Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 10-27-2011, 05:04 AM   #1
QueenOfTheSouth
Eskimo Friend

Default Possible Damien & Lisa Reunion at Mic's Tribute Show?

For the unaware, Glen and The Frames are hosting a special tribute gig to the great Mic Christopher on November 29 in Ireland, commemorating the 10 year anniversary of his death.

http://www.facebook.com/theframesofficial
"we want to sing his songs. we want to gather together with friends and remember."

I can just imagine the luminaries who will be at this show, all those who have had the fortune to cross paths with Mic. This being a Damien Rice fan site, I thought it'd be important to point out the possibility of Damien and Lisa also contributing on that night.

Damien is doing who knows what these days, but I can't imagine him turning down an offer from Glen. Lisa is on tour, but doesn't have a show on the 29th. This is all wild speculations but I can't help but envision what 5 years apart can do to heal the wounds in their relationship. But most importantly, that they'll allow the undying legacy of Mic's memories help them to rediscover the friendship that they once had.

"'Cause we can make our heyday last forever
And ain't that what it's all about
Oh living, in our own terrible way."

Last edited by QueenOfTheSouth; 10-27-2011 at 05:57 AM.
QueenOfTheSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:07 AM   #2
Rai
Eskimontologist

I think five years is way to early to forgive the epic douchebaggery of the Munich sound check. Anything is way to early, really.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:10 AM   #3
Agent99
Eskimo Regular

I thought about this too... I wonder if they wouldn't do it, if for no other reason, because it would become more about them than Mic, you know?

I have a feeling Lisa will be there and Damien will not.
Agent99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
cille
creepycute

^^ Haha really? You a tough cookie Rai. Your bitterness doesn't go stale very fast.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:06 PM
mariaoran
This message has been deleted by mariaoran.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:36 PM
mariaoran
This message has been deleted by mariaoran.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille View Post
^^ Haha really? You a tough cookie Rai. Your bitterness doesn't go stale very fast.

ha, i thought kind of the same...

but all i can think of is that there´s a huge possibility for me to go to that gig! (sorry for this nothing-more-than-selfish comment), whoever shows up to sing along.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:02 PM   #6
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Actually, I'm not bitter. I'm happy that Lisa has gotten out of the "background floozie to Damien" trap (that was filled rather quickly with another poor puppet girl)

I just think that what was done to Lisa in Munich was so hideous that I couldn't consider any perpetrator of such act, be it Joss Whedon or even David Attenborough as anything but the lowest scum, without a chance of redemption.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Old 10-27-2011, 10:45 PM   #7
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i truly hope you´re only joking, rai... but i assume that you´re not, aren´t you?
Old 10-29-2011, 03:03 AM   #8
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

imo it would lovely to see lisa and damien together again,! Life is too short to hold grudges and bad feelings towards someone that meant much to You at one time..

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:23 AM   #9
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Actually, I'm not bitter. I'm happy that Lisa has gotten out of the "background floozie to Damien" trap (that was filled rather quickly with another poor puppet girl)

I just think that what was done to Lisa in Munich was so hideous that I couldn't consider any perpetrator of such act, be it Joss Whedon or even David Attenborough as anything but the lowest scum, without a chance of redemption.
Firefly Joss? What'd he do?
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #10
cille
creepycute

^He didn't - I think that's Rai's point: Even if a person he regards very higly, such as the aforementioned, did what Damien did, bla bla bla.

I dunno, in my experience, people are assholes, but they are assholes for reasons, and if those reasons are examined etc., there is room for forgiveness. Like someone else said, life's too short.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #11
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
I dunno, in my experience, people are assholes, but they are assholes for reasons, and if those reasons are examined etc., there is room for forgiveness. Like someone else said, life's too short.

i think the quite the same, that why i was concern about what rai said (sorry rai). it´s too extreme, imo, and forgiveness is one the most beautiful gifts for a human being.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:58 PM   #12
mandarific
Eskimo Regular

I do think it would be really neat if they were performing at the same show, even if not together.

