and personalities to create a new style, special and unique which mutates constantly. It can be a man, a woman, a religious or an atheist without problem within one disc. Still, a feeling is capable of being perceived: sadness.

"Occasionally being an artist is exhausting. In those moments I had to maintain the strength of my love for music. It's like any relationship. One needs to hold on if you want it to work. I'm still learning, of course."

John had to slowly earn their place in music, yet has been complex. A few years ago he was invited to a festival in the United States. The day was cold and rainy. The enclosure was full of people around all the scenarios, except around him. He arrived alone, played alone and left alone, no applause. "The worst concert of his life," he says.

"I've always played the acoustic guitar. It was just a happy accident, to be honest"

Discs:

The Fox and the Monk, 2006.

Map or Direction, 2009.

Eavesdropping, 2011.

Great Lakes, 2013.

During his latest album, "Great Lakes", John made the opening act for the Irish troubadour Lisa Hannigan and American Joe Henry. With they formed a strong bond of friendship that continues to this day, and where, incidentally, he met the musicians who accompany yet.

«My hearts wears a fancy dress, burst at the seams»

Lisa Hannigan Chile: https://www.facebook.com/lisa.hannigan.chile

Last edited by LisaHanniganChile; 01-27-2015 at 02:06 AM.
LisaHanniganChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:49 PM   #2
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i´ve been listening to his stuff on spotify and i really like it. unfortunately, i haven´t got the chance to see him live, but i will one of these days.
thanks for posting
Old 01-31-2015, 11:16 PM   #3
NeoRice
Eskimo Baby

John is a great musician and songwriter, I have heard most of his albums and I must say that each of them is a journey through beautiful lands. I hope he return to tour with Lisa, at some point. With Lisa, Gavin and the whole band, of course.

Thanks for posting, Ariadne,
NeoRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:07 PM   #4
damien lisa
am i breaking u

shipping moment

Last edited by damien lisa; 12-17-2015 at 10:41 AM.
damien lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:44 PM   #5
acquadigio
Eskimo Regular

^ lol , Damien, don't come here
acquadigio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:32 PM   #6
demonhuntress
Eskimo Stalker

Great overview, thanks for that. I like his voice. And it really compliments Lisa's. I saw him open for Lisa in 2011 and I can't say I liked his solo stuff. His newest album is quite ok though. What's interesting is that his guitar playing inspired Ben Howard, who uses the same style from time to time. Also, I think it's quite obvious that he has a thing for Lisa but who would blame him
We will never be here again.

demonhuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:55 AM   #7
carrroline
person

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonhuntress View Post
Also, I think it's quite obvious that he has a thing for Lisa but who would blame him
I think it's endearing, the looks he gives her when they're on stage together.
carrroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:52 PM   #8
damien lisa
am i breaking u

Old 01-28-2016, 10:54 PM   #9
verenita
... trusty and true ...

wow! mundy and paul brady! fair play to the lads. nice performance
Old 02-22-2016, 10:28 PM   #10
LisaHanniganChile
Eskimo Friend

Almost a year ago, John shared the audio of this live, free, for their fans. During the week I saw that no one had uploaded to YouTube, so I did. Among the audios is "Salty & Sweet" where Lisa is singing with John; it's really beautiful. I really will feel happy if some day they make an album together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFzc...tQmKOlY6ECsd5w

LisaHanniganChile is offline   Reply With Quote