Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

View Poll Results: Music Lessons or No Lessons?
No Training 8 50.00%
Formal Training 8 50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2006, 04:48 PM   #1
purebloom
Eskimo Friend

Default Read Music or Self-taught?

Okay, first off this isn't meant to put anyone down... but I'd like everyone to answer honestly.

I myself am a self-taught musician and pride myself in my abilities. I'm not the greatest guitarist, but I've been playing for 14 years (I'm 21).

Currently, I am taking piano lessons and advancing rapidly because of my somewhat understood but informal knowledge of music. I am finally learning how to actually READ music and am learning theory... both of which I think can only help a self-taught musician.

So, if you only read tabs, or know very little theory or how to read music then vote that you have had "No Training". If you have taken many lessons and can easily sight read to a piece select "Formal Training".

I'd like to see how many musicians we have on here who have had training vs. no training.

And once again, there is nothing wrong with not having training experience... I know there are musicians who have made it big that have never had lessons. However, I truly believe it can only help.

In addition to this poll also feel free to discuss how you feel on the issue.

Last edited by purebloom; 06-23-2006 at 04:51 PM.
purebloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:14 PM   #2
Livo
Eskimo Frames Expert

well i started learning the piano and doing music theory when i was 7 until i was 12, when i gave up. when i was 13 i took up the guitar and pretty much taught myself to play it. i think i find it easier to pick it up from scratch than someone who has no history of musical education. my friend taught herself to play as well and she doesn't understand much about rhythm or tones and semitones and stuff like that. even though i only have a rudimentary understanding of music theory, it's helped me.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:18 PM   #3
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

formal forsure. i'm in 12 grade and am 17years old and have been taking guitar/theory lessons since the 4th grade. i recently quit taking lessons about 5months ago. i quit learning. thought about paying some real high dollar prices for some classical lessons, but then my feelings for music changed.

my original plan was to attend Berklee School of Music as i had already talked to a professor who told me i would have no problems getting into their school. my goal in life from about 5 grade till earlier this year was to attend that music school and become a Doctor in the feilds of musical science(theory) and education so that i could be a college professor and teach somewhere. now things have changed. i came here from a background of "shredding" and progressive metal. i can play all kids of stuff from dream theater, steve vai, jason becker, marty freidman, yngwie malmsteen, all the top guitars/progbands, but yet the constant hearing of other guitarist putting eachother down and talking trash about other peopls playing abilities have killed my passion for that genere of music it. sure i can play guitar really well. i play a steve vai signature 7string guitar, but now it hangs on my wall, because i don't play that type of stuff anymore. immature kids killed my passion, but have cause me to find one i'm much much more happy with! acoustic, folk, soul, funk, jazz, and blues are now my passion. i still play technical songs just because i like to keep my fingers quick enough to be up to the challage if, which always happens, someone says "that kids sucks at guitar... he is full of sh*t" i'm always ready to have a little guitar off. i don't do it to be impressive though. just to put people in their place and make them abit more humble. i get made fun of becasue all i listen to now days is stuff like damien rice and when a kid talking trash sees a "hippie," as some people call me for an insult, pick up an electic guitar and shred. it makes them realize just because you don't play music that is about being flashyoesn't mean there is no skill in that musician or that they don't have the "feel" to play well. i don't want anyone to ever think i'm cocky either! i've learned to be humble, show respect, and enjoy and not onl will you enjoy playing more, but you'll quickly learn where music stands in your heart. if its really what you want and your passion or if its just a hobby you love to do!

i feel lessons a great! self tought isn't bad, but lessons can only make everything better!

oh and on a side note. i teach guitar lessons right now : )

Last edited by carvinC980t_kid; 06-23-2006 at 06:22 PM.
carvinC980t_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:15 PM   #4
Timeé
Intello

in terms of music grades mean nothing.

