Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 12-15-2006, 09:36 PM   #61
Lophashea
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyb
anyways... stickin to my guns - twas an amazing show...

for those who were there and did enjoy it and have been checking youtube for the latest here's another:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icf5jdsjqXI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvve4sZZrPo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zus1D0OJWUg
I know your not trashing me and I dont want to sound like I'm trying to knock anyone down by saying this show sucked but if you put up these great videos and show highlights people cant get a feel for the show. All these songs were great but I wish you could all watch that terrible jam. You would understand where me and some of the others that thought the show was bad are coming from!
Lophashea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:39 PM   #62
coreyb
eskiphotographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lophashea
I know your not trashing me and I dont want to sound like I'm trying to knock anyone down by saying this show sucked but if you put up these great videos and show highlights people cant get a feel for the show. All these songs were great but I wish you could all watch that terrible jam. You would understand where me and some of the others that thought the show was bad are coming from!
dude... i was there... not knockin you... chill... i had seen damien before and this show was stand up quality... you have your opinions and that's fine... no one is right here... it's all a matter of perspective... i had seen him so i knew what to expect and loved every second of that jam... i'm a musician too so i hear every note, every hammer, every cymbal touch, every palm-mute... no worries dude! relax all that haters of the show... like what you like - don't like what you don't like... it's alllllllllllllllll good
coreyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:53 PM   #63
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
.. i had seen him so i knew what to expect...
Eh....I think you are not the only one who's "seen Damien before and knows what to expect".

Expectation isn't the issue. This was the fifth time I've seen Damien in Boston and in my opinion it was the weakest of those five shows for a variety of reasons.

We are all fans of Damien's here. In all due respect, I don't see a need to be dismissive of those who felt something was missing that night (including the music journos) or to put yourself on a pedestal because you are a musician, like the rest of us have no ears.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:12 AM   #64
Timeé
Intello

i dont think corey was trying to boast here. was he not just trying to say that he had seen him before and was enthralled and so knew that he could be just as good that night?!

.... ^ that comment puts him on a pedestal he wasnt already on.
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:16 AM   #65
tylerm
Eskimo Baby

I just wanted to register and say that I was at this show and it was great. Some people don't seem to have liked the end of Amie so much, but it was really my favorite part of the show, and I'm so glad Damien does unique things with songs that he can't on the albums. The story he told before it, the dark theater and star lights, and the jam all made that part of the show so beautiful.

And daveydave, I hope you do get a recording up. I would love to hear the show again.
tylerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:32 AM   #66
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeé
i dont think corey was trying to boast here. was he not just trying to say that he had seen him before and was enthralled and so knew that he could be just as good that night?!
When Corey says: "...i had seen him so i knew what to expect and loved every second of that jam..." it sounds to me like "the rest of us" didn't know what to expect. Am I missing something?

I don't want to make a big thing out of it, btw. I just had to get that off my chest. I guess the whole thread sort of bothered me.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:08 AM   #67
poe11371
Lost Eskimo

Cool The fabled Amie Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino
Hey there, just wondering what exactly was the story everyone keeps mentioning about "Amie?" Please tell...
(edited out all the um's ah's and such, it was a lot to keep up with)

*Vyv finished playing "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots"*
so, ah, speaking of robots, and machines ....

