Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 11-20-2014, 05:30 PM   #1
DFF
Eskimo Baby

Default Is Damien as good without Lisa and Vyvienne?

So what do you all think about Damien's new direction?

Do you think his music is better or worse without Lisa and Vyvienne involved?

Anyone nostalgic for the old Damien Rice band?

Or are you happy to see Damien find a new direction?

Were you happy to see Lisa go out on her own successfully?

And what about Vyvienne, do you think she can blossom as a solo artist and with her new band D.F.F.?
DFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:36 PM   #2
tessalasset
Eskimo Regular

I think it's a mix of all of the above. I desperately miss Lisa on the old songs and they have always sounded lacking without her, but I love his new stuff a lot, too.
tessalasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:39 PM   #3
carrroline
person

I miss Vyv sometimes I just love the sound of her cello, the strings on the new album are ok, but to me they just don't sound as inspired as Vyv's...

Lisa has grown a lot since these days, and her solo work is great. But i don't miss her during damien's gigs or on the new album. I think i like them better separately (both of them)
carrroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:59 PM   #4
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrroline View Post
I miss Vyv sometimes I just love the sound of her cello, the strings on the new album are ok, but to me they just don't sound as inspired as Vyv's...

Lisa has grown a lot since these days, and her solo work is great. But i don't miss her during damien's gigs or on the new album. I think i like them better separately (both of them)
I miss Vyvviene more than Lisa actually , just love the cello ...im suprised how much i dont miss Lisa especially 9crimes which is better on piano without her and la filla Danse rocks with damien live

although O wouldnt be the same without lisa ....it's Live where i Prefer No Lisa

But i do miss the band in general over Damien completely solo
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:01 PM   #5
damien lisa
am i breaking u

a whole new world open when u're getting older, taking new steps. But still, when u look back, youth is still the best time

his backing vocalist is a singer-songwritter, his cellist is a singer-songwritter. And both of them are great. That's too many talents just to support him. There's no surprise they go solo
Old 11-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #6
damien lisa
am i breaking u

i miss them together as a team, tomo, damo, shane, lisa, vyv. Like miss the day when u in high school

Last edited by damien lisa; 11-20-2014 at 08:57 PM.
damien lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:29 PM   #7
signalfire
Eskimo Regular

I like the energy he brings being all alone on a stage. It means that he can push himself a little more to make the songs different, give them intros/outros, whatever he's feeling. It's a wonder to behold, just a man and his guitar (and/or piano).

I love Lisa and Vyv's stuff on their own, so I think it's the best possible outcome. I try not to linger too much on the past.
signalfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:36 PM   #8
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Lisa & Damien together live on stage were magic!!!

Damo solo is different but equally good

I´m not a big fan of drums and bass so I don´t mind Damien playing solo without a band. Kind agate it when you go to a concert and the bass or the drums are so high in the mix that you can barely hear the guitar or the voice.

Also a bit tired of strings/cello lately. For instance, IDWTCY sounds much much better solo, the album version is almost too nice.

Love Vyv but at the same time I´m disappointed she´s done nothing in the last 8 years. She did her album but was not really impressed, 2/3 good tracks but not a great album overall. And then nothing since then in the last 5 years or something.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:21 PM   #9
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

I love him solo because his interaction with people on stage is not seamless. There's always a bit of tension. He's tries to give up control and the musicians try to accommodate him. It wasn't always that way with Lisa, but a bit in some shows I saw. Maybe since he is working on stuff, he will be a bit more at ease with his sociability. I do miss a cello, but it can be anyone who wants to flit in and out. It doesn't have to be a "band" member.

I also love how he can command a whole audience by himself, as he plays alone with his pedals. So powerful for a one little man.

I loooove Lisa with her band. She really seems to have fun with them. I would never want her to play alone.
InspirationDestination is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damien rice, dff, lisa hannigan, vyvienne long