Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 07-31-2006, 05:40 PM   #1
simog
Born an Eskimo

Default To sing along or not to sing along? That is the question

I was sitting having a listen to the July 7th gig and was (only a little bit) surprised to hear so many people singing along to the chorus of The Blower's Daughter.

I was wondering what people's feeling were about singing along at concerts.

Personally I'm not a fan of it.

Now I like singing the odd Damo song (or twenty) myself, but I try to keep it contained to my own house. I kind of feel that when I go to a concert everyone has paid their money to hear the artist sing, not a group of fans who simply end up sounding like a drunken football crowd.

I can cope with the odd gentle "la-la-la" when appropriate, but I have to say that 300 people singing "I can't take my eyeeeeees, off you" really doesn't do it for me.

Let me know what you think.

Simon
simog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:57 PM   #2
Greenmeanie
green and mean

I'm afraid I do it, it's involuntary I can't help myself! But I understand what you mean, I'd hate if everyone was singing along, especially on the quiet bits.

This is so bad...but at the first Damien gig I went to, Lisa wasn't there, and so me and my friend did her harmony bits on older chests (you know, the 'time, there's always time' bits). My god when I think of it now I'm horrified, but we just both did it as a spontaneous thing. We were in tune tho (we've both sung in choirs and stuff), and it was really quiet, only the people right next to us would have heard, but still. Yeah, it's wrong, down with that sort of thing.
Greenmeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:13 PM   #3
ancyuber
Eskimo Regular

Im fine with it at concerts like... the Incubus I went to or the Cake(infact they told us to sing along) concert. Those types of music are just asking you to sing and get involved in the concert(to me). But at the concert of Howie Day I went to I wouldnt want anyone to sing along. Especially at a Damien Rice concert(which I havent been ) I wouldnt want anyone to sing along.

Especially especially Acoustic songs. Thats a big no no to sing along. =)

Just lip sync people, it doesnt hurt anyone... Unless you are suppose to be the one singing between skits on SNL.
ancyuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:25 PM   #4
kkraft
Eskimo Baby

at the shows I've seen, i was really happy that for the most part, people didn't sing along. but i did notice some singing to blower's daughter as well. i think it's more appropriate at some shows than others, but i liked listening to damien and lisa and only them singing...i got slightly annoyed when i heard others joining in - i can sing along to them in my own time at home, but treasure the moments i get to see them live!
Old 07-31-2006, 07:11 PM   #5
mickey13086
Eskimo with a name..Chris

Genuine singing along can happen and as long as it doesnt overpower damien, i don't care.

and some songs are meant for it...ie "i'll see your heart, and ill raise you mine..." by bellx1.

i guess personal preference.

MySpace
mickey13086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:25 PM   #6
eskimoiowa
eskimoiowa

I don't know that it's possible (at some shows) to NOT sing along, so yeah, I think if you are not screaming along or overpowering the performer... it's cool!!
Old 07-31-2006, 07:48 PM   #7
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Depends on the song, depends on the act. If it's anything vaguely rocky then it's cool. As a songwriter I think it'd be really cool of people sung along to my songs while i was playing them at a gig. Not happened yet though, I hate my audiences.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:24 PM   #8
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmeanie
. Yeah, it's wrong, down with that sort of thing.
FATHER TED: DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING!!
DOUGAL: Careful now...
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:29 PM   #9
Greenmeanie
green and mean

yup
Greenmeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:35 PM   #10
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

im definately against sing alongs at gigs.. i paid money to hear someone else sing so why should i hear a drunken fool singing out of tune at a gig
i think damien gigs have been ruined by that for me

however
i went to a tom mcrae gig in whelans about 3 or 4 years ago and the crowd hummed silently the lyrics to his songs. it was the most peacefull singalong ive ever heard and it made the hairs on my neck stand up..

in summary i dislike it at gigs. but of course it does depend on the type of gig as ian said. they can be good and woefull. depends on what idiot is singing behind you i guess

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:15 AM   #11
emmy
Eskimo Friend

I have to go with the "it depends" answer as well. At the Borgata concert on Saturday I was strangely ok with it when people were singing along to Eskimo - I even thought it kind of added something, but wanted to shush the entire audience during Blower's Daughter. I didn't notice people singing along to the other songs.

I used to go to Steve Miller Band every year and that is one concert that I think it should be a requirement to sing along to every song at. I think there's a difference between say, a Steve Miller and a real artist like Damien. Steve Miller doesn't mess with his songs at all, but Damien is constantly changing the music live and you just can't be singing along when something like that is happening.
emmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:52 AM   #12
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

i like when people sing along.. not throughout the whole gig but at the appropriate moment it can be a beautiful thing..

when i saw damien in 2004 and the frames were with him they were all up on stage together for the encore, and glen got us all singing along to the blowers daughter (as glen does ) i hesitated because i know damien doesn't usually like that.. but right then it was a way for the crowd to show how much they loved his music and it turned into a really beautiful moment..

i think it depends on the artist and whether they welcome that kind of thing or not.. some discourage it and some openly encourage it.. it's a way for everybody to connect if they do, singing together with a crowd can be really unifying. it's why we have national anthems and team songs and such, i suppose.
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:33 AM   #13
MsChameleon
An Eskimo in California

Hm,I always tend to sing along at concerts.I make it a whisper though because I definitely do not want to ruin anyone's experience.I love when singer/songwriters ask you to join in though and help out.
MsChameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:47 PM   #14
Naveed
Black Irish... seriously

I think its great... and the bands sure do like it..
i know i do...

i have a version of Our Lady Peaces '4 A.M'

where all their vocalist says is "I Walked around my good intentions" and the crowd sings the whole song without him... and he just plays guitar...

that has to be a great feeling.
Naveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:34 PM   #15
brookefield
slightly colder water...

...to each his own...

i just punch the annoying people in the face, and stand next to the ones with pretty voices. if i'm not in the mood for a sing along, i stand by the speakers and glare at the crowd like a madman.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:33 PM   #16
Timeé
Intello

you should have sense enough to know whether to or not

the frames are a band that are a definite yes-yes to sing along to.
Set-list emphasises that. that record is made so much more special.

Glen hansard actually sometimes gives or encourages the crowd to sing a simple melody to sometimes enhance his songs, make it that little bit special.

But damien is a totally different artist and only some songs would be acceptable i think... i mean stuff like Lisdoonvarna and maybe something like Heaven Belongs to you.

i hate when people do it when you shouldnt.
i wouldnt mind but its always the people that Can't sing.
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:04 AM   #17
cille
creepycute

people should shut the **** up at 'quiter' gigs, except maybe for a few passages where it seems appropriate to sing along. and then there are DIFFERENT ways of singing along - there's the soft voiced choir, can be pretty good and lovely - and then there's the SCREAM-ALONG people. They f*cking ruined a David Gray gig for me.
Quote:
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABYYYLOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOON
Old 08-03-2006, 05:23 AM   #18
Ranting Thespian
Eskimo Regular

if you go to a DMB show, pretty much EVERYONE in the whole ampitheater or stadium sings along. I love it when they have the whole band playing their song the Stone. When Dave plays it solo or with Tim, he sings parts of Elvis's song "Wise Man". When the bad does it, he doesn't sing it, but the audience chimes in during the outro part . . .

wise men say, only fools fall in love, but I can't help falling in love, with you . . .

Then the intense outro.

Also, in two of their songs they encourage the audience to shot WOOOOOO! During the "Stop Time" intro to Warehouse, or the main riff to Joy Ride. Listening to Joy Ride without the WOOOs just doesn't seem right to me
Ranting Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote