Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 11-03-2014, 07:34 AM   #91
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

for me, best Colour and Bastard... and MFFF
least, Change you and It Takes a Lot, the only two ones that are not a 10 (yet)
Old 11-03-2014, 08:05 AM   #92
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

NPR nailed it in their review:

Rice loves to let songs build to lavish climaxes, and My Favourite Faded Fantasy does much the same thing as a grand whole: Though its singles ("I Don't Want To Change You," "The Greatest Bastard") reside in the album's first half, its back half is a Murderer's Row of album highlights strung together. Rice's best song in more than a decade, "Colour Me In" hits a spectacular, string-swept crescendo late; a few minutes later, the lovable eight-minute "Trusty And True" transitions slowly from a lightly plucked whisper to a lushly rousing, suitably philosophical Irish sing-along.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:27 AM   #93
Damohohoh
Eskimo Friend

My favourite tracks are actually ITALTKAM. I love the strings, and the harmonization, and the effect of rainfall and piano. Followed by IDWCY and Colour me In.

Did you guys notice, that the introductory guitar tabs for Colour me In are very very similar to Delicate? I think that was kind of intentional.
Damohohoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #94
Stephen Grigsby
Eskimo Baby

Default Looking forward to receiving my box set

Looking forward to the inspiration and ideas from these beautiful tracks to write some more material
Stephen Grigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #95
verenita
... trusty and true ...

it truly breaks my heart this albums come out of misery and it leaves me feeling miserable after listening... for that, i do believe it´s a beautiful 8-piece of musical poetry...

what i love the most so far: the fact ITALTKAM is so different from what i´d heard from him and it´s great. also, its sort of tango sound i that find, i loved this song at the first listening.;his voice in colour me in; the plural in trusty and true; the cello in the box (though i feel his voice looses some intensity compare to live versions and the story behind); how he feels the greatest bastard and the end of the record with long long way. i just love to feel his exquisite sensitity as a musician (and i pressume as a human being) throughout the album.

Last edited by verenita; 11-20-2014 at 11:03 AM.
verenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #96
Agent99
Eskimo Regular

The only one I don't absolutely adore is I Don't Want To Change You.
Agent99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:28 PM   #97
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damohohoh View Post
As per the Vinyl cover sleeve, one of the bits he repeats (and which you can hear once you concentrate) is

"you wrote me to tell me you’re nervous and you’re sorry
crying like a baby saying “this thing is killing me”"
I didn't realize he was saying this. Have only listened to the mp3s, so I can't hear all of the end. Makes it top of the favorites list (despite the lyrics about hunters and honeybees...yuck!) after Colour Me In. I also love the album version of Box. Lowest for me is MFFF (only because of the falsetto) and Bastard (only because I like the original more).

These are subject to change because Damien songs grow and evolve for me.
InspirationDestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #98
deano4leelee
Eskimo Baby

My fav so far is "Colour Me In". Beautiful piece of music.
Followed by "The Greatest Bastard".
"Trusty and True" is not a typical Damien song for me but it sounds so "irish". I really like it.
I think he should work more with Marketa Irglova. Both are incredible artists and on "Long Long Way" they worked perfectly together.
For me, this record and the new one from Marketa are the best ones I heard in a long, long time.
deano4leelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #99
Damohohoh
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspirationDestination View Post
I didn't realize he was saying this. Have only listened to the mp3s, so I can't hear all of the end. Makes it top of the favorites list (despite the lyrics about hunters and honeybees...yuck!) after Colour Me In. I also love the album version of Box. Lowest for me is MFFF (only because of the falsetto) and Bastard (only because I like the original more).

These are subject to change because Damien songs grow and evolve for me.
I agree, ITALTKAM is my favourite on the album too, even though lyrically it is not as deep as some of the songs on the older albums. Except I absolutely love the melody and the harmonisation, and there is so much of self reflection in that bit that I had quoted previously. Though I wonder what the point of keeping that in is, I mean, is he questioning the fact that he was that hurt, or is he just stating it (but then that goes against the theme of the song). I don't know, lyrically for me this album is sort of confusing, but that is probably good too!
Damohohoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #100
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damohohoh View Post
I agree, ITALTKAM is my favourite on the album too, even though lyrically it is not as deep as some of the songs on the older albums. Except I absolutely love the melody and the harmonisation, and there is so much of self reflection in that bit that I had quoted previously. Though I wonder what the point of keeping that in is, I mean, is he questioning the fact that he was that hurt, or is he just stating it (but then that goes against the theme of the song). I don't know, lyrically for me this album is sort of confusing, but that is probably good too!
I think that's the duality he talks about in Trusty and True. He (and we all) have the duality in us, and peace comes when we reconcile it (and diminish the external "talk") to find our authentic spirit.

