Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 09-03-2015, 09:41 PM   #1
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Default Damien Rice - Hypnosis (Official Music Video)

From NPR: Damien Rice Releases 'Hypnosis' Video From 'The Prophet' Soundtrack

http://www.npr.org/event/music/43700...ntent=20150903
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:45 AM   #2
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

Ah what is this crap. Came here after listening to O to try and find some new damo music. This is terrible.
Dean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:08 PM   #3
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^ check Mustard Seeds or Stoic instead
Old 09-11-2015, 12:27 PM   #4
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean C View Post
Ah what is this crap. Came here after listening to O to try and find some new damo music. This is terrible.
lol! i coulnd´t help laughing. i can imagine your disappointment but you can´t forget this song is meant to fit in a story

also, follow marti´s suggestion, great advice.

i hope you are keeping well
Old 09-14-2015, 07:37 PM   #5
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

I really love it. Can't stop listening and believe this will prove to be a seminal piece of work when we look back (hopefully, many decades from now) on his entire career. The music itself is brilliant, complexly layered and full of surprising twists. The tempo and beat have a wonderfully jazzy swagger and a sass which shows how the man will continue expanding himself in directions no one ever saw coming and the lyrics are mysterious, paradoxical and deceptively simple. A very interesting spin on a love story in that they are about a man's struggle to find the crativity living somewhere deep inside. Call it a sequel to "The Box" where the man has finally gotten past his self-loathing and is now attempting to reconcile his desire to express with his lack of imagination, inspiration and confidence. He's voicing that frustration which every true artist constantly deals with (sometimes on a daily basis).
Old 09-14-2015, 08:23 PM   #6
damien lisa
am i breaking u

i don't like it. But not that terrible, nothing to be upset

the artwork of the movie does not impress me either
Old 09-14-2015, 09:44 PM   #7
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesoleInBoston View Post
Here's an interview about writing the songs: http://www.westword.com/music/damien...rophet-7012396
I remember reading this article about his writing process for this song, specifically this part:
When you write music that is connected with a movie, even though it is someone else's story, do you try to draw parallels between that story and your own experience or do you detach your self from it?
The music part came pretty easily because Gibran's words inspire many mind-opening feelings which in turn bring out lots of different musical expression. I could have written many different kinds of melodies, of different styles and instrumentation, all based on inspired feelings from his writing. However, when asked to write a song with new words, not using Kahlil Gibran's, that was a challenge. The Prophet is such a complete piece of work in itself that adding any other words to the mix feels unnecessary. My approach was therefore to look at the insecurities that arose in me when I thought I couldn't do it, when I thought that I was not good enough to add anything, I wrote out those insecurities. Then I sat and imagined what the Prophet character might suggest to someone with those insecurities and the lyrics then formed from that imagined discussion. I still feel that my contribution is rather mediocre compared to what Gibran writes.. I guess I just did the best I could do considering the scenario.

I like the music, but don't love the "glossiness" of the lyrics. If this is how he actually felt and it was authentic, it would mean more to me, as his fan and a listener. But he "imagines" what the Prophet would advise, which feels contrived. Positive in message and inspiration, but contrived.

Last edited by InspirationDestination; 09-18-2015 at 03:21 PM.
InspirationDestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:23 AM   #8
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Default Lyrics

When you know who you are
And can see through your veils
Your old fears become wind in your sails.
Then your heart heaves unfurled
From the hypnosis of your world.

The darkness, the light
Love loves it all
Because love has no fight.
What has passed is a dream.
What is not here is not what it seems.

So pull yourself together now (2x)

And have nothing to hide
Love's at your feet
And the hands at your side.
When your ears are your words
The silence can always be heard.

You can't help but let go.
You know no one's right
And you know you don't know.
The paradox becomes less absurd
As your hypnosis unwhirls.

So pull yourself together now.

What's the matter with...
What's the matter with...
What's the matter with you?

Did it crunch?
Did it shatter?
Did it break up?
Did it scatter?
Did it tear
Your little heart in two?

What's done is over.
If you want something new
Just pull yourself together now.

So pull yourself together now. (3x)

All I have
Is all I need.
And all I need
Is here
Now.

Last edited by Spamlet; 09-15-2015 at 01:30 AM.
Spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:00 PM   #9
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

^Thank you for writing the lyrics out!

The lyrics and music are really so lovely, so I can't figure out why I can't fully connect to the song.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:22 PM   #10
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

I suspect it's because it really is such a huge departure that most people aren't able to accept it right away. If they keep listening (especially with headphones on) I have no doubt that the appreciation of this extraordinary song can't help but find its way to any true fan's ears.

I guess I am in the minority because I always hear people complain when Damo stretches his wings too much musically. Everyone seems to want another bare bones record similar to "O" whereas nothing excites me more than when he shocks us with a completely new sound (the first time I heard the album version of MFFF I honestly hoped and expected that every other song on it was going to be just as sonically ambitious).

By contrast, "Mustard Seeds" is possibly the most disappointing thing I have heard Damo do in about as long as I can remember. Everybody else here seems to love it but I find nothing really special about the lyrics and the music is (unintentionally or not) just a bunch of other famous songs all mushed together.

BTW, C'mon, Marti! "Stoic" has been around for like 7 years! Remember, we used to call it "Comfort You"? So the only thing new is the title.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:21 PM   #11
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

I admit that I do like the softer, more sparse songs about vulnerability. I know it is not practical for him to write about those same topics as he matures. I would definitely feel bad for him if he has not learned from his past ways of thinking and developed better coping skills.

Could he do the sparse songs using new insights? Maybe? I'm not opposed to new instrumentation either, but I am more drawn to strings or symphonic instruments as opposed to electric guitars and sounds.

I don't really like the "experimental" sounds that come from a lot of Icelandic artists (like Galagalactic) and I'm not into Sufjan Stevens-type things (talented, but his voice doesn't reach me). I don't mind odd, but I have to connect to it in some way that is too difficult to define. I think it's an intuitive feeling of honesty and authenticity.

I hope he stretches his wings in whatever manner he wishes. We all will just have to decide if it's right for us, I guess. I worry about being too critical on here, in case he reads, because I think he is very self-defeating. I don't want him to be discouraged and not produce.

Last edited by InspirationDestination; 09-18-2015 at 03:49 PM.