Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 05-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
mandarific
Eskimo Regular

Default "Child, Man, Silly Dog"

Okay, sooo... I grabbed one of the recordings someone put up (I believe it was 5-22-07?) and it had a version of the Professor with the lyrics "I've been a child, a man, and a silly dog" in the middle of it.

Man, holy crap, I love this so much. I'd absolutely never heard it before and it's quickly bumped up to being one of my favorite Damo songs.

What do we know about this one? Is it a cover? An alternate lyric he just does sometimes? Is it a song all by itself that sometimes just ends up in The Professor?
mandarific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

The last one but it's also one of the most shining, surprising examples of Damo's true genius (I remember very early on when first hearing that title, and GWDY, presumed they would be jokey, unmemorable larks). Few songwriters could do so much with just one minute. Beautiful, sweet, touching, full of sadness, bracingly honest self-examination and aching regret. A quick sketch scrawled by da Vinci in which just a handful of lines depict an entire universe of humanity.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

from the Juniper days, right?
Old 05-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

it's even on YT:

Old 05-19-2012, 05:52 AM   #5
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet View Post
The last one but it's also one of the most shining, surprising examples of Damo's true genius (I remember very early on when first hearing that title, and GWDY, presumed they would be jokey, unmemorable larks). Few songwriters could do so much with just one minute. Beautiful, sweet, touching, full of sadness, bracingly honest self-examination and aching regret. A quick sketch scrawled by da Vinci in which just a handful of lines depict an entire universe of humanity.
^ so true .

is this really from late juniper days.??.thought it was post 2004

happy this 'song' was brought up, I ALWAYS seem to forget this one, this is an unbelieveablt great one, perhaps his best unreleased...it's such a bummer he has so much unreleased materialk that may never be heard outside of here
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
mandarific
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet View Post
Man, such true words.

Something else I like about this one, actually, is how he uses the line "what I give to you is what I'm going through" - it's the same line from Volcano, but it's just totally different given the context. Funny how the tone can change everything.
mandarific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

I don't understand what it means. Help?
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #8
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Interesting that you mention that about Volcano because I've always been similarly struck by the way he masterfully contrasts and cross-references "The gates are closin'/ As I'm frozen/ In time." with the image in Grey Room: "Nothing is lost/ it’s just frozen in frost/And it’s opening time/ there’s no one in line.".

Far from just being a connective thread, with stunning economy this completes an entire arc of a character's growth by filling in the obstensibly eternal gap in which the narrator came to finally recognize that (like the everyman protagonist of "The Pilgrim's Progress") all along he had held the key of promise to release himself from the prison of despair.

While some may dismiss such a concept as inorganic or pat, a common criticism of GR's climactic shift into optimism, the indestructible bulwark against such callow cynicism must be authenticity itself since (as Cervantes before him) the story is derived from Bunyan's own incarcerated plight and triumph over it by the very act of writing which, albeit metaphoric, is essentially the manner in which the melancholic duo of Shakespeare's Dane and Damo did too.

While many writers merely repeat themselves due to laziness or limitation it's a mark of history's greatest artists to re-examine and find entirely new possibilities to build upon or improve what they've previously attempted to say.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #9
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shillelagh View Post
I don't understand what it means. Help?
Which part(s), specifically?