He always puts a sort of "prayer" in his music. With Cold Water, it was "Lord, can you hear me now?", which evolved into the Buddhist chant, which transformed into the meditation bowl in Sleep Don't Weep, and now the 4 questions (not really prayer, but still spiritual healing).

Very rarely do we see anyone, let alone a performer, be so vulnerable in public. Especially someone as private as he.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:20 PM   #101
Shaftell
Eskimo Friend

Does "Long Long Way" make anyone else sad? The song upsets me for some reason!
Shaftell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:14 PM   #102
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

His music is horribly sad. Why my friends won't listen to it anymore or go to any of his concerts. If it takes someone to a dark place that you can't get out of (as opposed to helping you release your darkness and heal you), it is very important to talk to someone about it.

Last edited by InspirationDestination; 11-03-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:52 AM   #103
damien lisa
am i breaking u

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Favourite_Faded_Fantasy
Quote:
Personnel[edit]
  • Damien Rice – vocals, acoustic guitar (1-8), electric guitar (1), piano (1,2,4-7), clarinet (1,8), tambourine (1), sounds & percussion (2), pump organ (5,6), bass (7,8), harmonium (8)
  • Joel Shearer - crotales (1,8), tambourine (1), shaker (1), electric guitar swells (1), bass (2,6,7), sounds & percussion (2), electric guitar (2,4,8), cuatro (7), muted guitar (7), dulcimer (7), cymbals (7), Wurlitzer (8), bells (8), vibraphone (8), piano (8), celeste (8), glockenspiel (8), chimes (8), acoustic guitar (8), harmonium (8)
  • Zac Rae - Wurlitzer (1,4), pad (1), tack piano (1), vibraphone (2), Hammond organ (3,4), piano (4)
  • David Rawlings - archtop guitar (1,7), backing vocals (7)
  • Cora Venus Lunny - violin (1-4,7), backing vocals (1,2,7), viola (2,3)
  • Borgar Magnason - double bass (1,3,5,7)
  • Sólrún Sumarliđadóttir - cello (1)
  • Julia Mogensen - cello (1,2,5,6,8)
  • Shahzad Ismaily - bass (1,2,4), drums (6,8), shaker (6), floor tom (7), Hammond organ (8), cymbals (8), crotales (8), Moog (8), cowbell (8)
  • Magnús Trygvason Eliassen - drums (1)
  • Earl Harvin - percussion (1), drums (4), tambourine (4)
  • Helgi Jónsson - trombone (1,2,3,6,8), backing vocals (2)
  • James Gadson - drums (2)
  • Alex Somers - sampler (2-4,8), bass drum (3), sub bass (3), harp (4)
  • Deron Johnson - piano (2,3), Hammond organ (1)
  • Tina Dico - backing vocals (2)
  • Bryndis Halla Gylfadottir - cello (3,4)
  • Frank Aarnink - tympani (3), gong (3), cymbals (3)
  • Una Sveinbjarnardottir - violin (5,6,8), viola (8)
  • Markéta Irglová - piano (6), vocals (8)
  • Gyda Valtisdottir - cello (6,8), backing vocals (8)
  • Victor Indrizzo - drums (7)
  • Marlana Sheetz - backing vocals (1,8)
  • Andrew Heringer - backing vocals (7)
  • Robbie Arnett - backing vocals (7,8)
  • Rónán Ó Snodaigh - bodhran (7), backing vocals (7)
  • Colm Ó Snodaigh - tin whistle (7)
  • Emil Friđfinnsson - French horn (8)
Old 11-10-2014, 05:03 PM   #104
mandarific
Eskimo Regular

Okay...you guys have been killing me for days because I was waiting for our copy to get here to hear the best quality and didn't wanna listen to a bootleg, but we finally put on the digital version that came last night (the deluxe ed should be here today!) and just oh. my gosh. NO WORDS. NO words. And I'm really glad I managed to stave off listening to the other recordings of some of these songs for that long, LOL.

