Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Trading

Old 05-14-2004, 03:03 AM   #31
pnobles
Eskimo Friend

what hub did you download it from? I know it isn't on sharing the groove. oh god help me if you ever hear my 2004-05-03 beacon show. it will blow everyother damien recording out of the water...
Old 05-14-2004, 03:31 AM   #32
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

The Damien Rice hub we have going now.

damohub.org (DC++) get on pnobles, you'll like it, thanks to sml42 (steven).

And he said 2004.05.03 is coming soon, and he said it was quite good, I can't wait until I hear it.
thierryhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 03:57 AM   #33
pnobles
Eskimo Friend

you wont be hearing my copy. this is all you get

http://udel.edu/~pnobles
Old 05-14-2004, 04:56 AM   #34
Funky Avocado
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thierryhenry
Yeah, well it has worked in the past, so it shall continue, besides I already downloaded the show off the Hub..
But thanks for your help anyway.
Henry- you can get all the shows you want off the hub or whatever flavor of the week DR trading has gone---but judging by your selfish obnoxious behavior on this site you obviously has missed the message in music. It's a shame that people have rewarded you for being an schmuck by sharing their music with you but alas, everyone has their day. I suppose its a sign of the times and the trading scene as a whole which suggests for me to move on to something else that doesn't irritates me so much.

By the way, nice taping policy on your site below. It's ok to come here and be a newbie and beg everyone for a copy of a show including putting us through your freakin love life but you are not willing to help a stranger with a copy of a show.

"I WILL NOT be doing any B+P's for people, that I don't
know/haven't traded with right now because I am too swamped with actual trades and other things at the moment, hope I do not offend anyone, that is just how it is right now"
Funky Avocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 05:44 AM   #35
pnobles
Eskimo Friend

[img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2004, 07:15 AM   #36
sezmo
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnobles

you wont be hearing my copy. this is all you get

http://udel.edu/~pnobles

WOW! That is a beautiful recording. [img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]I'm very impressed with the quality. I'm totally new to this trading thing, but after hearing those clips on your site I'm gonna find out more about it. When I have time that is... should be working now... EskimoFriends is always drawing me away from my work, ha ha. [img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]
sezmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 09:21 AM   #37
AllThatLies
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Yeah, well it has worked in the past, so it shall continue, besides I already downloaded the show off the Hub..

wow, do you even realize how close i am to hoarding my future damo recordings just so people like you can't get them?
AllThatLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 09:39 AM   #38
sezmo
Eskimo Regular

I can fully understand that AllThatLies. It's obvious that tapers put a lot of time and energy (not to mention money for equipment) into making these recordings, and are very generous in sharing them with others. And people should not just take it for granted that they can have whatever recordings they want whenever they want.

This is why I plan to find out as much as I can about the proper procedure and etiquette before I even approach anyone or respond to B+P offers or whatever.
sezmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 03:54 PM   #39
pnobles
Eskimo Friend

QUOTE] wow, do you even realize how close i am to hoarding my future damo recordings just so people like you can't get them?[/quote]

[img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2004, 04:06 PM   #40
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Avocado
Quote:
Henry- you can get all the shows you want off the hub or whatever flavor of the week DR trading has gone---but judging by your selfish obnoxious behavior on this site you obviously has missed the message in music. It's a shame that people have rewarded you for being an schmuck by sharing their music with you but alas, everyone has their day. I suppose its a sign of the times and the trading scene as a whole which suggests for me to move on to something else that doesn't irritates me so much.

By the way, nice taping policy on your site below. It's ok to come here and be a newbie and beg everyone for a copy of a show including putting us through your freakin love life but you are not willing to help a stranger with a copy of a show.

know/haven't traded with right now because I am too swamped with actual trades and other things at the moment, hope I do not offend anyone, that is just how it is right now"
First of all, my self obnoxious behaivor on this board, has been directly ONLY TO one person, and that is natekeegan. And most of it wasn't even serious at all. I am an esteemed trader in the Radiohead Community, I have been collecting for years, and have done it properly. I AM a newbie to the Damien Rice community (in aspects of trading and such), and don't really have the obbessive I have with Radiohead as I do with Damien, so I am a little laid back.

The reason for that statement on my site, was because I was getting 5-10 emails a day from people in the Radiohead community requesting DVD's. (Particuraly Houston 98 and Astoria 94 which we LONG SOUGHT AFTER). I got my burner (DVD-RW) about 2-3 weeks ago, and had to do a 15 DVD disc B+P for a guy (he bought me the drive to do it), and the set up trades for the remaining things I needed. I DIDN'T AND STILL DON'T have time to answer 5-10 emails a day and do B+P's for those DVD's @ the moment (as the above statement read, and that you astutely observed). If you knew the kind of member I was at Radiohead, and the amount of B+P's I did for 10.01.2003 and 10.02.2003 (two hoarded shows that I found after a trade with a guy on etree, tbat created a racuous in the community, since Coluzzi [you probably know him if you are an aware taper] made outrageous claims about hoarding these two shows and that NO ONE FOREVER WOULD HAVE THEM.] When I found these two shows, I did EVERYTHING in my power to get them to everyone who wanted them. I think (I am still doing B+P's for Houston) I have done about 35-40 B+p's for that show. So please don't tell me about B+P's or what my f**kin site says about them because I know plenty more about them than you.

