Go Back   The Igloo > Other Music > Other Music

Old 08-19-2005, 08:12 PM   #1
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Default Neil Young's "Prairie Wind" film

Neil Young's "Prairie Wind" blows onto big screen

Aug 19, 1:43 AM (ET)

By Ros Krasny

NASHVILLE, Tennessee (Reuters) - Music icon Neil Young blew into Nashville more like a gentle breeze than a hurricane on Thursday for the first of two concerts being filmed for a feature-length documentary.
Oscar-winning director Jonathan Demme ("The Silence of the Lambs") is shooting the gigs, which are based around Young's upcoming country-themed recording, "Prairie Wind."

"This place is like being in the middle of a big guitar ... there's a lot of spirit here," Young said as he took the stage at the Ryman Auditorium, the former home of country music's Grand Ole Opry.

Demme rented the one-time church for the film and to showcase the new songs, infused with a nostalgic theme of preserving what's good. Young underscored the mood by playing country music great Hank Williams' old guitar.

His backing musicians included Nashville veteran Emmylou Harris and the band from Young's new album, as well as the Fisk University Jubilee Singers and the Nashville String Machine.

Paramount Classics, the arthouse division of Paramount Pictures, is targeting "Prairie Wind" for release in late February or early March, a spokeswoman said. The album is due in U.S. stores on September 27.

The project comes at a time of reflection for Young, 59, who recorded the disc in Nashville last spring about the time he was diagnosed with a life-threatening brain aneurysm and had to undergo surgery in New York.

The concert was Young's first full-length show since his surgery and the death of his father, Canadian sportswriter Scott Young, in June.

The invitation-only concerts have been the buzz for weeks among the rocker's fans nationwide in a city better known for country music.

"I've been at it for 36 hours. It's the toughest ticket in town," said Chris Spiegl of Pegram, Tenn. as he left the auditorium empty-handed wearing a 1985 Young tour T-shirt. "I'd just like to buy him a beer."

In a career spanning almost 40 years, Young has dipped into many musical genres, from folk, electronica and pop to country, rock and grunge. His best-selling release is 1972's "Harvest," which also betrayed a rural wistfulness, thanks to such tunes as "Heart of Gold" and "Old Man." It also yielded a film, the poorly received "Journey Through the Past."

"Neil Young is the embodiment of rock and roll in all of its howling, exuberant, spontaneous, pissed-off, human glory," said Cathy Norden, an instructor at Chicago's Old Town School of Folk Music.
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 08:17 PM   #2
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

i saw this in the news today. neil's "rust never sleeps" is an awesome classic concert film and jonathon demme also directed the talking heads feature length concert film "stop making sense" which is one of the best i've ever seen so this should be pretty cool
Old 08-19-2005, 08:42 PM   #3
dramaking
King of Pain

this was the setlist on the first evening:
1. the painter
2. no wonder
3. falling off the face of the earth
4. far from home
5. it's a dream
6. prairie wind
7. here for you
8. this old guitar
9. he was the king
10.when god made me
11. i am a child
12. heart of gold
13. old man
14. the needle and the damage done
15. comes a time
16. four strong winds
17. old king
18. harvest moon
19. one of these days

the first ten songs are of his new record. i can't wait to hear the new record. it's coming with a dvd, they filmed the whole recording process! i have to say that i don't really like when god made me that much, but i hope the whole album will be better! i read a review and it says it will be a strong record!
and of course in november there will be "archives no.1" released! finally after all these years they will release the rare stuff of him! i'm really looking forward what songs are on this dvd.
and than of course this concert movie! so the next months we will hear a lot of new neil young stuff!
Old 08-19-2005, 11:36 PM   #4
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

sounds very exciting!
Old 08-20-2005, 06:02 AM   #5
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

^ it is kind of exciting! do you like neil too silent night?

thanks for the setlist christian! i wasn't crazy about when god made me either (tho you're a sweetheart for sending it to me - thx again for that) but i'm very interested to hear this new album. it sounds like it will have a country feel but i always like neil's excursions into different musical territory. i even liked trans though a lot of people didn't because it was so synth-based and he ran his vocals thru a vocoder but that's neil, once you think you have him pinned down he takes a hard left turn and suprises you. i kind of wish i was in nashville although it doesn't sound like theres a snowballs chance in hell getting into the shows, but i would love to see him perform again (and emmylou's there too! yay!) guess we'll have to wait for the film...

i was so worried when he had that aneurysm and then his father died? i didn't know that he's had a rough year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaking
and of course in november there will be "archives no.1" released! finally after all these years they will release the rare stuff of him! i'm really looking forward what songs are on this dvd.
i did not know this! it's a dvd? do we know what songs are going to be on it??
Old 08-20-2005, 09:51 AM   #6
dramaking
King of Pain

yeah, i guess he had a really hard year! fortunately he is feeling better now!
i really love trans too! it's an awesome record. transformer man is so good! but i guess really many fans were shocked...but it's cool that he always do what he wants. but some 80s records were really strange. i can't really stand old ways, it's a bit too much for me...
yeah, i guess there was not a chance to get tickets for the gig, but i'm really looking forward to see the concert film too. rust never sleeps is still one of my favourite music dvds!
archives vol. 1 will be a dvd. it's still a secret what songs are on it. it will be some early stuff in a really good quality. i hope that there will be some good versions of dance, dance, dance, everybodys alone and give me strength! these are really awesome songs! and it would be so cool if there are some early videos from 70s gigs! neil said it was a lot of work to do this!
the new album will definitely have a country feel. maybe it will be a bit like harvest moon! i found a description for all songs:

The Painter- 4:36

Acoustic, guitar, pedal steel, reminds me of `Good to See you?",
female backing vocals- great tune, grows on you with repeated
listening. Lots of colors. "If you follow every dream, you might get
lost."

No Wonder – 5:45

Destined to become a classic. Reminds me a bit of "The Old
Homestead". Strong acoustic, guitar. drums, bass, big backing
vocals, fiddle. First Prairie Wind reference, mentions Willie, 9/11,
Chris Rock. Soaring electric guitar solo over some great acoustic
work.

Falling Off the Face of the Earth 3:35

Neil's thank you message (to fans?). Possibly, in response to
overcoming his recent health scare. Some of the highest pitched
vocals we've heard from Neil in years, I don't know how he can still
hit those notes.

Far From Home - 3:47

A switch from the first 3 songs, more up tempo, big horns, honky
tonk style. He talks about family members, the Canadian Prairie
(where the buffalo, used to roam), Canadian geese, Uncle Bob, and
traveling down to Nashville. A happy, feel good song.

It's a Dream – 6:31

Quiet, acoustic piano, the beginning reminds me of "After the Gold
rush". Lush, orchestration, big strings, come in along with pedal
steel. Strong solo vocals, backed by full string section. More
nostalgic references back to Canada, fishing, birds, childhood, an
old man, trains, "with memories fading away".

Prairie Wind – 7:34

Funky, jazzy intro with horns, images of wheat fields, farmers on
the prairie, the northern sky, Indian spirits... Imagine Tonight's
the Night- meets Steely Dan. Lots of harp, organ, female (Pegi ?)
backing chorus.

Here for You – 4:32

A beautiful song, classic Neil, harp with pedal steel. This one
could have been on Harvest Moon or Silver and Gold. Clean, crisp
guitar playing over wailing pedal steel, the break has some more
string orchestration and backing vocals, great harp solos.

This Old Guitar – 5:32

Another great song, this one starts out sounding a lot like Bandit,
low tuning, low vocals with pedal steel and soft drumming. Some of
the riffs are reminiscent of Harvest Moon. I'm not sure who does the
backing vocals on this one, doesn't sound like Pegi

He Was the King 5:32

Neil's tribute to Elvis. The song starts out like an acoustic
version of `Piece of Crap', but quickly switches to a rowdy sing-
along (The last time I saw Elvis) with a catchy hook and refrain.
Horns, harp, pedal steel and great, funny lyrics

When God Made Me 4:05

I'm not sure how different this version is from the one he performed
at Live 8. It's the last song on the album, and the song keeps
growing on me. Since there were no liner notes, I'm not sure if it's
the same gospel background singers. It's a spine tingling anthem to
end the album.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:36 AM   #7
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Balls to annoying Neil , Uncle Springsteen will publish the DVD "VH1 Storytellers" (2 hrs acoustic gig filmed in USA in April, with songs from the new album as well) on 5th September.
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 04:49 PM   #8
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik
Balls to annoying Neil , Uncle Springsteen will publish the DVD "VH1 Storytellers" (2 hrs acoustic gig filmed in USA in April, with songs from the new album as well) on 5th September.
henny! *looks for the spanking smiley* springsteens alright i guess but he can't compare with neil the godfather of grunge!
Old 08-20-2005, 05:03 PM   #9
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
i really love trans too! it's an awesome record. transformer man is so good! but i guess really many fans were shocked...but it's cool that he always do what he wants. but some 80s records were really strange. i can't really stand old ways, it's a bit too much for me...
i wasn't crazy about that one or this notes for you either but hey they can't all be masterpieces it's cool he pushes the envelope and does what he wants even though it's not popular so he can grow artistically and musically, i admire him for that. i guess transformer man was written for his son ben who was born with cerebral palsey and the vocoder was actually a device his son used to communicate.. i love the song sample and hold on that album it's so different from his usual style (somebody compared it to kraftwerk) but it's still such a 'neil' song to me if that makes sense?

thanks for the song descriptions and all the good info! i consider you my ultimate resource on neil young now
Old 08-20-2005, 07:35 PM   #10
dramaking
King of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
i wasn't crazy about that one or this notes for you either but hey they can't all be masterpieces it's cool he pushes the envelope and does what he wants even though it's not popular so he can grow artistically and musically, i admire him for that. i guess transformer man was written for his son ben who was born with cerebral palsey and the vocoder was actually a device his son used to communicate.. i love the song sample and hold on that album it's so different from his usual style (somebody compared it to kraftwerk) but it's still such a 'neil' song to me if that makes sense?

thanks for the song descriptions and all the good info! i consider you my ultimate resource on neil young now
aww, this sounds good!
yeah, i know what you mean about "sample and hold"! it's a fantastic tune! do you have the "Q" special edition of neil young? there is an interesting interview with him. he said that the 80s records should be seen as one record, it would be more easier to undersand them than. and speaking of everybodys rockin he said he was definitely aware that this wasn't his best release. but in this phase of his life he wanted to do that and it was important for him to develop.
a friend of me saw neil during the trans tour, he said all the fans were shocked as he played the trans song. the whole audience were quiet! only during the classic songs they screamed! there is a dvd of one show during the trans tour! i still need this one! but i only found a ntsc one...
a little addition to the archives dvd: volume 1 will feature songs from 1963-1973!
Old 08-23-2005, 02:53 AM   #11
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
aww, this sounds good!
yeah, i know what you mean about "sample and hold"! it's a fantastic tune! do you have the "Q" special edition of neil young? there is an interesting interview with him. he said that the 80s records should be seen as one record, it would be more easier to undersand them than. and speaking of everybodys rockin he said he was definitely aware that this wasn't his best release. but in this phase of his life he wanted to do that and it was important for him to develop.
a friend of me saw neil during the trans tour, he said all the fans were shocked as he played the trans song. the whole audience were quiet! only during the classic songs they screamed! there is a dvd of one show during the trans tour! i still need this one! but i only found a ntsc one...
a little addition to the archives dvd: volume 1 will feature songs from 1963-1973!
haha christian now we've mentioned three of neil's less than spectacular albums (imo) so if anyone's reading (though christian and i may well be having this lovely conversation all on our lonesome ) and you're just getting into neil DON'T start with:

everybody's rockin
old ways
this notes for you

they're not really representative of the man and his music, start with harvest it's a classic, or what do you think would be a good one to start with chris?

that's so funny about people standing in stunned silence during the trans tour i can about imagine lol... hey i actually have that on vhs tape somewhere now that i think of it but it was recorded off tv and it's an old tape and poor quality... wonder if theres a bit torrent for that somewhere... i'm half inclined to go looking for it now
Old 08-23-2005, 09:28 AM   #12
dramaking
King of Pain

Quote:
haha christian now we've mentioned three of neil's less than spectacular albums (imo) so if anyone's reading (though christian and i may well be having this lovely conversation all on our lonesome ) and you're just getting into neil DON'T start with:

everybody's rockin
old ways
this notes for you

they're not really representative of the man and his music, start with harvest it's a classic, or what do you think would be a good one to start with chris?

that's so funny about people standing in stunned silence during the trans tour i can about imagine lol... hey i actually have that on vhs tape somewhere now that i think of it but it was recorded off tv and it's an old tape and poor quality... wonder if theres a bit torrent for that somewhere... i'm half inclined to go looking for it now
yeah, that's definitely right don't start with these records!
"harvest" is a really good suggestion to start with! another good album to start with would be in my opinion "after the gold rush".
oh cool, you have it already on vhs! i guess it's funny how he plays the trans songs live, right?
actually this thread made me to hear that album a lot lately!

they played "the painter" in the radio and i've found a copy of it! it's really great. it has a bit of the vibe of silver and gold or harvest moon! reminds me a bit of "good to see you" i've thought you might like to hear it melissa, so i've already send it to you!
Old 08-24-2005, 02:56 AM   #13
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

thanks for all the info

yes sister, i do like Neil Young, but you guys are gurus
Old 08-24-2005, 04:22 PM   #14
gomezxico
2day is 1day away from...

Quote:
i found a description for all songs:

The Painter- 4:36

Acoustic, guitar, pedal steel, reminds me of `Good to See you?",
female backing vocals- great tune, grows on you with repeated
listening. Lots of colors. "If you follow every dream, you might get
lost."

No Wonder – 5:45

Destined to become a classic. Reminds me a bit of "The Old
Homestead". Strong acoustic, guitar. drums, bass, big backing
vocals, fiddle. First Prairie Wind reference, mentions Willie, 9/11,
Chris Rock. Soaring electric guitar solo over some great acoustic
work.

Falling Off the Face of the Earth 3:35

Neil's thank you message (to fans?). Possibly, in response to
overcoming his recent health scare. Some of the highest pitched
vocals we've heard from Neil in years, I don't know how he can still
hit those notes.

Far From Home - 3:47

A switch from the first 3 songs, more up tempo, big horns, honky
tonk style. He talks about family members, the Canadian Prairie
(where the buffalo, used to roam), Canadian geese, Uncle Bob, and
traveling down to Nashville. A happy, feel good song.

It's a Dream – 6:31

Quiet, acoustic piano, the beginning reminds me of "After the Gold
rush". Lush, orchestration, big strings, come in along with pedal
steel. Strong solo vocals, backed by full string section. More
nostalgic references back to Canada, fishing, birds, childhood, an
old man, trains, "with memories fading away".

Prairie Wind – 7:34

Funky, jazzy intro with horns, images of wheat fields, farmers on
the prairie, the northern sky, Indian spirits... Imagine Tonight's
the Night- meets Steely Dan. Lots of harp, organ, female (Pegi ?)
backing chorus.

Here for You – 4:32

A beautiful song, classic Neil, harp with pedal steel. This one
could have been on Harvest Moon or Silver and Gold. Clean, crisp
guitar playing over wailing pedal steel, the break has some more
string orchestration and backing vocals, great harp solos.

This Old Guitar – 5:32

Another great song, this one starts out sounding a lot like Bandit,
low tuning, low vocals with pedal steel and soft drumming. Some of
the riffs are reminiscent of Harvest Moon. I'm not sure who does the
backing vocals on this one, doesn't sound like Pegi

He Was the King 5:32

Neil's tribute to Elvis. The song starts out like an acoustic
version of `Piece of Crap', but quickly switches to a rowdy sing-
along (The last time I saw Elvis) with a catchy hook and refrain.
Horns, harp, pedal steel and great, funny lyrics

When God Made Me 4:05

I'm not sure how different this version is from the one he performed
at Live 8. It's the last song on the album, and the song keeps
growing on me. Since there were no liner notes, I'm not sure if it's
the same gospel background singers. It's a spine tingling anthem to
end the album.
sounds great, can't wait to hear the new material.

"Argh! Why isn't this working?! Come on, Eskimo Friends, what's wrong with you?!...........Oh, I'm not logged in. "
gomezxico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 04:23 PM   #15
gomezxico
2day is 1day away from...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentNight
thanks for all the info

yes sister, i do like Neil Young, but you guys are gurus
i second that motion

"Argh! Why isn't this working?! Come on, Eskimo Friends, what's wrong with you?!...........Oh, I'm not logged in. "
gomezxico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:07 AM   #16
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
yeah, that's definitely right don't start with these records!
"harvest" is a really good suggestion to start with! another good album to start with would be in my opinion "after the gold rush".
oh cool, you have it already on vhs! i guess it's funny how he plays the trans songs live, right?
actually this thread made me to hear that album a lot lately!

they played "the painter" in the radio and i've found a copy of it! it's really great. it has a bit of the vibe of silver and gold or harvest moon! reminds me a bit of "good to see you" i've thought you might like to hear it melissa, so i've already send it to you!
christian!! thank you so much!! i'm listening to it right now and i really like it! i also liked the cover of for the turnstiles you sent me that your friend did she has a great voice!
Old 08-25-2005, 10:04 AM   #17
dramaking
King of Pain

aww, i'm glad you like the songs!
can't wait for the new album now!
Old 08-28-2005, 06:55 PM   #18
dramaking
King of Pain

you can watch a video of "the painter" here:
http://tinyurl.com/8anb6
Old 08-30-2005, 04:06 AM   #19
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

hey cool thanks chris! but my computer isn't letting me stream things lately so it won't play for me i'll try it again later after i'm done beating my comp into submission...
Old 08-30-2005, 02:12 PM   #20
dramaking
King of Pain

yeah, i can't play the video neither. with my slow connection it's impossible!
Old 08-30-2005, 02:51 PM   #21
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

thank you very much, i watched 'the painter', will be back for the other two. sooooorry for your slow connection
Old 08-30-2005, 06:02 PM   #22
dramaking
King of Pain

do you like the video?
be the rain is a great song!
the official side has streamed the song now www.neilyoung.com
Old 08-30-2005, 08:35 PM   #23
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

i love be the rain too. i love the live video. the other two i wasn't too impressed, besides, the screen is small.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:17 PM   #24
dramaking
King of Pain

is it the acoustic version of be the rain?
Old 08-31-2005, 04:01 AM   #25
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

it's a live version, big stage, alot of people dancing on the stage, even a house was set up there, very good atmosphere.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:08 PM   #26
dramaking
King of Pain

ah, i know that one! i have it on dvd. you can see there his daughter. and sun green is a friend of the daughter!
Old 09-02-2005, 01:48 PM   #27
dramaking
King of Pain

ah, i couldn't wait and so i've downloaded the new album! (but of course i will buy it when it's out)
it's really, really great. my favourite song on it is "no wonder"! it's such an awesome song! song no.4 and 6 has trumpets in it...i don't really like this instrument, but in "prairie wind" they are really cool! even "when god made me" is pretty good. at least it's better than the live version! the weakest song is in my opinion the elvis tribute song "he was the king"
it's a beautiful record and it seems that neil is in a really brilliant musically phase!
Old 09-19-2005, 08:35 PM   #28
dramaking
King of Pain

neil played a really cool and moving version of "southern man" on farm aid!
here is the direct link to it: www.thesongdog.de/rust/sounds/20050918_sm.mp3
Old 09-19-2005, 10:11 PM   #29
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
neil played a really cool and moving version of "southern man" on farm aid!
here is the direct link to it: www.thesongdog.de/rust/sounds/20050918_sm.mp3
hey thanks for the link! listening to it right now and it is a cool version! i'm in an ongoing argument (sort of) with a friend because i refuse to listen to lynyrd skynyrd - sweet home alabama since it was written as a response to this song... sorry i'm too loyal to neil and i agree with the sentiment of southern man (more so than redneck rockers and their opinions about my neil ) my ex had a backstage press pass to the first farm aid and i still have some pics he took there. coming from iowa i'm totally behind it and neil was one of the original founders which is very cool imo...

aww i wish i could hear the new album i want to buy it but i'm broke and my hard drive is so full i don't think it will hold anymore... glad to hear you approve tho dramaking it's definitely on my "to buy" list
Old 09-19-2005, 10:26 PM   #30
dramaking
King of Pain

Quote:
hey thanks for the link! listening to it right now and it is a cool version! i'm in an ongoing argument (sort of) with a friend because i refuse to listen to lynyrd skynyrd - sweet home alabama since it was written as a response to this song... sorry i'm too loyal to neil and i agree with the sentiment of southern man (more so than redneck rockers and their opinions about my neil ) my ex had a backstage press pass to the first farm aid and i still have some pics he took there. coming from iowa i'm totally behind it and neil was one of the original founders which is very cool imo...

aww i wish i could hear the new album i want to buy it but i'm broke and my hard drive is so full i don't think it will hold anymore... glad to hear you approve tho dramaking it's definitely on my "to buy" list
oh didn't know that it was a response to that song! oh cool, that your ex was at the first farm aid! how did he get this pass?
i would love to send you some songs of the new album! maybe when i just send my favourites it would be okay for your hard drive?