Old 01-09-2004, 01:47 AM   #91
Uno- X
Eskimo CSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo_Pin1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uno- X
you have a very cool dad.

Yup![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] I went to see Turin Brakes with him as well and I went to see Counting Crows with my mom for her birthday![img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
cool. I m sure that soon they'll start going to Linkin Park gigs as well, start wearing shorts and their every second word will be ROCK ON!!!!

Uno- X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 03:48 PM   #92
Pac
Eskimo Friend

One thing us people who've like damo for ages have over these 'new fans' (i dont have anything against them, as most of my friends are one) is that are cd's are a different colour to the new ones. i know its a small thing but its something!!!!
Old 01-09-2004, 03:56 PM   #93
Patricia
Eskimo Regular

What are the colours, then? (so I know if I'm a new or an old fan...)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 04:34 PM   #94
Pac
Eskimo Friend

My ones kind of browny with squiggily people drawn at the bottom. then there was a bage the same colour as the album case and then my friend told me about this newer one but i can't remember what he said it was like (sorry). So which one are u?
Old 01-09-2004, 05:31 PM   #95
Venomous Valdez
Eskimo Regular

yes, i'll have to agree. Mr. Rice isn't too popular in the states yet. i personally hope he gets huge. more singer songwriters should. not stupid boy/girl bands who needs a staff of 5 people to write songs and teach them how to sing it.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:35 PM   #96
Patricia
Eskimo Regular

Mine is...*I don't know how to explain* Not the usual little book in a plastic case, but a cardboard folded in two, and the book and the CD have each their own place... I don't know if that makes anysense!

It's brownish beige, with the "you me" drawing at the bottom.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 08:00 AM   #97
Varuna
Eskimo Regular

Well i am originally from Mauritius and i just went home for Christmas and absolutely Noone's ever heard of him. Its a small country, about 1.5 million people and its tucked away in the indian ocean. so i think its only the northern hemisphere that has the priviledge of being influenced my damo. The cd is not even in the shops.

poor them!
Old 01-10-2004, 08:12 AM   #98
dara
Eskimo Regular

Mr Rice sells out most of his gigs in the United states, hence the fact this will be his fourth time touring the US in less than a year ,because its profitable and promoters make money and will book him no problem .... for a singer songwriter thats pretty big stuff, granted he wont be selling out arenas, but to say hes not popular in the US is a wee bit of an Understatement
dara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 11:39 AM   #99
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

I don't know, dara - I guess it depends on how you measure "popularity." He always sells out in LA because of the radio play he gets on KCRW. He didn't sell out in DC until the day of the show - tickets were available online the day before the show.

Anyway, only one of my friends knows who Damien is. Everyone else is like "Damien who?" It was like that for me when Pearl Jam started out - they sold out CBGBs, but I couldn't get anyone to come to the show with me (for free, no less, because I was on the guestlist) because people had no idea who they were - even though the show was sold out.

So I think there's a difference between underground popularity and mainstream popularity. I think Damien has a growing following in the States, but I wouldn't call him popular. He's more popular than he used to be, but I don't think he's too popular or even popular in the mainstream, yet. He probably will be huge one day, but right now, his album hasn't even gone Gold.
GlttrGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 11:48 AM   #100
Angela
Eskimo Regular

I don't know where you live (DC?), but he's pretty well known in Boston. His music plays at Starbucks and all my (non-student) neighbors know him. He's featured on Yahoo Music, he was "artist of the day" at amazon - it's sort of hard to ignore him. There were *huge* feature articles on him in the local papers, all his gigs reviewed etc.

For someone new to the US market his rise has been nothing but meteoric.
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 12:14 PM   #101
eimear
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanecahill
Well, the only reason I'm worried*if he*becomes too popular is that he'll stop playing so many Ireland gigs, and as most of us know that would be a huge shame. Yet, I've given Damo's album to*6 people since it came out. All 6 people bought it. It's that powerful. They grow up soo fast!
ya thats true il be really annoyed if he stops doin gigs all over ireland! he seems to be doin it already as ders no gigs planned for limerick,galway, or cork so all of us at this side have to travel to dublin as usual! i wouldnt mind but im soooooo broke!

ya ive given the cd to loads of people! everyone loves him!
eimear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 05:22 PM   #102
mierk
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlttrGrrl

I don't know, dara - I guess it depends on how you measure "popularity."* He always sells out in LA because of the radio play he gets on KCRW.* He didn't sell out in DC until the day of the show - tickets were available online the day before the show.

Anyway, only one of my friends knows who Damien is.* Everyone else is like "Damien who?"* It was like that for me when Pearl Jam started out - they sold out CBGBs, but I couldn't get anyone to come to the show with me (for free, no less, because I was on the guestlist) because people had no idea who they were - even though the show was sold out.*

So I think there's a difference between underground popularity and mainstream popularity.* I think Damien has a growing following in the States, but I wouldn't call him popular.* He's more popular than he used to be, but I don't think he's too popular or even popular in the mainstream, yet.* He probably will be huge one day, but right now, his album hasn't even gone Gold.
Yeah, what she said -- my friends on various music message boards have occasionally heard of them, but they're the kind of crowd that gets off on hearing music nobody else has heard of. None of my actual real life friends have heard of him at all, hence me having to go to his show here in Phoenix solo.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:43 AM   #103
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Just thought I'd revive this after the Vicar St fiasco(?). I think this is what people were worried about.
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 06:43 AM   #104
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

that was my point at the start... that damo will be too popular to even see live... nothing to do with the commercial side as that doesnt bother me but to dissapoint thousands more fans than to play to, is ridiculous... and he has done it twice now... that annoys me

Edited by: Jeweller
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 06:46 AM   #105
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Lets just hope they find a solution to the 'I got 15 tickets and sold them' problem before the tour for the new album later this year. Actually, there is a thread that is needed.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:48 AM   #106
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

i dont see how he got 15 tickets unless he used 3 peoples credit cards....
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 07:04 AM   #107
Sionna
Eskimo Regular

They did give me 5 tickets and i heard we should only have got 4 not that im complaining..
Old 01-14-2004, 04:35 PM   #108
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

There's been a few different people on the net selling tickets that got more than 5! I've heard of one guy with 15 and two different people with 10 tickets!</font>
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
just to prove to me that you can
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
daol20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 04:38 PM   #109
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Didn't he (or one of the others) say that some shop had printed out a load of them... I guess he got them from them...
Old 01-14-2004, 05:14 PM   #110
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

I was talking to someone who works for a certain radiostation, and was told that a lot of those tickets were sold before 12, some even the day before.

Theres a guy on the DR site who says that a ticketmaster outlet prints off loads of tickets before the sell time, to gaurentee they are sold from that store (I suppose its to do with commission). Then the tickets are sold from the counter. </font>
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
just to prove to me that you can
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
daol20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 10:23 AM   #111
bushy al
Eskimo Baby

ye can't have it all your own way.

when damo was as big as he is now (he'll get bigger prepare yourselfs). ye were complaing about how the radio never play him, how no one goes to his gigs etc.

now he becoming more recognised, ye're moanin

if damo played the point ye'd be complaining that its a sh*t venue and he's selling out

but because he's playing in a decent venue ye're moanin about not gettin tickets. he can't play every night in vicar street. he needs a couple of days break at least

thing to do is f**koff for awhile and come back when the hype is over and ye should get sorted out

or find a band that ye can get tickets to and not tell anyone about them, simple

now stopfeeling sorry for yerselfs
Old 01-15-2004, 01:02 PM   #112
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Never mind everyone, I got e-mail address of the person I was looking forEdited by: #Ian#