Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 08:25 AM   #91
alumni
Eskimo Regular

[quote=Spamlet]Shyatt, Thank you. Yes, actually: at my graduation yesterday I was called exceptionally "kind, gentle and open-hearted". Read the above comments to the "lady doth" carvin for my answer to your counterclaims. I appreciate your mature and diplomatic attitude greatly and look forward to future equally respectful discussions.
QUOTE]

And my lord...... I like you,seriously, I do like you but eugh, give it a rest will you.You must be told, You sound like a such arrogant arse.

Last edited by alumni; 08-29-2006 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:57 AM   #92
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Topic

Old 08-29-2006, 09:11 AM   #93
Timeé
Intello

leave Spamlet alone his opinions are valued by me as well as lots of others.
and he is right this time.

as for the new album. i hope there are no collaberations and hope that someday he might do that seperately.

i can just imagine it.

Damien and the Hannigans
A couple of bucks from you?
Old 08-29-2006, 05:06 PM   #94
Five Leaves Left
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet
YES. I stand by what I said. That what you guys wrote smacks of racism. That, by definition, means it suggests without being blatently stated (like, oh I dunno, wearing a KKK outfit). The vast majority of racist behavior takes the more covert form but is no less damaging. You two alternately stated that people who communicated in the manner of the examples you gave were "stupid". You claimed one had to "turn their brain off" in order to speak that way. Now please explain to me why exactly you make fun of people who talk like that? Is it only when they aren't black? If so, then you admit that there is a racial element to your mockery. If not, then are you saying the speech itself (and, therefore, the black people who created it and perpetuated its spread) is "stupid"? Which is it? Either way you look at it, racism is present here.

Where am I crying? I asked you politely and calmly not to discriminate and gave my reasons. The fact that white teenagers have appropriated or co-opted such slang does nothing to diminish the fact that the words and phrases cited were ebonic in their origin. I'm well aware such slang is widespread now but I'm not the one who had a problem with that fact. You are. No distinction was ever made that it is the borrowing of that language, which you now claim, you were objecting to.

But, no. I don't think there's anything inherently racist in "all the white kids" (there goes your stereotyping again) who use such slang to honestly express themselves. If it is used as mockery of the way others talk because you feel superior to them then that's an entirely different story. That's what you admit to doing. That's what I find offensive and ignorant.
Spamlet,

I commend your politeness in this post and the previous, however i kinda disagree with you. it seems like so many things today that arent racist are called racist and it really is ashame because there are really serious racial issues, against all races, whites, blacks, asians, etc...

Yes the words and phrases are ebonic in their origin but that does not mean that it is racist to mock them, just because you mock something that black people happen to have created doesnt make it racist.

You also commented on how the mocking in this thread obviously infered stupidity on the people that actually do talk that way. And i would have to say that people that do talk that way are not smart in the English language, which means that they are stupid in the english language, everyone who honestly talks like that whether they are white or black or any other race, they cannot speak english in an intelligent manner so the speak it in a stupid manner.

-mike
Old 08-29-2006, 05:52 PM   #95
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

Quote:
YES. I stand by what I said. That what you guys wrote smacks of racism. That, by definition, means it suggests without being blatently stated (like, oh I dunno, wearing a KKK outfit). The vast majority of racist behavior takes the more covert form but is no less damaging. You two alternately stated that people who communicated in the manner of the examples you gave were "stupid". You claimed one had to "turn their brain off" in order to speak that way. Now please explain to me why exactly you make fun of people who talk like that? Is it only when they aren't black? If so, then you admit that there is a racial element to your mockery. If not, then are you saying the speech itself (and, therefore, the black people who created it and perpetuated its spread) is "stupid"? Which is it? Either way you look at it, racism is present here.

Where am I crying? I asked you politely and calmly not to discriminate and gave my reasons. The fact that white teenagers have appropriated or co-opted such slang does nothing to diminish the fact that the words and phrases cited were ebonic in their origin. I'm well aware such slang is widespread now but I'm not the one who had a problem with that fact. You are. No distinction was ever made that it is the borrowing of that language, which you now claim, you were objecting to.