Formal teaching is good starting off but you should stop once you get to a stage
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:45 PM   #5
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

thats how i did it.. i learned the basic chords with a teacher about 7 years ago who was terrible looking back now.. but i learned what i needed from him and went on my own from there

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:49 PM   #6
Timeé
Intello

yeah they always seem crap when you get to the stage where youre better than them it doesnt take long
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:18 PM   #7
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

i'm sorry, but maybe you can play technically better, but knowlage of music theory is much harder to have down really well then playing. i took lessons for 8 years and while i stopped learning technically many years back i never quit learning. learning about music has tought me so much i can easily pick up just aobut any instrument and write music for it. i don't see how grades me nothing in terms of music?

formal teaching should only stop if you plan to stop at the stage and not expand yourself. IMO a musician understands music and the theory behind what he or she is playing. there is a difference between playing your gutiar and being a gutiarist and being a musician who plays guitar. when you have a guitarist who only knows pentatonic scales then you have a guitarist who knows all of their modes. id say the first is a guitarist who likes playing guitar... nothing wrong with that, but i think it doesn't deserve the term musician. the second who knows and can play all of their modes would be a musician. i think the term "Musician" is over used and is something that is earned when you know and understand music. not just play it.

the only time formal teaching should stop really is if you are statisfied with just being a mediocer "musician" who plays shows and doesn't want more. there is nothing wrong with just wanting to play and not caring, but i think you should save the term musician for the ones who know their instrument and what is behind it.

i'd NEVER goto college for performing though. that is when the teaching should stop, because if you are a guitarist, bassist, or drummer and aren't looking to do classical things or make money as a studio musician then you are wasting time and money going to school if it is for a degree in performance. because, honestly... no record company gives a darn if you have a degree in performance. they care if you can sell or not and that is it.

to think you out grow lessons though is kind of ignorant. recently this past year my orchestra played with a guy from the national piano assocation, or soemthing like that, who was basically a guy was competing in a music competition that is one of the best around and they guy was 20 something years old and a world class pianist and he still too takes lessons everyonce and awhile. becasue if you don't take lessons and you don't write music that challeges you then you are going to get rusty and so he takes lessons to keep him on top of what ever he is playing, but he doesn't learn much. just keeps his skills sharp.

a musician can play anything even if you don't like it. a musician is someone who is knowlagable and versital when it comes to playing their instrument.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:20 PM   #8
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

wow, that was long. doubt it will get read.

one last note. i thought my teacher was amazing at guitar when i was younger, but when i cought up with him i realized he wasn't bad, but wasnt amazing, but that is when we got into the world of theory alot deaper and it really humbled me. showing me its not just about playing ability.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:00 PM   #9
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

There can be far too much emphasis on technical wankery....there's no point in using a stupid-amount-of-notes-per-second (even past the point of people being able to distinguish each note). Songwriting is whats important imo, technical ability is a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. In fact I think you find people are more creative when they have no idea what they're doing...

I've done the whole thing of playing Satriani, Vai, Michael Angelo, Malmsteen etc etc and its largely pointless (though Satriani tends to be a notable exception...sometimes) because the emphasis is on showing off not songwriting.

To think you're better than someone because you know more theory or can play more notes per second is ignorant and pointless. There are players that can say more with a single note than the aforementioned shredders can in an album.
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 10:52 PM   #10
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

well said closing

Quote:
when you have a guitarist who only knows pentatonic scales then you have a guitarist who knows all of their modes. id say the first is a guitarist who likes playing guitar... nothing wrong with that, but i think it doesn't deserve the term musician.
one of my good friends hasnt a clue about music theory.. he plays what feels right and he has written some songs im sure someone who has studied it for years could never write.. ill also add his band have supported some great bands and are currently in talks with labels in the uk - but of course they arent musicians

music is about feeling. not about what you know and what scales are here and there.. far many musicians are caught up on technical ability. I cant stand to hear a guitarist who is playing a song for the sake of technicallity.

Last edited by Gatsby; 06-24-2006 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:18 AM   #11
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

yes, more music less wank please

i was actually formally taught on piano since 8 years old and then violin, flute, etc. so i can read bass, treble and a little bit of C (?) clef cos i took some cello lessons for awhile too.. then picked up guitar on my own at first, took some lessons where i was taught tablature, then a little bit of classical guitar instruction in college (which was a totally different deal altogether)

i used to have perfect pitch when i was a kid and could sight-read and do sight-transposition but i was always jealous of people who could play by ear.. i never really learned how to do that until much later in life.. but even though i had formal training i agree that theory is interesting and opens you up to new ideas but the creative element, the emotional aspect of music, can't be taught and that's where the genius of songwriting lies imo..

i don't really have that ability but i know it and appreciate it when i hear it
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 07:09 AM   #12
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

i think you missed the point. i never said its about how technical the song is. its about knowing what is behing your music. what makes it that way. there is a whole science behind it that takes much more skill then the average player can understand.

i was simply trying get out the point that a musician is someone who really knows their music... not just plays.

