The Professor
Eskimo
Accidental Babies [Damien on piano]
I Remember [with Bang Bang (Sinatra) jam; Vyv on piano]
Cannonball [no amplification]

Encore:
Unplayed Piano [Damien on piano; with Aung San Suu Kyi video]
Blower's Daughter
Cheers Darlin' [Damien telling the story and singing over recorded music; he walked partially up the balcony]

It was our tenth show, actually. A sold out show at Radio City.

Entertaining, to say the least. I still am shocked that Radio City sold out but it certainly was packed with people taking their seats throughout the night between songs, holding their drinks with those glowing swizzle sticks. I thought the sound was almost perfect from our seats on the floor, almost to the point of being a bit loud at certain instances. Damien was very talkative, telling stories for The Professor, Accidental Babies, and I Remember. The precussion jam out of Coconut Skins was interesting and I enjoyed the energy; I heard Woman Like a Man growing from Damien's guitar, and he could have segued perfectly into the song, but he slowed it down a bit cautiously to make sure that everyone was on board.

I first noticed some nice contributions by Joel in Rootless Tree; I had to struggle a few times to hear his playing, but when I did, I thought it blended quite nicely. Especially when he was on electric. Eskimo could have been jammed out a bit longer, while I thought that Accidental Babies was the best that I had heard, jamming and building and dropping down to a piano ending. And as usual, the I Remember went to some interesting places; with a nod to New York, it included a jam on Sinatra's Bang Bang that featured Vyv on piano. When the crowd needed to be, they were silent for the unamped Cannonball closer.

The most touching song of the night had to be the Unplayed Piano encore, which raised goosebumps on my arms to be honest. Quite beautiful, accompanied by the video behind the band. We had read that he was closing with Cheers Darlin', so I wasn't surprised when they came out with a table and chairs (they might have been able to end with Blower's Daughter, to be honest). The Cheers featured the story, and then Damien "singing" over recorded music. At one point, he stumbled half-way up the side balcony, followed by the spotlight, still holding his wine glass. As he walked to the back of the stage, to the light of dawn, he paused next to a lampost and made to fumble with his fly . . .

The first yells of "Where's Lisa?" happened after Delicate. A few songs later, a few more shouts echoed down from the balcony and Damien had to take his ear monitor out to hear what everyone was yelling. He explained that she was in Ireland, working on an album, "where she should be." He talked about the fact that she had been singing with him for so long, and that there was never time to do her own thing between tours. So she is doing it now. I will say, though, that her absence was palpable. Not that it necessarily detracted from the music, but you could notice. Damien had to sing both parts in some songs, he skipped a line in The Professor, and there was just something missing with I Remember. He was trying to compensate, and is doing an ok job, but he hasn't fully recovered just yet.

Finally, I wanted to mention that his stage show is getting larger each time we see him, and I quite enjoyed the lights. They were synched well with the music, and the effect of the "snow" from the disco balls during Eskimo was perfect for Radio City, flakes dancing around the shell-like deco ceiling.

Certainly worth it. But it also left me wanting for more; thankfully, he will be back in September . . .

Last edited by jwelsh8; 05-22-2007 at 12:41 PM.
jwelsh8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:55 AM   #2
yummyintummy32
Eskimo Friend

tonight was amazing!
yummyintummy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:57 AM   #3
yummyintummy32
Eskimo Friend

by the way, did he really piss on the back of the stage at the end?
yummyintummy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:33 AM   #4
dancingantsy
Eskimo Baby

Just got home and WOW!
I don't know what else to say, your review is dead on.

Ahhhh i gotta get some sleep....
dancingantsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:33 AM   #5
dancingantsy
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummyintummy32
by the way, did he really piss on the back of the stage at the end?
i don't think so but i bet they weren't happy with him lighting that cig, haha
Old 05-22-2007, 06:16 AM   #6
jmacal
Eskimo Baby

A great show indeed. I do admit there was something a bit off but great still. His 9 crimes opening was the best IMO. You could hear the raw emotion literally probably cause it was solo. Good stories as usual. Never heard "the wank test" story before...haha.

