Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 01-05-2007, 01:42 AM   #1
Nilton A.
Eskimo Baby

Default The girl that does yoga

Does anyone know whose Damien is talking about in this song? His lyrics are very personal, and hard for us to understand them (specially the ones who don't have a very good English).

Some interview of him explaining some lyrics would help :P
Nilton A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:02 AM   #2
brookefield
slightly colder water...

i heard from a dirty little bird that it was about one miss rene zellweger. however, i try very fervently to forget this every time i hear it...something about damien rice and bridget jones just doesn't quite do it for me.

i'm more than happy to be proven wrong...
Old 01-05-2007, 02:25 AM   #3
Bumpman

Whoever told you that has a vivid imagination to say the least. People seem to love trying to link Damien's songs to his friends, it's always horsesh*t though. I generally don't believe anything that's said about his music unless he or the band says it, and even then it takes some convincing.

In this instance it can be proven very conclusively wrong, Damien's been playing Dogs / The Girl Who Does Yoga since before 2003, As far as I know he first ran into Reneé Zellweger at a party in early 2005... so there you have it.

The sad thing about rumours like that though, is that sometimes they're not as, shall we say, poorly researched as that one is, I'm always surprised at how people constantly believe how 'their friend's friend knows someone who etc...'
Old 01-05-2007, 05:56 AM   #4
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilton A.
Does anyone know whose Damien is talking about in this song? His lyrics are very personal, and hard for us to understand them (specially the ones who don't have a very good English).

Some interview of him explaining some lyrics would help :P
i've never heard damien talk about this song in an interview or anything before nilton, sorry.. but if you're having trouble with particular words or phrases maybe we could help?

i'm interested to know if when you listen to baby sister/ave maria if you hear any portuguese words in there..? hmm.. or at the end of cold water too
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:23 AM   #5
Nilton A.
Eskimo Baby

Haha what is the problem with Renee Zellweger? :P I like her. But well, it's simply obvious Damien wrote it for a friend :P it would be very random if he'd simply write it for no real person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
i've never heard damien talk about this song in an interview or anything before nilton, sorry.. but if you're having trouble with particular words or phrases maybe we could help?

i'm interested to know if when you listen to baby sister/ave maria if you hear any portuguese words in there..? hmm.. or at the end of cold water too
Well, SisterMidnight, I've never listened to Baby Sister/Ave Maria. It's propably in "B-sides" album... i don't have it yet... well, I'll download it anyway. About "Cold Water", well I don't remember of any Portuguese word in it. Actually I think i got only a couple of words in the middle of the song, but they were in English. Anyway, I'll listen to them later and will give you the answer

Well, about Dogs I don't have any doubt. But in "Accidental Babies" what does he mean when he says "Do you come together ever with him"? Thank you
Old 01-06-2007, 12:25 AM   #6
Bumpman

Baby Sister is on 'Live At The Union Chapel'... you might find a reasonably priced copy on Amazon.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:48 AM   #7
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Well, SisterMidnight, I've never listened to Baby Sister/Ave Maria. It's propably in "B-sides" album... i don't have it yet... well, I'll download it anyway. About "Cold Water", well I don't remember of any Portuguese word in it. Actually I think i got only a couple of words in the middle of the song, but they were in English. Anyway, I'll listen to them later and will give you the answer

Well, about Dogs I don't have any doubt. But in "Accidental Babies" what does he mean when he says "Do you come together ever with him"? Thank you
thank you! let us know what you think, we've just been wondering what some of the lyrics in other languages mean and thought some might be in portuguese

and about your question, well.. when a man and a woman love each other very much... oh man i feel like i'm having the talk with one of my kids maybe this will help explain it..

warning: don't watch it if you don't like profanity
or laughing
Old 03-18-2007, 04:48 AM   #8
Nilton A.
Eskimo Baby

Hahahaha, well.. I read a translation for that music that translated that like "cum together". But I thought: "this is definetily not Lennon's Come Together.
A little correction: next time you'll explain it to your kids, jump the "love" part :P better not to lie to them.

Ok, when I say something like "I'll do it later", be sure it probably will take more time than it is supposed to take.. but yes, this time it took much more time than the expected :P

What happened it was that I travelled just before replying to this topic and simply forgot about it... I came across it searching my messy favourite links list. So.. better late than never.

Well, about Baby Sister ... hehe no, probably it is in Latin. In the closest of the possibilities, it is in Italian. But not in Portuguese.

About Cold Water... the only thing in Portuguese i can hear there is "Aleluia" (hallelujah) ... which is, erm... a ... Latin word (well, actually Portuguese is nothing but a dialect of modern Latin). Maybe in this version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHxaIbBDgPs you can understand better what he says, since he sings it live. Doesn't Damien sing anything in Irish or Gaelic language?

