Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 10-20-2014, 01:41 AM   #1
madhat181
Uber Fan

Default How much did you and/or would you pay for a ticket to see Damien?

I was looking at the prices on stubhub for Apollo tickets and saw the upper level was selling at 3 times face value. And was contemplating how much I would pay to see Damo? I did pay almost $200 for a front row seat at the Beacon Theater in 2006 and it was totally worth it.

I know everyone isn't well off financially but what would be your limit to pay to see him?

Also if anyone has an extra ticket For the Apollo I would be more than grateful to take it off your hands.
madhat181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:50 AM   #2
blindmelonade
Eskimo Friend

I just saw Damien for the first time last night...And after that, I'm willing to pay probably my next paycheck for a ticket to the Apollo.

Actually, it would probably be about $250-300 as my "limit". But we all know we lose a little self-control in the heat of the moment.
blindmelonade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:02 AM   #3
tessalasset
Eskimo Regular

Most I've paid so far is $86 for a ticket. It would depend on the venue. If it were somewhere like Nokia Theater in LA (cap 7100), I'd pay around that much. If it were somewhere smaller like Largo or a cool place like a church or a cemetery, I'd pay probably around $120. I don't think I could ever pay $300 for a ticket unless it were like...a living room show or something. There aren't many artists or bands I'd pony up that much for. Maybe a Talking Heads reunion.
tessalasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:26 AM   #4
melodie
mmm bop.

i'm in the process of deciding that myself for the apollo show. i'm thinking 150-200, but urgh.
melodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:40 AM   #5
signalfire
Eskimo Regular

I've paid about $100 with fees for secondhand tickets before, but they were general admission, so I knew I'd arrive early and get the front. I didn't buy a crummy seat in the presale because it was $60, so I'm definitely not going to pay twice that to a scalper due to non-buyer's remorse (even though it was totally a mistake to let that ticket slip through my fingers). I'm going to play the watch and wait game to see if tickets drop right before the show.
signalfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:18 AM   #6
Lys
Eskimo Regular

I would pay whatever they cost at the regular sale, including when I buy them from someone else. Never ever would I pay for a scalper ticket. And if we all wouldn't, they have no business...something to think about.
I'm not here to preach, but i just HATE scalpers so MUCH...aaahhh!!
Lys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:22 AM   #7
glo32
Eskimo Regular

I paid 60€ for the Milan gig in a few days... I agree it also depends on the venue. This time the venue is absolutely **** and 60€ is really too much. If it it a beautiful theater with good acoustic quality then I'd even pay 80-100€.
I'd never pay 200-300$ though, and I don't know how you guys do it actually
everytime I see an overpriced gig I decide not to buy, thinking "well, he will be back".
Luckily, for Damien, it hasn't happened yet. I find his prices have always been reasonable. I saw him in 2007 in a beautiful conservatory for around 30€, then here and there in 2012-2013 for 40-60€ I think, always in good venues. This time around, it will be like a tent that they call it "theater" and really costs a lot, and my only hope is the sound quality won't be awful...
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:38 AM   #8
mandarific
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lys View Post
I would pay whatever they cost at the regular sale, including when I buy them from someone else. Never ever would I pay for a scalper ticket. And if we all wouldn't, they have no business...something to think about.
I'm not here to preach, but i just HATE scalpers so MUCH...aaahhh!!
Pretty much my thoughts here.

That said...my opinion on ticket prices has changed slightly. Now that he has a new album out and will presumably be playing more gigs, I'd probably be less willing to pay a high price.

Two years ago, though? Even ONE year ago? I would have been readily willing to pay $200-$300 to see him, since shows in the states were pretty much nonexistant.

My general rule for concerts is no more than $20 for a band I sort-of like, up to $30 for someone I really like, and up to like $60 for the gold tier or whatever, which I guess would be you know, damo, glen, lisa, etc. I've never had a reason to pay more than $60/ticket (that's before fees) but if the right show came up, I probably would.
mandarific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:58 AM   #9
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

I just paid a little over $500 for Apollo and am having serious buyer's remorse. I hate scalpers, and have only used them for Damien shows, but never this much. I can only justify it by knowing that many fans flew/came in from Florida, SC, NC, Georgia, Mass, Arizona, Texas, Europe, etc. to see 1 or more shows this weekend.

