Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

Old 02-12-2005, 01:50 PM   #31
Jen de mighty
Dancin' eskimo

oh god...it the same with bongo players..their whole hand covers over..ewwww..i know its natural and all for the music but...[img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]

My fingers are sufficently hard so i dont feel much pain anymore - except when ya play outside in the cold...oh the blood..oh the horror..

keep playing - itll come!!
Old 02-12-2005, 02:03 PM   #32
maccas81
Eskimo Ladies Man

try vinegar on the tips of the fingers, that sometimes helps toughen them up, but there really is no substitute for an initial period of suffering, after which all will be well!
Old 03-01-2005, 04:14 PM   #33
walker
The Masked Eskimo

Smile

Just keep playing, eventually you will get calluses and you wont be able to feel it anymore.
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 11:21 PM   #34
snowbaby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas9

All medical practitioners will tell you thatcallus is a bad thing, because:

A) It leaves you wide open to infection

B) Your skin is effectively left numb

[/i]
thank you, very interesting to read!!! cause a friend of mine that's a pharmacist told me her husband uses methylated spirits, you know the purple cleaning spirits... she didn't seem to have any major medical thing against it but i guess i didn't ask cause i wanted to try it it kinda numbs them and must be really really bad but it does kinda work if you don't care what could possibly happen you!!!
snowbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:42 PM   #35
hotwhiskey
Eskimo Baby

A cheat for beginners is that you can put a tiny quantity of superglue on the tips of your fingers. (Make sure the skin is in good condition first obviously and don't use on fingers made raw by practising!)
Old 03-09-2005, 02:10 AM   #36
catcherjf
I'm a Believer

speaking of bongo players and super glue, the drummer from guster, brian has beat the hell out of his hands and on the intro of their dvd you see him closing up some open skin on his fingertips with superglue. The man is an animal!

I found myself pressing my finger tips on anything with an edge throughout the day when i wasnt playing the guitar. I have been playing for two weeks now and they are finally starting to not bother me.

Good luck
Old 03-11-2005, 10:03 AM   #37
awoooo
Eskimo Baby

play more, build MASSIVE CALLUSES (i cant spell) ...learn "msg in a bottle" thatll toughen you up good
awoooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 07:11 PM   #38
Gazel
Eskimo Regular

on a simliar topic, over the last couple of days my fingers have been aching like hell non stop, its really painful Anyone know what it might be from?
Gazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 07:52 PM   #39
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazel
on a simliar topic, over the last couple of days my fingers have been aching like hell non stop, its really painful Anyone know what it might be from?
in what sense? joints? skin?

i've been playing quite a while but i think u need to progress right, the first time i played i went crazy on an electric and blistered up my fingers so i couldn't play at all for about a week, then i learn't properly on nylon strings. the transition from nylon to steel is a killer, then i thought i was cured my fingers touhgened up and everything but rescently i've been trying out some crazyly good finger picking stuff and ragtime is simply a killer and i'm feeling like i did back in th'ol' days. as madona would say "like a virgin". if it wasn't for the pain i'd never go to sleep or do anything but guitar.

edit: and i'm picking with my nails now

Last edited by PenguinBoy; 06-03-2005 at 07:55 PM.
PenguinBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 07:57 PM   #40
Gazel
Eskimo Regular

Nah its a joint thing. I've been playing quite a while so i dont think its my hands asjusting to playing or anything, I'm not even sure if its guitar related. All I know is that its driving me nuts

Thanks for your help though!
Gazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:00 PM   #41
kel :)
arty eskimo

i have gotten calluses and am so glad cause it doesnt hurt half as much....also workin with wire cause of art gives ya calluses too so im never without!! although, unfortunately, what with calluses on the tips of your fingers and short stubby nails, hands are disgusting cause of the guitar!!
Old 06-04-2005, 12:26 AM   #42
Xanthe
Eskimo Friend

Location: Everywhere you want to be...well, if you want to be in the south of England.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel :)
although, unfortunately, what with calluses on the tips of your fingers and short stubby nails, hands are disgusting cause of the guitar!!
Not to sound like a complete girl here, but it was a little sad to have to abandon all attempts at having nice hands - I used to have such pretty nails and now...

But on the plus side, my fingers are deadening up nicely - although I'm quite upset to be past the 'perpetual pins and needles' stage, it was such a nice feeling that I was always digging my nails into my fingertips...probably shouldn't go round admitting to things like that...
Old 06-09-2005, 02:50 PM   #43
rockthesmurf
Friend

Personally, I found the best way to toughen up my skin and strengthen my hand muscles was to play barre chords non stop, works even better if you have a big necked guitar, a classical of 12 string for example.