If my attitude on here affected you negatively I'm sorry, it was mostly a joke towards natekeegan and none of you should take it that seriously (anything written on a MB should not be taken to a life or death standpoint). So please chill out, and as for Pnobles I hope you don't hoard your recording because of me, I really never meant to piss you off.

As for the point of my love life (natekeegan) that doesn't need to be brought into this discussion please. I am just getting over the drama.

Old 05-14-2004, 04:06 PM   #41
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Avocado
Quote:

Old 05-14-2004, 05:06 PM   #42
sml42
Eskimo Friend

Since I'm the person who has set up the direct connect hub, I guess that makes me at least partly responsible... I feel obliged to step in here with some comments.

First of all, let me remind everyone that the taper, Patrick, has gone on public record (in another thread here on eskimofriends) that he does NOT want to see the 4-15 and 4-16 (nor indeed any of his shows) shows appear on sharingthegroove, period.

Let us not forget he is a taper, and without tapers there would be no shows to trade. I have the utmost respect for all tapers, and so should you. Please respect Patricks wishes.

On the subject of STG: some people think *everything* should be torrented. I disagree. It is another tool, and it has it's place. Certainly there should be SOME torrents, to keep the momentum going... but NOT every single show. STG is, in general, full of leechers. I know, I seeded an orbital video there... within minutes of the first completed download... they disconnected leaving me once more the sole seed; within days I saw the video offered for sale on ebay. I spent an entire 4 days uploading... "frustrated" does not come close. At one point I offered to seed some damien shows on STG... but I was told not to - and so I didn't. That's cool, I totally understand the concerns, given my experiences.

But what are the options? Well unless anything has changed recently, you've basically got mail trades, or Mario's ftp. Mail trading is cool; the anticipation of waiting... the excitement of receiving... the pleasure of listening.

ftp is cool too; Mario's ftp has an awful lot of cool shows, and I've got a lot of respect for the service provided, and for the time and effort that must take to run.

HOWEVER... and this is key to why I started the hub. Damien is becoming incredibly popular. I know this, because there is a whole bunch of people posting here. The most recent torrent pulled in around 400 downloads - that's a lot of fans. Mario's ftp is nigh-on impossible to connect to anymore. There is a perceived (by me at least) frustration that newcomers cannot connect, and cannot even begin to listen to all the great material that's out there. For every b+p thread that comes around - there is always a dozen or more people disappointed that they missed out (e.g. this thread!). There have been several threads asking about direct connect hubs.

I felt this was something the fans wanted, and that the time was right.

Make no mistake: I've had to put a lot of effort in to make this work. I've had to buy new hardware. I've had to pay for a domain. I've had to write a website. I've had to setup the hub itself. I've had to maintain the hub. I'm still maintaining it now, with help from some very good friends. Am I looking for sympathy? Not really. Am I looking for understanding? You bet.

Why have I done this? Back in january I hadn't even heard of Damien. In february I saw him live. All I can say is: wow. I was moved so such that I went and found Marios ftp, and over the next few months downloaded most of the shows. And now, I want to give something back to the community. I don't have enough bandwidth to run an ftp, but I do have the time and inclination to run a hub. Especially when I perceived a need for one.

Now, some people have levelled criticisms at the hub as being too public, and too open to abuse. Those are valid points, so I feel the need to respond. Certainly the hub is public - we will not turn away any fans and certainly it is 'open' in the sense that no registration is required. I could perhaps argue that Marios ftp is public, since the address/user/pass are common knowledge, but that is straying from the point. However it is certainly a LONG way from STG. The maximum number of users we have had to date, is 20. The hub has realtime chat; new members are made welcome. We have a very strict set of rules on what constitutes acceptable and unacceptable behaviour - and we enforce them. No shows are stored on the hub: it is merely a connecting place for damien fans - the users share the shows. In that respect it is akin to a distributed ftp model.

We are trying to be a pleasant, focussed community. I'm doing everything in my power to make it so. We want to work with the tapers; we want to bring new shows to the community; we want to respect the tapers wishes. All new shows we seed on the hub, will be with the tapers permission. We want to coexist with the existing trading channels... please help us to achieve this!

Apologies for the long and sometimes rambling post. There. I feel better now! :-)

best regards,
stephen
sml42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 05:13 PM   #43
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

I appreciate everything sml42 has done for the HUB and the Damien Rice community as a whole. Thank you so much steven, you've helped with me everything relating to Damo..

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:45 PM   #44
murphusa
Eskimo Friend

As someone who tapes almost every show I go to be it Damian, Patty Griffin, Springsteen and others, I always thought it was the right thing to do to offer shows out to other fans. But in the past year or so my thoughts have changed. Too many people thought it was ok from them to take my work and put it out on their torrents, hubs whatever. They never thought to ask. Never really cared, nor did they give the credit, they took it all. That is why I agree with the stance taken by Patrick and Funky. Since I took the time, effort to record the show, master it and spent the money to buy the equipment, I now will only trade with other tapers who appriciate the work that goes into it.

Patrick and Funky and a few others have always been helpful in the quest for good shows and have also shown respect for other people on the board and their work. Maybe Henry needs to take a few lessons

Murphusa
Old 05-15-2004, 02:40 AM   #45
cnpubwear
Eskimo Regular

i just started taping so maybe my perspective will change but one of the primary reasons I began taping was to give back to the community from which i was taking.

I assume others will do the same and thats how the community grows and there are more shows in circulation, of course along the way you get rude people and leachers but rude people dont always stay rude and leachers sometimes start to seed, chances are they just dont really know how things work, and in the end even if they just leach and run and didnt appreciate it someone else probably did so its still worth it.

so I'll share what i do, until i become jaded too but i hope that doesnt happen, cause i only listen to damien because i got a show on sharingthegroove, and im guessing there are others like me who will discover him through popular trading sites.

For those who dont want to be torrented, put it in the info files that way others will know not to...
cnpubwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 09:45 AM   #46
sml42
Eskimo Friend

To Murphusa:

To reiterate what I said in my previous post... all new seeds I bring to our hub, will be with the tapers permission. Of course I have no control over the other members, but I would hope they will agree with me.

Don't dismiss us out of hand; do please come along and check us out... your opinion may change :-)

Following on from cnpubwear:

Again, to reiterate what I wrote above: the reason I started the hub was to give something back to the community.

And to everyone: I, too, have just started taping. I intend to give freely back to the community, although I concede my opinion may change over time. We shall see.

best regards,
stephen
sml42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 01:17 AM   #47
coluzzi
Eskimo Baby

Hi folks,

it looks like ole Thenry has wormed his way onto yet another message board where he doesn't belong. I'm not aware of a lot of MP3 trading going on in the Damien Rice community but then again it may be popular. I'll tell you one crew it's not popular with, the tapers, i.e. the folks that provide all these wonderful shows you trade. You see Thierryhenry and his mp3 loving pals over in radiohead land used to boast that they could not wait to make MP3s of the entire 2003, against the taper's wishes of course. Well one of the tapersdecided to withhold a couple shows from circulation and I became his mouthpeice seeing as he was shy and afraid to speak up. Well ole Thenry did his best and found some alternate sources of a couple of shows in question but refuses to let the whole issue drop. I see he's found his way into your little nest over here. In order to avoid seeing the recordings you share with him end up in MP3 I would suggest a simple IP address ban, send him packing, at least until after he gets out of high school and perhaps loses his virginity, granted that's going to be awhile.....

Alex

P.S. as a waste of space tax I'm posting a b/p. enjoy.

coluzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 04:08 AM   #48
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

Nice of you join the board Alex.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:26 AM   #49
AllThatLies
Eskimo Regular

yup, this community probably won't be seeing my future recordings (at least not until someone tells me you've been banned..though you'll just get your friends to coem here for you if you want shows enough. it'll still be a step in the right direction). they'll be out there, but you'll have to look.

and henry, congrats on taking some of the best damo tapers out of the game. you should be proud. [img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]

and oh yea, show you can do SOMETHING right and fix the link in your signature.
AllThatLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 11:08 AM   #50
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

Your superior recordings will surely be missed, thanks for sharing that with us.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:18 AM   #51
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by coluzzi

Hi folks,

it looks like ole Thenry has wormed his way onto yet another message board where he doesn't belong. I'm not aware of a lot of MP3 trading going on in the Damien Rice community but then again it may be popular. I'll tell you one crew it's not popular with, the tapers, i.e. the folks that provide all these wonderful shows you trade. You see Thierryhenry and his mp3 loving pals over in radiohead land used to boast that they could not wait to make MP3s of the entire 2003, against the taper's wishes of course. Well one of the tapers*decided to withhold a couple shows from circulation and I became his mouthpeice seeing as he was shy and afraid to speak up. Well ole Thenry did his best and found some alternate sources of a couple of shows in question but refuses to let the whole issue drop. I see he's found his way into your little nest over here. In order to avoid seeing the recordings you share with him end up in MP3 I would suggest a simple IP address ban, send him packing, at least until after he gets out of high school and perhaps loses his virginity, granted that's going to be awhile.....

