Go Back   The Igloo > Other Music > Other Music

Old 01-15-2009, 11:05 PM   #1
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Default "Goodbye to our friends at Road Records"

From The Frames' Myspace

Quote:
Sad news for Dublin ... goodbye to our friends at Road Records

You can read Dave's statement about having to close the best independent music store Ireland will ever know: Road Records closes

for those in Dub, please go on over to Fade street and check out what stock is left and give Dave and Julie our very best, don't think we'll get back to town before they close.
I don't live in Dublin and i'm sad.

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
Rai
Eskimontologist

It seemed a great place when I dropped in in July, its a shame it's leaving. I wonder why they aren't going online though, like Kennys Bookstore did when the rents got too high in Galway.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i have no clue about this store. but i think to post this "goodbye" on the frames´s myspace is a lovey gesture. maybe some of dubliners can go.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:57 AM   #4
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Where am I going to get my physical copy of skylarkin now?????

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:28 AM   #5
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

independent record stores are a dying breed. it's sad.
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:16 AM   #6
cille
creepycute

OOOOHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
It seemed a great place when I dropped in in July, its a shame it's leaving. I wonder why they aren't going online though, like Kennys Bookstore did when the rents got too high in Galway.
Yeah they really should - they already had an online store, would be great if they could keep that one.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaoran View Post
Where am I going to get my physical copy of skylarkin now?????
Well, I bought mine at the Grafton Street HMV because Road Records and a few other indie stores I looked didn't have it...

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Old 01-16-2009, 11:25 AM   #8
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

I'm really gutted by this. Most of the records I bought in a record shop (though in recent years I've been buying more and more records direct from bands at gigs) came from Road. Dave and Julie were two of the genuinely nicest people connected to the music scene in Dublin.

On top of that no one supported local music more than they did. They would stock anyone and everyone who came in to the store asking them to sell their records, even if it was on CD-R and in a crappy hand made cover. In the case of one of my friends who makes rather good but somewhat harsh and left of field electronic music they were the only shop in the whole country that would stock his releases.

It's so disappointing.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
Joyful
Eskimama

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight View Post
independent record stores are a dying breed. it's sad.
It is so sad. Same with independent bookstores. The city I live in had a really cozy independent bookstore that had been in this great downtown location for 30 years. It closed 2 years ago because it could no longer afford the rent. Now the space has been sitting there empty and un-rented for the last 2 years. Every time I pass it I feel sick and annoyed. And I have to drive a long way for an independent record shop. They are all closing.
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:06 PM   #10
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

ah no. what a shame.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:13 PM
#Ian#
This message has been deleted by #Ian#.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:14 PM   #11
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Following on from last month’s story that Road Records is to close, On The Record has learned that moves are now underway to ensure the Dublin record store will remain open for business.
These plans revolve around a Save Road Records investment club with a number of music industry personnel and other interested parties taking a shareholding in the business. It is hoped that this investment will mean that the Fade Street store remains open and allow it to develop a long term strategy.
Furter details as they emerge.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/onth...ness/#comments
Old 02-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #12
Rai
Eskimontologist

^Great news!

At the article site, I lold at this comment:

"Rumour has it that U2 now have a controlling share in the business. They’ve already applied for planning permission to put a glass atrium on the roof.

Comment by Peter81"

Old 02-13-2009, 02:31 PM   #13
mark.
Eskimo Friend

That's fantastic news Really hope this does actually happen, Road Records is way too good a place to lose.
mark. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #14
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

well bad news. its closing for definite now

Quote:
How do I begin a piece like this, without repeating everything I wrote nearly two years ago now.

I suppose I would have to say its with great sadness to inform you we are finally closing the doors of Road Records.
Its been a difficult two years since we first faced the prospects of closure and we have literally worked night and day to try and see if we could save the shop and make it a viable business again. The current economic situation in this country added to the many problems we faced in the past have finally caught up with us and we can no longer sustain this little shop.
This time, I am sad to say, there is no alternative for us, we have literally tried everything in our powers to keep this place operating and nothing has worked for us. It hasn’t been an easy decision to make, if anything its even more difficult than two years ago, we have had amazing support from people but nothing we do seems to work anymore.
With debts beginning to build again Julie and myself have finally decided that we cannot take any more risks personally and before things get any worse we will have to finally walk away from the shop for the last time.

I have to say I still have no regrets about the last 13 years, its been a real blast and a pleasure to be here over the years. We have met some amazing people and have become friends with some truly amazing bands. The level of support we have received since last year has been truly mindblowing but so much has changed economically since then that its just not possible to sustain such a small record shop like this anymore.

I am not going to give out about the music business this time around, its just one of those things and we have finally come to a stage where I think the days of the small indie store are numbered. It’s sad to have to admit that but this time I think its true, we can’t blame digital sales, illegal downloading etc, the world is a changing place and I can’t see any room in it for kooky little indie stores like ourselves.

We will be starting our closing down sale this Saturday [17th July] and everything will be on sale at a 25% reduction. We will be open for just one more week after that with the final day being Saturday 24th of July. Literally everything will be going on sale so if you want to pick up a cheap stereo, cash register or stapler, then do drop in.

We would both like to thank each and everyone of you for your support over the years, maybe we will catch up at some point in the future.

We would also like to thank all our wonderful staff from the last 14 years, in person they are – Dylan, Jonny, Jimmy, Gib, Colm, John, Chip and Aengus.

As for what we will do next, the honest answer is we really don’t know, hopefully we can pay off any debts we have and then at least we have a beautiful little baby boy to try and put a smile back on our faces.

Thanks & Adios
Dave and Julie
Old 07-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #15
Rai
Eskimontologist

Oh, ****.

I wanted to drop by in August. I'll be passing through Dublin tonight, but won't have the time to hop in. ****.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:15 AM   #16
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I'll be in Dublin in the weekend, might drop by!!!
Old 07-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #17
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

ooooooh, this is so sad! i just hope that they'll have their beautiful baby boy to make them smile again soon
Old 07-15-2010, 01:41 PM   #18
cille
creepycute

Aw, sad sad sad. I had kind of wished they would have continued as a web shop at least, but I guess it's too hard to compete with the cheaper sites.