you don't have to be good to put strong emotions into your music. listen to ben harper!! he isnt good at guitar!

i think you are very wrong to say that music isn't about technical aspects becasue that is what music is about. those of you who don't think music isn't about playing things different and making it technical or knowing what is behind it truely have NO respect for composers and are a disgrace to the word musician. do you think Bach thought that there was no point to knowing what is behind his music? you guys are right. we don't need to know theory... we only wouldn't have most the amazing classical peices that are famous today... have fun stuck in a rut on the pentatonic scales and being a "musician" because you don't know what music is about. its not just about playing and feel. that is just one aspect of music. and to talk down about a musician who knows about theory and can "shred" just shows you are narrow minded. i challage those of you who don't know about music theory to write a 1 and a half hour long epic that tells a story and has just as much feel.

the problem is those of you who are saying that "you don't need to be technially good and shredding is worthless" are really just narrow minded. those people who are into the types of music like shredding can really feel the music and realize that the person playing has great feel and isn't just playing. you have to realize they are going to think the SAME thing about simple music like damiens.

being able to play by ear is a skill that isnt easy either. soem people can get it naturally, but i would put a thousand dollars that those of you posting who saying "you don't have to be technically good to be a musician" to come and prove that. sit down and listen to a technical peice that takes musician ship and learn it by ear. then come and tell me music theory is worthless. know music theory makes figuring out songs by ear soo much easier. i've been trained well and have transcribe bethoveens 5th 1st violin part to guitar along with the song Night on Bald Mountain 1st violin part onto guitar. you tell me you don't have to know music to do things like that then you aren't a musician.

if you don't belive in theory you are a musician. you are a guitars, drummer, bassist, or whatever instrument you play. because a musician would be embarressed to have that word taken and used by someone who can just play. just becasue you don't like technical playing like vai or becker or petrucci doesn't mean they don't have feel. its a different type of feel that others who aren't into that style can't understand and its just like that for those who don't like more mellow music.

point to make.

a musician would't say you dont need knowlage, becasue a musician should know and understand what they are doing or atleast do their best to understand. a REAL musician is open enough to know about other styles of music and that its all subject to opinion on the style when it comes to feel.
be open minded. not close minded. be a guitarist and play with lost of feel. or be a musician and realize that music is not only beautiful on the outside, but on the inside too.

oh yeah. and tell phish, or widesperad panic, or anyother jam band that can actually play that you don't need to be good at your instrument to play. you just have to have feel. i bet their 10mins long jams would sound GREAT after listening to a whole album with one type of scale.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:10 AM   #13
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

holy sh*t that was long, but people who don't know about music and then try to talk down about musicians are just stupid and a disgrace to the world of music. its people like that that killed my passion to make a living as a music teacher. for years i wanted to be a college professor untill i got sick of stupid kids saying all you have to do is play to be a "musician" which is complete bs. you think paganini wrote all of his amazing violin peices without knowing about music? he wrote some of the most beautiful and yet the hardest peices around. its a shame what people think it takes to be a true musician
Old 06-25-2006, 07:15 AM   #14
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

sistermidnight

yes, cellos play the C clef but they also play the bass clef often too.

treble clef is also know as G clef

bass clef is also know as F clef
Old 06-25-2006, 01:04 PM   #15
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

carvin, i disagree that people without theory knowlege can't write as complex music. And it's absolute bollocks to sugest that players without trained knowlege are un able to improvise out of set scales. Music theory is a shortcut to what can be learn't through time and familiarity with your instrument. That's all. People who don't know theory, and play their instruments with allot of commitment, will gain such a good relationship with it, that they know what everything will sound like before they play it. It's like speach patterns; speach is learnt through experience. You can be illiterate yet learn a high level of english through simply doing it and hearing other people speak.

You cease having to go through everyword you know, and contemplate the gramatical context to express your feelings. And it's the same with well practised musicians. In their minds, they know what they want to express and they just play the notes which express that, in their own private accent, in their own dialect, and their own level of elequency.

After all, the kind of people like that^, are the ones who studied their instincts to tell the rest of the world about what has no become excepted theory and musical grammar.

And believe it or not, dispite the musical theory involved, some of the greatest musicians and composers of all time themselves grew to discard many of the rules of theory that they had been taught, to further the shape of music and accomodate their own vision. And they too played by ear.

And who cares how hard it is to shred! so long as it's done in a way that sounds good!

I've not answered the poll, cos i don't have a straight answer. I was taught saxaphone, but eventually i broke away and played it my own way. I can read music but i can't site read, i think it's to do with my dyspraxia; i can't multitask reading + playing. i just practised pieces til i knew them, and then played. and in jazz band songs, i just improvised a part for myself.

Guitar, i am completely self taught.

and i'm hoping to start singing lessons next year, because i feel i need help in getting to know my voice.

Feel without theory can be heartwrenching but can also be verry under developed in sound. Theory without feel can be impressive. But it'd be more of a science or a craft than an art.

Feel musicians oftern need to learn theory through instinct. to be able to express what they feel in an understood way. And Theoretical musicians need to learn to express themselves through the music and stretch the rules that they are bound to.

EDIT: You should check out the gypsy music of eatern europe, and jazz, and bluesmen of the world, and find out how many of them can read music or have had a music lesson. You just get surrounded by music by birth and you learn it like speach, it's just another way talking.

Last edited by PenguinBoy; 06-25-2006 at 01:10 PM.
PenguinBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:53 PM   #16
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvinC980t_kid
the problem is those of you who are saying that "you don't need to be technially good and shredding is worthless" are really just narrow minded. those people who are into the types of music like shredding can really feel the music and realize that the person playing has great feel and isn't just playing. you have to realize they are going to think the SAME thing about simple music like damiens.
Narrow minded my arse. Please don't make sweeping generalisations about people you don't know...I have one of the most random music collections, from Mendelssohn to Metallica, I'm not snobbish about what I listen to. And even if I didn't it wouldn't neccesarily mean I was being close-minded.

I can't remember the last time I heard a song where "shredding" was justified but thats besides the point. Some of those kind of players do put a great amount of emotion into their music. Others (Vai being a prominent culprit imo) play like robots.

I'm probably the best guitarist out of the musicians I know, or at least up there. I don't particulary get a kick outta that because like I've already said: any technique is merely a tool to be used in sculpting a song...a means to an end. I'd most likely be more proficient than Damien but not a chance in hell could I write a "Professor" or "Insane".

Using your logic the best music on the planet today should be being written by the single greatest musician. (Now we could argue all day about who that is so I'll just pick an example, say Petrucci) He's written some good music but I wouldn't rate him as one of the greatest in terms of emotive songwriting. You might (I don't know) but most people seem to prefer music which isn't neccesarily as technically complex but might have more emotional depth. Someone like Damien Rice mar shampla

Quote:
you don't have to be good to put strong emotions into your music. listen to ben harper!! he isnt good at guitar!
It sickens and saddens me that you're equating simplicity with being a bad musician. It would appear you're the one being narrow-minded.

-- Simon Armitage
Old 06-26-2006, 01:20 AM   #17
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

i'm now way shape or form narrow minded.. i love ben harper. i own every one of his cds. I just think he isn't good at guitar. he doesn't play well, but he does enough to get the point across. I NEVER said simplicty sucks. why the hell would damien rice be my favorite singer/songwriter? but those of you who say "some of the greatest composers broke out of theroy and expanded and ignored theory" don't know what they are talking about. you say you don't have to understand an instrument and what is behind it to be able to write a peice that uses everything from stringed instruments to wood winds to brass sections give me an example of an amazing composer who broke away from theroy and broke what theory is about? if you say people play a peice with out a key. its called atonal. there is something to justify everything in music. most of the famous composers we know of were gifted to easily understand music. they could listen and naturally know well this is this and that is that, which is how they could write such great peices. they just understood how it worked. doesn't mean you HAVE to have traning, but you cannot argue you do't have to understand it to write great peices. mendelson was mentioned and i've played peices by him that last 30minutes and goes between 5 different keys. know if you are gunna tell me he just picked notes that sounded good and that is all he had to do... how the hell could he ever write out the music and get everything to match. its NOT easy being able to write a peice for a french horn to go along with viola. it takes knowlage to be able to transcribe peices.

i already said you don't have to have knowlage to be a great player, but part of being MUSICIAN is knowing your intrustment. that is what sets the two apart. and real musician would understand the importance of what is behind music. to call me narrow minded and then say via has no feel and is just a robot is retarded. have you ever watched him play? if you watch him and say he has no emotions/feel is being a robot then there is no help for you

There is absoulty no excuse or reason to say that theory is worthless or stupid and doesn't do anything. I'm honestly surprised that someone who says they "are the best player out of everyone they know" would actually say that. well, you are right... you are the best PLAYER. not MUSICIAN. without thought being put into what is behind music we wouldn't have much. the ones who DID care set the path for everyone else to be lazy and posers.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:34 AM   #18
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

penguinboy
yes i get what you are saying and when you said that "And Theoretical musicians need to learn to express themselves through the music and stretch the rules that they are bound to." you have to remember that these people who step into the world of musical science already have the feel and passion that makes them sound well. they are opining their mind and understanding what is behind that feel they have.