Alex

P.S. as a waste of space tax I'm posting a b/p. enjoy.

Also Alex, as I've said on STG and this board, I think EVERY one of my Damo recordings is in loseless burnt to audio cd's sitting in my room right now (other than like the KCRW sessions, which I plan to have here soon). I also told you on STG (if you could decipher sentences) that more than HALF of my Radiohead collection is no backed up in loseless. I have been for the most part converted, and do respect the tapers, so what was in the past, is in the past. But if you still want to come here and stir up trouble, that is fine..
Old 05-18-2004, 06:19 PM   #52
Funky Avocado
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
But if you still want to come here and stir up trouble, that is fine..
120 post in 3 short weeks becoming the wart of this trading board and you are going to accuse someone else of "stirring up trouble". Blah blah blah
Funky Avocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 07:02 PM   #53
jayavo
Eskimo Regular

i see that people still dont feel the need to respect tapers....whether this guy or others....

i think they need to teach the difference between a right and a privilege in school. abuse any privilege and it gets taken away. i just hope the tapers know for the most part thatwe , those of us in the habit of collecting live shows, appreciate what they do.

peace

jason

Old 05-18-2004, 08:00 PM   #54
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

Yeah I did stir up trouble, but not ACTUAL trouble, just fake trouble, all that was a joke d00d, chill.

Coluzzi and I really actually do hate each other (in real life).
Old 05-19-2004, 03:16 AM   #55
coluzzi
Eskimo Baby

Thenry, you're always going to be known as the MP3 loving high school child that you are. You should do the Damien Rice loving community a favor and go f**k off. Perhaps come back when you've taped a show you feel comfortable sharing. I shall be sure to give it a solid listen and post a review.

Alex
Old 05-19-2004, 03:40 AM   #56
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

I tried to tape the Odeon, and f**ked up (not really, the complete story is: I had my Sony and everything ready, I didn't get my mic in time from SP so I was forced to take my computer microphone [only thing i had lying around] and clip it down my sweatshirt and use it. So I am there, and everything is cool, [I have 5 solid songs on MD if you'd like to listen], and then a guy about 2 feet in front of us was asked to leave by venue security for taking pictures [seemed harsh but he got kicked out]. Security was perched about stage, and I'm sure could see what I checking/manipulating something throughout the show, so after the 5th song I decided to stop and enjoy the concert, while was worth it.) A couple of weeks ago, I used my SP Stereo T Mic with my Sony Mz-R55 and booted a short 15 minute set of one of the local bands here in our auditorium. If you'd like to listen to that, I convert it, remastered it in SF 6.0, etc. etc. Did everything properly, and now is on my HD in FLAC format with fingerprints and everything. So I think you should be happy that I am doing things properly....

Anyway, naturally it will no where as good as your recordings, because you have $2000 gear, opposed to mine $100 gear. You have experience, I have little to none, so you don't need to flame me for being an amateur, because you were once one too. And if you'd like me to get a better rig ( I am gonna tape Modest Mouse 2 dates this summer, if not more bands) you can surely send me some money to get a DAT and a SchoepsMK4 or something. Other thatn that, I already know your "review."

So you can save it.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:52 AM   #57
coluzzi
Eskimo Baby

I was once an amateur that's for sure. And I learned my craft from respecting my elders and not being a little f**king turd which is all you are pal. You keep pissing people off and find out exactly where it gets you.

Here's your first f**king lesson you little pissant, unless you are selling recordings, which would not surprise me, they are called "live recordings" not "bootlegs". You are "taping" not "bootlegging". The only thing that is getting booted around here is your ass pal.

Alex
Old 05-19-2004, 04:03 AM   #58
pnobles
Eskimo Friend

Quote:

you can surely send me some money to get a DAT and a SchoepsMK4 or something.

why would you get schoeps, when you could get neumanns?

- pat ( who is bring back the peace )
Old 05-19-2004, 04:39 PM   #59
thierryhenry
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by coluzzi

I was once an amateur that's for sure. And I learned my craft from respecting my elders and not being a little f**king turd which is all you are pal. You keep pissing people off and find out exactly where it gets you.

Here's your first f**king lesson you little pissant, unless you are selling recordings, which would not surprise me, they are called "live recordings" not "bootlegs". You are "taping" not "bootlegging". The only thing that is getting booted around here is your ass pal.

Alex
Thanks for the advice, and verification of words.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:46 PM   #60
cnpubwear
Eskimo Regular

Coluzzi its great if you wanna start hanging around but if you just wanna stir things u p with ThierryHenry maybe you can do that in pm.
cnpubwear is offline   Reply With Quote