Anybody see any celebs in the audience? I'm pretty sure I saw edward burns.
jmacal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:17 AM   #7
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

What was the wank test story? Just curious...
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:54 AM   #8
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Here is the CORRECT SETLIST with greater detail as well:

01 - 9 Crimes [Damien Solo on piano]
02 - Older Chests [Damien and Vyv]
03 - Volcano
[Damien on piano to start, guitar after 1st verse
Vyv on cello throughout
Tomo came out and played the mini-kit from the first chrous through the 2nd chorus then switched to the big kit
Shane and Joel came out and joined in when Tomo switched to the big kit]
04 - (Volcano) -> Me, My Yoke, and I [Damien on Electric]
05 - Delicate
06 - Coconut Skins [aborted so Damien could tune]
Coconut Skins ->
[During the jam Joel played the mini-kit again and Shane and Vyv drummed on something I wasn't able to see]
07 - Woman Like a Man
08 - Rootless Tree [piano]
09 - Never Leave You [Vyv, Shane, Joel, and two people I couldn't ID, not Damien or Tomo]
10 - The Professor -> La Fille Danse
11 - Eskimo
12 - Accidental Babies
13 - I Remember (Bang Bang) [Vyv played piano during the interpolation]
14 - Cannonball (Everyone unplugged, shane on an upright bass)

15 - Unplayed Piano
16 - Blower's Daughter
17 - Cheers Darlin' [Only damien on stage, he sang into his IEM mic and no instruments were played by anyone, just the background track]

( ) indicates a partial song.

Notes: I'll talk to Jonathon in Philly and/or DC and try to figure out what Shane and Vyv drum on during Coconut Skins, and who the other two guys are. I'm assuming one is Jeff who played on some stuff in December, but the other guy I believe is new to the crew.

Volcano ended, about 25 seconds elapsed, Damien switched guitars, then he started playing it again, sang a bit, and segued into M, MY, and I. It was odd.

The tape should come out well, listened to parts in the car coming home, needs work (as always) but seems promising.

Last edited by mario_d; 05-22-2007 at 06:58 AM.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:09 AM   #9
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

Thanks for the recaps everyone!

I can't even imagine seeing him at Radio City (that place is massive, isn't it?!)

Volcano segueing into Me My Yoke & I? Well that's one I haven't heard before
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:40 PM   #10
jwelsh8
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d
Here is the CORRECT SETLIST with greater detail as well:

<snip>

I'll talk to Jonathon in Philly and/or DC and try to figure out what Shane and Vyv drum on during Coconut Skins, and who the other two guys are.
Sorry for forgetting Older Chests, lol. I wrote it in my book; I just missed typing it last night at 11:30. I didn't think it warrented the ALL CAPS, but I appreciate the correction.

There were two sets of even smaller drums between Vyv and the small kit that Joel played. Snares, timbales maybe? Shane was on one, Vyv was on the other. And honestly, from where I sat, there was only one guy who came out and played on the Rhodes twice. Really short hair. I may have missed a second, but I don't think so . . .

And Volcano, Damien was on the Rhodes/keyboard, not the piano.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:42 PM   #11
dawno
just mildly free

Quote:
Originally Posted by srahman24
Thanks for the recaps everyone!

I can't even imagine seeing him at Radio City (that place is massive, isn't it?!)
Indeed, it is decidedly a large venue, capacity of circa 6,000 I believe. He pulled it off beautifully... 5 songs into the show I realised that my fears of disappointment due to no Lisa were utterly unfounded. The sound was fantastic (at least on the floor). During Cannonball, I almost wished I were in the upper balcony just to know what the entirely unplugged version of sounded like up there.

Incredible night... can't wait until Philly this Thursday!
dawno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:07 PM   #12
cmigliaccio
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by srahman24

Radio City holds about 6000, so I'm not toally shocked he sold out, since he sold out two nights at the Beacon, which holds about 3000.

Great show. 4th time seeing him, and it may have been the best.

Loved the lighting that was set up to look like candles. When Damien was on piano and it was just the candles and a spot light on him... perfect mood.

This was a very loud performance, and I liked it. I hadn't seen a full show with Joel (he only played on four songs or so at Central Park last year) and I think he leant a very nice fullness to the sound when the band joined in.

Does Damien make up his song stories? He told a story about a bag girl before I Remember which I swear doesn't fit with one I heard him tell last year.

Can't wait to see him again at ACL Fest.

