Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 01-12-2010, 01:50 AM   #1
Brandinian
Toffee Popper

Default Eve, The Apple of My Eye

So, I know that Damien was in Juniper with the boys from Bell, but I see that he's not credited with the writing of this song. There is a recording on Youtube of him singing it while he was in Juniper, and it was called 'Never'. Did Damien actually write any of the song? I know that some of the lyrics were changed, so did they just change his lyrics to avoid giving him credit or what? It's a great song, but I've always wondered about his involvement with it, as I don't think he's played it since he's been solo.
Brandinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:14 AM   #2
Manna
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandinian View Post
So, I know that Damien was in Juniper with the boys from Bell, but I see that he's not credited with the writing of this song. There is a recording on Youtube of him singing it while he was in Juniper, and it was called 'Never'. Did Damien actually write any of the song? I know that some of the lyrics were changed, so did they just change his lyrics to avoid giving him credit or what? It's a great song, but I've always wondered about his involvement with it, as I don't think he's played it since he's been solo.
I don't think anyone knows really except for bellx1 and Damien but my instinct is that he wrote it for 2 reasons, firstly its a great song and as you pointed out bellx1 changed the lyrics from the original version, they did this with some other songs they borrowed from Damien for the 'Neither am I' album aswell.
Manna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:25 AM   #3
jasmineha
Wide eyed and hopeful..

how many of his songs did Bell X1 do? and some of the songs from O he did with juniper? I'm kinda confused.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
glo32
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
It's a great song, but I've always wondered about his involvement with it, as I don't think he's played it since he's been solo.
He has played it a couple of times I think, not as a whole song but more as an intro to Cold Water.
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #5
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Paul wrote it.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quite a lot of songs were from Juniper: Woman Like A Man, I Remember, Insane, Eskimo, Volcano, Face and maybe some more. The Bellies released their version of Volcano and Face.

I think Eve should be mostly a Noonan song, the humour points directly at him.

But when it comes to Juniper, I always have to mention that everyone HAS to listen to the The J-Plane EP, which is the most embarrassing and hilarious **** ever released.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
Manna
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Quite a lot of songs were from Juniper: Woman Like A Man, I Remember, Insane, Eskimo, Volcano, Face and maybe some more. The Bellies released their version of Volcano and Face.

I think Eve should be mostly a Noonan song, the humour points directly at him.

But when it comes to Juniper, I always have to mention that everyone HAS to listen to the The J-Plane EP, which is the most embarrassing and hilarious **** ever released.
Does anyone have any of the recordings off J-plane? It would be interesting to hear it.
Manna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
The Bellies released their version of Volcano and Face.
...and Woman like a Man [b-side to Pinball Machine]
Old 01-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
jasmineha
Wide eyed and hopeful..

I got on youtube last night and listened to some stuff titled "juniper demo" or something. amie, I remember, and the professor. it was crazy how different they were from damien's solo versions. I had no idea they were even out there until yesterday. thanks all.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:20 PM   #10
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandinian View Post
Anyone who plays Guitar has to think Damien wrote (at least) the guitar part to Never.....way to similar to Lonely soldier, Eskimo ( in the chorus) and Cold water (very similar)...excption being Capo 5th fret...and probably probably more songs...these just off top of my head
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:44 AM   #11
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I always thought that Damien had nothing to do with Never... but then lately I've heard a lot of people saying the chords are typical Damien... so I don't know anymore

there's an amazing post-Juniper/Damien solo version of Never that he did at Vicar St, Dublin, 2/2/2004

I always forget which songs are from the Juniper days. I'd say Yoke, Volcano, Eskimo, Woman like a man, Amie, I remember, Then Go, Face, Tongue, Insane, The Professor, Toffee pop, Cross-eyed bear, not sure about Cold Water...

Last edited by borneoman; 06-10-2010 at 12:04 PM.
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:33 PM   #12
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

I agree that Damo wrote it. Not only the chords but the lyrics and melody all sound more like him than the stuff the other guys wrote. Again, the changing of the title and adding of the last (completely nonsensical) verse to justify it and the silly change of tone.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:47 PM   #13
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

the 'you came...I think/but I never really know' line is textbook Damien
Old 06-15-2010, 01:52 PM   #14
verenita
... trusty and true ...

lol! it´s one of my favourites. but i do like the whole song.
i have no idea who wrote it, but since the bellies sing it, i think the copyright belongs to them (or, i better say, to paul).
Old 06-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #15
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^but that's the thing... in the past the Bellies have taken a bunch of Damien songs (Volcano, Face, Tongue, Woman like a Man) and released them themselves...

Last edited by borneoman; 06-15-2010 at 04:25 PM.
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:47 PM   #16
verenita
... trusty and true ...

really? i didn´t know that. i only heard juniper´s version of them, and damien did leading vocals.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #17
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

check Volcano for instance:

(I don't mind the Bellies but they should have left Volcano alone)
Old 06-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #18
verenita
... trusty and true ...

thanks marti. they are really new to me. i will check them out later on.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:10 PM   #19
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Face:

Tongue:
Old 06-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #20
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular

I've never heard those versions before. I wish it would stayed that way lol
eva_arg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:13 PM   #21
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
^but that's the thing... in the past the Bellies have taken a bunch of Damien songs (Volcano, Face, Tongue, Woman like a Man) and released them themselves...

It is obvious when listening to the post 'Neither am I" Bell X1 that most songs from N.A.I are Damiens (or part) ...as 'Music and Mouth'...and especially 'Flock' sound completely different....seems they discovered their own sound after they recovered from damiens absense.....which I don't dislike afterall... they did do a good job with tongue ..and terrible with Volcano.........Damien changed his songs , like I remember, Professsor, W.L.A.M, Volcano, eskimo, completely changed then for the better....

...and it wasnt just Lisa who made some songs better...but Damiens idea to have her that did
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:32 AM   #22
verenita
... trusty and true ...

^^^ wow, i had no idea... maybe they co-wrote all these songs, so they all were allowed to release them.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:53 AM   #23
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^maybe they helped somehow with input or ideas but they're not credited... but I guess they had some agreement that they could use them, not because they have written them but because the songs steam from the Juniper days...

the only one I cannot find on YT is Woman like a Man...
Old 06-16-2010, 11:22 AM   #24
Rai
Eskimontologist

^I'm pretty sure they've co-written these songs as equals. Why couldn't they? On Tongue, for example the Bellies have credited Damien, something he's never done with Paul or any other Juniper member.

Maybe he's still holding a grudge. It must have been hard, screwing your band-mambers royally and heading off for a long vacation in the Italian sun.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:12 PM   #25
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

actually I think it's the other way around. I believe Tongue is a 100% Damien song (as is Volcano) so he should be credited; they added themselves cos they did change the one word/line ala Madonna