Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 12-12-2005, 11:57 PM   #1
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Default Australia... what the hell happened??

I've always had a good opinion of Australia and Australians... sunshine, beaches... happy, carefree, adventurous people...

But after seeing pictures of the race-riots in Sydney... well... my opinion has sunk... it's sickening. For the crowd to be so large and so blatent makes me wonder if I had the whold country wrong.

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:12 AM   #2
gordonbrownaok
Eskimo Friend

paris had race riots, do you find the whole country of France to be out of order?

Dont believe everyting in the media, they're hardly likely to do a newsflash of the majority of the coutry being law abiding and excepting.
gordonbrownaok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:21 AM   #3
cneill
eskimo hobo

Well, if you hold a monolithic opinion encompassing all Australians, or a view of Australians that strips them of the basic human nature present in all people under the sun, then I'd say you got something wrong...no offence by the way. I could go on and on about nationalistic stereotyping, or just broad generalising, as could many of us, but I'm sure we'd all rather be spared the soapbox rant.

Here are some news links:
http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/as....ap/index.html
http://www.forbes.com/business/feeds...ap2386144.html
photography!: http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=1820624
cneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 01:02 AM   #4
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

ah go ahead and rant chris, jasonavo always does

you said what i was thinking. it's too simplistic to paint an entire country or culture as shiney happy people or on the flip side, violent racist monsters. race relations are so complex... everyone has the potential in them... any race or culture is capable of it... to react violently out of fear and succumb to the mob mentality... it comes down to self-preservation and sometimes people can feel like their back is against that wall and then years (or centuries) of mistrust, misunderstanding and hatred bubble to the surface and explode.

but broad sweeping generalizations are the root of that problem, whether they're aimed at another race or gender or religion or country or whatever...
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 01:48 AM   #5
cneill
eskimo hobo

But apparently Wheels is not alone in his (her?) thinking. This quote is from the Forbes article linked to above: "What we have seen yesterday is something I thought I would never see in Australia," Community Relations Commission chairman Stepan Kerkyasharian told Sky News.

Maybe Stepan Kerkyasharian didn't see last year's February riot in Sydney over the death of an Aboriginal boy. That was less than two years ago in the same city. I guess it's not exactly the same though. Anyway, here's a link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3491299.stm

Last edited by cneill; 12-13-2005 at 01:55 AM.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:13 AM   #6
auhsor
Friend of Eskimos

I'm not very proud of my fellow countrymen although I havn't really been following the news all that much. I'm not sure what side is at fault (most likey it's both) but violence isn't really the answer. Just people know, most aussies arn't like this.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:52 AM   #7
cneill
eskimo hobo

Don't worry auhsor, I'm sure most clear-thinking people don't think most Aussies are that way. Just because Australia is the home of that weird vegemite stuff, it doesn't mean you're all nuts (well, perhaps a good argument could be made based on vegemite)

Last edited by cneill; 12-13-2005 at 05:56 AM.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:04 AM   #8
auhsor
Friend of Eskimos

Well we may be the home of Vegemite, but it was bought by an American company a while ago, so I guess that's kinda changed now. Oh and Vegemite is actually wuite nice, just don't spread it too thick or you'll probably be sick.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:17 AM   #9
Libby
Eskimo Regular

You are right Wheels, it is sickening.
I couldn't believe my eyes when I watched the news on television.

Having lived in Sydney for a couple of years I spent loads of time at Maroubra and Cronulla, and was shocked to see that such terrible things have happened there.
During my time in Australia I never saw any racism- it is a melting pot of cultures and a wonderful place to live.

I just pray that this disgusting behaviour from, what I saw to be, young, drunk kids with brains the size of peas, stops as soon as possible.

My thoughts are with all the innocent people who have been hurt during the riots.
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:47 PM   #10
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

To be clear, I was not suggesting that all Australians are racist. I was just saying that I always had an idilic view of Australia, which has now been shattered.

What I found most shocking was that these did not seem to be the usual small, organised gangs of neo-nazi thugs... it looked to be normal young people... and it looked as if many joined in spontaneously... these things combined with them all being so open and blatent (I saw noone hiding their faces) suggest to me that the anti-immigrant feelings are far more widespread.

Old 12-13-2005, 07:47 PM   #11
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneill
Wheels is not alone in his (her?) thinking.