PS Love the purple elephant shirts they're selling on this tour.
cmigliaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:09 PM   #13
cmigliaccio
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawno
Indeed, it is decidedly a large venue, capacity of circa 6,000 I believe. He pulled it off beautifully... 5 songs into the show I realised that my fears of disappointment due to no Lisa were utterly unfounded. The sound was fantastic (at least on the floor). During Cannonball, I almost wished I were in the upper balcony just to know what the entirely unplugged version of sounded like up there.

Incredible night... can't wait until Philly this Thursday!
I was in the 2nd Mezz (ticket buying screwup) and the sound was excellent. And Cannonball sounded great up there. Hard to describe - the softness of it made it more moving somehow.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:02 PM   #14
Topspin047
tennis pro

Wow, a double volcano...i'm pretty much jealous.

question: did he drink/smoke during cheers darlin'?

Ahh I can't wait for philly..= )
Old 05-22-2007, 02:20 PM   #15
dawno
just mildly free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin047
Wow, a double volcano...i'm pretty much jealous.

question: did he drink/smoke during cheers darlin'?

Ahh I can't wait for philly..= )
yes, he drank and 'pretended' to smoke during cheers darlin', flicking his lighter a few times to 'light' his cigarette..... then, at the very end, after he'd 'relieved' himself on the lamppost at the back of the stage, he actually lit up.... wonder if he was fined for doing so ...
Old 05-22-2007, 02:26 PM   #16
Topspin047
tennis pro

Quote:
yes, he drank and 'pretended' to smoke during cheers darlin', flicking his lighter a few times to 'light' his cigarette..... then, at the very end, after he'd 'relieved' himself on the lamppost at the back of the stage, he actually lit up.... wonder if he was fined for doing so ...
hahahaha, no way. that's insane.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:41 PM   #17
dancingantsy
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Yeah i bet security wasn't happy about that, it was a great way to end the night. And to hear him say Bitch as he walked off...lol

BTW: Did anyone go to Obriens? I was there for a bit but not knowing anyone i left...was just curious
Old 05-22-2007, 02:53 PM   #18
jwelsh8
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
wonder if he was fined for doing so ...
If it is part of a performance, aren't people allowed to smoke on stage? I am almost positive actors still smoke on Broadway if need be . . . I may be wrong, though.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:57 PM   #19
jmacal
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
What was the wank test story? Just curious...

I think he was explaining it as part of the backstory to the professor and how he was a "scientist" as a young man. If him or his buddies saw a girl they fancied they would go to the bathroom, wank off and come out to see if the girl still did anything for them.

I believe that was how he explained it but the crowd was making a lot of noise so I don't wanna say I'm totally right.
jmacal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:23 PM   #20
jwelsh8
Eskimo Friend

I should also add that I really liked Damien's acoustic guitar playing last night. It seemed a bit more intricate to me, to be honest. Especially during the I Remember/Bang, Bang jam. With Vyv plinking in the piano and Joel adding some texture, I really liked the melody that Damien was playing around with before heading back into I Remember . . .
Old 05-22-2007, 03:49 PM   #21
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwelsh8
Sorry for forgetting Older Chests, lol. I wrote it in my book; I just missed typing it last night at 11:30. I didn't think it warrented the ALL CAPS, but I appreciate the correction.

There were two sets of even smaller drums between Vyv and the small kit that Joel played. Snares, timbales maybe? Shane was on one, Vyv was on the other. And honestly, from where I sat, there was only one guy who came out and played on the Rhodes twice. Really short hair. I may have missed a second, but I don't think so . . .

And Volcano, Damien was on the Rhodes/keyboard, not the piano.
I wasn't yelling at you so much as trying to grab people's attention when they open the thread because I didn't know if you'd be back to edit the first post.

I was sitting fourth row by the stack on Tomo's side, and his kit was blocking my view of the middle-back of the stage. It sounded like a rhodes, but I wasn't sure and couldn't see it, figured I'd sort that out Thursday. Thanks, though, for filling me in. How long have they been putting both pianos on stage? They had both in December, but not at the same time.

I'm pretty sure Tomo did not play Never Leave You, someone else did. There were definitely two tech guys on stage during the night, and the only two they used to tour with were Jonathon (forever) and Jeff (starting in LA and Hiro in November). I don't know who the third is. Also, not sure who the waiter during Cheers was, whether that's a random guy, or the other techie I don't recognize, or what.