I've also sort of thought it would be nice of Damien to open for Lisa sometime; it'd be sort of humbling, you know? I'd be interested to see if he went first to introduce her or something. You never know.
mandarific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #13
Cerque
Resident Irishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post

well...what exactly did he do? Exactly? I wanna judge it for myself.
Cerque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #14
hazey
Draper's Girl Friday

Surely, commemorating and honouring a friend would be the only thing that matters on that day. They can be in the same room for *that*, right? Besides, they can perform separately from each other.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #15
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerque View Post
Kicked a band member out between the concert and the sound check in a foreign country for no legitimate reason. His ego was most probably involved, otherwise the whole band wouldn't have done a Guns n' Roses on him and bail at the first possible moment to join Lisa.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:58 PM   #16
Agent99
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerque View Post
Have you read his Hot Press interview from Dec 2009? He goes in depth about the whole thing. Between that and what Lisa's said, you get a good idea of what happened. But of course all we have to go on is what they say - the rest is speculation.
Agent99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:15 PM   #17
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarific View Post
I do think it would be really neat if they were performing at the same show, even if not together.

I've also sort of thought it would be nice of Damien to open for Lisa sometime; it'd be sort of humbling, you know? I'd be interested to see if he went first to introduce her or something. You never know.
as far as you saying damien opening for Lisa, you mean more hypothetically or situational, and No disresepect to Lisa, But she will never be what damien is/was, even if Damien never records another record (not unlikely)....all her music is good, but she lacks the 'big songs' damien has and Live performance quality and i dont think she is capable of it...
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:44 PM   #18
Brandinian
Toffee Popper

I'd really hope that they'd be able to put aside their differences for one night. Damien dedicated "O" to Mic, so I'd assume that they were as least somewhat close. I'd really love to hear a Damien/Lisa duet on "What A Curious Notion" although I doubt it'd ever happen.

I'm worried that Lisa might not want to play at a same show as Damien though for fear of being still group in with him or living in his shadow. Either way, I'd love for them both to play. It's not about them or their fight, it's about Mic.
Brandinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:33 AM   #19
Joyful
Eskimama

My guess is that Damien and Lisa will both be there and it will all be just fine. No drama, just good music.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:40 AM   #20
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
My guess is that Damien and Lisa will both be there and it will all be just fine. No drama, just good music.
amen
Old 10-30-2011, 09:25 PM   #21
radiohead33
Eskimo Regular

according to the lisa hot press interview her and damien have spoken since munich and since that 2009 interview where damien pledged his undying love to her.

i dont think i would be here if i didnt love and respect damien. he created 2 albums of breathtaking beauty, with O being one of the best albums of the 2000's, and he is in my view among the leading lights in terms of songwriters and lyricists of our generation.

that said, i think you can respect and admire the guys work and still consider him a jerk. From Munich on, i maintained he kicked her out. and i was met on this board, by people who acted like i was ignorant of the suituation and that she left on her own, she asked to leave, that she quit etc...

when it came out that damien not only kicked her out, but did so in a manner that haunts him to this day, i think the truth came to light.

damien according to hot press, had long grown to loath lisa. i found and find it odd, bizaare and completely insane of damien, to fire her a few minutes before the munich gig. both lisa and damien confirm this is what happened. A few minutes before show time, he fired her. Lisa was crying in the hallway.

What makes little sense to me, and never did, was why he waited until 5 minutes before to let her know. He's admitted he had grown tired of her, and detested her, and they were fighting, and it seems illogical that 5 minutes before the show, he suddenly realizes he doesnt want her in the band. Why didnt he tell her the week prior. Or the night before that gig? Why wait until 5 minutes prior to taking the stage? Or better yet, if he felt like he didnt want her in the band, and in fact did come to that realization during soundcheck, why not play the show, and then afterwords talk to her? The way he went about it, the manner in which he went about it was rude, and outrageous.

The fact they have been talking is good news. But i think it would be hard for anyone, even someone as even tempered and serene as lisa to forgive and forget what damien did.

Many of us on this board, were upset when lisa was fired, as she was as important to the band as damien is. And i think its telling that even damien realizes this now.

