Old 08-03-2012, 05:17 AM   #2
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Sounds kinda like a James Vincent mcmorrow song
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

This was my first time listening to it and my thoughts are quite different.

Damien George Rice has been my favorite songwriter since I first heard him just over 10 years ago and a big part of the reason why is the way he constantly surprises me with re-invention just when I think I've seen everything he can do. What he's accomplished here is a whole new level of maturity. Up until now, his lyrical hallmark has been heartfelt passion mixed with sophisticated wordplay and a seemingly encyclopedic knowledge of poetic form. The former and latter are still there and are so inherently part of him that I believe they always will be.

The revolutionary aspect here is that although he's always had moments of it, he's never fully allowed himself to rely entirely on phrases so direct and simple in their truth that a child could have written them, were it not for all the wisdom and sexuality they convey. He's essentially gone from painting with near photorealistic detail to scribbling stick figures which still cede none of the power in that translation due to the purity and clarity of intent which renders them so beautiful and touching.

The first artist to ever make that kind of seismic shift, thereby (intentionally or not) creating the very concepts of minimalism and abstraction in the last sculptures of his life was Michelangelo. Feeling the need to embellish has been stripped away. Taking all this time apart has resulted in finally penning the elusive, infamous "short letter". As Guare would have it, Damo taught himself "when to take the drawing away". It's a return to the most rudimentary of fundamentals and the willingness to embrace the kind of essential innocence you began with in order to relearn your craft anew is both admirably courageous and comforting through the liberation of reassurance, all at the same time. The discovery of the confidence to trust that you are already enough.

Lyrics:

I made you laugh, I made you cry
I made you open up your eyes.
Didn't i?

I helped you open out your wings
Your legs and many other things.
Didn't I?

Am I the greatest bastard that you know?
The only one who let you go?
The one you hurt so much you cannot bear...

Well, we were good when we were good
When we were not misunderstood.

You helped me love, you helped me live.
You helped me learn how to forgive.
Didn't you?

I wish that I could say the same
But when you left, you left the blame.
Didn't you?

Am I the greatest bastard that you met?
The only one you can forget
Am I the one your truth's been waiting for?

Or am I just dreaming once again?
Some dreams are better in the end.

I just woke in bed
And you were in my head.
I was underground
And in a dream,
Past this place I'm not supposed to be
And you were there waiting for me.
And with a smile you said:
"It's been a while"
You asked if I had seen her recently.

Am I the greatest bastard that you know?
When will we learn to let this go?
We've fought so much we've broken all the charts.
But letting go is not the same
As pushing someone else away.

So please don't let on you don't know me.
Please don't let on that I'm not here.
Please don't let on you don't love me:
'Cause I know you do.
I know you do.
Somewhere.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Nice review, Mr. Cleese.

It seems that the video has been taken down. Is there a chance anyone was smarter than I and converted it to an mp3 and if so would they email it to me? I really do enjoy the lyrics. Please and thank you.

Also anyone have any idea who this could possibly be about?????? Jk
Old 08-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
Beauseant
Little green

Default Hi :)

First thing first, I'm kind of new at this forum, even though I'm reading here for a about a half a year now, so it's about time for me to join, so hi

Second, I've heard so much of this song that I just can't wait for a new youTube vid / mp3 file...

Looks like we're getting Damo back!
Beauseant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
glo32
Eskimo Regular

If anyone ripped the video or converted it to mp3, please do not post it to youtube.
Everytime he has played this song, Damien asked not to record and not to share. He has only played it at acoustic aftershows with few people, in a very intimate situation, and that must mean something... it means the song is not finished, or he's still not ready to share it with the world, or whatever...
It shouldn't be hard to do it... we did it with Accidental Babies before, I'm sure we can keep this song (or Comfort You, or What Have You Done To Her Face) secret for a while... I know many people here have youtube accounts (I have one myself) and would like thousands of views for a video, but I'd rather have aftershow in the future... Damien has been very open to fans in this latest tour, please respect his will on this, and don't betray his trust.
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #7
genia
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shillelagh View Post
Nice review, Mr. Cleese.

It seems that the video has been taken down. Is there a chance anyone was smarter than I and converted it to an mp3 and if so would they email it to me? I really do enjoy the lyrics. Please and thank you.

