Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 07-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Default my (long) review of the Paris show & aftershow!!

Still havent fully recovered from yesterdays show... what an experience... incredible show, safe setlist except Fool and Wild and Free but very powerful performance, Damo superhappy telling crazy stories, super relaxed and chillede out... but best thing... the performance he did outside after the show (told you, rule 1: never go home after a Damo gig ) where he did Insane and 2 newies including The Greatest Bastard

he explained that this is not a tour to road test new songs (as I thought) but a holiday tour that happened almost by chance. he was going to a wedding in Poland and asked his management to organize a gig there; which didnt work, but others heard and started proposing new dates and places, and he said yes cos they were nice ones like Italy, Prague or Istambul, where he has never been...

he was the hqppiest, chattiest, more relaxed ever, zero tension, cos he said hes on holidays. it was just him and the acoustic guitar but he really gave it all, he was really into the show and played with all his heart and soul and guts. the show lasted like two hours and thirty minutes but mostly cos all of the long stories, especially Amie and Cheers Darlin. and he even gave us a 2nd encore after Cheers Darlin, which he never does... he was talking sometimes French, sometimes English, mostly cos he lacked words in French

the show started around 9, after a horrible opening band: He was wearing his usual uniform, aka the patchwork shirt, the brown jacket and the orange jeans the stage had a huge piano and a table with two chairs so it was kinda clear from te start that cheers darlin was coming

he started with The Professor, greatly recieved, and Delicate. Afterwards he asked the audience and a few -me included- shouted Insane, he thought about it but didnt play it -I thought cos he didnt remember it then people shouted all kinda songs; Amie, Cold Water, and they I shouted New Songs, and he said yes and played Wild and Free... which is amazing life, almost got goosebumps, so beautiful and done with such passion and energy

then he went to the piano for Accidental babies, which was nice to hear. But it was the simple version with no intros or outros: think he needs more practice on that... then came Volcano, and he asked people to climb onstage top sing... and I did... was pretty funny but the result was super nice, its a song that really works when people do harmonies...

then he did Older chests, preceeded by the story about old buildings vs new buildings; Woman like a Man and Cococnuts, before returning to the piano for 9 Crimes; before that he told a long story about the song and how its about him going out with a French girl and having a long distance relationship and the temptations he found at parties, very funny, and 9 crimes was excellent; pure brillancy! then came Amie and febore that and even longer story, ten minutes minimum... was the usual story but with a sorta prequel on why he was depressed, cos he had burned his flat after lighting candles and being forced to move back with his parents... the last songs werer truly special, Amie, Elephant? I Remember, all pure magic... and he ended with Cannonball unplugged at the edge of the stage

then the encores, all amazing, starting with Rootless Tree on piano, then oh my he asked to lower the lights and he did Cold Water in complete darkness, so beautiful and haunting! beyond words... and to make it even better he added Hallelujah, sang beautifully, at the end...

then he did a really beautiful Blowers Daughter and finished with Cheers Darlin... asked a Polish girl onstage and they did drink a full bottle of wine while he told the story, funnier than ever, with some changes here and there, ending with Damo explaining that after one year and a half they broke up and he finally "got his treasure" - he did the last part as a Gollum impersonation lol

and I thought it was over but came back for Fool: Which was the cherry on the cake; He said that the same girl fro, 9 Cri,es was a big Jacques Brel fan and introduced to Damo but he didnt allowed him to sing Ne Me Quitte Pas. Instead he did Fool which was inspired by Brel, then he said kinda copied thats why it has never been relesed!!!!! and Fool was all kinds of amazing and beautiful and spectacular!!!

second part with the aftershow coming in a while

Last edited by borneoman; 07-06-2012 at 12:31 PM.
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Lonelier side of the jealousy stick
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
Ceren
Dreamer Deceiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shillelagh View Post
Jealous
I'm not even sure if we're in good terms with you Shillelagh, but I have to say yes, indeed.
Ceren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
A Girl That Does Yoga
Eskimo Friend

Thank you for this long review, it left me breathless! It all sounds so amazing! Also, how come I've never heard of "The Greatest Bastard" before? And I can't find it anywhere to listen to it...
A Girl That Does Yoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
Chrysler
Eskimo Regular

when did he came out? i left the artists exit at 00:15 (

did you tape the new songs? omg, then ive gotta stay longer after the concerts in italy ://
borneoman: I guess youre of the the three guys outside who were talking english?

Last edited by Chrysler; 07-06-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Chrysler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
A Girl That Does Yoga
Eskimo Friend

Oh, yes, as I'm going to Prague show, any recommendations where and for how long should we wait outside of venue for "after show"? :P
Old 07-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

but the best was yet to come... we waited at the artists exit on a side street for ages... in the end Damo and co came, including Yael Naim... Id say he was tipsy to say the least... first we started asking questions... half of us were Spanish - at least six... so first he told how he doesnt play Spain cos for him Spain is holidays and doesnt wanna work where he does holidays; Said he has a very good friend there from Colombia that he vists often. Then the important question... the new album... he said a CD is coming but when its not his choice (I wonder who decides then!!) that he has recorded tons of songs but hes still playing with them... then we all said we wanted to hear new son,gs and he went to pick up the guitar, then we all sitted in a circle in the ground, and Damien played kneeling... first he aks, you guys asked for Insane, right? and he starts playing it... unbelievable... to hear your favourite song in the world being sung by your favourite singer in the world in a side street in Paris with just 20 people sitting in a circle is priceless!!! but the funniest thing was that he forgot the words, and asked us; how it continues? and I said, Did I confess... and he said oh yeah and continued hahaha I feel a bit like Damo helping Bono with the lyrics of One after that they passed the guitar around and others played like Yael Naim...

