Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 09-22-2014, 07:55 PM   #1
DesoleInBoston
Eskimo Regular

Default What is Damien's camera policy?

Hey there,
I've had terrible luck trying to take my Nikon D90 with a modest little portrait lens into venues lately in Boston. Glen Hansard didn't even allow iPhone photos when he was here last year. Does anyone have an idea what to expect at the Warsaw or the Box shows in New York? Does Damien usually have a camera policy? I'm a photographer by trade so I feel naked without one...thanks for any info!
DesoleInBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:13 PM   #2
glo32
Eskimo Regular

Just turn off the flash... He used to get annoyed by cameras, especially flashes... I remember in 2006-2007 he did a lot of speeches against camera at concerts. Sometimes he was like "put your cameras down and just enjoy the moment". He once turned his back on the crowd while singing, because of too many flashes. It's not that cameras weren't allowed but of course you knew he didn't like them.
Then in 2012 he seemed more relaxed at gigs and you could say he didn't mind that much... and after a show he said something like "I used to take a lot of photos when I was young and then I realized it was stupid and that living the moment is a better memory than looking at photos, and after that I started getting angry at people that took photos or watched a concert through a camera because they weren't really enjoying the moment, for me. But now I realize everyone has his way of enjoying a moment or to set it into memory, and now I don't mind cameras anymore. If I think that cameras are the problem, that's because I'm not into the song in that moment... because if I am into the song and into what I'm doing, I don't even see cameras anymore"

so I think he still doesn't like cameras flashing into his eyes when he's on stage but he won't get that annoyed by it anymore.
Anyway, most venues or promoters have their own camera policy so if you're thinking about going to a gig with your Nikon I suggest you ask them first... Glen Hansard never prohibited photos at the gigs I went to so I think it could have been the venue's policy in that case...
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:31 PM   #3
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i remember when he did the mini-tour in south america + mexico, he got so annoyed in chile that he invited to join the stage for volcano song only those who didn´t take any picture... i mean, that´s what he said out loud.

i don´t think it would be an official ban, but if there is, we will be noticed for sure.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:39 PM   #4
dawno
just mildly free

Many venues won't allow in cameras with detachable lenses, but don't have problems with a point and shoot.

That said, when I went to Glen Hansard's secret show at the Living Room in NYC, someone was just off to the side filming the entire show with a very nice DSLR sitting on a tripod.
dawno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:15 PM   #5
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

There is an iphone app called "Kimd" which is designed for taking photos at concerts. It dims the screen and shuts off the flash, so that you're not disturbing people as much. It's free... might be worth a download.

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:50 AM   #6
signalfire
Eskimo Regular

I've never been to Warsaw or The Box, but pretty much every New York gig I've been to has been non-professional camera only with the understanding that flash should be off. I really wouldn't risk a DSLR. I did have a point and shoot during Other Voices NYC and didn't have any trouble photographing the whole show, Damien included.
signalfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:02 AM   #7
DesoleInBoston
Eskimo Regular

This is all great information. I'm so glad I asked. I might try to pick up one of those tiny lenses you can add to an iPhone and use with the app mentioned above. Thanks so much!
DesoleInBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:41 PM   #8
shakas
Eskimo Baby

I picture him as the type to berate you for using one and chuck it against the wall if he can get his hands on it.
shakas is offline   Reply With Quote