Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 12-16-2006, 05:00 AM   #1
poe11371
Lost Eskimo

Question Damien abducted by Aliens? (Amie Story)

Am I the only one who has made the connection of Damien, the star field and his story about Amie might have something to with him, maybe being abducted by aliens once, at least, maybe.

When he was in Boston last he said this ...

*Vyv finished playing "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots"*
so, ah, speaking of robots, and machines ....

I don't know it if it's, ah, because people get disillusioned when they allow themselves to get kind of carried over with'ah bit too much emotion, or whether it's when you allow yourself to get carried over with so much emotion that you actually start opening your eyes and you start seeing things differently to other people.
Not sure which way it works, but, ah ...
There was a moment where I remember just, kind of, actually I don't really remember but I have this vague recollection of being sort of, God, so surprising, I was down, imagine that?
And I, hardly ever happens, but, this particular occasion I remember just calling over to a friend's house, and they let me stay in their room.
And got me excited for a while, they were female ya know, very good friends, and I thought "a bit of comfort for the night." *inaudible*. lovely.
But they were planning on staying in their little sister's room, so and I didn't know whether if that was an invitation to join them and their little sister.
I didn't take them up on it, but we were sitting in the room anyway, she sat on the side of the bed for a while, she said "look, I've got a great big window".
She was one of these people who could eat crap, just crisps and sweets. No, not that crisps are crap, but just eat loads of what you call junk food and always be healthy and full of energy. At the time I was a health freak, on my vegetarian nuff(?) diet and I was always sick, ya'know, it's just so ironic.
And, and she had this very positive way of looking at the world she said "just lie in my bed there and spend the evening looking at the stars until you fall asleep and if you find yourself down just pick one of the stars and focus on it and ask it to give you a sign or something" and I was like "yeah, yeah, right, sure."
So instead as she went out the the door I decided to have a wank. Did I just say that?
And I was fine for a while.
Then I resorted to the stars, so I looked up and I picked one, and I was just kind of bleary eyed and could not keep my focus so I just picked a whole gang of them and said "You guys, just give us a sign will 'ya?"
Right in that moment there was a shooting star.
And it's amazing when it's all coincidence and everything and in that moment.
I was all like "digg", it's like "woah" so i decided to get a little bit cocky with the stars ya'know and ask for for a little bit more.
So I looked up and said "Dudes, [editorial note: hearing Damien saying "Dudes" is like hearing Carlton from Fresh Prince saying "Homie"] very good, very good, that was like a kiss on the cheek, give us a real sign, ya'know."
This is the bit that I can't really remember and this is the bit where I don't know whether, I do remember it, but I don't know if I was crazy.
For I saw something and I don't know what it was [editorial note: say what?]
Things move and *inaudible*
And then this song came out if it ...
*then plays Amie -> Sex Change -> Eskimo*
poe11371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:07 AM   #2
Lin@
Eskimo Regular

OMG, this is SO amazing! Thanks for sharing. I really heard Damien's voice in my head when I was reading this. It's just so typical of him. He simply seems to be from another planet. And he played "Sex Change"?!?

btw: Love your avatar!
Lin@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:20 AM   #3
poe11371
Lost Eskimo

Talking yeppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin@

...And he played "Sex Change"?!?

btw: Love your avatar!
yeah, he played "Sex Change" as such ... I had never really knew it as a song until I did some digging for it, found the lyrics but want to find another version of it so I can compare it. Is it really so reverb/Bauhaus/heavy like? Not sure what that "sonic wave" part is called right after Amie though, someone once said it was from Radiohead ... not sure. Once the torrent for the Boston show gets released, that is once the master file is edited and released you will be able to hear the story/song for yourself.

btw: the icon is from my LiveJournal, I use it when ever I have one of those "Cheers Darlin" moments ... I seem to have them more often since moving to the city. One time a woman actually gave me three cigarettes ... but that was because all the stores around were closed and such ...
Old 12-16-2006, 10:07 AM   #4
Lin@
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by poe11371
yeah, he played "Sex Change" as such ... I had never really knew it as a song until I did some digging for it, found the lyrics but want to find another version of it so I can compare it. Is it really so reverb/Bauhaus/heavy like?
I do only know the Juniper version of "Sex Change" from here, but I really like it. Quite un-damien-esque, but still great. Can't wait to hear the Boston live version!
Lin@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:15 AM   #5
tywy
Eskimo Regular

abducted by aliens, ha!
tywy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 07:50 PM   #6
Nine
Inuit

wow. Could you upload the audio version that you transcribed that from pretty please?

x
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:19 PM   #7
daveydave
Eskimo Regular

Default Transcribed???

