Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 08-31-2006, 02:14 AM   #31
tywy
Eskimo Regular

i recorded accidental babies on my phone but the sound it ****...got some nice photos though.

i love accidental babies, what a class song! I was in the front row too. SUCH A GOOD GIG!
tywy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:17 AM   #32
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

its not an unspoken rule, its just that apperently that last ngiht he was getting pissed off abt it....

plus its annoying when all i can see is a big phone with a bright light right in front of ur face
Old 08-31-2006, 02:21 AM   #33
Timeé
Intello

when all you or all damien can see???

jeesh
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:22 AM   #34
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

agh..my head is wrecked...fúcking wrecked......fúck sake my head has been done in.

im off
Old 08-31-2006, 02:26 AM   #35
tywy
Eskimo Regular

i wasn't holding my phone up, I just rested it on the barrier so I wasn't blocking anyone else...

it's nice to have a couple of photos of the gig but ffs would people quit using their flash!
Old 08-31-2006, 02:28 AM   #36
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

^ that i have no problem with, im not targeting u

but its not like im mrs rule maker

im just fúcking pissed off
Old 08-31-2006, 02:37 AM   #37
Timeé
Intello

sorry if i made your night a misery. i could have been worse though.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:27 AM   #38
tywy
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pink
^ that i have no problem with, im not targeting u

but its not like im mrs rule maker

im just fúcking pissed off
I know what you mean...it is annoying when it's getting in the way of everyone else.

The thing I hate the most is the heckling! and people singing along loudly when Damien is playing quietly...I dunno I think I was just spoiled by going to see him before he got big and had the luxury of most people sitting in awe of him rather than singing along with him....
Old 08-31-2006, 09:41 AM   #39
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeé
fionn was reallly good. he started off and you could see obviously fairly quickly that he was getting annoyed at people talking down the back.
I found it hugely ironic that he gave out about the crowd talking before a song called "Be Good or Be Gone". Man he was awful.

Anyway back to Damien...

The song Vyv played is a Flaming Lips song called Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots. We also got a new song which from what I can make out from the lyrics is maybe called "Crying Shame". Which reminds me: according to Tomo the official titles of the other 2 songs are "Rat Within The Grain" and "Coconut Skins".

Was surprised not to hear Then Go either night. I got the impression from people at the US shows that he was playing it more or less every night. Oh well...
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:01 AM   #40
dandylittledreamer
Eskimo Friend

Last night was amazing
Damien seemed in a good mood, was going on about sticking stuff up your ass for quite a while!
I recorded a lot of it up to the second chorus of eskimo (my recording device had no more space after that), i left it in my pocket on the whole time, turned out pretty good!
have the bit about the fan and some of his 'song' explanations recorded

Didnt think the crowd were too bad, except a girl behind me who wanted everyone to dance the whole time

He played a really 'rock' style song I had never heard before, Vyv and the violinist (sorry i dont know here name) were headbangin and dancing to it! anyone know the name?

Really really loved Coconut Skin, something special bout it

i was about 1 person away from the barrier, right in the middle, right infront of damien, it really was amazing, didnt want it to end!

Timeé by any chance were u the guy in a stripey top? i think you were infront of me ... maybe not!

I've always loved Damien, I used to be completely obsessed by his music a few years ago, last night really proved to me how amazing he is, he's so passionate, it's great to see
loved at the very end how he jumped up like a 'rockstar', lisa was even laughing

setlist

blowers daughter part 2
amie
the professeur
volcano
me my yoke and I
'i dont want to eat the old tomatoes...' leading into Delicate
(damien talked bout how hot it was, and how the only thing to do was to get hotter!!) Woman like a man
Nine Crimes
Cheers Darlin'
Coconut Skin
Eskimo (Damien explained what the song was about, people who stand by you, mothers are good at it, people who stay on ur side even if u do something illegal ...)

thats all i got recorded, cant really remember the order after that, something like this... maybe!?

lisa's solo
vyv and the violinist
vyv on piano - 'my name is ????, i've a blackbelt in karate' flaming lips cover
accidental babies
blowers daughter
rootless trees
other new song, opening line about missing his plane
I remember (2nd part)

im pretty sure i've missed somethin else too ... hope someone can help!

Last edited by dandylittledreamer; 08-31-2006 at 11:31 AM.
dandylittledreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:31 AM   #41
Banjaxed
Eskimo Regular

He definitely played all these and a few others.

BD2
Amie
The Professor
Volcano
WLAM
9 Crimes
Me my yoke and I
Delicate (with old tomatoes intro)
Coconut Skins
Eskimo
Rootless Tree
Cheers Darlin
Canonball
--Encore--
Accidental Babies
Cora and Vyv
Vyv - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
I remember (2nd half)
Unknown (maybe cover, simple song about love and truth)
Blowers Daughter

I'm surprised to see that everyone else here enjoyed it so much. I wasn't that impressed to be honest. I've been to loads of Damo gigs and this wasn't really a memorable one.