I think its one of those things he will regret for the rest of his life, sadly. And i dont see them getting back together as a couple either, supposedly the lightbody romance ended, and she's dating some comedian now.
radiohead33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #22
radiohead33
Eskimo Regular

"put aside their differences"? really? That statement suggests and implies both parties were angry at one another and upset. This issue has always been damiens bag. He fired her. he did so in an unprofessional and arrogant, and non courteous manner. She was fired. Lisa has gone on with her life. Musically, romantically... Damien is the one, who is tied up in that time period. The fact that what he did haunts him, and he views it as an epic blunder on his part, even going as far as to say he'd give it all up to have her back, suggests someone who acted in an evil manner and now has realized he blew it.

if they reunite on this night musicially, as i said theyve already been speaking on the phone, but if they reunite, it will because damien has changed, not that lisa has changed. As brilliant and important as damien is, i'd find it hard to forgive what he did if i was in lisas shoes. He could have fired her in a million other more kind ways, and the pangs of guilt and regret he feels only illuminate this.

Damien was the issue.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:56 PM   #23
radiohead33
Eskimo Regular

ive also long wondered if tomo, shane, vyvienne, were witness to what damien did, and if there was a sense for those guys of choosing sides, if damien felt angry tomo and shane joined lisas band, and if vyvienne felt angry she had to perform with damien, if she sided with lisa,
Old 10-30-2011, 10:25 PM   #24
glo32
Eskimo Regular

radiohead33, you're talking like you know what happened between them.
i don't want to talk about this too much, as these things are personal and should stay between damien and lisa (I wish they didn't bring it to newspapers in the first place) but if you're so sure of the things you're saying, I think you should go and read that hotpress interview again. Damien never said he hated her or anything like that. They used to fight a lot (and if you ever broke up with a girlfriend and tried to stay friends then you know it's not always easy) and that last time in Munich, they had a fight and Damien "lost his mind" and fired her. He probably regretted it a minute later, and THAT'S why it still haunts him (if it still 'haunts' him, of course).

Anyway, I can't believe people are taking sides on this situation. We don't know what really happened. Some people think we know what happened because of that hotpress interview, but we actually know nothing, we don't know what Damien and Lisa went through in all those years of being forced to be together, we don't know what they felt when the other one was having a new relationship, and most important, we don't really know Damien and Lisa that well, temperamentally speaking, in order to judge from a distance what has happened.
So please stop judging Damien for what he said or Lisa for getting in touch with him again and all. All this "she should never forgive him" and "i'd find it hard to forgive what he did if i was in lisas shoes" is just nonsense, you're judging the private relationship between two people you don't know.
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:39 PM   #25
fersen
in Paris...

Glo 32 : wisdom
fersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:02 PM   #26
Joyful
Eskimama

Well said glo!!
Old 10-30-2011, 11:29 PM   #27
radiohead33
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by glo32 View Post
i don't want to talk about this too much, as these things are personal and should stay between damien and lisa (I wish they didn't bring it to newspapers in the first place) but if you're so sure of the things you're saying, I think you should go and read that hotpress interview again. Damien never said he hated her or anything like that. They used to fight a lot (and if you ever broke up with a girlfriend and tried to stay friends then you know it's not always easy) and that last time in Munich, they had a fight and Damien "lost his mind" and fired her. He probably regretted it a minute later, and THAT'S why it still haunts him (if it still 'haunts' him, of course).

Anyway, I can't believe people are taking sides on this situation. We don't know what really happened. Some people think we know what happened because of that hotpress interview, but we actually know nothing, we don't know what Damien and Lisa went through in all those years of being forced to be together, we don't know what they felt when the other one was having a new relationship, and most important, we don't really know Damien and Lisa that well, temperamentally speaking, in order to judge from a distance what has happened.
So please stop judging Damien for what he said or Lisa for getting in touch with him again and all. All this "she should never forgive him" and "i'd find it hard to forgive what he did if i was in lisas shoes" is just nonsense, you're judging the private relationship between two people you don't know.

oh course it still haunts him. the hot press interview made it very clear he would give up everything to be with lisa. thats pretty much a direct quote. you dont say that unless you have major regrets and stuff haunting you.

second, we do know what happened. it was clear from the word go after the munich show. i personally, and you can pull my posts from 2007 up, said she was fired, a few minutes before the show. this was in 2007. people were in denial, just like you are now. People didnt want to believe he fired her, so the theory espoused by others on the board, not myself, was that she left on her own, which oddly never explained why she was crying in the hallway if she left on her own volition, and why she chose 5 minutes before to quit.

i think the whole point was that what damien did was creepy. i dont think we should treat others how he treated lisa. Theres no excuse for firing someone in the manner he did.