Music is an art. feel is a major part of that art. its like a painter. they paint their emotions alot of the times, but when you take someone who can just paint naturally and show them new techniques to paint and new styles its like taking a musician with feel and showing them theory and how to take what they have and know what they are doing and can do to make it better!

on a side not. i hate john petrucci and dream theater. i played bass in a band that played a whole dream theater album once. the guitarist could play guitar better the petrucci and has gotten a full ride scholar ship to berklee school of music. some say he plays like a robot and i can see why, but if you knew the passion and heart behind the music you wouldn't say he is just playing like a robot. you'd be watching his mouth moves as he is singing along everything he is playing! watching the, usually funny, faces he makes as he wails out an intense sweeping solo where he breaks into tap sweeping. if you say he has no feel then you just don't get music.

to be honest. i think those who think theory is worthless just don't get it and that is why they say that. i never thought it was worth my time and i hated learning it, but then i realized that it made me a real musician. not just another kid playing guitar well. i'd put my money on that if those of you who say it isn't need learned what us who actually care about what makes our music sound great then you would learn to love and realize how great and important. if i didn't know as much as i do i wouldn't be able to pick up and cello and start sight reading it.

the truth is being a musician is covering ALL aspects of music. not JUST playing or JUST theory. its both. lack of theory is why everyone is sounds the same when the play melodies and solo's on all their songs.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:29 AM   #19
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Nobody said theory was useless. Nobody said technique was useless. But you only need as much of it as you need to fully express yourself. Technical ability is a tool to be used.

Kurt Cobain wasn't the world's greatest guitarist by a long margin...but he knew enough to express what he wanted and because of him how many million more musicians & guitarists are there?

Quote:
I NEVER said simplicty sucks. why the hell would damien rice be my favorite singer/songwriter?
You called Ben Harper a bad guitarist because he is a simple guitarist. Ignoring whether you like his songs or not, that is what you said.

Quote:
but those of you who say "some of the greatest composers broke out of theroy and expanded and ignored theory" don't know what they are talking about.
We don't know what we're talking about? I see...using your logic music would never have evolved to where it is today.

Quote:
i already said you don't have to have knowlage to be a great player, but part of being MUSICIAN is knowing your intrustment. that is what sets the two apart. and real musician would understand the importance of what is behind music. to call me narrow minded and then say via has no feel and is just a robot is retarded. have you ever watched him play? if you watch him and say he has no emotions/feel is being a robot then there is no help for you
I'll assume you meant to type Vai there...yes I've seen him play both on DVD and in the flesh. Worst concert I've ever been to (and bear in mind I once brought 3 screaming girls to see a certain Westlife). His playing was vacuous at best.

Also if you read my post I said that he played like a robot not that he was one. He may even be a nice guy, I don't know.

I'm not sure why you think there's "no help for me"...again seems a narrow minded thing to say. If you can find something in Vai's music, good for you but as for me...well as Thom Yorke once described it, it's just buzzing like a fridge.

Quote:
I'm honestly surprised that someone who says they "are the best player out of everyone they know" would actually say that. well, you are right... you are the best PLAYER. not MUSICIAN. without thought being put into what is behind music we wouldn't have much. the ones who DID care set the path for everyone else to be lazy and posers.
I have plenty of knowledge of musical theory, thank you very much. I just don't look down on people that don't. You've created this distinction in your head...I'm not sure why, maybe as an ego boost...who says you need amazing knowledge of theory to know whats going on "behind music" anyway?

And when you talk about knowing about whats behind music...why stop at theory, why not the physics behind the instruments. The constructive and destructive interference that allow us to tune our instruments accurately? Nodes and the physics behind harmonics? Do you honestly believe we need that too?