Security was ridiculous last night. I had no problem getting gear in, and the taper actually was accidentally in the wrong seat (we were DD, so we sat in the 4th row, not realizing there's no AA in our section) and an usher made him get up and move and never said anything about the battery box and MD in his hands. But they bithced me out mercilessly for talking to Jonathon 5 minutes after the show ended. Literally, dude was yelling at me to leave while we were talking right behind the soundboard, it was retarded.

Last edited by mario_d; 05-22-2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:51 PM   #22
jwelsh8
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
I wasn't yelling at you so much as trying to grab people's attention when they open the thread because I didn't know if you'd be back to edit the first post.
No worries.

Quote:
How long have they been putting both pianos on stage? They had both in December, but not at the same time.
Not sure. I know Damien talked about having to use the keyboard at the Hiro show due to the stage size, but I can't remember the first night at The Beacon.

Quote:
Also, not sure who the waiter during Cheers was, whether that's a random guy, or the other techie I don't recognize, or what.
There is a video of Cheers Darlin' floating around from Minneapolis, I think, and that same guy was the waiter. Not sure who he is, though.

Quote:
never said anything about the battery box and MD in his hands.
So, did you tape to MiniDisc as well, Mario? Or do you run a DAT deck? And once it is tracked out, will you offer a Torrent? (bt or Dime?) Just want to make sure I catch it. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:04 PM   #23
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

The guy who physically taped is my buddy who I came up with. We were planning to use a DAT deck, but I used it saturday night to tape Matt Nathanson, and had problems with it, it's now refusing to load, so we fell back upon using an MD. The two of us are going to the shows this week together, and one of us will be taping each night. And they will be released, I'll let you guys know when. Probably a couple weeks because he does the conversion and is going out of town Saturday morning.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:07 PM   #24
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmigliaccio
Radio City holds about 6000, so I'm not toally shocked he sold out, since he sold out two nights at the Beacon, which holds about 3000.
Yes, but you have to assume that back in 2004, a lot of people went to both shows. 3,000 + 3,000 doesn't necessarily equal 6,000. I wonder if there were empty seats. I know that he's sold out the DC show but there are TONS of people trying to unload thier tickets at or below face value on craigslist. Same thing happened last summer on the Fiona tour. People bought up tickets thinking they could scalp them and make a profit and had to eat the cost in the end.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:49 AM   #25
mr. boland
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingantsy

BTW: Did anyone go to Obriens? I was there for a bit but not knowing anyone i left...was just curious
yeah, there were a few of us at Obriens. i got there around 4:30 or so. the bulk of us all met up around 6:30.. then left about 7:45. definitely a good time.. not sure how you missed us.
mr. boland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:00 AM   #26
cmigliaccio
Eskimo Regular

I was in the 2nd Mezz and didn't see any empty seats - maybe there were a few in the top level, but it looked pretty packed.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:47 AM   #27
FlexCabana
Damn Handsome

he played amazing but i saw him both times at the beacon and enjoyed the beacon more than his performance at radio city.
FlexCabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:04 PM   #28
dawno
just mildly free

MSG, the cable channel, apparently runs a 1/2 hour long sports news show called "MSG, NY" a few times in the morning... flipping through channels this morning my husband left said channel tuned while we grabbed coffee in the kitchen. The strains of 9 Crimes began emanating from the other room and we were treated to brief footage of Damo at RCMH. At the end of the show, they showed another clip, this time of Volcano. In total, it was perhaps 45 seconds of video. It's now 8:00 a.m. and I believe the show repeats every half hour until 10:00 a.m. or so.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:47 PM   #29
FireDancer79
The Girl That Does Yoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexCabana
he played amazing but i saw him both times at the beacon and enjoyed the beacon more than his performance at radio city.
I agree. Though I loved the RCMH show, the Beacon was better in my experience...

Cheers!

Last edited by FireDancer79; 05-24-2007 at 03:51 AM.
FireDancer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:46 AM   #30
Lady
Eskimo Friend

Smile

[quote=jwelsh8]No worries.

"There is a video of Cheers Darlin' floating around from Minneapolis, I think, and that same guy was the waiter. Not sure who he is, though."

so , i wasn't there, but if your mystery man is the same as the waiter (long hair, loads of tatts?) then it is the lovely Duncan. guitar tech, been with them for ages. a diamond.

Last edited by Lady; 05-24-2007 at 12:47 AM. Reason: dunno how this qoute thing works and why it isn't in a nice blue bubble
Lady is offline   Reply With Quote