then it was Damos turn again and he asked us, what do you want? and I said, New Song!! and he did a newie that Id call Back To Her Man, with all of us singing the chorus, which was very simple, just repeating the title... nice little song, quite uplifting... I remember some random lyrics but not much (the look of hunger in a woman, theres a look of war... an arrow is loose... picking up your own pocket...)... He asked people not to tape/no youtube (so Id say hes not gonna do more newies on stage apart from Wild and Free) then there was some more songs by other people and then he did sing for the last time and he did The Greatest Bastard.

someone posted the lyrics from the recordings in Iceland and I did recognize it right away. And its the best thing ever. In the same vein as Elephant or Insane...
the lyrics are just pure poetry, simple but beautiful... it starts...

I made you laugh I made you cry I made you open up your eyes, didnt I?
I helped you open up your wings, your legs and many other things, didnt I?
I am the greatest bastard that you met...

and then I remember some other parts...
we were good when we were good; when we were not...
help me learn how to forgive...
I wish I could say the same, when you left, you left the blame...
Im dreaming once again, some dreams are better when they end...
letting go is not the same as pushing someone away...

This last line was so beatiful and 1000 per cent about Lisa

and thats it... oh one last thing, then we all kinda went to say bye to Damo and leave... when I did; I asked him; whats the title of the newie you did in the main show? and he said It doesnt have a name, well, The Box! and I said, oh we call it Wild and Free and he says, really? thats a nice name haha so right now its not called Wild and Free but The Box, but he kinda seemed to like my suggestion!!! when leaving I was also surprised cos he shouted Arrivederci

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old 07-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #8
Chrysler
Eskimo Regular

omg i am so jealous
Chrysler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

maybe he didnt show up until 1am maybe
Old 07-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
daavo
Accidental Eskimo Baby

Fool. Absolutely priceless.

And borneoman - what an amazing experience, really happy (and incredibly jealous) for you.
daavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #11
Joyful
Eskimama

Loved the review! So glad that you got to go. Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #12
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i can´t find the words to describe how amazed i am by your review, marti (you are the best at gigs ) and by the video you posted, daavo. thanks a million! i just can´t wait to the gigs in italy...
Old 07-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #13
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular

nice one, marti!
Old 07-07-2012, 05:54 AM   #14
genia
Eskimo Friend

Thanks so much great stuff...you had an amazing evening.
genia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:34 AM   #15
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

thanks a lot, marti! that sounds astonishing - i love your reviews - they make me feel almost like i've been there...
Old 07-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #16
A Girl That Does Yoga
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetzirah View Post
thanks a lot, marti! that sounds astonishing - i love your reviews - they make me feel almost like i've been there...
I felt pretty much the same when I read it, I could imagine it all to details!
Old 07-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #17
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

took a few videos too, my fav has to be Fool

9 Crimes with the funny story

The Blower's Daughter

Last edited by borneoman; 07-07-2012 at 01:38 PM.
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #18
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Remember that I said it should probably be called "Box" the first time he played it? :O
Old 07-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #19
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

awesome awesome stuff marti....................sounds like a great gig and the time of your life! very happy for you man!!!!

heading off to check the videos...............
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #20
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

wow he really does seem very happy................love the shirt!

the stories are great!! lol on the difference between dope and booze!!
Old 07-07-2012, 05:00 PM
cuuliem
This message has been deleted by cuuliem.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:03 PM
cuuliem
This message has been deleted by cuuliem.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #21
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

the sperm story before Amie

Old 07-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #22
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

and a guy has upped some incredible videos, from so so so close it's almost scary

Accidental Babies

I Remember
Old 07-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #23
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

incredible indeed.................it is actually the camera as you can see him zoom in

god damn I have missed this fecken bastard!

have a great time in Italy! and Prague and wherever else he is playing while on "holiday!!"
Old 07-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #24
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet View Post
Remember that I said it should probably be called "Box" the first time he played it? :O
hahaha the first thing I thought when he said it was The Box was damit Spamlet was right but I really think Wild and Free would be a better title and I think he kinda liked my suggestion
Old 07-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #25
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

people are putting up incredible videos, but what kinda cameras people have these days?

Old 07-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #26
verenita
... trusty and true ...

his performance and his mood were superlative! i hope he carries it on along the whole mini tour

thanks guys for the vids! thumbs up for you, spam and nice picture, marti

amazing version, even better than the he played in england. i rather "the box" to "wild and free"... but i still call it myself "mirror", hehe.

Last edited by verenita; 07-08-2012 at 12:40 PM.
verenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:37 AM   #27
QueenOfTheSouth
Eskimo Friend

Does it matter if Ziggy Marley has a new album out also called "Wild and Free"?
QueenOfTheSouth is offline   Reply With Quote