Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 08-20-2003, 04:31 PM   #1
LisaOBrien
Eskimo Regular

well i went last night. after an hour and a half wait to park me and Bridget ran to the stage to find the support act "Stew" (whoever they are) still on...crisis overted we went off for some beer...mooohahahhha [img]smileys/smiley15.gif[/img]
the crows came on at 8 and played until 10.10..they were awesome...they played 1) Rain King 2) Hard Candy 3) Mr Jones 4) Miami 5) Big Yellow Taxi 6) Black and Blue 7) Blue Caddilacs 8) Omaha 9) was some song i didnt know 10)Round here mixed with Goodnight Elizabeth 11) Hanging Round (wow) and encore was 12) Long December. they were amazing. better than slane.
Mayer was good, he sounded just like a cd to be honest. every note was spot on, every lyric perfect. he wasn't as bad as the press he's been getting the last few weeks "Mayer doesn't speak to fans.." blah blah...he was nice to the crowd and he played all the favourites. once he played "Body is a Wonderland" = song 6 we left..the crows were good enough for me....[img]smileys/smiley20.gif[/img] life is good....
LisaOBrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 08:31 PM   #2
ThePennydrops
Eskimo Friend

I'mglad you had a good time- although they're not my thing I do rate the Counting Crows (although their cover of Big Yellow Taxi was pants) their lead singer has such a distinctive voice. However I'm not really a fan of Mayer- he seems a bit average to me (and I'd hate to go to a performance that sounded just like a CD- might as well stay at home and listen to the CD). But it sounds like the Crows were really good!
Old 08-26-2003, 09:01 PM   #3
tasha039
Eskimo Regular

oi, I hate John Mayer. I was at the John Mayer-Counting Crows concert I went to out here in Sothern California was awesome. My boyfriend and stayed through the opening act (which may have been different from yours-I cannot think of who it is offhand right now...I will get back to you on that.) and saw Counting Crows, whose set list is similar to yours, Lisa. Then we left when Mayer came on because there were a bunch of drunk college guys who just obnoxious and in addition we do not like John Mayer. I think Hard Candy, regrettably may be their last album because they have seemed to burn out...but I wish they would never stop. It's all about the music. I figured out the opening act, they are called Maroon 5Edited by: tasha039
tasha039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 09:07 PM   #4
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

from what ive heard of John Mayer i really like him... and can anyone tell me the name of the album with the goldfish bowl on it that counting crows released? cos we used that image for the play we did...

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 09:19 PM   #5
tasha039
Eskimo Regular

oi, those safe sex safes are entrancing...make them stop
Old 08-26-2003, 10:10 PM   #6
LisaOBrien
Eskimo Regular

the goldfish bowl thing is this desert life..
Old 08-26-2003, 10:13 PM   #7
LisaOBrien
Eskimo Regular

nah...it wasnt maroon 5 ( i actually like them) it was a band from PA called stew...some guys in their 60s lousey!! the crows were the bomb...i hope they never stop making the music
Old 08-27-2003, 01:11 AM   #8
tasha039
Eskimo Regular

I like Maroon 5 pretty okay. I will have to listen more though to judge them. PA as in Pennsylvania or someplace in Ireland? Oh I love everything about the Crows. The poetry of lyrics, their live shows are phenomonal...just everything. I hope they never stop making music either, but it makes you wonder if they will turn out crappy music...I do not think Adam would do that. I just found out that 'Carriage' from Hard Candy was about Adam's liason with an ex turned out into pregnancy and she ended up miscarring it. At their recent concert I went to, they did Van Morrison's 'Sweet Thing' inside one of their songs. It was soooooooooooooo good. No words to explain Crows live.
Edited by: tasha039
Old 08-27-2003, 09:59 AM   #9
LisaOBrien
Eskimo Regular

PA as in Pennslyvania. there is NO words to describe the crows live. the energy that duritz displays on stage is almost surreal. my favourite at this last concert was Round here mixed with Goodnight Elizabeth.....sweet. the two songs mingle perfectly together. the crows are genius. i just love them.
i didnt know that about Carraige [img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2003, 07:50 PM   #10
tasha039
Eskimo Regular

the crows concert I attended I do not think I got to see Adam's energy. It was as if he was 'doing another show.' You know what I mean.

Every cc fan needs to experience one of their concerts at least once in their lifetime.

Carriage...the lyric are so heartbreaking. I cannot imagine being a guy and having to go through that. Regardless of irresponsibility.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:58 PM   #11
Scon
Eskimo Regular

Mayer does speak to his fans. I met him in Whelan's and he was a nice guy to a non-fan like me [] I agree about him sounding like a CD though. I liked him when I heard the live recordings of just him and his guitar around his first album. Then I bought RFS's and couldn't believe how badly produced it was. When I saw him live, it was horrible seeing him replicate the albums production with the band... but the show had its good moments and I still enjoyed it.
Scon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 09:12 PM   #12
tasha039
Eskimo Regular

My hang-up with John Mayer is simple his music sucks. It is playing constantly here in the states then it begins to lose it's first appeal. Like if Damien hit it really, really big, like Brittany Spears style, Damien would be disrespected...sorry to say.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:44 AM   #13
gally45
Eskimo Regular

I agree with you that over playing songs can ruin them but i dont think if damien hit it really big in america he would be disrespected. Look at dave matthews band for example there absolutely massive in the states with the biggest attendances of any band over there and their music is also heard everywhere but their still brilliant at the end of the day its all about the music......damien rice dave matthews = good, brittney, christina et al.= bad![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
gally45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 02:39 PM   #14
tasha039
Eskimo Regular

no...Dave Matthew's only good album was crash and after that it was downhill, gospel bullsh*t.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:24 PM   #15
kavu478
Eskimo Regular

Tasha...come on...maybe the new stuff isn't near as good as the old albums, but I think he is coming full circle. He is still one of the best live acts out there. I'd expect him to come back to the formula he strayed from. Some would argue that the same thing happend to the Counting Crows (i.e. big yellow taxi...yikes!)

I would have to agree... we've got "overkill" down to an art form over here in the states. Radio makes 'em and brakes 'em. Selfishly, I too don’t want to see Damien get big in the states…I think we would ruin him.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:48 PM   #16
tasha039
Eskimo Regular

I know what you mean about the radio thing. And the worst part is, it is a state of mind not what is actually happening. It doesn't matter to me how many times I hear Mr. Jones, it still has not killed it for me. I almost do not want Damien to go on radio or t.v. because you can just see how a good band, really good, gets torn down by entertainment. I mean I would want Damien to have success etc., but I would rather his art, his lyrics be preserved. HOpefully he is not one of those people who are affected by fame.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:50 PM   #17
LisaOBrien
Eskimo Regular

i agree the yikes factor on big yellow taxi but...mr jones...x 100000000 and it's still my favourite song. i like john mayer...but i can honestly say that i can sing you "Body is a wonderland" backwards...while drunk and balancing a spoon on my nose...
Old 08-29-2003, 12:44 AM   #18
kavu478
Eskimo Regular

very nice...
Old 08-29-2003, 06:07 AM   #19
gally45
Eskimo Regular

I think busted stuff was a big improvement on everyday and his solo album some devil is out in a few weeks which has tim reynolds involved so i have big hopes for it..but crash probably is his best studio album alright
gally45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 12:25 PM   #20
kavu478
Eskimo Regular

Yeah...your right...but live album would have to "red rocks." Personally, Live at Luther is my fave...simple and raw.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:26 PM   #21
kavu478
Eskimo Regular

you know...we should start a DMB thread.

Sweet! I'm moving up...Eskimo Busker!
Old 08-29-2003, 12:36 PM   #22
tasha039
Eskimo Regular

yeah...i am a roadie. I saw your body is a wonderland video this morning and I newarly smacked the t.v. down in anger.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:46 PM   #23
Angela
Eskimo Regular

I must admit I belong to the "I cannot STAND John Mayer" camp.[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

I bet Lisa's cover of "Your Body Is A Wonderland" is class, tough! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 03:59 PM   #24
tasha039
Eskimo Regular

wow, Lisa did a cover...that would be awesome to hear. Is there a link? The lyrics are okay it is just that John Mayer...need I say more?
Old 08-29-2003, 06:07 PM   #25
Angela
Eskimo Regular

see Lisa's message above:

" i can sing you "Body is a wonderland" backwards...while drunk and balancing a spoon on my nose..."

Watch for a DVD in stores soon! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2003, 06:19 PM   #26
tasha039
Eskimo Regular

oh crap, I thought you meant Lisa Hannigan. I thought that was a little odd...That would be sort of amusing to see Lisa (o'brien) do that.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:35 PM   #27
Angela
Eskimo Regular

To be honest, I'm glad the "other" Lisa is staying away from that one! [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2003, 08:44 AM   #28
LisaOBrien
Eskimo Regular

hey! it could be our first single for the band ang?? talented i am! haha! ahhhh brilliant.....[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
lmao!
Old 08-30-2003, 08:44 AM   #29
LisaOBrien
Eskimo Regular

lisa hannigan could do a cover of our song moohahhaha im just kidding!