Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 12-15-2003, 07:54 PM   #1
eskimo_friendly
Eskimo Regular

How many of you were there? Where exactly were you sitting?

And if anyone has the words to describe how good last night's gig in Vicar St was then please share them with me. Because I am at a total loss for words[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]</font></font>
eskimo_friendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 08:27 PM   #2
kristine
Eskimo Regular

ohhh...please muster up a few for those of us that need to live vicariously through your concert experience! how was it? review please!

[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2003, 09:07 PM   #3
Loveless
Eskimo Regular

TENACIOUS D.
------------
I shall go to the ball; I shall go to the ball. well well well what an experience that was. the usual adjectives of amazing, brilliant, outstanding; don't seem to do it justice. I guess I won't fully appreciate it until I hear the audience recording when it goes online (what do you mean it isn't online yet, the gig was over two hours ago :P ) they opened the set with two non-album tracks The Professor and Me My Yolk And I (including some of David Gray 'Babylon' to which Damien thanked him for opening up the world to acoustic music). Damien was making full use of the distortion effect he uses on the mic for the angry songs.. and then went into Amie.. professing how truly great it was to be back home in one of his favourite venues in the world.

He introduced a number of the songs on the night as being about his 'guy he knew'.. who questioned his whole existence and God and coincidently also happened to live in Celbridge and get the 67A bus home. Some heckler shouts from the balcony 'are you sure it wasn’t the 66A?' Damien replies 'no, no I'm sure it was the 67A". they played Amie and Damien later on introduces a new song but doesn’t mention its title. It turns out to be The Blowers Daughter Part 2. They play Cannonball and Older Chests (one of my live favs) and Prague and the gig is going well. Vyvienne plays Seven Nation Army which breaks the nice runs of songs that the band had going, but gives the band a chance to prepare for part two of the show to come.

A special guest was hiding in the wings, the man who gave Damien the inspiration, encouragement and also equipment when he was trying to decide about the pending big record label deal with his former band. Damien told of how he was listening to one of his favourite records and seeing that same guy's name on the sleeve notes... David Arnold & Bjork. David then came on stage and joined the full band for an unrehearsed version of 'Play Dead'.

Cold Water became one the many highlights of the night, a truly great version. they played 'Delicate' why do you sing Hallelujah/If it means nothing to you/Why do you sing with me at all with the whole venue singing Hallelujah. Damien tells of seeing an 'x' in the sky today, the last time he saw that was the day Mic died... Lisa sings 'Kids Song' as a tribute. Vyvienne is back on solo duty with a classical rendition of Purple Haze.. the band play I Remember with so many covers interwoven that it is hard to remember some of Led Zeppelin 'Babe I'm Gonna Leave You', Portishead 'Glory Box', Radiohead 'Creep' and Prince 'When Doves Cry' with Joel from Pedestrian.

Eskimo was another highlight; Lisa really hit the note as the opera singer's part kicked in towards the end. A well-deserved standing ovation from the Vicar St. audience followed. Damien then played Cheers Darlin' and it looked like the gig was winding down for the night. But they came back yet again with Be My Husband, The Blowers Daughter and they thanked all the people who had helped make this an amazing year for them and thanked the audience for their great support. Lisa closed the night a cappella with very seasonal Silent Night, they wished everyone a wonderful Christmas and thanked their families for all their love and support and we spilled out onto Dublin's streets at half past midnight on a cold December night

On a trip to the bar mid-setlist I had a quick look at the t-shirt stand and I'd mentioned to the guy that it had been two years since the first time I saw Damien live and he asked me "so do you think the he's improved since then?" and I said that the songs were still as strong as the first time I heard them. I met him again after the gig was over and all I could coherently say to him was "yeah you were right, he's definitely improved!"

Words here don't really do it justice, rambling a bit, still trying to remember all the songs that they played.

They mentioned more Irish dates for February 2004. Start queuing now…

PS. Big thanks to Ed S. who had a spare ticket and to Vicar St. for having a non-smoking gig, never thought I'd see the day.Edited by: Loveless
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 09:27 PM   #4
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Cheers. I was dying to hear how it went! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] Sounds like it was amazing.
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 03:11 AM   #5
jack
Eskimo Baby

what was the cover they did at the end, with cheers darling i think.

I wanna be a woman, give me a reason...something like that...

brill gig
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 03:13 AM   #6
jack
Eskimo Baby

and also the song lisa sang with damien drumming on his guitar??
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 03:20 AM   #7
Hotstepper
Eskimo Baby

The song with Damien drumming on his guitar was Be my Husband and the other song was Glorybox by Portishead!
Hotstepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 03:22 AM   #8
Scon
Eskimo Regular

They covered 3 songs together at the end... When Doves Cry &gt; Babe I'm Gonna Leave You &gt; Glory Box. They jammed out Glory Box for about 10 or 15 mins I think? Incredible [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img] That's the song you're thinking of.

The other song was 'Be My Husband'
Scon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 04:20 AM   #9
answering bell
Eskimo Regular

as in be my husband that jeff buckley did??
Old 12-16-2003, 06:04 AM   #10
RedBelly
Eskimo Friend

great gig, nice review loveless.
I was sitting more or less in the midle of the tables, near the lads from lucas. really enjoyed blowers daughter part 2 as I hadn't heard it before...play dead was class as well..... thought Dave Arnold's mellatron made a lovely addition to the sound. the jam at the end was great, although it was starting to get a bit live-aidish with 9 people on stage.
roll on feburary, I wonder will he tour around the country ??
Edited by: RedBelly
RedBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 06:31 AM   #11
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

sounded like a good night... cheers for the review bren [img]smileys/smiley20.gif[/img]

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 06:35 AM   #12
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

Great review loveless, Cheers!!

