Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

View Poll Results: Music Lessons or No Lessons?
No Training 8 50.00%
Formal Training 8 50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
purebloom
Eskimo Friend

Default Read Music or Self-taught?

Okay, first off this isn't meant to put anyone down... but I'd like everyone to answer honestly.

I myself am a self-taught musician and pride myself in my abilities. I'm not the greatest guitarist, but I've been playing for 14 years (I'm 21).

Currently, I am taking piano lessons and advancing rapidly because of my somewhat understood but informal knowledge of music. I am finally learning how to actually READ music and am learning theory... both of which I think can only help a self-taught musician.

So, if you only read tabs, or know very little theory or how to read music then vote that you have had "No Training". If you have taken many lessons and can easily sight read to a piece select "Formal Training".

I'd like to see how many musicians we have on here who have had training vs. no training.

And once again, there is nothing wrong with not having training experience... I know there are musicians who have made it big that have never had lessons. However, I truly believe it can only help.

In addition to this poll also feel free to discuss how you feel on the issue.

Last edited by purebloom; 06-23-2006 at 03:51 PM.
purebloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:14 PM   #2
Livo
Eskimo Frames Expert

well i started learning the piano and doing music theory when i was 7 until i was 12, when i gave up. when i was 13 i took up the guitar and pretty much taught myself to play it. i think i find it easier to pick it up from scratch than someone who has no history of musical education. my friend taught herself to play as well and she doesn't understand much about rhythm or tones and semitones and stuff like that. even though i only have a rudimentary understanding of music theory, it's helped me.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:18 PM   #3
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

formal forsure. i'm in 12 grade and am 17years old and have been taking guitar/theory lessons since the 4th grade. i recently quit taking lessons about 5months ago. i quit learning. thought about paying some real high dollar prices for some classical lessons, but then my feelings for music changed.

my original plan was to attend Berklee School of Music as i had already talked to a professor who told me i would have no problems getting into their school. my goal in life from about 5 grade till earlier this year was to attend that music school and become a Doctor in the feilds of musical science(theory) and education so that i could be a college professor and teach somewhere. now things have changed. i came here from a background of "shredding" and progressive metal. i can play all kids of stuff from dream theater, steve vai, jason becker, marty freidman, yngwie malmsteen, all the top guitars/progbands, but yet the constant hearing of other guitarist putting eachother down and talking trash about other peopls playing abilities have killed my passion for that genere of music it. sure i can play guitar really well. i play a steve vai signature 7string guitar, but now it hangs on my wall, because i don't play that type of stuff anymore. immature kids killed my passion, but have cause me to find one i'm much much more happy with! acoustic, folk, soul, funk, jazz, and blues are now my passion. i still play technical songs just because i like to keep my fingers quick enough to be up to the challage if, which always happens, someone says "that kids sucks at guitar... he is full of sh*t" i'm always ready to have a little guitar off. i don't do it to be impressive though. just to put people in their place and make them abit more humble. i get made fun of becasue all i listen to now days is stuff like damien rice and when a kid talking trash sees a "hippie," as some people call me for an insult, pick up an electic guitar and shred. it makes them realize just because you don't play music that is about being flashyoesn't mean there is no skill in that musician or that they don't have the "feel" to play well. i don't want anyone to ever think i'm cocky either! i've learned to be humble, show respect, and enjoy and not onl will you enjoy playing more, but you'll quickly learn where music stands in your heart. if its really what you want and your passion or if its just a hobby you love to do!

i feel lessons a great! self tought isn't bad, but lessons can only make everything better!

oh and on a side note. i teach guitar lessons right now : )

Last edited by carvinC980t_kid; 06-23-2006 at 05:22 PM.
carvinC980t_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 09:15 PM   #4
Timeé
Intello

in terms of music grades mean nothing.

Formal teaching is good starting off but you should stop once you get to a stage
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 09:45 PM   #5
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

thats how i did it.. i learned the basic chords with a teacher about 7 years ago who was terrible looking back now.. but i learned what i needed from him and went on my own from there

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 09:49 PM   #6
Timeé
Intello

yeah they always seem crap when you get to the stage where youre better than them it doesnt take long
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 03:18 PM   #7
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

i'm sorry, but maybe you can play technically better, but knowlage of music theory is much harder to have down really well then playing. i took lessons for 8 years and while i stopped learning technically many years back i never quit learning. learning about music has tought me so much i can easily pick up just aobut any instrument and write music for it. i don't see how grades me nothing in terms of music?

formal teaching should only stop if you plan to stop at the stage and not expand yourself. IMO a musician understands music and the theory behind what he or she is playing. there is a difference between playing your gutiar and being a gutiarist and being a musician who plays guitar. when you have a guitarist who only knows pentatonic scales then you have a guitarist who knows all of their modes. id say the first is a guitarist who likes playing guitar... nothing wrong with that, but i think it doesn't deserve the term musician. the second who knows and can play all of their modes would be a musician. i think the term "Musician" is over used and is something that is earned when you know and understand music. not just play it.

the only time formal teaching should stop really is if you are statisfied with just being a mediocer "musician" who plays shows and doesn't want more. there is nothing wrong with just wanting to play and not caring, but i think you should save the term musician for the ones who know their instrument and what is behind it.

i'd NEVER goto college for performing though. that is when the teaching should stop, because if you are a guitarist, bassist, or drummer and aren't looking to do classical things or make money as a studio musician then you are wasting time and money going to school if it is for a degree in performance. because, honestly... no record company gives a darn if you have a degree in performance. they care if you can sell or not and that is it.

to think you out grow lessons though is kind of ignorant. recently this past year my orchestra played with a guy from the national piano assocation, or soemthing like that, who was basically a guy was competing in a music competition that is one of the best around and they guy was 20 something years old and a world class pianist and he still too takes lessons everyonce and awhile. becasue if you don't take lessons and you don't write music that challeges you then you are going to get rusty and so he takes lessons to keep him on top of what ever he is playing, but he doesn't learn much. just keeps his skills sharp.

a musician can play anything even if you don't like it. a musician is someone who is knowlagable and versital when it comes to playing their instrument.
carvinC980t_kid is offline   Reply With Quote