So maybe I can rationalize the price I just paid last night, if I can sacrifice a few little things throughout the next few weeks, and still pay my bills. I refuse to go into debt for tickets. And, maybe the scalper will be able to use the money to pay his/her bills or buy something nice for his kid/lady or fella/mom.

Last edited by InspirationDestination; 10-29-2014 at 05:44 AM.
InspirationDestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:42 PM   #10
ashleyz
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarific View Post
Two years ago, though? Even ONE year ago? I would have been readily willing to pay $200-$300 to see him, since shows in the states were pretty much nonexistant.
Pretty much same here. For this weekend I got one ticket from the presale for the Friday show and had to buy 1 ticket secondhand (about 130 after fees) for my boyfriend. I usually don't use these second sites and probably wouldn't again if he came back within the year. I also drove from Massachusetts and stayed in a hotel for two nights which was pretty pricey. All in all I spent about 500 for the tickets and hotel.

Realistically I would have paid anything to see him this past weekend. I have never seen him before and due to the aforementioned non existence if shows I knew I needed to see him no matter what. Next time i would probably pay $100 if the show was in Boston. Honestly, if travel was involved I might not even go. Not unless I could stay for more than one day.
ashleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #11
melodie
mmm bop.

i normally would never buy from a scalper, no matter the cost. when i initially didn't get tickets for the apollo, i didn't consider this an option at all. but now that i'm having to sell my ticket for the rescheduled chicago date, i feel like this is sorta maybe kinda justifiable...
melodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #12
madhat181
Uber Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspirationDestination View Post
I just paid a little over $500 for Apollo and am having serious buyer's remorse. I hate scalpers, and have only used them for Damien shows, but never this much. I can only justify it by knowing that many fans flew/came in from Florida, SC, NC, Georgia, Mass, Arizona, Texas, Europe, etc. to see 1 or more shows this weekend.
$500, where are you sitting?
madhat181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:36 PM   #13
bluebeagle
Serious Eskimo

I would probabaly pay up to $400. The most I've paid to see a band is $350. If I had bought a ticket for the NY Apollo show I was going to buy a ticket and fly there to see Damien, even though I'll be attending the Chicago rescheduled show.
bluebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:03 PM   #14
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhat181 View Post
$500, where are you sitting?
Orch center, close to the front. I'm sure the prices will go down as it gets closer to the date, but I wanted them.

I love immersing myself in different cultures! I don't know if you get "Showtime at the Apollo" anywhere but the Tri-State area, but I've always wanted to see the theater. The show has great cultural significance in the African-American community (it's painful, inspiring, & hilarious) and has immense history. Harlem is so culturally and artistically rich (despite it's negative reputation), so I'm glad people who may normally not visit, will get to see it. I'm a people watcher, so I'm excited to see what Damien fans think of it.

Another payoff for the $500+ (really trying to reframe my buyer's remorse perspective).

Last edited by InspirationDestination; 11-05-2014 at 04:27 AM.
InspirationDestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:38 PM   #15
tessalasset
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarific View Post

My general rule for concerts is no more than $20 for a band I sort-of like, up to $30 for someone I really like, and up to like $60 for the gold tier or whatever, which I guess would be you know, damo, glen, lisa, etc. I've never had a reason to pay more than $60/ticket (that's before fees) but if the right show came up, I probably would.

It's funny.. I remember about eight years ago having this conversation with my friend and saying generally the same thing. I'd pay $15-$20 for a band I like a decent amount, $30-$40 for someone I really like, and $50-$60 for someone I really love. I remember spending $80 per ticket to see Damien Rice at the Greek in 2007 and that was like...the most I had ever spent on a ticket up to that point. Live music ticket prices have inflated so dramatically since then, thanks to the deep repercussions of the fall of the major labels, that almost every show I go to now starts around $45, and I usually have to pay $60-$70 for someone I really like. The "love" artists are anywhere from $80-$100 easily.
tessalasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:46 AM   #16
mikerennie
Eskimo Regular

I would pay > $500 and I might for the Apollo.

Waiting a little longer to see if he announces any Boston shows.

Anyone have a single Apollo ticket they are trying to unload?
mikerennie is offline   Reply With Quote