The old songs are still great, but I think I'm tiring of hearing them live at this stage. They've barely changed in the last couple of years. I'm so sick of the spaceship ending to Amie.

Of the new songs, none of them have really grabbed me. Nine crimes is excellent but it's certainly not new. BD2 is one of the best of the new (I mean post-"O") songs, but there's nothing that matches the quality of Volcano or I Remember live. Accidental babies is fairly powerful, but I find it too verbose and musically too thin, I hope there'll be more to it on the album. Coconut Skins was mediocre and I don't think it would've made it onto "O".

I thought Joel Shearer was pretty good and I'm sure Cora Venus Lunny was too, but couldn't hear her violin too well (probably just me not being able to pick out the instrument - I'll never be an orchestra conductor). I would've loved to hear both of them add a solo to the older songs - just for a change.

There were the usual Vicar St problems (more down the back) with idiots shouting stuff. Mostly young scumbag blokes showing off to the girls that were with them. But even apart from that the gig didn't really stand out.

It was still way better than most of the rubbish out there, but for a Damien Rice gig, I'd give it 5/10.

Last edited by Banjaxed; 08-31-2006 at 11:35 AM.
Banjaxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 12:08 PM   #42
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandylittledreamer
Timeé by any chance were u the guy in a stripey top? i think you were infront of me ... maybe not!
yep that was me . You and your friend kept losing your shoes.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:08 PM   #43
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjaxed
He definitely played all these and a few others.

Coconut Skins was mediocre and I don't think it would've made it onto "O".

I thought Joel Shearer was pretty good and I'm sure Cora Venus Lunny was too, but couldn't hear her violin too well (probably just me not being able to pick out the instrument - I'll never be an orchestra conductor). I would've loved to hear both of them add a solo to the older songs - just for a change.
i agree with you i dont like coconut skins..i just dont get it at all....

joel was good, i liked him, as did i like cora venus looney...i felt a bit embarraassed for her tho, she wore a skirt/dress, but she forgot that she couldnt sit with one leg east and one leg west...good job it was dark
Old 08-31-2006, 03:57 PM   #44
dandylittledreamer
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeé
yep that was me . You and your friend kept losing your shoes.
nope that wasnt me! i was kinda behind them! my phone went off during lisa's solo (sorry!) im pretty sure u gave me a (dirty) look at that stage ... i was beside the girl that kept shouting and dancing
i want to go back, it was so much fun

i really really loved coconut skin, i think it's a lovely song, whats not to get?
Old 08-31-2006, 04:08 PM   #45
Tommy
Chilly Eskimo

I thought it was a great gig well worth flying over for.

People in the crowd and im not talking about the usual rabble im talking about people who think there the almighty guardians of Damien Rice annoyed me at times though.

But yeah it was an awesome set and a fantastic gig although Lisa was blatently stoned out of her face for the entire set

And Timee i love hugs and so do all English people next time come hug me instead and I wont get up my own arse about it.

Thom
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:25 PM   #46
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

ah fúck off tommy....we all have our own boundries and being hugged randomly out of the blue by some one i dont no and hapen to be standting beside crosses my boundries, get over it.

timmy has admitted he was wrong, so just get over it...

i thought we were over this..

as for coconut..i dont no i just dont really follow it..i dont understand it.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:37 PM   #47
Tommy
Chilly Eskimo

Dont tell me to fu ck off, like its a big deal if someone hugged you.

Timee wasnt in the wrong if you dont like it thats your problem but its not like Timee even did anything. And people annoyed me by trying to tell people how they should enjoy the gig, if they want to take pictures lets them take pictures especially without a flash, if they want to sing let them sing.

And yeah that Fionn guy annoyed me when he told people to stop talking, hes a support act so he should be grateful that anyone is listening at all who is he to tell people how they should spend their time.

Thom
Old 08-31-2006, 04:38 PM   #48
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

i just gotta listen to it more and read the lyrics, but its no volcano or fool or insane
Old 08-31-2006, 04:42 PM   #49
Tommy
Chilly Eskimo

I really like Coconut, its not like its the first time that Damiens been obscure in his songs. The thing that impressed me the most last night is that I absoulouty love ''O'' but i found myself enjoying the songs of it the least, I just love all his new and not so new stuff that isnt on that album. He has so much material and so much talent its nearly annoying :P

Thom
Old 08-31-2006, 04:47 PM   #50
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

Aaaghhh

I Dont Like Being Hugged By Strangers. Timmy Is A Stranger To Me. Never Tlked To Him Before In My Life Bar Teeny Chit Chat Waiting For The Bands.

Hugging Ppl Isnt A Big Deal Just Being Hugged By Ppl You Dont Know Is To Me.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:51 PM   #51
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pink
Aaaghhh

I Dont Like Being Hugged By Strangers. Timmy Is A Stranger To Me. Never Tlked To Him Before In My Life Bar Teeny Chit Chat Waiting For The Bands.