As i said, its his bag. he chose to fire her. he chose to express his feelings to the world and say he wanted her back, and i would guess the fact he hasnt released another album since the breakup, suggests to me, that the breakup of the relationship and the fallout had major consequences on damien.

No we dont know what happened that day in Munich, you dont either, and anyone else on this board, EVERYONE else, knows nothing as well. All we know is, that damien fired lisa, she was fired 5 minutes before showtime, she was fired on the spot and without prior notice, and we know since then, damien has regretted what he did, and still loves her, and that he hasnt released an album in 5 years.

I think we can deduce enough from the situation to have our opinions and views on the issue. There were people on this board saying she got fired, in the munich show review in 2007, only to be shot down by gobs of people saying ridiculous stuff like "she left on her own, she wanted to leave, he'd never fire her"!

Your same statement applies elsewhere. We dont know damien and lisa and dont really know what happened, then why make this thread? no one here knows damien or lisa, and no one here is involved in the show planning, so its all sort of theory and conjecture right?

lastly, i find it hard to believe anyone wouldnt come away from the damien hot press interview with the feelings that, a he still loves her, and b he felt what he did was the worst thing he's done in a long time, maybe ever and that he shouldnt have fired her.

Not really seeing how this is a debateable thing.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:33 PM   #28
radiohead33
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by glo32 View Post

not really seeing how your account of munich is differing from mine? damien fired her, 5 minutes before the show, he fired her, and now regrets it.

that differs from my account in what way?

Im not really backing down from my original argument. we can all admire artists and should. but that doesnt take away from the fact they are human, make mistakes, do mean things, are mean, rude, jerks, arrogant etc...

that makes them human.

Im perfectly happy, and content with dealing with the reality of the situation, in a grown up manner. damien is a jerk, hard to get along with, and is quite rude. But he's also created some of the most stunning music of the 2000's.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:46 PM   #29
Samart
Nothing unusual...

Holy little jaysus at Halloween (yeah, it's halloween! ) !
We are not some trash people magazine down here, are we ?

Judging like this and saying bad words about what He did to her, or what she did not do to him or the friends who are her side, so that's why he must have been very rude or not, don't have the place to be here. Not even in italic or small fonts.

You can't proove C with A+B if you don't know A or B. And if you don't know A & B, just don't even try. Just go R'NB and go listen to Lauryn Hill.
Samart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:46 PM   #30
radiohead33
Eskimo Regular

and yeah i still take issue with the settle their differences idea. i dont think lisa and damien mutually agreed, and smiled, prior to the munich show that, "hey i dont really think i want you in this band anymore". Anyone who thinks it went down like that is living in lala land. Munich wasnt a happy moment for them, and it sure didnt end in smiles and hugging on their part. its silly to talk about the incident like it was some ordinary moment or something. it obviously involved crying and anger.

all im saying is, damien can do what he likes. and lisa as well. i just think, there is a more dignified, moral and ethical way to fire someone, or kick someone out of a band.

And its clear it devastated lisa. she's spoken on it, not in a lengthy manner numerous times, and you can sense her dismay about it, whenever she's interviewed and someone mentions damiens name. it hurt. it was a painful event in lisas life.

its sort of like if you have a job you like. the job fires you, without notice, and you are told in a very harsh, rude manner. and then 5 years down the line, you see the boss of that job at the grocery store, and the boss says, "how are you" and is smiling and happy, and the boss says "i'd love for you to come back and work for the company again". this isnt a perfect analogy, as there isnt any indication damien wants her back in the band, but i do think it shows the conflicted feelings one might have about the situation. you'd feel angry, bitter, upset, sad, but also maybe want to come back.
Your memories of loving the job would be overshadowed by the anger you felt at your firing without notice.

the fact you never called the boss and job back to see if they would rehire you, wasnt your fault. you were fired. it was the jobs decision to fire you.

it wasnt lisa stonewalling all these years, how could she? she was the victim here. it was damien who acted childishly, and then spent years, ruminating and came to the conclusion many of us already knew: the biggest mistake of his music career was getting rid of lisa. how could lisa have fired herself? he fired her