Yes... I think Damien sang only Águas de Março and Desafinado in Portuguese (and probably it wasn't his wish :P it was probably like "damn, when will it going to end?").

Wanna check something sung in another language that sounds very much like in Portuguese, but has nothing to do with it? I introduce you the extraordinary Prabhu Deva:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjhO5CO2MzA

It is sung in some Indian language (I'm not sure if is Hindi)... these subtitles aren't the translation of the song :P
Watch it without the subtitles later. It isn't supposed to be funny. It is a work of art.

I am serious.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:06 PM   #9
cille
creepycute

The girl who does yoga is Jane Fonda.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:11 PM   #10
Nine
Inuit

This is not necessarily relevant - but I just wanna point out the subject of the song - the girl he's singing about - is not 'the girl that does yoga.' She lives with the girl that does yoga.

"She lives with an orange tree and a/the girl that does yoga"

Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:39 PM   #11
MacrossGirl
No hero in her sky..

Ok.. I will tell you. He wrote the song about me. I mean, I HAVE watched a jane Fonda video. And um, hmm.. well I have attempted sit-ups on occasion, while eating YOgurt.

I think that counts.
hehe

http://www.myspace.com/5859320
MacrossGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:07 PM   #12
Five Leaves Left
Eskimo Regular

i thought it was about amie
Five Leaves Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:25 PM   #13
MacrossGirl
No hero in her sky..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five Leaves Left
i thought it was about amie
Hmm.. I think he meant to say Macross.. but then again,
I've been licking coconut skins..

http://www.myspace.com/5859320
MacrossGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:00 AM   #14
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

When he was playing the song back in 2003, Joel Shearer was opening up. At one of the gigs, he said he'd been staying at Joel's place in California for awhile, and there was a girl nearby and he wrote a song about her.

Zellwiger is ridiculous since it was two years earlier. To think it was someone in Ireland is ridiculous because of the orange tree.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:15 AM   #15
Rue Saint-Denis
Eskimo Ghost

Florida's known for it's orange trees! But Damien has never played in Florida, so I doubt it's about a Floridian.
Rue Saint-Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:35 AM   #16
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

^^ ohh that joel, i didn't put that together from the kcrw interview.. i also think the song is about the girl who does yoga and not her roommate, and is just a continuation of the phrase rather than a distinction between "she" and "the girl.." imo. it would be kind of silly to have the refrain about the girl who does yoga throughout the song if in fact she wasn't the girl, if you get me

Quote:
Hahahaha, well.. I read a translation for that music that translated that like "cum together". But I thought: "this is definetily not Lennon's Come Together.
A little correction: next time you'll explain it to your kids, jump the "love" part :P better not to lie to them.

Ok, when I say something like "I'll do it later", be sure it probably will take more time than it is supposed to take.. but yes, this time it took much more time than the expected :P

What happened it was that I travelled just before replying to this topic and simply forgot about it... I came across it searching my messy favourite links list. So.. better late than never.

Well, about Baby Sister ... hehe no, probably it is in Latin. In the closest of the possibilities, it is in Italian. But not in Portuguese.

About Cold Water... the only thing in Portuguese i can hear there is "Aleluia" (hallelujah) ... which is, erm... a ... Latin word (well, actually Portuguese is nothing but a dialect of modern Latin). Maybe in this version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHxaIbBDgPs you can understand better what he says, since he sings it live. Doesn't Damien sing anything in Irish or Gaelic language?

Yes... I think Damien sang only Águas de Março and Desafinado in Portuguese (and probably it wasn't his wish :P it was probably like "damn, when will it going to end?").

Wanna check something sung in another language that sounds very much like in Portuguese, but has nothing to do with it? I introduce you the extraordinary Prabhu Deva:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjhO5CO2MzA

It is sung in some Indian language (I'm not sure if is Hindi)... these subtitles aren't the translation of the song :P
Watch it without the subtitles later. It isn't supposed to be funny. It is a work of art.

