Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 12-04-2002, 05:26 PM   #1
Draig_Wrecsam
Eskimo Baby

Hi

Afraid I hadn't heard of Damien until his performance on Jools Holland (the only performer worth listening to on a rare poor show) I've just downloaded Volcano, and will definitely get his album.

I'd say he's pretty similar to David Gray (but obviously I havent heard enough to make such a statement yet, but tough!), which of course is a very good thing. Does anyone else see any similarities?
Old 12-04-2002, 05:26 PM   #2
Draig_Wrecsam
Eskimo Baby

Hi

Afraid I hadn't heard of Damien until his performance on Jools Holland (the only performer worth listening to on a rare poor show) I've just downloaded Volcano, and will definitely get his album.

I'd say he's pretty similar to David Gray (but obviously I havent heard enough to make such a statement yet, but tough!), which of course is a very good thing. Does anyone else see any similarities?
Old 12-04-2002, 06:48 PM   #3
majestic007
Eskimo Baby

Well, you see. David Gray is actually a pop star in disguise as any part time music fan will tell you. I think he got a knock-back from popstars:the revivals and decided to get his own back with his new album.

Damien, on the other hand, is pure. Thats all there is to say.

Stuart
majestic007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 06:48 PM   #4
majestic007
Eskimo Baby

Well, you see. David Gray is actually a pop star in disguise as any part time music fan will tell you. I think he got a knock-back from popstars:the revivals and decided to get his own back with his new album.

Damien, on the other hand, is pure. Thats all there is to say.

Stuart
majestic007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 11:27 AM   #5
*Meg
Eskimo Baby

Damien is pure... I couldn't agree with you more. Having seen him live on numerous occasions, you can't help but feel you are a part of something special.

DG ... maybe more people shouldlisten to his early works, for examplethe albumACentury Ends and Flesh- the song Dabauchery amongest others, is still one of the most raw, soulful and pure songs I know. (Rice aside)

Their styles are different - both unique wonderful. Grays latest album is his 7th, many people know only White Ladder, but he too started with just a guitar and his lyrics - similar to Damien. If someone does well, and finally finally after years of struggling, makes it - why be cynical and call them a pop star knock back - when they have worked so hard to make a buck. Well I guess you could call it - selling out to the masses (ref. album SellSell Sell)or you could just go with - survival.

I wish Damien all the best, and if he too becomes more popular I will congratulate him, not slander him

Check out David Gray EP's as well - the track, 'The Rice' (coincidence only) is another great!
*Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 11:27 AM   #6
*Meg
Eskimo Baby

Damien is pure... I couldn't agree with you more. Having seen him live on numerous occasions, you can't help but feel you are a part of something special.

DG ... maybe more people shouldlisten to his early works, for examplethe albumACentury Ends and Flesh- the song Dabauchery amongest others, is still one of the most raw, soulful and pure songs I know. (Rice aside)

Their styles are different - both unique wonderful. Grays latest album is his 7th, many people know only White Ladder, but he too started with just a guitar and his lyrics - similar to Damien. If someone does well, and finally finally after years of struggling, makes it - why be cynical and call them a pop star knock back - when they have worked so hard to make a buck. Well I guess you could call it - selling out to the masses (ref. album SellSell Sell)or you could just go with - survival.

I wish Damien all the best, and if he too becomes more popular I will congratulate him, not slander him

Check out David Gray EP's as well - the track, 'The Rice' (coincidence only) is another great!
*Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 02:05 PM   #7
Draig_Wrecsam
Eskimo Baby

I agree with you Meg. Damien is similar to the 'old' David Gray.I didn't discover David Gray until after White Ladder but soon bought his other albums. His voice and style is notablly different on his earlier albums especially ACE.

I'd say David is far from a 'pop star'. As you rightly say why knock someone who's worked hard to get recognised. I'm sure , and hopeful that Damien will be just, if not more successful than David Gray. I'm afriad you're gonna have to share him with the world!

Cheers
Old 12-06-2002, 02:05 PM   #8
Draig_Wrecsam
Eskimo Baby

I agree with you Meg. Damien is similar to the 'old' David Gray.I didn't discover David Gray until after White Ladder but soon bought his other albums. His voice and style is notablly different on his earlier albums especially ACE.

I'd say David is far from a 'pop star'. As you rightly say why knock someone who's worked hard to get recognised. I'm sure , and hopeful that Damien will be just, if not more successful than David Gray. I'm afriad you're gonna have to share him with the world!

Cheers