Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 09-24-2014, 12:31 AM   #91
signalfire
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cremallero View Post
You think they'll be sending those who pre-ordered it a link to download the single?
I found it right in my email when I got home. Very nice since I was at work and couldn't listen to the stream. I'm not totally sold on the strings with those keyboards, but that was just my first listen. That's about the only complaint I have. I don't love it, but I certainly like it and feel like it'll grow on me.
signalfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:55 AM   #92
read
Eskimo Baby

I wasn't sold so much on first listen, but it's certainly growing on me. There's genuine emotion in there, and some of the strings are heartachingly beautiful. I'm sure it will be great live!
read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:05 AM   #93
RenataAQP
Eskimo Regular

I love it! I've had it on repeat .
The emotion on his voice is heartbreaking.
I cannot wait to hear it live!
Old 09-24-2014, 02:27 AM   #94
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

Hi! New poster, but I've been a fan of Damien and Eskimo Friends for years. I agree about the overproduction of this and faded fantasy. The lyrics are amazing (even with some of the awkward phrasings). The raw, organic Damien is so much better than the processed one. Can't wait for the bare bones versions during his shows!
InspirationDestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:34 AM   #95
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

but he sings "angel" or "manger"?

Last edited by borneoman; 09-24-2014 at 08:43 AM.
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:59 AM   #96
carrroline
person

No, it's definitely 'manger', not 'angel'
If it was angel, I'd have to agree with the james blunt comment

Last edited by carrroline; 09-24-2014 at 08:02 AM.
carrroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:35 AM   #97
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

actually Iīd never heard the word "manger" before... according to thesaurus it means:
1. crib, Moses basket
2. depression, gutter, channel

guess itīs the 2nd definition
Old 09-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #98
Accidental Baby
Eskimo Regular

Ok, so I've listened to the song for about a thousand times now. It has grown on me a little, but some parts are just a bit cringeworthy to me. Lyrically. Especially the opening lines and the manger/danger/stranger/change ya. Not his best effort.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:55 AM   #99
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

If he intended for the 2nd definition of manger, it elevates it. But, I do agree that the 3 rhymes together is awkward.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #100
shane_b
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva_arg View Post
does anyone else fear the album is going to sound too overproduced? I suppose that's what happens when you hire a known producer.
Anyway, really looking forward to these new songs, I think they will sound better live. To be fair that happens with a lot of bands and artists for me.
100% agree there, O there was more emphasis on raw emotive vocals. The new tracks seem to be more about a 'clean' structured sound that hides the vocals within the other melodies. I like the tracks, they are just not what I was expecting.

I love in O that you can hear creaks and cracks and background noise, it makes it 'Delicate' for want of a better word.

As a music technology student, too many people feel that getting rid of breaths, creaks, background noise et al will make the record better, in fact i believe it takes away what makes a record special and not sound like an off the shelf generic song.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:23 PM   #101
carrroline
person

I think he wanted to do an album with a positive vibe, without any anger/spite/obsession/... So far he succeeded.
(Hopefully because he moved passed these feelings)

But without these emotions, the songs lose a bit of depth imho. They don't have that truly honest, confessional feel. Without these raw uncensored emotions, the songs just aren't as powerful and addictive to me.
They are very well made though. And I'm sure they'll sound much less 'poppy' live.
I just might have to go elsewhere when I'm looking for something dark and depressing.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #102
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I disagree, I think the vocals in both songs are 100% raw and emotional. And donīt think theyīre over-produced either. The Animals were Gone are Amie are 1000 times more overproduced than these ones... Just because in a song there are cracks and background noise doesīt make it more emotional, itīs the feeling in singing, and actually I think thereīs more feeling in MFFF than in any of the old songs. I think you should all go and google "over-produced" to know what it means... donīt think these songs are over-produced at all. The fact that a song has been properly recorded doesīt mean itīs overproduced, it means, itīs well-recorded, well-produced, not the same as overproduced, I feral think MFFF is Damien at its rawest

EDIT: check this, with which I agree 100%

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/colum...even_mean.html
Old 09-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #103
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

ID, It's anything but awkward. The manner in which he allows such complex imagery to unfold so elegantly is among the most skillful he's given us.

For clarity's sake the line is "Out among the danger, somewhere in a stranger's eye I just came across a manger." But that would have been extremely clunky and unpoetic.

By merely shifting the syntax, he accomplishes a great deal by way of: 1) guided emphasis 2) dramatic tension 3) overall flow 4) suspense building 5) symmetrical balance 6) the necessary separation of ideas and 7) a satisfaction of resolution.

Born, neither definition is meant. Rather, as I mentioned above to Mario, it is used in the metaphorical sense: Jesus was born in the stable following a long and arduous desert trek by his parents who were then turned away from shelter by the cruel and judgmental. In her eye he glimpses his salvation. Could just as easily substitute the word "oasis" but that wouldn't have the added effect of the Biblical weight.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #104
Abso
Eskimo Friend

Simple song, simple melody, all the power of this song stands in the way Damien sings it, I'm sure I wouldn't have noticed it if done by another "common" voice but I really appreciate all his range of emotions in this song...God the more I listen to it and the more I discover parts of him I haven't heard yet, can't wait to have it live, no doubt it would be a piece of beauty. My gutts sing but my heart's crucified, I could equally smile or cry on this one. I agree with borneoman, I d'ont hear overproduced voice, I feel emotion all the way, it's not obvious rage or deep pain as in previous songs/albums it's something so much more complex and subtile but at the end I think it moves me more. There's definitely a change in his way to tell stories, something lighter, more spiritual that shines from his lyrics and singing, it pushes me more toward elevation than depression what feels really really good!
Abso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:48 PM   #105
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

Spamlet, I think it's just the rhymes together that sounds awkward to me. The meaning is profound, though, and beautiful in context. I'm not a linguist, poet, or lyricist, so I definitely could do no better. And, I don't want to change him.

I love the beginning instrumentation with the lilts and all. It has a bit of an Asian feel.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:27 PM   #106
damien lisa
am i breaking u

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspirationDestination View Post
Spamlet, I think it's just the rhymes together that sounds awkward to me. The meaning is profound, though, and beautiful in context. I'm not a linguist, poet, or lyricist, so I definitely could do no better. And, I don't want to change him.

I love the beginning instrumentation with the lilts and all. It has a bit of an Asian feel.
there's no such thing is asian feel
Old 09-24-2014, 06:39 PM   #107
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien lisa View Post
there's no such thing is asian feel
Well sure there is, although this one felt more of a laid back, sexy, smooth Mediterranean vibe to me.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:58 PM   #108
Joyful
Eskimama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Baby View Post
Ok, so I've listened to the song for about a thousand times now. It has grown on me a little, but some parts are just a bit cringeworthy to me. Lyrically. Especially the opening lines and the manger/danger/stranger/change ya. Not his best effort.
I like the song overall. But yes, the manger/danger/stranger/ change ya thing is cringeworthy every time I hear it. He could do better with the lyrics.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:36 PM   #109
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

2/2
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:59 AM   #110
Falling At Your Feet
Eskimo Friend

Has anyone heard if this single is getting a physical release on cd & vinyl ??
Falling At Your Feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:59 AM   #111
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

I looove this song more every time I listen to it, despite the stranger danger in the manger. But, I also love accidental babies (it's one of my favorites), except for the "accidental babies" part. I can't wait to hear it live!
Old 09-25-2014, 12:01 PM   #112
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I Donīt Want to Change You #86 on US Itunes right now!!
Old 09-25-2014, 01:31 PM   #113
Voxi
Eskimo Baby

Hello
This is my first post (not including the one introducing myself) and I decided that it will be about this song.
First of all, I'm happy that subscription works and I was so thrilled when I received the link for the song via my e-mail. I murdered repeat on soundcloud and later on YouTube. Second thing, I LOVE that lyrics aren't "i just came across an ANGEL" because that is so vomiting I don't like when people are compared with angels so I was: WTF Damien!
Lyrics are so simple unlike music.. It brings me some kind of peaceful state of mind even though I can equalize with lyrics cuz I'm in that situation right now. That kind of simplicity isn't much of his style but maybe it is from now Like I'm saying repeatedly: 8 years have passed, he changed. It's good because during this years it's great to follow his path as musician. "O" will always be his special album.. but this one is special too because it's like dedication to that years.
Looking forward for the new album.

Last edited by Voxi; 09-25-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Voxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:20 AM   #114
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
I looove this song more every time I listen to it, despite the stranger danger in the manger. But, I also love accidental babies (it's one of my favorites), except for the "accidental babies" part. I can't wait to hear it live!
I know you're just having fun with it and if that were the actual phrase you'd have every right. This will be my last defense of those lyrics and I hope it will make you appreciate them a bit more. Some people have mentioned the fact that it's a triple rhyme but what they haven't seemed to realize is the way the song is structured it's actually part of a larger pattern which both musically and lyrically helps tell the story.

The chorus begins "I don't want to change you/ I don't want to change you/ I don't want to change your mind." Each time the word change is repeated it is essentially an anti-rhyme of itself and the same sounds (if not notes) are sung to echo it, even going so far as to diminish in volume. So he's reinforcing the belief that nothing will "change" and that his sentiment is sincere.

However, the second half then breaks the pattern by changing the word "change" itself yet keeping the same number of times it's sung and the same basic melody intact. If it wasn't already apparent from the rest of the lyrics, it's another way of letting us know that the narrator of this song isn't fully telling the truth. Of course he wants to change her mind. He wants her to be in love with him.

The phrase "Accidental Babies" is a whole other level of genius. It simultaneously manages to serve as witty joke and tragic fate depending on the interpretation of which of the members of the love triange the "one of us" refers to. Since I believe it's actually all 3, it's all the more heartbreaking.

Last edited by Spamlet; 09-26-2014 at 05:24 AM.
Spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:18 PM   #115
Accidental Baby
Eskimo Regular

For all it's supposed genius I still find it annoying to listen to.

Last edited by Accidental Baby; 09-26-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Accidental Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:12 AM
carrroline
This message has been deleted by carrroline.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #116
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

Spamlet, I appreciate your analysis more than the lyrics. Your musical analysis of intonation and the like is beyond my grasp. I'm more comfortable with the lyricism of the words because I've heard the song thousands of times now.

But, the psychology of what he says is more my forte. The words are actually infuriating because the excuse of finding comfort in a stranger's "eyes" is just common and negates the allegiance he professes. And, as an adult to think love is just "for fun," especially as time passes in the course of a life, is naive and doomed for sure! It also gets a bit cruel and dismissive. It makes him more unlikable than I want him to be.

I hope it has mass appeal, but sometimes it's phrasing that could stop a song from blowing up. Other than Christmas carols, it's odd to hear mention of a manger. As much as I would like to keep him for the few of us that have been loyal for years, I think that's what he's going for (even though he struggles with it).

Last edited by InspirationDestination; 09-28-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:02 PM   #117
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:

But, the psychology of what he says is my forte. The words are actually infuriating because the excuse of finding comfort in a stranger's "eyes" is just common and negates the allegiance he professes. And, as an adult to think love is just "for fun," especially as time passes in the course of a life, is naive and doomed for sure! It makes him more unlikable than I want him to be.
Except that it's far more than mere comfort. The eyes are our windows to the soul and in hers he sees divine purity. By evoking the Christ child, he is describing actual deliverance ("where there is no danger") and salvation ("where love has eyes, it is not blind"). His life is saved, he is reborn and she has the power to heal. Anything but commonplace.

As for the "fun" part. It's not about frivolity or a flippancy. You've taken it so out of context to the point where the meaning has been completely lost. The full thought is:

"I've never been with anyone/ in the way I've been with you/ but if love is not for fun/ then it's doomed/ 'cause water races/water races down/ the water falls/ water races/ water races down/ the waterfall".

In addition to the unwavering devotion of the verses, these first two lines re-establish that seriousness. This relationship is unlike anything he's ever had. Although part of that is because it's one-sided since she is afraid to take the chance with him. So he acknowledges that it will never work if they are not willing to ride the roller coaster, to bravely navigate the raging rapids. To survive the ups and downs and terrifying twists. To risk going on the adventure of a life spent together.

He's not saying "just" (and doesn't use that word in the song). The "for" might as well have been "also".

The deepest love must consist of an equal balance of loyalty and joy. Who could ever convincingly argue that the two sides of that coin aren't both essential for true and lasting shared happiness?

Last edited by Spamlet; 09-28-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:18 PM   #118
carrroline
person

Does anyone else have the feeling that there's something wrong with the teaser videos?
In IDWTCY it looks like he isn't actually standing on the little pier.
The perspective is wrong. The pier seems to be rather short, but when he walks away from the camera, he gets a lot smaller quickly, as if he were standing a lot further.

In MFFF it looks like the village behind him is just a picture on a screen. There's no movement in it at all.

But I could be wrong... It's just this feeling I have...
Old 09-30-2014, 08:12 PM   #119
glo32
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrroline View Post
Does anyone else have the feeling that there's something wrong with the teaser videos?
In IDWTCY it looks like he isn't actually standing on the little pier.
The perspective is wrong. The pier seems to be rather short, but when he walks away from the camera, he gets a lot smaller quickly, as if he were standing a lot further.

In MFFF it looks like the village behind him is just a picture on a screen. There's no movement in it at all.

But I could be wrong... It's just this feeling I have...
I see something moving in the MFFF video, actually. There's a person moving on the right at the beginning, and a flag behind Damo throughout the whole video...

The Change You vid looks real as well to me.
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:46 PM   #120
DesoleInBoston
Eskimo Regular

The I Don't Want to Change You Video: I think the filmmaker used an editing effect of dropping frames from a sequence; it makes it looks like the film is sped up when he walks backwards. Also it seems to have been shot with a Digital SLR, giving it a shallow depth of field which collapses the perspective a bit.

MFFF looks real to me. Is it Greece?
DesoleInBoston is offline   Reply With Quote