Please tell me someone taped the show!!

Im gutted i missed it. But theres no way im missing any gig in February!!</font>
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
just to prove to me that you can
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
daol20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 06:52 AM   #13
Sionna
Eskimo Regular

I'll be following him around the country in Feb for definate!
Old 12-16-2003, 06:55 AM   #14
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

lets rent a van and someone can drive and we can sing campfire songs along the way[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]and hug tree's[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]and look at the windmills - like in leitrim[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Old 12-16-2003, 06:56 AM   #15
Damien Ricicle
Eskimo Friend

Fuct up with my taping but managed to get last 20 minutes or so and the 30 minutes walk to get a taxi on minidisc!
Damien Ricicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 06:56 AM   #16
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

Hippy style!!
Then head to San Fransisco!!</font>Edited by: daol20
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
Old 12-16-2003, 06:58 AM   #17
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien Ricicle

Fuct up with my taping but managed to get last 20 minutes or so and the 30 minutes walk to get a taxi on minidisc!
I'd still love to get a copy of anything you have!</font>
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
Old 12-16-2003, 06:59 AM   #18
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

i wanna be a groupie... or a "band aid" as they call themselves in almost famous[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Old 12-16-2003, 07:17 AM   #19
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

Their schedule for February looks fairly full, so i cant see a tour happening!!
february 2004

Wed 11 Scotland Glasgow Academy more info? SOLD OUT
Thurs 12 England Newcastle Newcastle University more info?
Sat 14 England Manchester Academy more info? SOLD OUT
Sun 15 England Nottingham Rock City more info?
Mon 16 England Cambridge Corn Exchange more info?
Wed 18 England Bristol Academy more info? SOLD OUT
Thurs 19 England Sheffield Octagon more info?
Fri 20 England Brixton Academy more info? NEW
Sat 21 England Brixton Academy more info? SOLD OUT

So i'd imagine it'll be squeezing a gig or two in somwhere after the 21st.</font>
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
Old 12-16-2003, 07:20 AM   #20
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

Although looking at that, they're playing 9 gigs in 11 days all across the UK so and couple more gigs in Ireland in the remaining 7 days they should manage it!!

Must be a exhausting month!!</font>Edited by: daol20
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
Old 12-16-2003, 07:21 AM   #21
Smithy
Eskimo Regular

Cheers loveless,
sounds like an absolutely wicked night, they did play dead at the SBE and it was truly awesome, argh roll on Feb 21st [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] I need anothe fix
Old 12-16-2003, 07:25 AM   #22
Julie
Eskimo Baby

What a great review!!
Old 12-16-2003, 07:33 AM   #23
kristine
Eskimo Regular

wowowow...fantastic review, loveless!

I remember him doing the multi-covers at the Irving Plaza show, which was the first I'd ever seen him...so it sounds like he's refreshed for his European tour! thanks again for the review!
Old 12-16-2003, 07:48 AM   #24
Ian.
Eskimo Baby

we were sitting on the left hand tier as you look at the stage-what a venue, near perfect view everywhere, from what i could tell. i've never been to a gig so chilled out like that before, it was great. the band were amazing. i liked them before, but now!!and lisa. we saw here in the bar before hand.rescue blues said 'ian look its lisa'. 'what, where'. 'there there look, behind joe'. and then i saw her (looking amazing) chatting to her folks, standing right beside us.

i was at witness and i've seen some of the gigs on the net, but last night they rocked it.the drums(and lots of 'em) transformed some of the songs.and vyvienne did a great job on the solosalthough she was nervous - 'ok, no pressure' she said as she got ready.poor lisa during silent night-some eejit started clapping after the first verse and she started to laugh and had to start again.great laugh over the batteries they use.Damien said he was going to go back to using duracell and someone in the audience shouted 'f**k the bunny!'. between songs some of the crowd started shouting up 'play jimi hendrix' and 'led zeppelin' which i thought was a bit much, until someone shouted 'play some Damien Rice!' .nothing spoiled it though. some said that it went on a bit-i could have happily sat there all night. i think i'm hooked. woo hoo
Old 12-16-2003, 07:49 AM   #25
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

i heard people saying they were yawning towards the end and just wanted to go home... most people said the olympia gig on the 7th was still better...

Old 12-16-2003, 08:09 AM   #26
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

I posted this allready in the main forum but whatever.

Amazing gig. Got a seat in the very front row sitting right in front on Lisa/Vyvianne. Briefly freaked about holding a seat for my late friend, but thats just me. I pity any fool reading that was there all on their own, there was a girl at our table that came with no-one which meant that there was a spare seat in the front row all night.

What about the support? I thought both were pretty good. Had a brief chat with the singer from Lucas (I'm such a fanboy, got him to sign his CD, first time I've ever done that, I swear), would have gone to their thing tonight but I've got the Kings of Leon. If anyone's interested he told me that they are playing Whelen's on the 25th of January.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:24 AM   #27
kristine
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeweller
i heard people saying they were yawning towards the end and just wanted to go home... most people said the olympia gig on the 7th was still better...

that the band members were yawning, or the audience?
Old 12-16-2003, 08:37 AM   #28
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

the audience were... just from the people i talked to... and also during the portishead cover he did too much and ended up w**king his guitar more than playing it... just what i heard

Old 12-16-2003, 09:10 AM   #29
Bumpman

Did anyone actually get a decent recording of it?
Bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 10:08 AM   #30
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

There has to be someone!!!
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin