Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > www.EskimoFriends.com > www.EskimoFriends.com

Old 02-10-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

Default Political commentaries

Hey admin

I don't mean this in a nasty or arguementative way but I'm not particularly happy about the posting of that Obama video on the home page. I know that it's your site, but aside from siding with Damien's views this forum has always been objective when discussing political matters. As much as I love Obama, and want his man babies, I don't feel that the homepage should be used as a political platform.

Dean
Dean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Dean, this site has long been political. You can find similar posts when it supported John Kerry last time out. Aung San Su Kyi is still strongly supported. So don't expect that to be changing any time soon.

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:02 PM   #3
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

You want to set up a site, and support another candidate as part of it, then do. I don't see the problem here. It's not like supporters of other candidates than Obama are being suppressed in the forums.
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:16 PM   #4
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels
Dean, this site has long been political. You can find similar posts when it supported John Kerry last time out. Aung San Su Kyi is still strongly supported. So don't expect that to be changing any time soon.
Aung San Su Kyi is different, as that is a cause that Damien supports. I'd like to think that if I ran a site for Jack Johnson fans, I'd support his causes and not impose my own views on the members.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean C
I'd like to think that if I ran a site for Jack Johnson fans, I'd support his causes and not impose my own views on the members.
lol Slightly melodramatic there. You're not being forced to vote for Obama... just given some information. I'm sure you can handle it.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:13 PM   #6
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels
lol Slightly melodramatic there. You're not being forced to vote for Obama... just given some information. I'm sure you can handle it.
Yes, but why not post videos for Hilary and McCain and Paul and Huckabee as well All I'm saying is that I believe the site should be objective wherever possible, aside from supporting Damien's political stance.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:15 PM   #7
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

That's just how we roll...

But the serious answer is that there is nothing objective about a site like this. Damien (& Co) was chosen because of a love for their music. Equal time is not given here to Frank Sinatra for example. Choices of Recommended Artist are also subjective. There are lots of acts out there who may be equally deserving of recognition, but choices are made based on personal taste. Taste that may differ from Damiens own. It's the exact same with politics.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:52 PM   #8
Rai
Eskimontologist

We Want More Sinatra!!!!

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:25 PM   #9
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Well... maybe we can give in on the Sinatra thing... lol

Old 02-10-2008, 11:51 PM   #10
administrator
forum administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean C
Hey admin

I don't mean this in a nasty or arguementative way but I'm not particularly happy about the posting of that Obama video on the home page. I know that it's your site, but aside from siding with Damien's views this forum has always been objective when discussing political matters. As much as I love Obama, and want his man babies, I don't feel that the homepage should be used as a political platform.

Dean
Hi Dean,

I can understand your take on it, but I don't really agree with you. I think if you believe in something, it's ok to say it. And I think that when it's about something so important, and at such an important time, then it's good to to support the things that you believe in. So I don't apologise for posting a video with excerpts from an Obama speech, maybe it sparked an interest in someone to go listen to the speech in full, which was amazing. (watch it here.) It doesn't mean I won't post a Clinton link in the future... so beware!

administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:26 AM   #11
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

Go Hillary!!
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:41 AM   #12
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator
It doesn't mean I won't post a Clinton link in the future... so beware!
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:47 PM   #13
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Hi Dean,

I can understand your take on it, but I don't really agree with you. I think if you believe in something, it's ok to say it. And I think that when it's about something so important, and at such an important time, then it's good to to support the things that you believe in. So I don't apologise for posting a video with excerpts from an Obama speech, maybe it sparked an interest in someone to go listen to the speech in full, which was amazing. (watch it here.) It doesn't mean I won't post a Clinton link in the future... so beware!
Absolutely, but why not post it in the chit chat forum instead, where everyone can have a unique view. By posting it on the front page it gives the impression that your view is agreed with by the consensus of this site. If you had posted a Hilary and McCain and Paul and Huckabee video too, at the same time, I wouldn't have had a problem
Old 02-11-2008, 08:42 PM   #14
Rai
Eskimontologist

^It does not suggest any consensus. It suggests that the admins are for Obama. If you go to a pub every day and the owner sticks a huge "I love James Blunt" banner out you it will not mean that everyone in the pub loves Mr Squeaky.

By the way, I like New York in June, how about you guys?

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:02 AM   #15
Tommy
Chilly Eskimo

Quote:
Hi Dean,

It did and it was
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:13 PM   #16
mark.
Eskimo Friend

this isn't an official site so the admin has no loyalties except to the admin....so what goes on the main page doesn't have to have anything to do with Damien.
We're all members of the forum on the site, not of the site itself, so it doesn't reflect anything on us. says I. :P
mark. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:06 PM   #17
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
Mr Squeaky.
ha ha
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:10 PM   #18
She'sAlwaysDressedInWhite
Eskimo Regular

I do see where Dean is coming from..But since this site is not owned by Damo or his camp, it is really up to the admin what he wants to posts I guess.

Personally, I don’t think it is fortunate to include things like this on the news page of the site that represents an artist (officially or unofficially), unless he is actively involved with the issue (like Aung San Su Kyi) purely cause it ruins professionalism for me a bit.

In the chit chat forum sure it’s cool, but I do see where Dean comes from when mentioning why to put it on the news page…( I am a huge Obama supporter as well btw)
Old 02-28-2008, 06:19 AM   #19
Five Leaves Left
Eskimo Regular

Why is this site endorsing Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova on the homepage? I wanted Enchanted to win the oscar and I dont like that this site is endorsing people that I dont like...its just not fair...

*sarcasm.
Five Leaves Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:19 PM   #20
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

lol