Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 05-17-2007, 04:04 PM   #1
coreyb
eskiphotographer

Default Boston 5/22

who's going? i'm getting pretty stoked...

anyone know the camera policy? none at all? no flash?

i gotta find my ticket... it's somewhere in a pile of boxes and junk... i just moved into my new condo... woohoo! i bought a condo in cambridge!
coreyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
jbpats
Eskimo Friend

Alright Eskimos trying to bring back the Boston Thread since the show is tomorrow... DaveyDave I hope you are bringing your recording equipment so that you can bless us with another amazing recording!
I just read the post from the Montreal show and the audience refused to leave after the first encore. So the band came back out and did a second one. Seems like that is the only time this tour that has happened. I think We should go for it tomorrow night...
jbpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:15 PM   #3
coreyb
eskiphotographer

i can't find my ticket... hahaha... i just moved to a new condo and can't find it anywhere... uh oh!
Old 05-21-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
daveydave
Eskimo Regular

I'll be there. I might not have the most perfect position, but it should be pretty good for sound.

Dave
daveydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:37 AM   #5
daveydave
Eskimo Regular

Just some more thoughts Corey...

Very much looking forward to the show but can't help but think it will be strange without Lisa.

Opera House is much nicer than the Orpheum.

BTW - nice photography on your site!

Dave Again
Old 05-22-2007, 02:10 AM   #6
bottlebohemia
Eskimo Friend

I called the Opera House today and spoke to a live person (!) and asked him about the camera policy. He said that they are "discouraged". To which I replied, are we searched? And I think he misunderstood me, because he then proceeded to give me a lengthy answer and say if we brought cameras and wanted to check them we could at the coat check but the Opera House does not search bags or bodies for discouraged items.

I'm pretty excited about this! I also have 4th row seats which will be the closest I have ever been at a Damien show.

Is there an opener/ does anyone know who it is?
bottlebohemia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:59 AM   #7
ml7667
Eskimo Baby

i'm going, I don't think ive ever been more excited for a concert in my life (maybe when I saw Tool back in the fall).

Anyone need an extra ticket? I'm trying to get rid of one of my three...

ml7667@gmail.com
ml7667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:40 PM   #8
coreyb
eskiphotographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebohemia
I called the Opera House today and spoke to a live person (!) and asked him about the camera policy. He said that they are "discouraged". To which I replied, are we searched? And I think he misunderstood me, because he then proceeded to give me a lengthy answer and say if we brought cameras and wanted to check them we could at the coat check but the Opera House does not search bags or bodies for discouraged items.
nice. i will be bringing my real camera gear to a damien show for the first time... i've always had to bring my lil digi cam... expect some quality photos out of this show tonight unless they snag my gear... i think i'm about 5th row dead center... can't freakin wait... i lost my ticket but they're holding a new one for me at will-call... this is all working out...
Old 05-22-2007, 02:42 PM   #9
daveydave
Eskimo Regular

Bring your cameras. There were no pat downs when I was there last. However, I'd still put it in a safe place ;-) Once the performance starts, the worst that can happen is that they ask you to put them away, which, is ridiculous because once the show starts, 40 people will be pulling them out in the first 10 rows. That was the experience with the Orpheum in December & another show I saw at the Opera House last year.

Imagine if security wasn't paying attention to crowd control and someone got hurt because they were telling everyone to put their cameras and cell phones away.

Just do no use a flash. There is no need if your use stage and or the lighting that the show offers. Pictures taken from the dark with a flash come out terrible. Plus, flash is kind of disrespectful of the artist.

dave

Go for a high speed / no flash setting. Even if you are hesitant, just keep the camera low, pic your spots and take them from chest level if you are up close. You can always crop out heads later. The rule of thumb is to treat it like highway driving...Don't do anything stupid, just follow what everyone else is getting away with and you won't get pulled over / out.

Plus, being close to the stage, you should have no problem with lighting. Even if you have an SLR lense and keep it low, you should be ok. No security guard is going to trample down into your aisle and pull you out. Maybe if you were on the end (possibly). Just keep them down, close to the chest and use the lighting they have.

Corey,

Do you know who's opening? Anyone
Old 05-22-2007, 03:08 PM   #10
jbpats
Eskimo Friend

I work across the street from the opera house and I was walking in today around 9:40 AM and damien rice's tour bus pulled up right in front of my face. I waited outside for 10 Minutes and all i saw were the two tour bus bus drivers yelling at eachother. I took a picture with my cell phone but the file is too big to upload, so y'all just have to take my word for it. I am going to go try again during my lunch/coffee break to say hello.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:09 PM   #11
bottlebohemia
Eskimo Friend

I just checked Damien's website and it says that there is no support for this US leg of shows and people were saying on the messageboard on Damien's site that there was no opener last night at Radio City. He also went on a 1/2 hour after the show was suppose to start. So I would predict he'll go on at 8 tonight.