We just got done with listening to it straight through (including Camarillas) so I still have some first impressions on the brain -- though I will say the very first song I went back to listen to again after we were done was Trusty and True. I think I'm going to be looping that one a lot!

- My Favourite Faded Fantasy: I think this opens the album really, really well. I do wish I hadn't listened to this one as much as I had, because I think it took away from it, but I still love the song and it's still a beautiful opener.

- It Takes a Lot to Know A Man: This BLEW ME AWAY. It was so strange, and so different, but I loved all nine+ minutes of it. It was a bit weird when I thought it was ending and realized I had like six minutes left, but it still just hit me in a good way. I loved it.

- The Greatest Bastard: I absolutely love this 'finished version;' (spoilers, I think I loved everything on this album) -- it was really interesting to see it go from the live recordings we had to what it is now, and it's still one of my favorite songs.

- I Don't Want to Change You: Loved it when I first heard it, still loved it.

- Colour Me In: I just had to go back and listen to this one because apparently Trusty and True made such an impression on me that I completely forgot what this sounded like...I do really like this song, I think it's the first time on the album I started to hear the "optimism" from Trusty and True, but I do really like this one.

- The Box: Still like this song, but it was strange hearing it "finished!" I think I prefer the live versions.

- Trusty And True: You know what I don't even have enough words for this song. It was amazing, beautiful, and all I could think while listening to it was that I wanted to hear it as a closer to a concert with Glen and Marketa and Lisa and everyone playing/singing along the same way Glen does Auld Triangle. It hit me right in the feels, as the kids say these days.

- Long Long Way: I really wasn't sure what to expect here; Trusty sounded like such an album closer so I was a little emotionally overwhelmed by the time this one came on LOL. I do really like the "Cold Water Rework" aspect of it, though it's still kind of a strange song to me. I still really liked it, regardless, but it might be my least favorite on the album (which isn't saying much because I still thought it was great.)

As for the bonus track, Camarillas, WOW WOW WOW did I love that one. My only complaint was that it seemed to end really abruptly??? But other than that it was great and really felt like a "b-side" to compliment the rest of the album.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go catch up on the 400000 posts I missed while trying to avoid spoilers...and go stalk the UPS guy waiting for my deluxe edition!!!

PS: OMG EMMETT! Many congrats!
mandarific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:12 PM   #105
verenita
... trusty and true ...

it´s so nice and refreshing to get all the fresh excitement once again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarific View Post
(spoilers, I think I loved everything on this album)
lol! i totally get you... and i got kind of the same feeling about trusty and true and colour me in... give a long long way another go (i´m sure you´ve done already and you will... endlessly ), it´s just blown minded!
Old 11-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #106
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien lisa View Post
Personnel[edit]
Damien Rice – vocals, acoustic guitar (1-8), electric guitar (1), piano (1,2,4-7), clarinet (1,8), tambourine (1), sounds & percussion (2), pump organ (5,6), bass (7,8), harmonium (8)
Joel Shearer - crotales (1,8), tambourine (1), shaker (1), electric guitar swells (1), bass (2,6,7), sounds & percussion (2), electric guitar (2,4,8), cuatro (7), muted guitar (7), dulcimer (7), cymbals (7), Wurlitzer (8), bells (8), vibraphone (8), piano (8), celeste (8), glockenspiel (8), chimes (8), acoustic guitar (8), harmonium (8)
Zac Rae - Wurlitzer (1,4), pad (1), tack piano (1), vibraphone (2), Hammond organ (3,4), piano (4)
David Rawlings - archtop guitar (1,7), backing vocals (7)
Cora Venus Lunny - violin (1-4,7), backing vocals (1,2,7), viola (2,3)
Borgar Magnason - double bass (1,3,5,7)
Sólrún Sumarliđadóttir - cello (1)
Julia Mogensen - cello (1,2,5,6,8)
Shahzad Ismaily - bass (1,2,4), drums (6,8), shaker (6), floor tom (7), Hammond organ (8), cymbals (8), crotales (8), Moog (8), cowbell (8)
Magnús Trygvason Eliassen - drums (1)
Earl Harvin - percussion (1), drums (4), tambourine (4)
Helgi Jónsson - trombone (1,2,3,6,8), backing vocals (2)
James Gadson - drums (2)
Alex Somers - sampler (2-4,8), bass drum (3), sub bass (3), harp (4)
Deron Johnson - piano (2,3), Hammond organ (1)
Tina Dico - backing vocals (2)
Bryndis Halla Gylfadottir - cello (3,4)
Frank Aarnink - tympani (3), gong (3), cymbals (3)
Una Sveinbjarnardottir - violin (5,6,8), viola (8)
Markéta Irglová - piano (6), vocals (8)
Gyda Valtisdottir - cello (6,8), backing vocals (8)
Victor Indrizzo - drums (7)
Marlana Sheetz - backing vocals (1,8)
Andrew Heringer - backing vocals (7)
Robbie Arnett - backing vocals (7,8)
Rónán Ó Snodaigh - bodhran (7), backing vocals (7)
Colm Ó Snodaigh - tin whistle (7)
Emil Friđfinnsson - French horn (8)

