Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 11-16-2006, 07:24 PM   #1
mickey13086
Eskimo with a name..Chris

Default Spain

You know, I don't care much about Spain and I'm not from Spain and I never have been... but its always been interesting to me that Damien doesn't play there (correct me if I'm wrong)...but I thought I remember him saying he never plays there.... and I was wondering if anyone knew the real reason behind it.

MySpace
mickey13086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

he's mentioned he would like to live there someday so doesn't want to be recognized in spain. or something like that
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:34 PM   #3
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

I seem to remember him saying he hangs out in Barcelona a lot, cause he has friends over there. It's possible I dreamt that though.
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:10 PM   #4
mickey13086
Eskimo with a name..Chris

thanks cali and closing... i hate when im not sure if i dreamt something or not.

MySpace
mickey13086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:19 PM   #5
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Hi I'm from... Barcelona!!! A lot of singer-songwriters NEVER PLAY in Spain... because they are not that popular due to LANGUAGE PROBLEM!!! People in Spain are pretty crap at languages, especially English, so no one understand the lyrics at all And seriously, that's a big issue, especially for singers whose lyrics are a "key" issue. If you look at the Spanish charts, it's mostly Spanish artists or really famous International artists ala U2... and that's why most artists skip Spain...

It's the same for instance with Tori Amos, she's played thousands of gigs in Europe but never ever in Spain. And on her last tout she did like 6 shows in Italy but none in Spain. I really think it's a language problem...

by the way, in the San Francisco bootleg I got, Damien tells the "Barcelona story", after someone in the audience asks him to. He starts mentioning that Barcelona is in a part of Spain called Catalonia, which is very different from the rest, where they speak a language called Catalan and they consider themselves not-Spanish (which is 100% true by the way, so Damo is well-informed). Then he says that the city is very cool, chill out and that people are very relaxed, people like him with smelly clothes and not taking showers He also says he met very interesting people there. He says the food is good, the weather nice, almost no rain, by the sea...He ends saying it's quite similar to San Francisco!!
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:29 PM   #6
Johan PV
Eskimo Fan

Angry

I hate what damien does with Spain!

I'm from spain, from Barcelona, and I'm glad he like my city, but why he dont come? FOR MONEY?????? For what reason? If it's really for money... it's ashame. Lots of artists come to Barcelona to sing, and they dont come for the money. If he really love the music, he have to come. I went to Paris a year ago just to listen him. I will search the way to send a letter to him to ask him about. I'm upset because of he wont come.
Johan PV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:37 PM   #7
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

salut!!! i didn't know you guys were from barcelona, visca el barça i would love to live there someday too. you're right borneoman, right after tongue, damo tells the barcelona story
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:44 PM   #8
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

I think it is because he likes Spain too much and wants to be able to go there on holliday and not be recognised...

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:48 PM   #9
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

But Barcelona now is one of the top destinations in Europe (if not the first...), so maybe Spanish people won't recognise him, but the cazillions of English tourist will
Old 11-16-2006, 11:27 PM   #10
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

He'll probably head for the hills... but yeah I don't think he knew how big he would become when he came up with that plan. So maybe he'll change his mind...

Old 11-17-2006, 04:08 AM   #11
Soleillily
Eskimo Shutterbug

I also remember reading somewhere that Damien said he doesn't play there cos he'd like to live there one day and want's to remain anonymous there....
Old 11-17-2006, 10:06 PM   #12
Timeé
Intello

i doubt very much damien choses where to tour because of 'money'.

well i hope so anyway
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 04:27 PM   #13
sandy
Eskimo Baby

Angry It's not fair!!!

He doesn't play in Spain because he doesn't want to be recognised??? Come on!!! And what about us, spanish fans!!!?? we also buy his cd's and we deserve having the chance to see him playing live!!!

Besides, I don't think that if he plays here one or two gigs he would be more recognised... there are plenty of places where he could end up living in Spain and I can assure you not even his nighbours would notice him...
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 04:49 PM   #14
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy
He doesn't play in Spain because he doesn't want to be recognised??? Come on!!! And what about us, spanish fans!!!?? we also buy his cd's and we deserve having the chance to see him playing live!!!

