Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > www.EskimoFriends.com > www.EskimoFriends.com

Old 04-09-2007, 07:51 PM   #1
Nette
Eskimo Baby

Question homies for the users?

Hi!

Just a suggestion taken from another forum I'm a member of: couldn't we have a section for individual homies in here too? It's one thread for every user where you can communicate with this person (about DR things and to get to know that person better and stay in touch).
Nette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:44 PM   #2
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Well, that's what PMs are for surely
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage

Last edited by Closing_Doors; 04-09-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:49 PM   #3
shyatt3
Eskimo Apprentice

I know the kind of thing you're talking about, but I was also going to suggest using the PM feature.
shyatt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:32 PM   #4
Nette
Eskimo Baby

Well, in the other forum we use pms only for really personal things we do not want to post in public. But the homies are there for keeping update with each other. But perhaps this is what is meant with "to keep in touch and to get to know each other better" on the EF myspace then. It just makes no sense to me to separate this from the forum. But that's just my personal opinion.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:34 PM   #5
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

You can start a thread for yourself in the Everything Else section if you like and see how it goes. People also use an intro thread in the Introduce Yourself section to get started...

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:39 PM   #6
Nette
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels
You can start a thread for yourself in the Everything Else section if you like and see how it goes. People also use an intro thread in the Introduce Yourself section to get started...
I'm only a newbie here so perhaps there was a reason to separate the "get to know each other"-thing from this forum and I just don't know? If not: why was it separated? (note: I'm a communication-consultant and might think a little more about those things - it just makes no sense to me, that's all)

As for the intro thread: I already have one and found some folks there - who added me on myspace (you see).
Old 04-09-2007, 10:58 PM   #7
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

i don't know what homies are but it kinda sound like the buddy list thingie, i think. i'm just guessing
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:14 PM   #8
Nette
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali
i don't know what homies are but it kinda sound like the buddy list thingie, i think. i'm just guessing
No (at least if the buddy list is sth like you have it on messengers). It's a personal thread for each member in a separate section that is called "homes". And in there you can "talk" with someone to get to know them and to keep in touch (just what is written on the EF myspace). But it is WITHIN the forum (where imho it belongs) and not outside. Just sth to make members feel even more like a community.

For example I logged in to get to know people who also like DR music and to read news about it. The only sense I see in being a member here is to have a kind of community and exchange with the other members (and this not only about DR). Otherwise I don't have to log in as I can still read in here without being registered. But when I saw the link to the EF myspace it was like being asked to keep everything that doesn't belong to any of the existing threads outside. And this is what I don't understand.

It's strange to start a personal section as a newbie if there is nothing like that yet. But perhaps I'm just blessed from the other forum...?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:25 PM   #9
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

i think that is way there is AOL instant messaging
carvinC980t_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:41 PM   #10
Nette
Eskimo Baby

ERm... no. It's no instant messaging. It's normal forum threads. But apparently there is no interst for sth like that here, so I'll just leave the question then.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:46 PM   #11
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

i think most people don't really know what those homies are, i know i don't
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:24 PM   #12
Nette
Eskimo Baby

"Home" is just the name for a thread that belongs to a member. Every member can get one and all those threads are in an own section called "homes". For example in this other forum I mentioned I have my home that is called "Nette's art-filled nest" and everybody can contact me there and I post my news there and communicate with people about my stuff.

We also have an "introduce yourself"-section there but it is only for introducing, not for further communication.

The thought behind this is that people who come together because of a special subject (like DR here) build a community. So the question is: is this forum just thought as a place for news and gossip about DR or also as a possibility for DR-fans to communicate with each other?

In the first case homes make no sense here. In the second case it makes no sense to send people to myspace to "to keep in touch and to get to know each other better" (see EF myspace).

Last edited by Nette; 04-11-2007 at 09:27 PM.