But, no. I don't think there's anything inherently racist in "all the white kids" (there goes your stereotyping again) who use such slang to honestly express themselves. If it is used as mockery of the way others talk because you feel superior to them then that's an entirely different story. That's what you admit to doing. That's what I find offensive and ignorant.
you need to STFU man. no racism was involved till you threw it into play. it isn't "sterotyping" by saying "all the white kids," because it is FACT that here most of the people talking like that are white kids. and MOST, not all but MOST, of them ARE stupid kids who smoke cigarettes in the bathroom and do stupid crap like that. if you don't like the sterotype they have given themselves then YOU come and fix it of STFU.

you yourself are sterotyping by saying we are being "ignorant and stupid."

it is COMPLETELY sterotypical of YOU to say that that language was created by black people and black people alone. quit being a hypocrite, get over your pointless BS, and STFU man. you're are being everything you are b*tching about.

and don't b*tch to me about the KKK picture... it wasn't me and i don't give a sh*t. if you weren't walking around with your mothers strap on shoved up your arse you'd realize that it was a joke picture. sure, not the right thing to do, but a joke none the less. i think you are the only one who missed that... did you not notice the jeans showing, the beer in his hand, and the keg covered in ice?

if you cannot take simple JOKING about how we were typing then please do yourself a favor and refrain from getting on any message board, ever. we were NOT calling the way the talk stupid, but the way the type. you looked far to into the context and got yourself pissed off about something that wasn't even there. the way we typed was what we were calling stupid... not the choice of words they use.

n0w, yoU b3tter t@ke yO po!ntle$$ b*tching sum wher els3.

Last edited by carvinC980t_kid; 08-29-2006 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:03 PM   #96
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

Quote:
Ancyuber,
Not comparable. Damo himself has proudly referred to himself and that shirt as "hippy" as have numerous others here. At this point, it's akin to shorthand to say "the patchwork" shirt or "the hippy shirt". It was merely a clever play on words and, in any case, was in no way used negatively since it was part of a proposed cheer of approval and encouragement.

Shyatt, Thank you. Yes, actually: at my graduation yesterday I was called exceptionally "kind, gentle and open-hearted". Read the above comments to the "lady doth" carvin for my answer to your counterclaims. I appreciate your mature and diplomatic attitude greatly and look forward to future equally respectful discussions.

Sniffer,
Yes.
oh great, i mean, refering to that shirt as "hippy" isn't sterotyping? good or bad, it was sterotyping and you are now a hypocrite. good job slick.

now you are sterotyping me saying ""lady doth" carvin" and refering to me has not mature and all the BS you wrote. you are an IDIOT if you think you are not doing the same thing you are b*tching about.

do us all a favor... quit bending down and grabbing you ankles so much, take your own advice, and stfu man.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:12 PM   #97
Five Leaves Left
Eskimo Regular

Carvin, show some respect you shouldnt just flip out on someone like that. you can just agree to disagree, or debate peacefully.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:17 PM   #98
mickey13086
Eskimo with a name..Chris

I feel like this thread has a problem with focusing... but anywho... i like healthy debate...

but i really wanted to say was that Yes... Vyv is gorgeous

MySpace
Old 08-29-2006, 08:02 PM   #99
Greenmeanie
green and mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five Leaves Left

You also commented on how the mocking in this thread obviously infered stupidity on the people that actually do talk that way. And i would have to say that people that do talk that way are not smart in the English language, which means that they are stupid in the english language, everyone who honestly talks like that whether they are white or black or any other race, they cannot speak english in an intelligent manner so the speak it in a stupid manner.

-mike
I dunno whether the comments were racists or not, but just had to say something about this bit since it irks me when people say stuff like that - there is no such thing as 'speaking the english language intelligently'. 'English', just like every other language, is made up of different forms or dialects, which all have their own grammar or language rules. The type of language which people were mocking is just a dialect like any other. No one dialect is more or less complex than another, and so can't be used to gauge intelligence. There is an idea that there is a correct way of speaking, but this is a social idea, not based on linguistic fact. If you mean they aren't using 'standard english', then that's true, but standard english is also a dialect, again no less or more complex than other forms.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:10 PM   #100
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

This is ridiculous
Old 08-29-2006, 08:24 PM   #101
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlttrGrrl
This is ridiculous
oh yeah!
Old 08-29-2006, 08:47 PM   #102
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five Leaves Left
Carvin, show some respect you shouldnt just flip out on someone like that. you can just agree to disagree, or debate peacefully.
i'll show some respect when the guy quits making incorrect acusations and quits being a hypocrite. he started the racism issue in this thread and he is blaming it on others.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:04 PM   #103
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

i bet the shirt is smeellly! do u think he has a million identical shirts?
Old 08-29-2006, 11:06 PM   #104
VolcanoesMeltUDown
Eskimo Friend

I am TOTALLY PSYCHED!! Thank you for this info!!!
Old 08-29-2006, 11:45 PM   #105
administrator
forum administrator

everyone please calm down and stick to the topic, or i will have to close this thread at the very least.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:35 AM   #106
Ranting Thespian
Eskimo Regular

I'm just not going to return to this thread. Have a nice day .
Old 08-30-2006, 05:59 PM   #107
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvinC980t_kid
we were NOT calling the way the talk stupid, but the way the type. you looked far to into the context and got yourself pissed off about something that wasn't even there. the way we typed was what we were calling stupid... not the choice of words they use.
That's my nigger...I absolutely agree with you.