Who's to say that Poe doesn't just have an incredible memory for the spoken word? :-)

daveydave
daveydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:34 PM   #8
aachoo9
Eskimo Baby

Wait! What is this site?! It's amazing! "When Doves Cry"? And Zeppelin? What a beautiful rendition.. wow this made my day.
aachoo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 01:40 AM   #9
muskoxen
Eskimo Regular

i never really thought that he'd been abducted by aleins, no, i'd just imagined he'd seen a UFO of sorts.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:51 AM   #10
Topspin047
tennis pro

haha you have a 94 percent recall of conversations like Capote? lol

OMG at Tower Theatre it felt like I was being taken in by a spaceship. It was so incredible, and there was just so much going on at once and passion, I just can't describe it in words,

all i've done all day was think about the concert/listen and watch damo/ and sing his songs.

Obsessed? A tad...
Old 12-17-2006, 03:11 AM   #11
poe11371
Lost Eskimo

Talking it's just a fad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin047
haha you have a 94 percent recall of conversations like Capote? lol

OMG at Tower Theatre it felt like I was being taken in by a spaceship. It was so incredible, and there was just so much going on at once and passion, I just can't describe it in words,

all i've done all day was think about the concert/listen and watch damo/ and sing his songs.

Obsessed? A tad...
94% with help from an audio track and an hour of pausing and rewinding and typing and pausing and rewinding, wash, rinse, repeat ... yeah, like that.

I too have been listening to Damien tracks since the show, I cant get "Random Man On The Motorway" and "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots" out of my mind. Granted those songs were performed by Vyv, but the songs were still part of the show.

When he came out and played Sand, one of my two favorite "not commercially released" songs - the other is Insane ... well, I started to weep a little. The Professor blew me away with Lisa singing with all the emotion of a jilted lover bringing the song over that edge and I started to cry. I wasn't until Yoshimi that I was able to maintain composure. It wasn't until the end of the show when he played 9 Crimes/Rootless Tree during the encore that I lost it again. It truly is an emotional time.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:40 AM   #12
Ion Ashes
Eskimo Baby

Ion Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:44 PM   #13
DRQuebec
Eskimo Regular

Yeah he definatly encountered aliens. They brought him with them, then he had a cup of herbal tea with Jesus, Buddha and Muhammed.

I've heard he spent a complete year with them, busking the corridors of their spaceship. They used to make him sleep in a waterbed filled with cold water with his hands tied in his back and where a female alien would sometimes come to manually satisfy him (she only had one arm). That's where the lyrics "cold water surrounds me now and all I've got is your hand" came.

Pretty sad story indeed.

Man An Ocean

Last edited by DRQuebec; 12-18-2006 at 09:54 PM.
DRQuebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:49 PM   #14
Timeé
Intello

can you elaborate? sounds like a good story.

i'd like the details please.
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:04 PM   #15
Ligi_Bella
Super Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRQuebec
Yeah he definatly encountered aliens. They brought him with them, then he had a cup of herbal tea with Jesus, Buddha and Muhammed.

I've heard he spent a complete year with them, busking the corridors of their spaceship. They used to make him sleep in a waterbed filled with cold water with his hands tied in his back and where a female alien would sometimes come to manually satisfy him (she only had one arm). That's where the lyrics "cold water surrounds me now and all I've got is your hand" came.

Pretty sad story indeed.
ROFL!!
Ligi_Bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:10 PM   #16
Ricicle
Eskimo Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRQuebec

Pretty sad story indeed.

It all makes sense now!!

R.
x
Ricicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:26 AM   #17
empty.thoughts
Lost Eskimo

Totally random. But what a fun read.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:57 PM   #18
poe11371
Lost Eskimo