Hugging Ppl Isnt A Big Deal Just Being Hugged By Ppl You Dont Know Is To Me.
You were the girl who stole the taxi off us weren't you (I was the tall guy with the orange tee) ?
Dean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:51 PM   #52
Tommy
Chilly Eskimo

Nice Use Of Capital Letters In That Reply
Old 08-31-2006, 05:24 PM   #53
dandylittledreamer
Eskimo Friend

Miss Pink, i agree with you, I wouldnt be all that comfortable to a stranger hugging me, although everyone's different, some people wouldnt care less!

anyone get any pictures or videos or anything from lastnights gig?
i only have live recordings, camera's annoy me at gigs, altho i admit i do like seeing pics etc afterwards ..... anyone have any please?
Old 08-31-2006, 05:32 PM   #54
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean C
You were the girl who stole the taxi off us weren't you (I was the tall guy with the orange tee) ?
lol i stole no taxi...i was 1st there and every 1 else got a taxi before me...so wen i got mine i was like "i'll be fooked if im not going to get in this one"

were u the chap that was running all over the place for one?
Old 08-31-2006, 05:33 PM   #55
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

as for the caps thing the whole post was in caps and when i posted it IT WENT LIKE THIS.

dandy, thank you. hugs from strangers, not ok...hugs from ppl u no..ok....
Old 08-31-2006, 06:09 PM   #56
Oisin
How Do U Keep Love Alive?

I gonna get abuse over this but if I see one more post about hugs i'll explode; go start a hugs thread!

The gig was savage, I loved the new stuff more and liked the new arrangments of the old post 'O' material with Joel etc. The old songs were great to but he's been playing those for four years and this is the 4th time I've seen him over that time preiod, I had hoped for a treasure trove of new new material ie stuff that he was saving for the new album and this being a pre-album tour I thought he would be introducing it last night! That was the only thing that bothered me. Other than that I was so happy throughout the gig I can't wait till the Picnic it gonna be brilliant!!

Photos coming soon..........

What, what are the words
They use when they know it's over
"We need to talk," or
"I'm confused, maybe later you can come over"

Ryan Adams
Oisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:12 PM   #57
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

i too will explode....i feel the same oisin
Old 08-31-2006, 06:31 PM   #58
god
Eskimo Baby

I have a few things to say.

Firstly to the guy from NORWAY last night that sold me his ticket for cost price, YOU ARE A TRUE ESKIMO even though you aren't a member on here. For the record crew, he tried to sell his ticket on the DAMIEN RICE forum for the last 2 days and got no offers at all. Wherever that is, I told him to get on here in future.

To the guy that cut my grass on buying a ticket, that was fine at first when you and your lady missed the show the night before. However to do it again an hour later and tried to tell this guy above that I was a tout and would sell if for $100 EUR is un-ethical. The fact you call yourself a DAMIEN RICE fan is a shame to his fans. You were nothing short of arrogant and unhonest last night. As I believe in KARMA I am sure yours will be coming. If you are on this list I would like to hear your defence in regard to this matter as I am sure there isn't one.

Now to the fans. I went the night before and I consider myself a bit of a musical conniseur (however you spell it). I see probably 200 gigs a year and have been watching live music for over 20 years now. I am currently on a round the world trip purposely to watch live music. I just spent 4 months in the USA doing as many festivals and gigs as I could and yes, I caught Damien with Fionna.

Well I was mighty impressed with the show the 1st night however he was very quiet and submissive as mentioned on this group yesterday. Don't get me wrong, the show was outstanding.

Last nights show however made the 1st night look like a BRITTANY SPEARS concert (not that I would ever go to one). The setting, the atmosphere, the sound, the magic of that show will live with me forever. He done a massive repotoire of songs and I couldn't of asked for more. Starting solo was just magical and then having the 3 girls join him before the band was even more impressive.

I knew from the 1st song that we were in for something special. The show just got better and Damien certainly seemed to be more into the gig tonight than last night. I was about 4 deep right in line with Viv.

The encore had no less than 8 songs in it, with 3 being by the girls, each doing a solo. Unlike the night before there were no requests taken and there didn't need to be. He done so much.

Any person that didn't recognise the brilliance of this show last night I believe has a lot to learn about live music. Whether you are a Damien fan or not last nights show was OUTSTANDING. I may never be back in IRELAND but Ireland, Dublin, and Damien are forever scarred into my memory.

LONG LIVE DAMIEN and may he come to AUSTRALIA REAL SOON

gODLY !!!

PS > Stay Real All
god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:49 PM   #59
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

So the second to last song is the one that people referred to as Wanted or Wanted to be Wanted during the US tour??
Is Rat within the Grain the final title?
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:22 PM   #60
tywy
Eskimo Regular

god i think you were standing behind me last night :P I recognised an aussie accent