I think Damien should sing with Gemma Hayes together (okay, he did it with Juniper once) or record a song.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:33 PM   #108
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

i'm white sir.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:54 PM   #109
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Shut it down! shut it down! This is really truly stupid and absurd. And I thought the dr forum people were bad...

It's called a TOPIC people! seriously...
Old 08-30-2006, 09:17 PM   #110
Five Leaves Left
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik
That's my nigger
maybe thats not offensive in Deutschland but its such a horrible word and definately crossed the line....maybe this thread should be shut down, after all it was started on a lie.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:48 PM   #111
Beevers_uk
Esquimal Conducido Pasión

Location: In My Sugar Coated World, Filled With Angels And Love And Happiness And... And You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlttrGrrl
Shut it down! shut it down! This is really truly stupid and absurd. And I thought the dr forum people were bad...

It's called a TOPIC people! seriously...
I agree!! Come on guys, the topic please!! If you want to discuss that stuff, then open another thread, dedicated tot hat subject, but not in this topid!! I feel mean now lol

- Im Not Who You Think I am, I Slipped A Stranger Inside -
...~Noelie Mcdonnell~...
- You'll Be My Muse, And I'll Be Your Poet -
...~My Myspace Thingy~...
Old 08-31-2006, 02:01 AM   #112
Greenmeanie
green and mean

Er, it's hardly world war three. Conversations evolve, I think everyone should settle down a bit.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:13 AM   #113
Sniffer
Eskimo Regular

Do you not all have real lives?
Come on.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:18 AM   #114
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

hey, people throwing out things like the word "niggar" is much more offensive then any other word i can think of. you come to my school and call a black person a niggar and i promise you you will be put in critical condition for it. there was nothing racial about this thread untill spamlet started making false accusations, then someone put a picture of a fake kkk member, and now refering to someone as a "niggar" is just to far. i know plenty of white people who'd beat your a** untill you were on life support for saying that.. it isn't just people of african descent. using that word, even jokingly, is completely ignorant.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:24 AM   #115
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
I think Damien should sing with Gemma Hayes together (okay, he did it with Juniper once) or record a song.
no, no gemma hayes. i'm just not a big fan. i think that it really shouldn't have any other guest unless it is for musical purposes and not vocal purposes. it just seems like it would kind of kill the vibe.. atleast imo
Old 08-31-2006, 07:00 PM   #116
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Quote:
i'm white sir.
Sure, I knew that. The term can be also used for 'buddy', 'mate' where you twist the sense (like when black people call themselves niggers among each other) etc. and that's what I did. Just wanted to show how easily people can get offended by the slightest crap, it's ridiculous.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:13 PM   #117
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

the term nigger is still a term that only blacks can use between eachother. it is NOT approiate for a white person to refer to their friend as "their nigger"

it is a black term used amongst black people. not for you or i.

way to be ignorant and not prove anything but that fact that you are retarded.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:32 PM   #118
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

So is it true now with this September release date for Damien's album?

Quote:
the term nigger is still a term that only blacks can use between eachother. it is NOT approiate for a white person to refer to their friend as "their nigger"
Nope, I can use what i want and i can twist what i want. It's the world of the free. That's the greatest gift we have: using words out of context or twisting words to ridicule their "true meaning". Some people may not understand the healthy, cleansing sarcasm behind that. Have you ever seen the german "apple party"? They poke fun at the nazi parties in Germany while twisting their symbols, programms etc.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:41 PM   #119
cille
creepycute

Quote:
So is it true now with this September release date for Damien's album?

no, probably not henders - if you'd read the thread release date is more likely februrar'ish...
Old 08-31-2006, 07:48 PM   #120
ancyuber
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille
no, probably not henders - if you'd read the thread release date is more likely februrar'ish...
I remember hearing that last year...

and the year before..
Closed Thread