I don't know it if it's, ah, because people get disillusioned when they allow themselves to get kind of carried over with'ah bit too much emotion, or whether it's when you allow yourself to get carried over with so much emotion that you actually start opening your eyes and you start seeing things differently to other people.
Not sure which way it works, but, ah ...
There was a moment where I remember just, kind of, actually I don't really remember but I have this vague recollection of being sort of, God, so surprising, I was down, imagine that?
And I, hardly ever happens, but, this particular occasion I remember just calling over to a friend's house, and they let me stay in their room.
And got me excited for a while, they were female ya know, very good friends, and I thought "a bit of comfort for the night." *inaudible*. lovely.
But they were planning on staying in their little sister's room, so and I didn't know whether if that was an invitation to join them and their little sister.
I didn't take them up on it, but we were sitting in the room anyway, she sat on the side of the bed for a while, she said "look, I've got a great big window".
She was one of these people who could eat crap, just crisps and sweets. No, not that crisps are crap, but just eat loads of what you call junk food and always be healthy and full of energy. At the time I was a health freak, on my vegetarian nuff(?) diet and I was always sick, ya'know, it's just so ironic.
And, and she had this very positive way of looking at the world she said "just lie in my bed there and spend the evening looking at the stars until you fall asleep and if you find yourself down just pick one of the stars and focus on it and ask it to give you a sign or something" and I was like "yeah, yeah, right, sure."
So instead as she went out the the door I decided to have a wank. Did I just say that?
And I was fine for a while.
Then I resorted to the stars, so I looked up and I picked one, and I was just kind of bleary eyed and could not keep my focus so I just picked a whole gang of them and said "You guys, just give us a sign will 'ya?"
Right in that moment there was a shooting star.
And it's amazing when it's all coincidence and everything and in that moment.
I was all like "digg", it's like "woah" so i decided to get a little bit cocky with the stars ya'know and ask for for a little bit more.
So I looked up and said "Dudes, [editorial note: hearing Damien saying "Dudes" is like hearing Carlton from Fresh Prince saying "Homie"] very good, very good, that was like a kiss on the cheek, give us a real sign, ya'know."
This is the bit that I can't really remember and this is the bit where I don't know whether, I do remember it, but I don't know if I was crazy.
For I saw something and I don't know what it was [editorial note: say what?]
Things move and *inaudible*
And then this song came out if it ...
*then plays Amie -> Sex Change -> Eskimo*

Side note ... why does this thread seem so bitter and divided? We are all fans and we all have opinions (which are like a**holes - we all have one and we think ours don't stink), not all of our personal feelings about the show and such are going to be the same as everyone else's and we do not need to keep trying to get the last word in, if not convince the other(s) that we are right ... so as Conan would say "be cool my babies"

that is all ... for now
poe11371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 07:44 AM   #68
MertWindu
Horrible Timing Eskimo

Ain't nobody's wrong, the jam was definitely different. But this was my first DR show, and while it took me a minute or two to really get into the jams (and I'm very much NOT a jam-band type of fella), I did, and really started to enjoy them. I think with a live show, you have to just sit back and enjoy what the artist is giving you. Not a lot of people can say they heard the death metal blower's daughter live, and the Amie that was played was certainly unique. I'm truly not trying to be flip when I agree with the folks who make the point that if you want to hear the album version of a song, listen to the album. The beauty of a live show is that you're watching a very organic and living thing. Was Amie a bit long? Yes. Did it probably put some people off who may otherwise have liked Damien a lot more? Sure. But it was what it was. It was the choice Damo made, and unfortunately for those who didn't enjoy it, when you purchase a ticket, that's what you're paying for. As long as the artist doesn't show up too drunk to play or decide to make the entire show a Spinal Tap jazz odyssey, you've got to just enjoy what you're getting. That's how I look at it.

And what a wonderful show. I didn't know what to expect, but I certainly wasn't disappointed. Oh, and on youtube is the following video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmS5sSKxZjw

From what I can gather, I was inside that very same 7-11 mere minutes before the video was taken. Hence my Eskimo name.
MertWindu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:10 AM   #69
peterj
eskimo friend

yeah thats me in that video!!!!! ^^^^^ im the guy in the winter jacket on the right with lisa
peterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 02:36 PM   #70
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela
When Corey says: "...i had seen him so i knew what to expect and loved every second of that jam..." it sounds to me like "the rest of us" didn't know what to expect. Am I missing something?
i just think when he says "i had seen him" he means that "i was one of the ones who had seen him before".

its like having an experience and when you are going to have it again is it not alright to say "i had that before so i know what to expect" ?

nice background to amie. im guessing that "moving" thing was the spaceship in amie? great song.
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:16 PM   #71
MertWindu
Horrible Timing Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterj
yeah thats me in that video!!!!! ^^^^^ im the guy in the winter jacket on the right with lisa
Alright, then I gotta ask, though it'll only add to my frustration... when exactly did this all go down? Show ended at about 10:50, I'd say I was in the 7-11 by 11:05, and must have left by 11:10.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:28 PM   #72
coreyb
eskiphotographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela
Eh....I think you are not the only one who's "seen Damien before and knows what to expect".

Expectation isn't the issue. This was the fifth time I've seen Damien in Boston and in my opinion it was the weakest of those five shows for a variety of reasons.

We are all fans of Damien's here. In all due respect, I don't see a need to be dismissive of those who felt something was missing that night (including the music journos) or to put yourself on a pedestal because you are a musician, like the rest of us have no ears.
dear lord... please relax... i am not putting myself on a pedastal because i'm a musician and hear things in a different way... it's like being race car driver and being in tune to how a car really handles... perhaps a poor example but it's the first one i thought of... haha... i wasn't being dismissive of anyone who thought the show wasn't quality... i was posting youtube links for anyone who actually wanted to see them and this pissed someone off because they thought they youtube videos weren't a good representation of the evening's performance...

argh... now i am starting to remember why i stopped coming to message boards for a while... bummer...
Old 12-16-2006, 06:30 PM   #73
coreyb
eskiphotographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeé
i just think when he says "i had seen him" he means that "i was one of the ones who had seen him before".

its like having an experience and when you are going to have it again is it not alright to say "i had that before so i know what to expect" ?
cheers Timeé... someone trying to keep the peace... i love it...
Old 12-16-2006, 08:32 PM   #74
peterj
eskimo friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MertWindu
Alright, then I gotta ask, though it'll only add to my frustration... when exactly did this all go down? Show ended at about 10:50, I'd say I was in the 7-11 by 11:05, and must have left by 11:10.
yeah it actually happened quite a while after that. we waited around for a while and we didnt end up hanging out with lisa until well after 12 and then i brought up the bright idea of going christmas caroling because we were talking about her version of silent night so i asked her if she wanted to go christmas caroling and she did. probably the best thing thats ever happened to me haha great night.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:21 PM   #75
MertWindu
Horrible Timing Eskimo

Alright, I feel a little better then. I had to catch a subway and get myself to Western (and I mean WESTERN) Mass., so waiting around until midnight wouldn't have been terribly smart of me. Still wish I'd done it, of course. How much "caroling" did you do with Lisa?
Old 12-17-2006, 12:41 AM   #76
peterj
eskimo friend

Quote:
Alright, I feel a little better then. I had to catch a subway and get myself to Western (and I mean WESTERN) Mass., so waiting around until midnight wouldn't have been terribly smart of me. Still wish I'd done it, of course. How much "caroling" did you do with Lisa?
yeah i had to come back to western mass too i go to school there. we didnt really do too much caroling we just sang the whole silent night to all the people in 7-11 and then left. just a little fun thing ya know but we were hanging out with lisa for a while after the show. too bad you couldnt have stayed!
Old 12-17-2006, 03:15 AM   #77
poe11371
Lost Eskimo

Unhappy Damn MBTA

I was there, well, not at the 7-11 but just prior, and I got the picture to prove. I too had to catch the subway home, had I stuck around I don't know if I could deal with caroling with Lisa ... I think I would have geeked out and started to cry. Really I could hardly contain myself jsut standing next to her. I am such a fan boy ...
poe11371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 04:23 AM   #78
Lophashea
Eskimo Baby

Oh boy I didnt mean to start a frenzy here. No one get upset, it's all opinions. To me, it was the worst show I've ever seen. The jam after Amie was so stupid. The annoying screams drove me mad becasue his voice is so good and this makes him look so bad. Oh well next time will be better. (It has to be because it can't be any worse) Also to the experts here, I have a ton of boots and never heard Damien do a 20 minute jam like the other night. Does he do this often now? Also the musician guy, I too am a musician and the part of the jams that I hated wasnt the music. It was the repetitive verses and stupid lyrics. Like I said earlier I dont think Damiens lyrics are strong anyway in most songs but his music and voice is what makes it. When one of those goes sour it all sounds terrible in my opinion. It's nice to see such passionate fans though. See you all next time!
Old 12-17-2006, 06:26 AM   #79
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
dear lord... please relax... i wasn't being dismissive of anyone who thought the show wasn't quality... i was posting youtube links for anyone who actually wanted to see them and this pissed someone off because they thought they youtube videos weren't a good representation of the evening's performance...
I'm all relaxed now - not to worry.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:04 AM   #80
MertWindu
Horrible Timing Eskimo

Quote:
yeah i had to come back to western mass too i go to school there. we didnt really do too much caroling we just sang the whole silent night to all the people in 7-11 and then left. just a little fun thing ya know but we were hanging out with lisa for a while after the show. too bad you couldnt have stayed!
UMass?
Old 12-17-2006, 05:35 PM   #81
peterj
eskimo friend

Quote:
UMass?
yeah umass
Old 12-17-2006, 08:24 PM   #82
coreyb
eskiphotographer

any word on the recording?
Old 12-18-2006, 12:41 AM   #83
MertWindu
Horrible Timing Eskimo

Quote:
yeah umass
Ah. I'm an alum, living out in Pittsfield now.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:17 AM   #84
peterj
eskimo friend

Quote:
Ah. I'm an alum, living out in Pittsfield now.
hah oh really. thats awesome.....so you must have heard about the riots that happened the other night huh?
Old 12-18-2006, 09:21 AM   #85
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lophashea
The drummer is the worst drummer I have ever seen. He missed a ton of hits and was off but I notice that stuff because I am one.
You lose what little credibility you may have had with this section. Tomo's a f*cking incredible drummer.

I'm willing to bet he can drum you under the table!
Old 12-18-2006, 04:50 PM   #86
Lophashea
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet
You lose what little credibility you may have had with this section. Tomo's a f*cking incredible drummer.

I'm willing to bet he can drum you under the table!
Well he must have been drunk on monday then, because he was awful. As far as incredible drummers goes, he is NOT an incredible drummer. Although I hate Dave Matthews Band, Carter Beauford is an incredible drummer not this guy! Sorry but I have been playing music for 25 years (I am 28) and one thing I know is the musician aspect. I can spot talent but you never know, like I said before maybe he was drunk or he was just off that night. It happens to everyone. I'm not saying I am better than this guy at the drums either. My style is different from his so you could never compare. But he is playing with Damien Rice so he must be doing something right!
Old 12-18-2006, 04:57 PM   #87
eagle88
Eskimo Friend

Chills....and I teared up a little.

Vyv playing "Yoshimi..."? That seems absolutely perfect, what a brilliant choice.

I still long to hear her version of "Seven Nation Army" in person.
eagle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:04 PM   #88
katiejoey
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
yeah it actually happened quite a while after that. we waited around for a while and we didnt end up hanging out with lisa until well after 12 and then i brought up the bright idea of going christmas caroling because we were talking about her version of silent night so i asked her if she wanted to go christmas caroling and she did. probably the best thing thats ever happened to me haha great night.
That is so cool and such a great memory for you to always have. Lisa seems like such a down to earth woman (who would have ever thought she'd be caroling with fans at a 7-11 after midnight??) I do agree with poe11371 thoug, if that ever happend to me I'd probably geek out and start crying too (I cried when Damien sand Elephant this past summer in Chicago )
katiejoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:28 PM   #89
daveydave
Eskimo Regular

Default Recording ready

= any word on the recording?

Hi Corey,

I think sometime this week. I've got a bit of a cold unfortunately, but there is not really a lot to do. Maybe 5 - 6 hours of work and I always listen back to the CD's for any errors on my part. Best to be right the first time. ETA - Most likely before the weekend.

dave
daveydave

Last edited by daveydave; 12-18-2006 at 06:29 PM. Reason: did not include prior quote essential from thread
daveydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 08:14 PM   #90
peterj
eskimo friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiejoey
That is so cool and such a great memory for you to always have. Lisa seems like such a down to earth woman (who would have ever thought she'd be caroling with fans at a 7-11 after midnight??) I do agree with poe11371 thoug, if that ever happend to me I'd probably geek out and start crying too (I cried when Damien sand Elephant this past summer in Chicago )
yeah it was pretty sweet...and i actually cant believe i wasnt going crazy like a little school girl haha after everything had happened i just looked at my friend and said what did we just do? i still dont believe the night happened