I am serious.
did you like the richard pryor clip? personally i always thought lennon's lyrics were a bit of a double entendre too

well thank you for the info, nilton. i'm convinced it's not portuguese now since some other brazilians on the orkut forum also confirmed this for me. it is interesting that he hasn't ever had a lyric in irish-gaelic, that had never occurred to me before but i don't think any of his lyrics are. the ave maria part in baby sister may be in more than one language though and it's not the traditional ave maria, which is why it's such a mystery..

i watched that indian video too, it actually is amusing though even if it's not meant to be.. i've never heard an indian pop song before, they had better moves than justin and britney
Old 03-19-2007, 03:08 AM   #17
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d
When he was playing the song back in 2003, Joel Shearer was opening up. At one of the gigs, he said he'd been staying at Joel's place in California for awhile, and there was a girl nearby and he wrote a song about her.

i heard that too (he explain it before he started to sing "dogs"), and in my mind came the idea it´s about alanis morissette. she is a very close friend of joel (but i don´t know if she lives near to his house), does yoga (she is a real "yoga girl") and she has an orange tree in her backyard!...

i know, it´s a crazy idea... but i wanted to share it with you... talking about "dogs".
Old 03-19-2007, 04:37 AM   #18
beatleboogie
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine
This is not necessarily relevant - but I just wanna point out the subject of the song - the girl he's singing about - is not 'the girl that does yoga.' She lives with the girl that does yoga.

"She lives with an orange tree and a/the girl that does yoga"

I disagree.
The lyrics on the official site have been wrong before.
It makes no sense that it isn't about the girl that does yoga. Just read the whole thing.

This is the lyrics here in the igloo, and also what I hear on the CD :

She lives with an orange tree
The girl that does yoga
She picks the dead ones from the ground
When we come over
Old 03-19-2007, 03:06 PM   #19
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
^^ ohh that joel, i didn't put that together from the kcrw interview.. i also think the song is about the girl who does yoga and not her roommate, and is just a continuation of the phrase rather than a distinction between "she" and "the girl.." imo. it would be kind of silly to have the refrain about the girl who does yoga throughout the song if in fact she wasn't the girl, if you get me

You know you can always count on me if you don't know it.

Yeah, I didn't feel like getting into this last night, but there is no roomate. The line is:

"She lives with an orange tree / The girl that does Yoga"

"she" in the song is "the girl that does yoga".
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:58 PM   #20
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

you're not gonna believe what I'm gonna tell you guys but...

ALANIS MORISSETTE has a TWIN BROTHER... who is a YOGA INSTRUCTOR and Alanis is a 100% Yoga girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:01 PM   #21
cille
creepycute

I didn't know that, but I did know that Sting is Alanis' twin sister
Old 03-19-2007, 06:47 PM   #22
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I was serious about Alanis, google it
Old 03-19-2007, 06:54 PM   #23
uconn5588
Eskimo Young Adult

That Indian pop music video was one of the strangest things I've ever seen haha.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:40 PM   #24
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Verenita, I think you're 10000000% right about Alanis

Check her family:

Father: Alan Morissette
Mother: Georgia
Brother: Chad Morissette
Brother: Wade Morissette (twin) (yoga instructor)
Old 03-19-2007, 07:46 PM   #25
songbirdrach
Eskimo Friend

I think you all reading way too much into it!
crazy kids!
there could be a gazillion girls who do yoga,lives with an orange tree,who is always dressed in white,who moves like a little girl,who gets splashed in paint and has a wolf to keep her warm!
i'd rather keep it a mystery.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:31 AM   #26
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatleboogie
I disagree.
The lyrics on the official site have been wrong before.
It makes no sense that it isn't about the girl that does yoga. Just read the whole thing.

This is the lyrics here in the igloo, and also what I hear on the CD :

She lives with an orange tree
The girl that does yoga
She picks the dead ones from the ground
When we come over
I hadn't even looked at the lyrics on the official site - it's definately 'and a girl that does yoga' - you can hear it.
If you can't hear it on the regular recording, listen to this one - the words 'and' & 'a' are very clear both times that he sings the line:

http://www.wikiupload.com/download_page.php?id=106876

Absolutely undeniable, yes?
Old 03-20-2007, 12:39 AM   #27
yankphin21
Eskimo Friend

on memory i thought it was "the", but having just listened again its definitely "and a"
yankphin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:44 AM   #28
shyatt3
Eskimo Apprentice

I must say that in this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=0uilnuzosp8) I hear "and a". But there is also the fact that the chorus is saying "the girl that does yoga", nothing about anyone else.
shyatt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:48 AM   #29
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyatt3
I must say that in this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=0uilnuzosp8) I hear "and a". But there is also the fact that the chorus is saying "the girl that does yoga", nothing about anyone else.
you have a point. How intreguing. Seems to contradict himself a little. He's probably just being clever :P
Old 03-20-2007, 01:18 AM   #30
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d
You know you can always count on me if you don't know it.
well thank you, i'll keep that in mind

so the "he" in the song who "lives in a little house on the side of a little hill" must be joel? if so he must be a good friend to damien, the lyrics are very warm toward both he and she in the song.. "she/he gives i get without giving anything to me".. wherever the girl that does yoga lives it sounds like a nice place

i'm intrigued by the possible alanis connection..