-- Simon Armitage
Old 06-26-2006, 11:39 AM   #20
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

i find it hillarious you call others narrow minded when you are the one who cant take others opinions on music on board and resort to petty insults of generalising people you dont know and calling what they say retarded

open your ears and try to respect others opinions instead of your own

ill choose to ignore you from now on if you cant debate

Last edited by Gatsby; 06-26-2006 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:15 PM   #21
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

for the ben harper thing. i never said i don't like his music because it is simple. i just think he isn't good at guitar. please don't make things up saying i said this when its not there.

nodes, overtones, all the good stuff. been covered. i find it ver intresting. if you don't then that is ok, but you cna't say it isn't needed.

the point is. if you don't wanna know theory then ok. if you do you are opening up into a whole different world of music that others are missing out on. You can't argue that theory is pointless or that the greatest composers didn't use it.

to each his own. if you don't like it. that is cool. if you do that is cool too. i don't think less of a person who doesn't like theory, but i do think you shouldn't refer to yourself as a true musician if you don't know all the aspects of your instrument.

sorry if i offended anyone or pissed off anyone. to each his own.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:17 AM   #22
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
sistermidnight

yes, cellos play the C clef but they also play the bass clef often too.

treble clef is also know as G clef

bass clef is also know as F clef
yes i know that...
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:32 AM   #23
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
the point is. if you don't wanna know theory then ok. if you do you are opening up into a whole different world of music that others are missing out on. You can't argue that theory is pointless or that the greatest composers didn't use it.

but i do think you shouldn't refer to yourself as a true musician if you don't know all the aspects of your instrument.

sorry if i offended anyone or pissed off anyone. to each his own.
i dont think anybody was arguing that theory is pointless.. yes of course some of the greatest works of art came from people who knew how to compose music and put into plan musical theory
do you read what others say?

i was defending the statement that anyone who doesnt know music theory isnt a musician.. i think being a musician is about feeling music and emotion through your music. thats where the term musician actually comes from.. someone who plays music, not someone who knows every scale there is...

anyways each to their own so stop insulting others opinions

Old 06-27-2006, 04:41 AM   #24
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
yes i know that...
u just said "i think" so i was just helping ya out...
well it was a "?" but same thing

Last edited by carvinC980t_kid; 06-27-2006 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:20 PM   #25
purebloom
Eskimo Friend

Wow, I wasn't expecting such response.

I don't think one should ever stop learning, whoever posted the thing about the world class pianist still taking lessons... I agree with this, it only helps you stay sharp and challenges you. You never want to stop learning about music and theory can only help. That being said, simply because you are self-taught doesn't mean you can't be a great musician... but I think understanding music can only make you a better musician.

I've made music that I think is good, but do I understand it? No, not really. I'm not saying that music is always meant to be understood, or their is some formula. What I am saying is that there are aspects of music that CAN be understood and IMO can help you to make better music.

Understanding music and what makes this chord sound good followed by that chord only make a musician that much more adept at improvisation.

So, personally I feel I've reached my peak at being self-taught and getting a better grasp on theory will help me progress as a musician.

However, there are some musicians who really know very little theory and play what they feel and they make beautiful music... I'm not saying they are any less of a musician... what I am saying is that I don't believe they fully understand where their music could be if they learned more about their craft.

Just my opinion.... to each their own.
purebloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 07:18 PM   #26
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Quote:
for the ben harper thing. i never said i don't like his music because it is simple. i just think he isn't good at guitar. please don't make things up saying i said this when its not there.
Please read what I actually wrote. When you do I'll reply properly...

-- Simon Armitage
Old 06-27-2006, 08:47 PM   #27
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

you quoted me and then replyed with this "You called Ben Harper a bad guitarist because he is a simple guitarist. Ignoring whether you like his songs or not, that is what you said."

read what you wrote yourself.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:13 PM   #28
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

*Bangs head off wall*

Never mind...

-- Simon Armitage
Old 06-30-2006, 12:33 AM   #29
Mankman
You Crazy Diamond

I think all the technical theory can expand ones underlying knowledge of the guitar. This helps some guitarists, but other guitarists dont feel the need to. I would like to say im the latter, but im just plain lazy.
Mankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:55 AM   #30
Emelie
I drank a lavalamp...

I got taught how to read notes at school when we were forced to play the flute ^^ After that I taught myself how to play the piano.. I've only leard small things at school, like some chords on guitar but then I've learned them myself.. I must have some sort of fallability for music, because I really annoy my friend, who has a guitar, when I outplay him without even training first or owning a guitar of my own ^^
I'd really like to take some piano lessons though, because I don't think I can play half as good as I could...
Emelie is offline   Reply With Quote