Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 11-24-2006, 08:49 AM   #1
Giungla
Eskimo Friend

Smile The Blower's Daughter cover

Ciao!

In 2005 an italian band called Aereoplanitaliani covered The Blower's Daughter with the help of Giulia Ottonello in the female part. I can't find the complete song to make you listen to it, just the first 30 seconds and the Giulia's part

It's a very different version, I prefer the original (even if i love Giulia's voice and I listen to it over and over) but I didn't know who Damien was before listening to this cover, so it made a great job for me
Giungla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:35 AM   #2
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

First of all, Welcome! Glad to have you here and glad you found Damien!

Excuse me for a moment. Please make yourself comfortable.

*leaves forum*

GAAAAAAAAAAAGH! WT...?

The woman may have a good voice but she's strangling the song with her overly flowery Showtime at the Apollo/American Idol routine. Way better than the opening though.

That intro sounded cheezy as all heck.

Still probably slightly less so than the sleazy Greek guy one.

The Brazilian covers at least attempted to keep the mood.

Who allows for this wholesale slaughter, Warner's?

*politely returns with a tea set*

K, sorry for the wait. I'm back now. So what a beautiful country you have there! Which part are you from?
Old 11-24-2006, 09:43 AM   #3
eamo_rice
meh

wouldnt mind hearing the whole thing before making an opinion... I prefer when cover versions try to do something different with the song rather than ape the artist, but the opening is a little weird. And at least the guy can sing (for what ive heard)

I think BD is too personal a song for anybody to cover to be honest, any version ive heard of it is just awful cos they don't understand it properly.
eamo_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 10:27 AM   #4
Bumpman

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamo_rice
I think BD is too personal a song for anybody to cover to be honest, any version ive heard of it is just awful cos they don't understand it properly.
I think you're pretty much right on with that, It's not a love-song, it's more of an intense-level-of-obsession-and-hatred-disguised-as-love song.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:34 AM   #5
heccubusiv
Melted Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
I think you're pretty much right on with that, It's not a love-song, it's more of an intense-level-of-obsession-and-hatred-disguised-as-love song.
thats why it went great with the movie closer. Its almost like a silent beauty that you cannot put to words, and just feel
heccubusiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:10 AM   #6
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
Nonsense, the brazilian interpretation does it great justice.
Dean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 06:23 AM   #7
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Dean,

Nonsense yourself.

You've gotta be joking. The Brazilian one isn't even close to being the same song! It may be an interesting novelty but almost all of the lyrics were altered and consequently so was the guitar and melody for just about everything other than a tiny portion of the chorus and very beginning of the verses.

The great Seu gets some of the world weariness of the original but that's largely just inherent in his fantastic, gravelly voice. It's sung so happy and played so bouncy overall that they're actually smiling though most of it. Not at all true to the original song's emotional intent. Bump is dead on: that version tried to turn one man's extremely painful examination of loss into a sweet, cheerful little love song. It reveals a cluelessness as deep as couples who use it for their wedding song.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:09 PM   #8
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet
Dean,

Nonsense yourself.

You've gotta be joking. The Brazilian one isn't even close to being the same song! It may be an interesting novelty but almost all of the lyrics were altered and consequently so was the guitar and melody for just about everything other than a tiny portion of the chorus and very beginning of the verses.

The great Seu gets some of the world weariness of the original but that's largely just inherent in his fantastic, gravelly voice. It's sung so happy and played so bouncy overall that they're actually smiling though most of it. Not at all true to the original song's emotional intent. Bump is dead on: that version tried to turn one man's extremely painful examination of loss into a sweet, cheerful little love song. It reveals a cluelessness as deep as couples who use it for their wedding song.
Note the word "interpretation", it'd be pretty boring if they made it exactly the same. Do you even know how they translated it? Do you speak Portugese (Brazilian)? Me, personally, I still find it to be pretty beautiful, especially when they do those powerful harmonies at the end.
Dean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:14 AM   #9
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean C
Note the word "interpretation", it'd be pretty boring if they made it exactly the same. Do you even know how they translated it? Do you speak Portugese (Brazilian)? Me, personally, I still find it to be pretty beautiful, especially when they do those powerful harmonies at the end.
No one's asking for a carbon copy but, again, they may just as well have written their own damned song for how little of the original remains after they added and subtracted so much from it.

The lyrics were translated here by two different Portuguese speakers several months ago when this whole topic was first raised:

And thatīs it
Like we thought it was gonna be
A simple life is so good
Almost everytime
and thatīs it
steps on the streets
Nobody notices the moon
Life always goes on

I don't know how to stop looking at you
I won't stop looking at you
I don't get tired of looking at you
I don't know how to stop
Looking at you

And thatīs it
Some believe in miracles
Some do evil
Some don't know how to tell the truth

And thatīs it
A flower seller
Teaches his children how to choose their lovers

And I don't how to stop looking at you
I don't get tired of looking at you

Not one line in there even slightly suggests that they aren't together anymore! It's the "ooh, let's just stroll down these beautiful moonlit streets looking at flower vendors and their precocious children. I could gaze into your tender eyes all night, my dumpling" song. Aw, How romantic! Pretty and all but like Bump said: just another in probably an endless line of covers which completely misses the point. Clearly it could be even worse. The Greek and Italian ones are.

Here's where it gets truly irksome:
Simone's Portuguese version ("Então Me Diz")is quite close lyrically in both the verses and choruses so it's not really even a language barrier issue. Almost everything this manly voiced Carolina chica arbitrarily and drastically altered was just because she felt like doing some happy lil' ditty.

Last edited by Spamlet; 11-29-2006 at 06:16 AM.
Spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote