Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Other Music > Other Music

Old 03-10-2006, 11:10 PM   #1
Beevers_uk
Esquimal Conducido Pasión

Location: In My Sugar Coated World, Filled With Angels And Love And Happiness And... And You.
Default Gemma Hayes Tonight (Saturday)

IS anybody else of to see her?

Shes playing at 'The Leadmill'! I cant wait, im all hyper! Aghhhh!!

Im up at like 6 in the morining, to drive to Manchester, pick up a new car, then drive to Sheffield, see some family, go shopping, then see Gemma Hayes at 7! I cant wait! Im all giddy, and excited! Its my first Gemma Hayes gig!

Just wondered if anybody else was off? I think Richard is, but im not sure!

Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

- Im Not Who You Think I am, I Slipped A Stranger Inside -
...~Noelie Mcdonnell~...
- You'll Be My Muse, And I'll Be Your Poet -
...~My Myspace Thingy~...
Beevers_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 07:46 AM   #2
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Have fun and tell us then...!
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 07:49 AM   #3
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

oh yeah! enjoy your day and most of all the night then!
Old 03-12-2006, 01:42 AM   #4
Beevers_uk

Location: In My Sugar Coated World, Filled With Angels And Love And Happiness And... And You.

Well... What a ****ing class night!

WARNING!! WARNING!! WARNINIG!! WARNING!! WARNING!! WARNINIG!!

*This post, contains Happiness, Excitement, Lack of Romance, and May possibly, bring bad feelings to those who are single. IE. Me!*

Anyway....

The Scene.

A cold freezing night, in the centre of sheffield, i stood! Down what appeared to be a back street, and oppposite what i think was UNI dorms! Im lining up, freezing to death in some blue jeans, a white t-shirt, and a long bluey/green long sleeved top! Oh and my trusty old bag! And im stood wating, shaking from the cold and excitment. Anyway they dont let us in until 7.40, and i walk in! Ive never been to the leadmill, so i was like ok... "where do i stand?" But i went and bought a CD, and went through to the "Steel Stage" room. I sttod at the bar patiently, for about... 15 minutes, until i realised you get drinks at the other bar. So i potter on round, and get a drink! (Murpheys) And i potter on back in to the "Steel Stage" room. Anyway, i stand in the cornor, like the awkward man i am! I have choke to death in the fog machine, but it was ok, i like the smell!

About 20mins later, the support act come on! And may i say, they ****ing ruled my world! Oh my god, they were amazing! They were called... Duke Special , who are supporting the Frames, in Derry, on the 29th 04 06. Anyway, the play and they are amazing! God, go, go check them out! Go now, i'll wait...

..Dum de Dum... La LA LA LA LAAAAAAA

Oh your back ...Welcome back! So what you think? Good no? Anyway... They was awsome, they were so differnt, and amazing! Their lyrics were sooo poetic, but strange at the same time! Then after about... 20-25 mins! Miss Gemma Hayes comes on stage!

Woooooo! Normally im not attracted to blondes, but wow! She is sooo beautiful, and she cansing, and shes irish! She like.. Perfect! But she starts of with Happy Sad, and does somemore! To be honest i cant remember how the setlist went! I was gonna pick it up, but i couldnt find it, i think someone else did before me! She did her first set, then came back on for a encore, and she sang... "Something In The Way" Solo. Then her band cam back on, which may i say, the drummer reminded me a lot of Dave Grohl! But they came back on, and played two more songs! And that was it, i pottered back out when it finished, bought a T-Shirt, got a poster and some cool badges! hehe!! Then called my dad to pick me up!

OK, here is the romantic, heartbreaking thing is! well it is for me! I so enjoyed tonight, i was smiling all night, it was brilliant! I just wished i had a girl to go with! You know, she doesnt have to be going out with me, but we are cool and comfortable enought to cuddle or whatever. But i wish i could have like... Held someone while i wathced it, and felt them move, and sway and rock to the music.And feel her tap her fingers against me, to the drum beat! then when it had finished, we could speak about it all the way home, and just talk about it lol! Then when we got home, she could sleep at mine, and we would be wide awake, cause we would still be bouncing of the walls. And we would sit with a glass/bottle of red wine, and just talk about it, all morning! That kind of made me feel a bit poo on the way home like Somebody i could have stood behind while watching them play, and if i wanted to speak to her, i would have to brush her hair behind her ears. Or someone i could have stood with! I didnt mind going on my own, not at all! I felt grown up, which i never do although im frigging 20! And... awwwww man! It would have been amazing for someone to be there with me (girl. Girlfriend/Friend i dont mind) *Meh...*

But another sad story follows...

I was stood outside waiting to be picked up, in the freezing cold. and this man came up to me, about 40-45! and asked if i had any change! And i said course i did, and i gave him some change! And we started chatting the convo went like this...

The Man: "So what are yourself doing?"
Me: "Im a 'student'"
The Man: "Oh yeah, i guess you can call everyone a student really cant you? I mean, we are all learining something, omatter what its about!"
Me: "Yeah i suppose"
The Man: "I love learning stuff, anything! I have poor business skills, and thats where iam today. I would love to learn how to have my pride back, and dignity. I cannot look people in the eyes nomore, i feel embarressed (which is true, he squinted, and never looked me in the yes, just my lips)"
Me: "You cant lose your diginity, its always there. You may oubt it sometimes, but it is always there with you"
The Man: "Ive gotta go to B&C tomorrows (Funeral place), and see my father. He passed away a few days a go, and im just a little nervous and scared. Ive never seen a dead body before, do they make them look relaxed?"
Me: "I havent seen a dead body in real life, on in films and pictures. But, when they are in the funeral parlourr, they always look peacful and that"
The Man: "Yeah, ive only seen it in films too. I have to ring my brother, but i havent been able to get in contact with him."
Me: "How come?"
The Man: "Well, he has been of the drink for years, andnow this has happened [his father dying], hes gone back on it! getting wasted everynight with his friends. Trying to find answers in the bottom of a bottle, but theres more trouble in a bottle then answers"

Then this... this thing happened. Somebody dropped a coin on the floor. And made a 'ting' noise! (Drop a penny on the floor, thats the sound it made). He looked around and looked at me and said...

The Man: "Did you hear that?"
Me: "Yeah, the coin?"
The Man: "Yeah. Its not worht picking up though!"
Me: "How come?"
The Man: "It was only a penny or something. Look. And he dropped the money i gave him on the floor!(well a pound coin, and a twenty pence piece.)
"Here listen [drops the twenty pence coin on the floor] *ting*, you hear that?"
Me: "Yeah"
The Man : "Now here this... [drops the pound coin on the floor] *Tong*, you hear the difference? The pound coin is heavier, and bigger, so it makes more of a *thud* noise, when it makes impact with the ground. Whereas a penny or something smaller makes a *ting* noise!
Me: "aghhhh, ive never noticed that before"
The Man: "Yeah, its weird isnt it. But if you drop a 2pound coin on the floor, it makes a more of a *ting*noise then a pound coin! Even though its worth more, it doesnt sound the same."
Me: "what about a note though? thats silent, you never hear them hit the floor, how you spot them?"
The Man: "I dunno know, i never do. Well thanks for speaking. I hope you have a nice life, and thanks for the money."
Me: "Yeah, no problem! Thank you"

And he was gone. Gone! I just wanted to go for a drink with him, and talk to him! Go for a coffee, and know he had something warm inside him! And i was stood there, and i had a camera, a phone, a CD, nice clothes, nice bag, and my dad pulled up in a new car. And i saw him walking of in the distance, he had no socks on, just old trainers! and i swear it was like... 1 celcious. And... i dunno. I always moan cause i cant go to Ireland, or i cant go on holiday! but... Im soooo soooo lucky! Ive came home tonight, im here warm, watching TV, speaking to you guys! and hes in some YMCA, (If he is lucky and got in), or hes gone up the centre, and found refuge in some doorstep! And i just felt horrible. I really would have loved to have spoke to him more, hopefully got him to look me in my eyes when he spoke!

Thats the sadness over. I dunno if it was for anyone else, but it was for me!

PS there was this pretty girl! blonde again. And she was there with i assume her father, and all night i just wanted to go up and say...

"Hi, i probably look weird, here on my own! But do u want a drink?"

So in a vain chance im gonna say, if she is a Eskimo! Hi!

But i didnt

...~Noelie Mcdonnell~...

Last edited by Beevers_uk; 03-12-2006 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:45 AM   #5
Profandy
Having an eskimoment

Glad you enjoyed it Beevers . I saw Duke Special suport David Ford a few weks back - really good. A bit like Elton John meets Robert Smith meets grunge (but really good!)
Profandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 01:32 PM   #6
Beevers_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profandy
Glad you enjoyed it Beevers . I saw Duke Special suport David Ford a few weks back - really good. A bit like Elton John meets Robert Smith meets grunge (but really good!)
Yeah they were ace. Totally different to what i thought they would be like! That drummer is sooo funny! did they do the song where he spoke thorugh the Grammer phone speaker lol! And the song where he had the whisk, and he hit it against the symbol, and the cheese grater!! lol!!

Here are some pictures! they are not the best, as it was really foggy, andi had a crap camera with me!

...~Noelie Mcdonnell~...

Last edited by Beevers_uk; 03-12-2006 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:04 PM   #7
maryb21
Colombian Eskimo

HOOOT!
Old 03-12-2006, 10:22 PM   #8
Beevers_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryb21
HOOOT!
I know shes sooooo sooo beautiful!!

...~Noelie Mcdonnell~...
Old 03-12-2006, 10:29 PM   #9
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

the story with the man almost mada me cry . why don't you have a girl? i have no idea. you 're sweet, you're sensitive, you're cute, you're perfect. you will find a nice girl soon
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:36 PM   #10
Rovena
what will you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali
the story with the man almost mada me cry . why don't you have a girl? i have no idea. you 're sweet, you're sensitive, you're cute, you're perfect. you will find a nice girl soon
I agree 100%!!!! I don't understand it either...

I would go out with you if I didn't have a boyfriend..
Rovena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:42 PM   #11
Beevers_uk

Quote:
I warned you! Dont say i didnt warn you Cali! hehe!

I though about him today, wondered if he got in contact with his brother, and went to see his dad?I hope he did! I hope he got the courage to go and see him, and he looked peaceful!

Wehn i was walking home, i was freezing! I had a T-Shirt and a Long sleeved T-shirt on, and my normal clothes with a JAcket! and i was Freezing. And i thought about him, and i hoped he was somewhere warm, and not walking around cold.

I was walking to my friends house tonight, and i was behind an old man! And he just stopped outside of a pub called 'the telegraph'. And he turned around and saw me, and i took my earphones out to speak to him. And he said something to me, but i couldn't understand what he was saying! He spoke with a real real thick yorkshire accent, and my whole family have real thick acccents, and i can understand them. But couldnt understand him, and i felt so bad! I dont think he was able to, erm... speak properly if you know what i mean? And i felt like such a prick cause i couldn't answer him back!

The only girls that i seem to like, or are attracted to me live miles and miles away, or have boyfriends! lol!!

...~Noelie Mcdonnell~...
Old 03-12-2006, 10:43 PM   #12
Beevers_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovena
I agree 100%!!!! I don't understand it either...

I would go out with you if I didn't have a boyfriend..
Awww shooks lol!!

...~Noelie Mcdonnell~...
Old 03-12-2006, 10:46 PM   #13
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

so that's why you don't have a girl, you're only attracted to unavailable girls, but that's what makes them so attractive. eh, that happens to me to, i like people that i can't have and when i do get them, i get bored
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:53 PM   #14
Beevers_uk

Quote:
so that's why you don't have a girl, you're only attracted to unavailable girls, but that's what makes them so attractive. eh, that happens to me to, i like people that i can't have and when i do get them, i get bored
Yep you got it! You spend ages and ages pining over her/him, months years in some caeses. Then wehn you finaly have that moment to shine, and you start going out. Well, its not the same lol! Well im guessing, ive never been that far with someone who ive pined over for so long, and never been unable to be with her. Ive just normally stuck to women, who are in distance of me, and single lol!

But that girl last night, was sooo sooo purty!

...~Noelie Mcdonnell~...
Old 03-12-2006, 11:47 PM   #15
maryb21
Colombian Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beevers_uk
I know shes sooooo sooo beautiful!!
Hot you silly, not her.
And oh yeah, why are you ignoring me on messenger???
Old 03-12-2006, 11:49 PM   #16
Beevers_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryb21
Hot you silly, not her.
ohhhh lol! Shes much more prettier then me though!

...~Noelie Mcdonnell~...
Old 03-13-2006, 10:51 AM   #17
netheredgeman
Eskimo Regular

set list was

01. Happy Sad
02. Another for the Darkness
03. Hanging Around
04. Undercover
05. Easy on the Eye
06. Back of My Hand
07. Two Step
08. Lucky One [Bird of Casadaga]
09. Whole Wide World ^
10. Nothing Can
11. Something in my Way
12. Let a Good Thing Go

^ Wreckless Eric cover. Original version was ca 1977, which i remember as well being a mere 21 year old then.

good gig - she's getting better by the year since i started seeing her in concert from Aug 2002. last octobers gig in birmingham was probably better for the acoustics etc . Saturdays gig was the 6th time i've seen her in the UK. Highlights for me were Lucky One , Something in my way and hanging around. was a bit diappointed that eveing sun wasn't aired as the final song of the night - maybe next time

The Leadmill has 3 rooms for music - the Main Stage which has a capacity of 700 , whereas the Steel Stage or the second room only has a capacity of 250 [ bit like the Black Hole of calcutta with refreshments when full].

Saturday night was comfortable. Regina Spektor played the same room in January and it was worse than a game of sardines - that show should have been on the mainstage.

Sometimes, the stages change depending upon ticket sales. leaves played there in October or November 2005 - they were booked for the main stage but ended up playing to 35 of us on the smaller stage.
netheredgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:05 AM   #18
Beevers_uk

haha! I loved the Wreckless Eric cover I had never heard of it before, but i really really liked it!

How come she didnt play "evening Sun"? Did she run out of time? I think she was meant to finish at 10. Or maybe half past.

My favourite ones had to be "Something in the way", was brilliant! exspecially on her own! And "Easy on the eye", the story before it was pretty funny to!!

Where abouts is the Third room? Is it oposite the "steel Stage?

I cant wait till the next one!!

...~Noelie Mcdonnell~...
Old 03-13-2006, 12:08 PM   #19
netheredgeman
Eskimo Regular

the third room was the bar for the night i.e the one that was OPEN and SERVING alcoholic bevvies.

early finish was for the night club session afterwards - this is not unusual. Tom McRae dodn't like the idea and continued to play for 20 minutes over the 'curfew' time which was brilliant.

Jason Mraz @ the leadmill on 27 May should be a good night as well. Fibbers in york 26 March should be agood night as well - sandy dillon and jeff klein
netheredgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:21 PM   #20
Beevers_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by netheredgeman
the third room was the bar for the night i.e the one that was OPEN and SERVING alcoholic bevvies.
Haha!! I looked like a right fool! lol! There was a stage where i was there on my own i think lol! But the Guitar tech did come up to me and say, was i working here! lol! That put a smile on my face, i'd love to work there lol! (im easily pleased )

I was considering going to the Jason Mraz, but im not sure yet!

This was posted over on the official. If it's true, it looks very promising........

"Hello eveyone,

Gemma's show at Manchester Academy 3 was recorded for Channel M. A channel which is a dedicated to Manchester and transmits to the Greater Manchester region FREE through your aerial or on NTL cable.

However the Channel gets it's SKY launch in april and therefore if you have SKY you will be able to see the transmission of the gig.

The show will be part of a new series dedicated to Manchester music and artists playing in Manchester venues.

Keep an eye on Channel M even if you don't live in Manchester, the new music programming for this year and the future is very exciting.

As the director of the Gemma Hayes programme I can tell you that the gig looks and sounds fantastic, the show is presently at the edit stage and I cannot confirm at this point a time and date for it's broadcast.

Cheers

Matt Barraclough
Channel M - Producer/Director"

(Taken From... a Gemma Hayes Fansite)

...~Noelie Mcdonnell~...

Last edited by Beevers_uk; 03-13-2006 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:14 PM   #21
Aisling
Mel is so hot right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl
I have choke to death in the fog machine, but it was ok, i like the smell!
lovehearts
Old 03-14-2006, 02:25 PM   #22
Beevers_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling
lovehearts

...~Noelie Mcdonnell~...
Old 03-14-2006, 02:40 PM   #23
Aisling
Mel is so hot right now

to me, the fog from fog machines tastes like lovehearts. the sweets like.