Also anyone have any idea who this could possibly be about?????? Jk
Ditto for me...anything? anybody ?? You know he may be touring the states next and then We will be the ones with the goodies....please share...I begging
genia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #8
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by glo32 View Post
If anyone ripped the video or converted it to mp3, please do not post it to youtube.
. it means the song is not finished, or he's still not ready to share it with the world, or whatever...
^ I hope it is not done, because I am not that into it musically...yes maybe cool lyrics, but it's the music we need to enjoy too.....But I agree it is not finished and it will sound better when complete and recorded, cuz a lot of the 'outdoor intimate' versions of his songs dont sound great...I.E. grey room and 'wild and free' didnt sound that good during same session
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
riodejanero
Eskimo Baby

Finally, my account got activated! Whoever activated my account, thank you thank you so much! I am Jan, from the Philippines but currently working in Germany, and I flew from Germany to Florence to watch his gig there, I've always been wishing to see Damien live so I was so happy when this recent tour was announced at his Facebook page. The Austria gig would have been closer but it was a Wednesday so when I learned that the Florence gig was on a Saturday I booked the gig and plane tickets right away!

I love Damien Rice, he is one of the few remaining artists nowadays who kept the passion and the angst in his songs. Also, he is the humblest artist I've ever seen who would be doing an intimate and amazing aftershow with his fans like the one he did in Firenze. Glen Hansard was known to do it too sometimes but when I saw him in Prague he didn't so Damien Rice was my first ever aftershow, haha.

I'll be sharing some footage from the Florence gig, I'm keeping them in HD so the import to my Mac and the upload to Youtube are taking a while. But I think keeping them in HD would be helpful for anyone who might want to do a homemade DVD of his recent tour (if anyone is, can I have a copy please?). This is my small contribution and sign of my appreciation for letting me join this forum.

I've also been covering some of Damien Rice's songs, and before I left for Florence, I covered Amie and Lonely Soldier. I'm currently learning Bottom Shelf to complete a 3-in-a-row tribute to this great man. If anyone would like to check them out, here are the links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcQWJ-6QE0g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9j7BFXsgdI

The man is an inspiration to me and is a big influence to how I play the guitar and sing. I know I'm still raw, but I wanna get better and hopefully have the balls to jam with him at one of the aftershows in the future (I'm making this one of my personal motivations).

Cheers to everyone!
riodejanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #10
A Girl That Does Yoga
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Same here! I really wish to hear it, I promise I won't send it around :P
A Girl That Does Yoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #11
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Spamlet, you sure it's "underground" cos I kinda thought it was "on the ground"... cos first time in Paris I couldn't understand this part and then in Rome I paid specific attention to this part and I kinda thought he did say "on the ground"... I also paid special attention to Back to her Man and pretty sure he sings "power"

for me The Bastard is already my #1 Damo song both melody and lyrics for me it's really like The Blower's Daughter part 3 I will never forget the experience of hearing the song for the first time in Paris with like 10-20 people maximum with all of us sitting on a circle and Damo playing in the middle, kneeling on the floor, at like 1 m from us!!

and also the best thing in Paris is that no one went and put it on YT. I agree with what Glo said above, when an artist does an aftershow for the few fans out there and asks again and again please not to put on YT, I think people should respect that, you're really betraying his trust if you don't. Was very disappointed to see a clip of Back to Her Man from Firenze on YT cos Damo asked again and again not to tape it, like a hundred times telling people to turn off the cameras and just enjoy but alas... and same with this one... I'd say sharing by pm is ok but not on YT
Old 08-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #12
Beauseant
Little green

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
I will never forget the experience of hearing the song for the first time in Paris with like 10-20 people maximum with all of us sitting on a circle and Damo playing in the middle, kneeling on the floor, at like 1 m from us!!
Ah, the jealousy... Glad for you though!

And I agree about the YT part.
Beauseant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #13
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular

I'm late to the party also. if anyone has this vid/mp3 I'd really appreciate a PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #14
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post

and also the best thing in Paris is that no one went and put it on YT.
^No Youtube 10 yrs ago. brilliant
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #15
riodejanero
Eskimo Baby

So the Paris gig where he first sang the song was 10 yrs ago?

Does anyone have the mp3 or lyrics of the song "What Have You Done to Her Face"? That's the only song I haven't heard from among the new ones.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #16
nassau
Nassau

Does anyone have the greatest bastard as an mp3 that they would be willing to share via pm?
nassau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #17
A Girl That Does Yoga
Eskimo Friend

Beside 'The Box' (Wild and Free) and 'No one need know' I haven't heard any of the new ones, so whoever has some please PM me
Old 08-05-2012, 04:46 AM   #18
QueenOfTheSouth
Eskimo Friend

Thanks for the lyrics. Even though I've never had the chance to hear this one, I don't think I'll ever be ready for an album version. I can tell it's a very intimate song, and playing it live by the fireside around 10-20 people seems like the only way it can be truly expressed. Same with "Wild and Free".
I think Damien's outdone himself with this one, lyrically. So simple, so truthful, so achingly beautiful. Here's a man that's no longer beating himself up with self-hate, self-blame, and self-regret. He's not on his knees, begging. He's ready to own up to the past and all the expectations around him. He's ready to move on, but he just needs to reconcile one last thing. Lisa, are you listening?

