Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 06-16-2004, 01:59 PM   #181
marloes
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sezmo

Probably best to ask Marloes about this one - she's far more knowledgeable about this stuff. Marloes honey? Got any info?

ahem, you seem to now as much as I do [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] But I think it is safe to assume that Prayer Boat as it was is no more. If you listen to Oceanic Feeling and Polichinelle there is already a world of difference between the sound, and I think that was mostly Emmett's decision to change the course. And the gigs he has played in the past 4 years (at least in Holland) have either been solo or with different musicians than the ones on the record (such as the danish jazz musicians you can see on the fabchannel recording) And besides, the new forthcoming cd is going to be a solo record, but I don't think this means it's going to sound drastically different from Polichinelle. End of rant [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
marloes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 02:01 PM   #182
sezmo
Eskimo Regular

Thanks, that's what I thought too. But then I didn't wanna go spreading something that was totally untrue. Phew! [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
sezmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 02:02 PM   #183
cille
creepycute

Quote:
And then the universe! Hope everyone's ready cos here we come!

YEAAAHHH! but first a business meeting...erhm... amsterdam? sure, why not... but soon we'll have to travel together in ireland, y'know, make sure our wee artists are behaving themselves...
Old 06-16-2004, 02:02 PM   #184
Mojo_Pin1980
Eskimo Regular

*awaits PM*

[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2004, 02:03 PM   #185
sezmo
Eskimo Regular

Okay, well I'm already going there at the end of September. And possibly at the end of July as well. Wanna come with?
Old 06-16-2004, 02:03 PM   #186
marloes
Eskimo Regular

Well if we are going to be in business together we have to get our facts straight [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img] Maybe we can ask Angela to be the 4th partner, she can handle business on that side of the ocean [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2004, 02:04 PM   #187
sezmo
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo_Pin1980

*awaits PM*

[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

huh? Already sent it. But nothing in my outbox. What is going on with this site today??? [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]

Another PM on its way to ya momentarily

Old 06-16-2004, 02:06 PM   #188
sezmo
Eskimo Regular

Again nothing in the outbox. Bet you didn't receive that message either then eh? [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

Okay, I've just e-mailed it to ya instead - to the hotmail address in your profile. Hope that works! [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
Edited by: sezmo
Old 06-16-2004, 02:21 PM   #189
Mojo_Pin1980
Eskimo Regular

Got it!![img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]So.. do you prefer txt msgs in English or Dutch?[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2004, 02:23 PM   #190
sezmo
Eskimo Regular

Maakt niet uit. [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]Is your PM inbox full or something? I can PM other people but not you. [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

[edit: can't spell]
Edited by: sezmo
Old 06-16-2004, 02:27 PM   #191
Mojo_Pin1980
Eskimo Regular

Yeah, it was full. I didn't even know that...[img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]

Old 06-16-2004, 02:29 PM   #192
sezmo
Eskimo Regular

[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]I thought I would get something saying it was full. Guess not.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:31 PM   #193
sezmo
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by marloes
Well if we are going to be in business together we have to get our facts straight [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img] Maybe we can ask Angela to be the 4th partner, she can handle business on that side of the ocean [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Yeah, good idea! Then we can be translatlantic right from the get-go. [img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2004, 04:07 PM   #194
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo_Pin1980
The Prayer Boat is no more???

They never broke up officially, but for all practical purposes they broke upyears ago. They didn't find commercial sucess and some started families and with that were no longer available for touring outside of Ireland, though Emmett's brother originally said he'd still be willing to play within Ireland. But he fell by the wayside, too.

That's why Emmett used the Danish and Swedish musicians for a while. They are not "The Prayer Boat" and they no longer play together, now that Emmett is back in Dublin. He used them for his new album, but that album is an Emmett Tinley solo debut.Edited by: Angela
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 04:11 PM   #195
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
... the new forthcoming cd is going to be a solo record, but I don't think this means it's going to sound drastically different from Polichinelle. End of rant [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

No, it's pretty much in the same vein. And it's very beautiful from what I heard.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:13 PM   #196
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, good idea! Then we can be translatlantic right from the get-go. [img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]

What business am I in without knowing? [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2004, 04:19 PM   #197
cille
creepycute

Quote:

Quote:

yeAH, I WAS THINKING OF TEH SAME THING!

HEY ANGE, HOW'D YOU LIKE TO TAKE PART INOBTAINING WORLD DOMINATION? SOUNDS GOOD , DONT IT?[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]Edited by: cillecille
Old 06-16-2004, 04:34 PM   #198
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Emmett up 'da US charts! [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2004, 04:38 PM   #199
Angela
Eskimo Regular

< --- There....I've moved my office! [img]smileys/smiley14.gif[/img]

And I got lovely greetings from Emmett today viaa friend of his [img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2004, 04:55 PM   #200
sezmo
Eskimo Regular

Cool Angela!! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2004, 11:04 PM   #201
cille
creepycute

that's so cool!

i'd be really jealous of you, if you weren't 'one of us'[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2004, 01:05 AM   #202
Loveless
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
If you listen to Oceanic Feeling and Polichinelle there is already a world of difference between the sound, and I think that was mostly Emmett's decision to change the course. And the gigs he has played in the past 4 years (at least in Holland) have either been solo or with different musicians than the ones on the record
The seven year gap between Oceanic Feeling and Polichinelle might have something to do with the sound change aswell [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Officially the last Prayer Boat gig was December 11 1999/2000 in the Paradiso, Amsterdam. Emmett signed a solo deal with Atlantic Records around September 2001. Other events at that time conspired against Emmett's album.

Prayer Boat news
Edited by: Loveless

"To avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, be nothing."
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 01:36 AM   #203
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cillecille
I'd be really jealous of you, if you weren't 'one of us'[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Good think I moved to Yemen, I guees. But shouldn't you rather be jealous of Sarah? [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]I haven't even seen the man yet! [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2004, 01:38 AM   #204
cille
creepycute

hehe, i'd also be jealous of sarah, if she wasnt on the team...

but i really do think, the one im the most jealous of would be ahren, the toy cow who hugged so many great ones![img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2004, 03:26 AM   #205
Angela
Eskimo Regular

[img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]The slut!
Old 06-17-2004, 10:09 AM   #206
marloes
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveless
The seven year gap between Oceanic Feeling and Polichinelle might have something to do with the sound change aswell [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
well duh, I thought that would speak for itself [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2004, 07:17 PM   #207
cille
creepycute

what is 'oceanic feeling' like? better/worse/something in between/hello/good evening?
Old 06-18-2004, 02:02 AM   #208
Loveless
Eskimo Regular

It's a beautiful album to listen to. The full band features more than on Polichinelle. There's great use of instruments, melody, strong lyrics and Emmett's ever soulful voice.

I get a great feeling of optimism when I listen to it. It's very uplifting to me anyway. In Freud's book, "Civilization and its Discontents" he described the 'oceanic feeling' as a sensation of 'eternity,' a feeling of something limitless, unbounded or 'oceanic.' This feeling he believed was the source of religious energy.

"Protest songs and rebirth / Are in and out of fashion / As if fashion created the earth"
- Upside Down

A lot of people have Polichinelle as their favourite album but I seem to gravitate towards Oceanic Feeling more often. Whereas their second release grabs your still-beating heart and throws it to the floor in despair, their debut is like a warm comforting arm around your shoulder.

Oh, and it's impossibly hard to find.

It has some up-tempo songs like 'Stopping The World', 'Don't Make Me Breath You In' and 'Upside Down' and there are some songs like 'Out Of Mind', 'Still Only One' and the epic 'Mercy' that just wander off to a different space and find their way home through some skillful navigation from the helm of the Prayer Boat. The gentle 'Millionaire Hero' and 'Hunger For The Beautiful' join the gaps tripping along on their own good vibes and positivity.

If you're looking for contemporary comparisons you could site the influence maybe of R.E.M. circa Green era, the Blue Nile or closer to home perhaps Van Morrison.

"We walk in Autumn's temple, her church of gold and crystal air, her beauty makes me small, It touches me inside, it touches you inside, I know you feel it too by these invisible lines, that tie me to you"
- Hunger For The Beautiful

"To avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, be nothing."
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 02:05 AM   #209
cille
creepycute

oh wow, thx for that thorough describtion, loveless. now i really want to find that album!
Old 06-18-2004, 02:08 AM   #210
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveless

I get a great feeling of optimism when I listen to it. It's very uplifting to me anyway. In Freud's book, "Civilization and its Discontents" he described the 'oceanic feeling' as a sensation of 'eternity,' a feeling of something limitless, unbounded or 'oceanic.' This feeling he believed was the source of religious energy.

woah, sounds like Sigi was still influenced by Jung when writing that. always wanted to read that book, actually. now i feel i have too - incredibly interesting!