I was at the Orpheum in December too (that's why I called to see about cameras this time) because in December everyone was taking pictures and I only had my stupid cellphone camera!
Old 05-22-2007, 03:33 PM   #12
coreyb
eskiphotographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveydave
Go for a high speed / no flash setting.
cheers dave... i know how to shoot hehe... shooting with f/1.4 and f/2 lenses if that means anything to you... stoked to hear tonight's recording once it's mastered... i'm listening to december's show as we speak... man i'm gonna miss lisa...
Old 05-22-2007, 04:24 PM   #13
daveydave
Eskimo Regular

Bottle,

Hey, my wife will be happy about getting home early. However, it always makes me a bit nervous when there is little time to get settled up with my gear. Well, "so it is."

Being in the first 10 rows in December, it was hilarious to watch all the security guards try to quietly tell the fans to put the cameras down. The minute they did, everyone's went up.

I also called the venue the other day to see if I could setup recording gear (Damien is cool with it.) I was told that they don't allow recording at the venue and that they would drag anyone out. Of course, I don't think they would have any clue if there were 20 tapers in the venue tonight & I don't think the kid knew what the hell he was talking about.

Corey,

I do have some knowledge with the lenses you mentioned. You might want to see the following pictures to give you an idea of the Opera House lighting - for shooting. If you can, can you turn around and take a picture of the entire balcony (while the house lights are on?) It's good for picking good seats / placement to record from. I haven't been able to find a picture from that perspective.

http://www.pbase.com/greggerm/image/77595048 - this was Guster there last month. You'll notice one of the pictures along the railing has microphones setup (pic 2479). That's one of the reasons I called about officially setting up gear. That show came out as well as any recording I've ever heard.

Dave
Old 05-22-2007, 04:39 PM   #14
bottlebohemia
Eskimo Friend

Dave-

That's great to hear you're taping the show tonight! I won't get as great of pictures as Corey will (since I am (a) not a photographer and (b) only will have a digital) but let's hope I'll have some to share tomorrow. I'm a new poster to the board, but a long time Damien fan (3rd show tonight)- will you be sharing the recording?

Where are you sitting? I'm in row B, left center orchestra.

Jen

Last edited by bottlebohemia; 05-22-2007 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:45 PM   #15
jbpats
Eskimo Friend

I will be sitting second row and I will have my camera so i will be sure to get a lot of great pics for everybody. Just went out for my coffee break there is still no sign of Damien leaving his busses yet because they are still running. He is probably still sleeping or hungover.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:47 PM   #16
coreyb
eskiphotographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpats
there is still no sign of Damien leaving his busses yet because they are still running
that's not very 'green' of him... two thumbs down damo... turn off the damn buses and go sleep in the commons... it's a gorgeous day outside...

i'm in row A (7th row?) dead center... STOKED.

Last edited by coreyb; 05-22-2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:42 AM   #17
jbpats
Eskimo Friend

Here is my initial reaction from the show tonight... Absolutely unreal but way too short. I will comment more tomorrow morning
Old 05-23-2007, 03:50 AM   #18
DawnAC321
Eskimo Baby

I agree. Excellent show, but incredibly short.

Also, I was sitting in front of an a-hole who felt the need to comment on every line in every song and also sing along (loudly and terribly mind you). The audience in general pissed me off.

Oh well. At least Damo was awesome!
DawnAC321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 03:54 AM   #19
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

we want details
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:10 AM   #20
paulbaptiste
Eskimo Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
we want details
yes we do, and we wanta hear how daveydave's tape ended up sounding!
paulbaptiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:24 AM   #21
Haina
Eskimo Friend

He only played for about 1 hour and 40 minutes, which was very disappointing. The show was suppose to start at 7:30 but he didn't play until 8:00. He only did three songs for the encore. But, it was absolutely amazing.

I love that he did Cannonball without the mic. And Cheers Darling was priceless; the streetlamp was a really nice touch.
Haina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:35 AM   #22
coreyb
eskiphotographer

i got some great photos from tonight... especially during 'cheers darlin'... hahaha... stay tuned to this thread...
Old 05-23-2007, 05:30 AM   #23
daveydave
Eskimo Regular

Default My first listen

Hey Eskimo's!

I'm giving my recordings (s), yes that's plural - their first listen. I used two different types of recorders tonight and 2 sets of mics etc. I'm trying a new / smaller recorder that I'd like to transition to, thus the 2nd recorder which I had not felt confident with until tonight.

Bottom line on first listen of both:

Recording A - same recorder and mics as December - fantastic thus far. The acoustics in the Opera House are just fantastic. I was concerned that there would be too much bass because of my location, but it turns out I was close enough in line to the right stack to get a great recording.

Recording B - I finally got a very good, maybe excellent recording with the new recording. Consider my learning curve on that recorder somewhat complete. It's tougher to tell how good on this recording, it is not as loud out of the box. I'll know more tomorrow.

Of course, I'll share a raw recording in mp3 format with the Boston thread posters. That should satisfy you all until I can give it a bit of a listen and see if there is anything that can be improved.

The only two problems I can see are with things I couldn't control.

a.) Guy next to me with some loud claps at end of songs. A hoot from him every once and a while. I was able to lighten up that kind of thing on the last recording from December and expect similar results.

b.) Two young ladies behind me that needed to be thrown over the edge of the balcony. Ok, I'm not really that bad of a guy, but these are the type of people that talk through shows and then sing the wrong words. Thus far I have not picked them up on Recording A. Maybe the mics did their job.

One more note: All instruments sound full and clear again. Possibly better because of the acoustics - still blown away by the Opera House.

Sorry if I sound like an idiot right now. Just tired I guess.

More in the morning.

Dave

Blower's Daughter done proper

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbaptiste
yes we do, and we wanta hear how daveydave's tape ended up sounding!
Old 05-23-2007, 05:39 AM   #24
Haina
Eskimo Friend

That is wonderful! I'd love to hear some of your mp3s, when you'd like to share them.

I agree that the acoustics were really amazing at the Opera House. I've gone to the show last summer when he toured with Fiona Apple at the Pavillon where the speakers did not do him justice. It's great to hear the songs at this show. I got goosebumps when he did Crosseye Bear.
Haina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:48 AM   #25
coreyb
eskiphotographer

here are some photos:

Last edited by coreyb; 05-23-2007 at 06:10 AM.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:50 AM   #26
daveydave
Eskimo Regular

Great Pics Corey! Just what I expected based on the rest of your collection.

dave
Old 05-23-2007, 05:56 AM   #27
coreyb
eskiphotographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveydave
Great Pics Corey! Just what I expected based on the rest of your collection.
thanks dave... there's still some cleaning up to do on them but those are pretty much the shots straight out of the camera... definitely some noise reduction could be used across them all... i'm pretty stoked with how they came out... i of course have tons and tons more but i thought i'd share the best of em for now... enjoy!
Old 05-23-2007, 06:53 AM   #28
nyrice45
Eskimo Friend

Default set-list

the show was great- a really different show from the last ones I've seen and probably the best one- There's no way I'll remember the order of songs but here's a list of the ones he definitely played:
(looking at the set-list I don't think it was much shorter than other concerts- but I do think he ended the main session a song or two early)

volcano (very long version which was really good), me my yoke and I, cross-eyed bear, is that it my friend, the professor (with the man, silly dog bit) , coconut skins, dogs (girl who does yoga), woman like a man, a little new song that I couldn't really understand the words to (something like "never go down" was repeated at the end- might be the other one he sang when he first sang "what the night is for"), older chests, a very angry/emotional 9 crimes, accidental babies, cannonball (no mic)

encore with delicate, blowers daughter and cheers darlin' which was great- a lot of people just walked right up to the stage during it.

again dealt with the lisa questions - saying she was recording an album

also told some good stories about professor, older chests, 9 crimes, and coconut skins
nyrice45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:54 AM   #29
nyrice45
Eskimo Friend

also dave - if its possible can I get the recordings of is that it my friend?, the professor, and cross-eyed bear? thanks
nyrice45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:09 AM   #30
palescales
Eskimo Baby

i must say this show KILLED the previous one in Boston by leaps and bounds. i thought this was one of the rudest audiences i've ever seen at a damien rice show. tons of whistling, yelling out gaytarded crap while damien was speaking, and people getting up to get drinks when they heard the first notes of a song they didn't know. it was, however, one of the coolest and most lavishly appointed concert venues i've ever been to. the sound was spot on perfect and the cannonball with no mic was just perfect. he kept the jams short and seemed like he knew when to end a song at the right moment instead of letting it go on and on.

i thought the guitarist looked a little bit at sea on stage. a few times he was looking over at damien to make sure he was on the same page. i imagine it's not easy to step in and play with a band that has been together for years and fit right in. either way it was a great show. too bad i had 15 people calling me to tell me that the celtics got screwed in the lottery. i thought my mom had died or something important.

edit: he very distinctly said "i'll see you guys in september" when he walked off the stage. another tour perhaps?
palescales is offline   Reply With Quote