Sorry, just had to lighten it up with that. That's what you get for being such an enigma.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:12 PM   #12
cneill
eskimo hobo

well i'm pretty sure Wheels is a guy, but i didn't want to make an ass of myself in case i was wrong
Old 12-13-2005, 10:13 PM   #13
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

VAL!!

Old 12-13-2005, 11:19 PM   #14
misty
Malaysian Eskimo

My sister is now in Sydney since last Sunday for business trip. Can any of my Aussie-Eskimofriends tell me how exactly things are going in Sydney? please,please,please, my mom worries so much
misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 11:58 PM   #15
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels
VAL!!
Damn You! You'd better be careful, or I'll start telling your secrets!
Old 12-14-2005, 05:32 AM   #16
BIG TIM
Polar bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty
My sister is now in Sydney since last Sunday for business trip. Can any of my Aussie-Eskimofriends tell me how exactly things are going in Sydney? please,please,please, my mom worries so much
Misty,

I can assure you that your sister is fine, yes things have gotten out of hand over in sydney but I have family over there also and its as simple as it is everywhere else. If your looking for trouble you'll find it but if you want to carry on with your life as normal its very easy to do....

The media have a way of blowing things out of proportion and give a very one sided opinion of what is going on. I have heard stories of some of things that have happened to young kids being hospitalised by a family of lebonese people who did not want anyone else to use a park...
Old 12-14-2005, 08:07 AM   #17
misty
Malaysian Eskimo

^thanx
Old 12-14-2005, 08:37 AM   #18
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Misty, is there no way to contact her (mobile, normal telephone) to see if she's alright?
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:37 AM   #19
Uno- X
Eskimo CSI

What the **** indeed. I have a Ukrainian mate whose relatives live in Sydney; they've been living there since the World War II. During those riots somebody threw a brick through their window, burned down the ukrainian flag which they always had hanging in front of the house and wrote some 'rude comments' on their fence.

Think there's too much sun in Oz, their brain has dried.

Uno- X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 10:40 AM   #20
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG TIM
I have heard stories of some of things that have happened to young kids being hospitalised by a family of lebonese people who did not want anyone else to use a park...
I wouldn't believe stories that come out at a time like this... people behind the scenes can start all sorts of rumours to incite people. I'm not saying it is untrue (or true) just that rumours cannot be trusted either.

As for the media, I didn't base my shock on what they said... just on the pictures they showed. I know they show the most dramatic shots, but the crowd was large, and all too happy to be seen there.

Old 12-14-2005, 01:33 PM   #21
Banjaxed
Eskimo Regular

I came across a lot of racism during my time in Oz. Of course it wasn't from everyone, but I saw a lot more racism there than I've seen in Ireland.

Australians are very proud of their nationality. I think some of them don't like to be reminded of the fact that they only recently arrived on the continent (~ 200 years ago). Perhaps what those people don't like about foreigners is actually something that they don't want to be reminded of in themselves.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:36 PM   #22
BIG TIM
Polar bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels
I wouldn't believe stories that come out at a time like this... people behind the scenes can start all sorts of rumours to incite people. I'm not saying it is untrue (or true) just that rumours cannot be trusted either.

As for the media, I didn't base my shock on what they said... just on the pictures they showed. I know they show the most dramatic shots, but the crowd was large, and all too happy to be seen there.
Hey Wheels,
That's an interesting point about rumours being started, I understand where your coming from I just think when it comes to rumours and what have you, that the media are the number one for inciting people and in a lot of cases they have a lot to answer for especially when the view they give is very one sided. I think it'd be very different if the media chose to publish a story similar to the ones that I have heard

I'd like to make it clear as well that in no way do i condone violence in anyway I think that the riots are horrible and it is dissappointing that some stupid people are seen as the representatives of an issue that will no doubt be lost in the kaos that has been caused.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:54 PM   #23
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

I certainly don't defend the media... they used to want to be the first to get to the truth... now they just want to be the first to report... they don't care if what they report is bull...

You often see the media report a plan crash, only for it to turn out to be a drill for the emergency services....

Old 12-15-2005, 01:30 AM   #24
misty
Malaysian Eskimo

Quote:
Originally posted by Hendrik Misty, is there no way to contact her (mobile, normal telephone) to see if she's alright?
Finally! got through her mobile today. She said things are going on fine,nothing much to worry about.Have just asked her to buy me any Damien Rice singles if she happened to stumble into any, and she told me how expensive things are in Sidney. Ironically, she won't mind got her money spent to get me a boomerang. My God, a boomerang?
Old 12-15-2005, 09:36 AM   #25
lotty
Eskimo Friend

[quote=Wheels]To be clear, I was not suggesting that all Australians are racist. I was just saying that I always had an idilic view of Australia, which has now been shattered.

I live in Australia and am disgusted by what i've seen. The media suggests that the problem in cronulla has been brewing for years and I'm of the view it has probably been hightened by whats going on in Iraq.. a them v's us mentality.

Needless to say, most the people involved are young people, albeit passionate about their beliefs and causes but it doesn't justify a father being stabbed on his front lawn whilst attempting to put out the garbage and in full view of his 10 year old son who is probably scared for life.

However, i have seen recent news coverage of Islamic leaders and leaders in the general community attempting to restore calm and both groups meeting with a view of stopping any further riots. This whole affair began by text message! and has gathered momentum over the past few weeks. Childish in my view.

Most Australians are laid back and peaceful people and we do live in a multi cultural society, its our way of life. I wouldn't say racism is an every day prob...its definately here. You only need to look at the history of Australia and wonder why it is that there are still Aboriginal communities who live beneath the poverty line in a rich country as we are and thats not aired on the news every night. But its happening.

I'm not for that kind of behaviour but I wonder what I'd do if put in a position where I'm walking along a beach and a group of thugs begin pounding someone I know or love.. do I let it happen or would I throw in a few myself?... I probably would in an attempt to protect the person I was with.. without it being anything other than that. No cause, no religon, just loyality. I'm sure there are a majority of loyal friends of all backgrounds standing up for their 'mates' without it being anything to do with where your roots are.

This world we live in, particularily in the last five years or so, has me deeply concerned.. and mainly for whats shown in the media. But i fear people i never did before and I hate feeling that way. Makes me want to move away, far away and out of the city. It makes me sick when we are threatened by other nations. It makes me sick that our P.M. will not pull out our troops b/c the longer we stay, the more we will pay! It makes me sick that I fear catching public transport. And I mainly fear what its doing to the Islamic people who now call Australia home. How do they stand up against it all when its all they've ever known? We are not right in their eyes and I'm not suggesting we are... but how do they turn their backs on their own beliefs and views and think like the rest of the western world? I don't expect them to.. and thats what we're seeing on the beaches of cronulla.

I just hope it all stops and soon and I pray to God that nothing like that happens in Melbourne.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:03 PM   #26
cneill
eskimo hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotty
This world we live in, particularily in the last five years or so, has me deeply concerned...
just on a side note...Yes, it is disconcerting, but think how people must have felt during/following the world wars. If you really think about it, it must have seemed like the human race was coming to an end. Talk about a concerning time! I don't think what's happening today is anything really fundamentally new in the human experience. But maybe that attitude promotes apathy and indifference, traits at which we humans tend to excel, and doesn't help any cause for improvement...just rambling...
Old 12-16-2005, 12:05 AM   #27
lotty
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneill
just on a side note...Yes, it is disconcerting, but think how people must have felt during/following the world wars. If you really think about it, it must have seemed like the human race was coming to an end. Talk about a concerning time! I don't think what's happening today is anything really fundamentally new in the human experience. But maybe that attitude promotes apathy and indifference, traits at which we humans tend to excel, and doesn't help any cause for improvement...just rambling...

True, I probably didn't look it that way and probably b/c the other wars never affected me b/c i wasn't born.

I heard on the radio this morning, that apparently a group of Melburnians are arranging to travel to NSW this weekend and the police know this... This is all happening and getting people involved in other states via text message.. B/c of this intelligence, the police know about it and are trying to prevent any further rioting. I'll let you know more, if more happens.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:16 AM   #28
reborn_enoch
Reborn Eskimo

Meanwhile, over on politicaldebate.com .....
reborn_enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:36 PM   #29
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

presedenté in denial i see

"I do not accept that there is underlying racism in this country"

it seems like fargo syndrome to me. shoving the ur problems underground will give them somewhere to grow.

racism, prejudice etc etc, is everywhere, and it's complicated. it's easy to be disgusted and to tell people not to be racist. But it's harder when you live in a different situation.

it's a strange world...