Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

Old 02-04-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
quiquemartin
Eskimo Regular

Default The "Damo Pedal"

Hi!

A tech is building for me what I call the "damo pedal".

That is, a parallel looper. You connect the guitar to it, then the signal splits, one part goes to the amp or the PA and the other part goes to a send return, finally both signals mix again and you have one mono signal with to sounds, the processed one and the direct one. I will have 2 pots to mix both signals so i can even use it as a booster. I will have also a phase switch.

Active and true bypass custom made with custom inlays ( I can put Damo Pedal or whatever) for 65 euros total amount.

Have you listen volcano live? Thats the effect, natural acoustic sound and wah with distorsion together on one signal

do you use something similar??

By the way, I know damo uses a rat (like I do) but I don't like the results with the acoustic. I have tried a p90 humbucker (like damo) and a lrbaggs m1 active. Next step is to modify the rat.
quiquemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
JCpatriot66
Eskimo Friend

Mine isn't exactly like Damien by any means, but here is what I do (and it gets the acoustic/electric dual channel thing going well)...

I run my guitar through, first, a Boss LS-2 line selector. It has two channels, A and B. I keep the B channel clean, which runs it automatically as a bypass clean channel. The A channel I set up with my wah (Vox) and distortion (Boss OS-2, I plan on upgrading soon though), then back to the A return. That gives the output channe on the LS-2, when the proper settings are applied, the clean/distortion mix. Then all that runs through my delay (Boss DD-6) and, finally, the looper (DigiTech JamMan).

The thing about the LS-2 is that you can also use it as a booster like you say, which is pretty cool. Usually, however, I set both A and B channels equal and alter the effect level of my OS-2. It's not exactly the same as Damien, but it works for what I do.
JCpatriot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:58 AM   #3
quiquemartin
Eskimo Regular

Do you have samples?
I think, what damien uses is the boss ls-2, I think.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
JCpatriot66
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiquemartin View Post
Do you have samples?
I think, what damien uses is the boss ls-2, I think.
I don't have a ton of high-quality recordings, but a friend of mine uploaded a youtube of something I did at my university's talent competition last night. You can't tell the separation of the channels all that well due to video quality, but they are definitely different.

I also have a couple things up on my musician page (search Nick Hopkins on facebook under pages), but none that show the difference all that well at the moment. I need to upload some newer stuff in the audio samples, and all the videos are straight acoustic.

For Damien, I know for a fact he uses the Boss LS-2. Here's a picture (taken from somewhere on this site, can't remember where) of his rig at one point. The exact wiring is iffy, but those are the components.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Damien Setup.jpg (39.3 KB, 51 views)
Old 02-08-2010, 12:36 AM   #5
quiquemartin
Eskimo Regular

Good!!
I love it. Very Damien's like.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
JCpatriot66
Eskimo Friend

Haha, thanks. Like I said, you can't hear the pedal effects that well (distortion + clean). Probably the best part is around the 5:35ish mark in the video. Basically, the LS-2 is all you need to get that effect, with whatever distortion you want in the A channel and nothing in the B channel, then the LS-2 set to A+B Mix. Tada.