^ thats a mighty large payroll lol
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #107
Pouline
Eskimo Baby

Okay, after a week of non stop listening (+ a gig in between), here are my thoughts:

* MFFF: Loved it from the very start, great album opener but like some of you, I think maybe listening to it too much beforehand kinda lessen my reaction when listening to it with the album. Still, one of my favourites.

* ITALTKAM: I don't dislike it, but I don't love it either. I think I need to listen to it more for it to grow on me. I find it too long for a 2nd track... :/

* TGB: Beautiful beautiful beautiful. But kind of the same reaction as for MFFF, maybe I listened to it too much beforehand... But I love all of it, the music, the lyrics, the rawness of it...

* IDWTCY: I liked it better in the album than outside of it. It was my least favourite of the 3 songs that came out before the album but I think it comes out better in the middle of the other songs.

* Colour Me In: Typical Damien song, love it!

* The Box: never gave a really good listen to this one before. I heard it live but somehow I was not carried away like with the other songs. It took a couple listenings but now I love it.

* T&T: The biggest surprise for me. I find it wonderful because I was not expecting this kind of song. It's so different from typical Damien's songs and yet similar at the same time. I love the double male vocals (sorry I don't know how to say it in english), it doesn't happen very often in his songs. And the whole "Irishness" of it. Also, great song to end a gig.

* Long Long Way: It still has to grow on me a bit, but I like it. I love the opening lyrics. When I first listened to it, I was in bed and kinda drifting away and when I reached the "Cold Water" moment of the song, it literally woke me up and for a second I thought I accidentally changed the track by mistake. In addition to Cold Water, it also reminds me a bit of Cheers Darling in the end with the clinking of glasses and the clarinet...

* Camarillas: still waiting for my DL link...
Pouline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:01 PM   #108
damien lisa
am i breaking u

more info http://www.discogs.com/Damien-Rice-M...elease/6264126

so the vocal:

1 My Favourite Faded Fantasy (ft Cora Venus Lunny, Marlana Sheetz)
2 It Takes A Lot To Know A Man (ft Cora Venus Lunny, Helgi Jónsson, Tina Dico)
3 The Greatest Bastard (ft Dana Nielsen)
4 I Don't Want To Change You
5 Colour Me In
6 The Box
7 Trusty And True (ft David Rawlings, Cora Venus Lunny, Andrew Heringer, Robbie Arnett, Rónán Ó Snodaigh, Marlana Sheetz)
8 Long Long Way (ft Markéta Irglová, Gyda Valtisdottir, Marlana Sheetz, Robbie Arnett)
Old 11-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #109
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Vyvienne got no credits at all though we know she flew to LA in the beginning of the year and made some recordings. At least Joel is on almost every track.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:42 PM   #110
verenita
... trusty and true ...

apparently, she played on the demos, as he thanked her for that it´s on the first line or the second of the acknowledgments.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #111
mandarific
Eskimo Regular

I've been thinking a lot about why trusty wasn't the last track, but after listening to him talk at the show last night and listening to the album again and reading these interviews about him going to record album 4 straight away, I feel like it's that trusty IS kind of the end of the album, and long long way is actually the start of something "new." Like trusty gets out everything from the past, all the negativity, and the "OK let's start over from here." So he does start over, with Long long way, and we sort of have a glimpse at what's to come.

Maybe me thinking about it too much, but after hearing him talk about trusty at the show last night it kind of put its position on the album in a different context to me.
mandarific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:46 AM   #112
damien lisa
am i breaking u

The Gloaming win Meteor Choice Music Prize 2014 ‘Album of the Year’