Besides, I don't think that if he plays here one or two gigs he would be more recognised... there are plenty of places where he could end up living in Spain and I can assure you not even his nighbours would notice him...
Go to France then, me and my friend flew all the way to Ireland to go see him at Vicar Street in August
Dean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:18 PM   #15
Ince
Eskimo Baby

I also live in Barcelona, and I don't want to start a political thread but.. not 100% of people who live in Barcelona or Catalonia speak Catalan. Barcelona is differente from other cities in Spain but not too much.

If Damien wants to live in Barcelona, I'm sure he souldn't have any problem. Many famous people live in Barcelona, so that is not a reasonable excuse for not touring in Spain.
Ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:07 PM   #16
sandy
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean C
Go to France then, me and my friend flew all the way to Ireland to go see him at Vicar Street in August

Yeah,sure!!!!

First of all, his gigs in France this time are in March, not in the summer time unfortunately..., people usually work in March, you know...?

Second, not everyone can afford buying the ticket for the gig and another one for the plane, train, bus or whatever means of transport necessary to get there....
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:49 PM   #17
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

I'd say he'll have to change his plan not to play Spain... so many people know him there whether he plays there or not...

Old 04-11-2007, 01:12 PM   #18
Danilo Roid
Eskimo Baby

Hi everybody! I'm new at Eskimo Friends I'm from Italy but I live in Barcelona.
I heard Damien was supposed to perform there in october and I started to search online. Then I found an article from "El Cultural" that states he actually lives in Barcelona....

"Damien Rice es un artista atípico. Difícil de clasificar y de biografía esquiva, este irlandés, residente en Barcelona [...]"

Now. I don't know if that's true.
I'm happy that Damien loves the city I decided to live in too but I am not so happy if this means no concerts in Barcelona.
I hope that he will change his mind.

Danilo Roid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:25 PM   #19
muskoxen
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali
he's mentioned he would like to live there someday so doesn't want to be recognized in spain. or something like that
exactly. he goes there for like, vacation. and he wants to someday live there and doesn't want to be recognised as well. so he doesn't tour there.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:59 PM   #20
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoxen
exactly. he goes there for like, vacation. and he wants to someday live there and doesn't want to be recognised as well. so he doesn't tour there.
I suppose this is a wee bit idealistic in the age of itunes and youtube... Spain is not North Korea.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:26 PM   #21
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

You can hear the man himself talking about Spain in this video that Sister Midnight linked a while ago:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...94931586&hl=en

He talks about Spain about 18 min in:

"We don't play in Spain, we don't tour Spain, i just take time off there, I just want to have somewhere that I can go and where I don't see the record in the shops, I don't see posters, and where people don't stop me, not that I have a problem with that, but it's nice to able to go somewhere where you just be absolutely lost and being yourself again"

Watch the whole thing!! The music is amazing and he has some interesting comments like this one about being "Lost":

"I'm still lost, i'm still confused, I still have no idea what i'm doing in life, i love life, I hate it, i love people and I hate people, I love myself and I hate myself, I'm still in conflict, i'm hopeful: i'm still a mess"

He also uses a funny food comparison, says he's not McDonalds but a little organic cafe. He also talks about the use of The Blower's Daughter in Closer. And all that dressed in the most famous shirt in history! Watchit
Old 04-12-2007, 12:39 AM   #22
Danilo Roid
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
"where I don't see the record in the shops"
...When did he say that? lol:
You can find Damien's records in Spain. Many people know him even though he doesn't play here. And -I mean- he's not Michael Jackson, I think he could walk in Barcelona without being stopped. Probably a british tourist would do that.
Danilo Roid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:49 AM   #23
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

That was a while ago, couple years ago I'd say
Old 04-12-2007, 01:18 AM   #24
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean C
snap
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:56 AM   #25
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
You can hear the man himself talking about Spain in this video that Sister Midnight linked a while ago:

"I'm still lost, i'm still confused, I still have no idea what i'm doing in life, i love life, I hate it, i love people and I hate people, I love myself and I hate myself, I'm still in conflict, i'm hopeful: i'm still a mess"
... the best part for me (except for the songs, of course)...

and that shirt!... OMG!

hey! we (in argentina) don´t have his record in the shops, don´t have poster, and people surely doesn't stop him, he could be absolutely lost and being himelf again...

so, damien... it´s time for you to come to argentina!

ps: sistermidnight... i know i gave you thanks at that time... but i need to do it again. so, THANK YOU!