I just love these lines.
QueenOfTheSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #19
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Marti,

Can't be sure since I can't re-listen to it with the video link gone but IIRC it sounded pretty clear unlike the "powder/power" situation where I conceded it could be either one since there was an audio issue there. If you're willing to pm me your version I'm happy to give it another spin to check since I had no reason to suspect it was anything other than what it sounded like. Edit: on the yt versions at least it's definitely "under". This new upload was much louder and that part couldn't have been clearer.

I'm also certainly down to transcribe lyrics for the two other brand new ones if any of you guys who taped them are willing to pm share those too.

EM,
Again, I have the opposite reaction about the music too. The simplicity I praised is even more evident in the sparseness of the guitar and the plaintive yet breathtakingly gorgeous melody. I wouldn't add a note of another instrument. The veteran Eskimo above who said the beach campfire was the perfect atmosphere was dead on. The only accompaniment i needed was the equally quiet, distant tide and the moonlight. Delicate and perfectly designed as a spider web.

Finally, Shill- Wasn't familiar with McMorrow so I yt-ed several tracks by him and didn't hear anything that even remotely approached a similarity to Damo's style. Was there one tune in particular? Now, I will admit the "la-di-da" outro did really immediately make me think I'd heard that part somewhere before (which was different from anything else in the song up until then) in a more famous, probably older song and so for a second I thought he was transitioning directly into a cover but i still couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Last edited by Spamlet; 08-06-2012 at 05:25 AM.
Spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #20
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfTheSouth View Post
Thanks for the lyrics. Even though I've never had the chance to hear this one, I don't think I'll ever be ready for an album version. I can tell it's a very intimate song, and playing it live by the fireside around 10-20 people seems like the only way it can be truly expressed. Same with "Wild and Free".
I think Damien's outdone himself with this one, lyrically. So simple, so truthful, so achingly beautiful. Here's a man that's no longer beating himself up with self-hate, self-blame, and self-regret. He's not on his knees, begging. He's ready to own up to the past and all the expectations around him. He's ready to move on, but he just needs to reconcile one last thing. Lisa, are you listening?

I just love these lines.
^You nailed it couldn't agree more...
Old 08-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #21
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

a friend of mine was telling me now that you know when a song is good cos you could use every single line for a tattoo and that's the case with The Bastard
Old 08-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #22
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet View Post

Finally, Shill- Wasn't familiar with McMorrow so I yt-ed several tracks by him and didn't hear anything that even remotely approached a similarity to Damo's style. Was there one tune in particular? Now, I will admit the "la-di-da" outro did really immediately make me think I'd heard that part somewhere before (which was different from anything else in the song up until then) in a more famous, probably older song and so for a second I thought he was transitioning directly into a cover but i still couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Not really his album full band stuff but acoustic. Just when it's just himself and his guitar it sounds very similar, very minimalistic, crescendo-ing singing/lyrics, and yes the la's, the di's and, of course, the da's.

Maybe not spot on but having just seen him live again I'm probably in that space where I'm hearing bits and pieces everywhere. But remotely approach?? Come on, really?
Old 08-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #23
riodejanero
Eskimo Baby

Someone just uploaded The Greatest Bastard once again. :-(
*REMOVED*

Last edited by Wheels; 08-06-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #24
A Girl That Does Yoga
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by riodejanero View Post
Someone just uploaded The Greatest Bastard once again. :-(
*REMOVED*
And it is mine photo from Charles bridge
Well, at least I can finally hear it - and it is amazing! 8D

Last edited by Wheels; 08-06-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:35 AM   #25
nassau
Nassau

is there anyway to ask youtube to take it down?
nassau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:36 AM   #26
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Someone record it first
Old 08-06-2012, 01:36 AM   #27
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

YouTube to mp3 have all been taken down by google
Old 08-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #28
A Girl That Does Yoga
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
YouTube to mp3 have all been taken down by google
I managed to put it in mp3, I have program - anyone who want the songs, PM me the e-mail
Old 08-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #29
glo32
Eskimo Regular

who is this damiensongs guy? is he an eskimo?
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #30
A Girl That Does Yoga
Eskimo Friend

Perhaps, as this is the only place where I put picture from Charles bridge beside my facebook page which is private.